Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
looking for a 10" tablet
2162 18 2016-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oscrfsh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79154 ft
United States

im looking to upgrade from my tiny s5 phone. I am wondering which tablet everyone uses. i would love a 10" , i am not a fan of apple. so i am hoping to stick with a samsung. what is the best tablet to use with my p3p
2016-9-11
Use props
mjlstudios
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would love a 10 in. too!
2016-9-11
Use props
labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A ten inch tablet would be too big for me.
I've used a 7 and 8 inch tablet and 8" is OK but the 7" was the perfect size for handling and still big enough to see everything.
2016-9-11
Use props
roymoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143901 ft
United States

Learn from my lesson.
I too wanted a 10 inch tablet just for my P3S.
The standard connects to the controller via WiFi not usb.
So I ordered a cheapo from ebay. $56
Screen resolution 1024x600.
I figured if I strip all the fluff out of it there should be no problem.
Well no go. No live video and says no signal.
I think it's the screen resolution. It won't down scale.
After removing the fluff and rooting, the thing is very fast.
It just can't handle 1280x720.

Now my wife's Asus 1920x1080 tablet has no problem.
But I can't keep walking off with it. Her games are on it.

My take away is that almost any tablet is fast enough if you remove the fluff.
But you got to have 1280x720.
2016-9-11
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

roymoon Posted at 2016-9-11 18:34
Learn from my lesson.
I too wanted a 10 inch tablet just for my P3S.
The standard connects to the co ...

I have a P3A and I tried several Apple devices along with Android ones. My I-phone 6 and my Galaxy 6S both worked great but was a little small to view, so I tried a couple older I-pads and a newer LG and one other newer android tablet. You need to be careful about getting something with good processor speed and some RAM. After trying all of the mentioned above and reading a lot on the forums, I settled on a Nvidia Sheild. Fast processor and 1GB of RAM and it works perfectly. I have the latest FW version for the copter and RC, and latest DJI-Go app version. I have absolutely no issues with any of it. I am very pleased with the video with the Sheild. The others were choppy like has been mentioned. I did disable most of the apps on it but I do still have Google services on and a couple other apps. Anyway, I am not a big Apple fan and really didn't want to spend a bunch for an I-pad of any kind....they can get really costly. The Nividia is an 8" tablet (android) and I got it for $150 used on Ebay. If look around you can find them pretty reasonable.
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just keep in mind that a 10'' tablet would not fit on the standard P3 Pro device holder. The largest tablet it can fit is the size equivalent of an iPad Air 2. I have seen some 3rd party extensions for that holder, but you will want to be careful of putting too much weight on the bracket.
2016-9-11
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

I tried a 10 inch Tablet, it did fit in the holder but the video was not good (may have been simply the tablet and not so much the size). Bought a Samsung 8 inch and can see everything just fine on the display and is not as unwieldy in the holder. I also moved from a S5.
2016-9-11
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha oscrfsh,

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (inch) is what you want.  As DJI-Jamie says, it is not supposed to fit, but it does - just barely.  You have to stretch out the holder as far as it can go and the foam allows it to slip in.  I have been using mine for more than a year to fly P3P and P4.  One secret is to put Painter's Tape over the foam on the top and bottom so it will slide in and out easier - and it just barely does.  My foam supports are still in good shape.

But, the USB port is in the middle on the bottom, and the slot on the device holder on the bottom is just too narrow for a USB cable.  So, I had to use my Dremel Mototool to grind the slot a little wider.  You can also use a rat-tail file for better precision.  

Because I have the two Phantoms, I bought a nVidia Shield K1 from the nVidia web site and it is arriving tomorrow.  It has an 8 inch display but I plan to use it with my HeadPlay HD goggles.  The nVidia Shield K1 is only $200 from nVidia, plus shipping to Hawai'i for me, otherwise shipping is free.  It has an HDMI port for goggles.  It is the most popular Android device in this Forum and from what I have seen (my friend has one) it is deserving of the reputation.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-12
Use props
oscrfsh
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-11 23:23
Just keep in mind that a 10'' tablet would not fit on the standard P3 Pro device holder. The largest ...

i was unaware... i thought that a 10 inch tablet fit with the mount that came with the p3p
2016-9-12
Use props
oscrfsh
lvl.1
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-12 01:38
I tried a 10 inch Tablet, it did fit in the holder but the video was not good (may have been simply  ...

what tablet did you get
2016-9-12
Use props
oscrfsh
lvl.1
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-12 07:31
Aloha oscrfsh,

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (inch) is what you want.  As DJI-Jamie says, it ...

wow great info...yea i was looking to spend not much more then 200 bcks seeing this will be pretty much all it is used for. i hav never heard of this brand.
2016-9-12
Use props
oscrfsh
lvl.1
United States

i do have the first model of the asus nexus 7 ...not a bad little tablet...but there is a way you have to get around things to get it to work, for some reason i sstill cant get mine to connect.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

oscrfsh@hotmail Posted at 2016-9-13 03:23
i was unaware... i thought that a 10 inch tablet fit with the mount that came with the p3p

An iPad Air 2 is about 9.5'', so 10'' tablet is just a tad big. You may be able to get away with it if the tablet is skinnier, but there are not a lot of tablets that meet that proportion. The mobile device holder can hold tablets with widths up to 169.5 mm (6.67 in).
2016-9-12
Use props
Viridis
Captain
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most Android tablets are 16:9 whereas the ipad 9.5 is 4:3 which is wider.
Depending on bezel size, most 10.1 tabkets may fit in the holder, Xperia tablet Z4 does but tablet Z (original)  won't due to bezel.
It's worth checking specs on manufacturers site to make sure the 10.1 tablet is within the limits if the stock holder.
2016-9-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

oscrfsh@hotmail Posted at 2016-9-12 09:26
wow great info...yea i was looking to spend not much more then 200 bcks seeing this will be pretty ...

Aloha oscrfsh,

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 is an exact fit to the stock device holder for both P3P and P4.  But it is $300-$400 and it is 4:3 aspect ration like the DJI GO app.  The processor is powerful enough to handle the DJI GO app and all the needs of the Phantoms.  There is no lag if you shut down all but the most essential apps.  (Shutting down non-essential apps is the secret to reducing lag on all devices.)

The nVidia Shield K1 is your best bet but has the 8" display, 16:9 aspect ratio, easily fits in the device holder and costs $200.  Everyone really likes the nVidia.  BTW, nVidia makes really good video cards for computers and the Shield is initially designed for gamers and gamers really like clear and crisp video.  The processor is very powerful because gamers require powerful processors.  The Shield web page lists the specs.  For value, it is hard to beat nVidia.

Our drone interests are really benefiting from the computer, console and device gaming industry.  Everything they make has a drone use.  We should consider ourselves lucky because that brings the costs down, way down.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-12
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain

I have the Samsung Tab A 8 inch. It works well, with only the occasional hiccup. I do not run extra apps, just flying only. And I use a specific boot up procedure to insure the connection. (RC on first, tablet cold boot last with the USB cable already connected).  Occasionally I experience a situation where the right side of the tablet does not respond to touch, only in the GO app. If I rotate the tablet it moves to the other side. Only the GO app does it, I can bring up a different app and it responds normally. A reboot fixes the problem. Don't know if it is the app or Tablet but seems to be the app as the screen still works outside of the GO app.
2016-9-12
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-12 19:31
Aloha oscrfsh,

The Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 (inch) is what you want.  As DJI-Jamie says, it ...

I was looking for the k1 but could not find  it offered at the time. Now it's too late I guess.
2016-9-12
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-9-12 16:27
I was looking for the k1 but could not find  it offered at the time. Now it's too late I guess.

Aloha Robert,

Sorry to hear that.  Kirk found it for sale at the nVidia Store.  I guess I lucked out when he posted it (I immediately went and bought it).  But, I do know they are now available at other stores and online.  Mine came in today and I am setting it up for testing tomorrow.

The kinds of problems you describe sound like the software needs to be deleted and reinstalled.  If that does not fix it, you may have to send it back to Samsung for repair.  Have you checked with Samsung about an Android update?  Hey, maybe you can return it for your money back, then buy the K1.  Sorry, I am just an optimist.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-9-12
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain

Cetaman Posted at 2016-9-13 15:19
Aloha Robert,

Sorry to hear that.  Kirk found it for sale at the nVidia Store.  I guess I lu ...

Most of the time it works fine. And unlike some others, it works in bright light *pretty* well.
2016-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules