A2 with Spektrum DX8 - Hexacopter
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ken
lvl.1

United States

Hi,  I am new to dji and have a question on the hexacopter build I am doing.

I have the A2 and load latest firmware for all of the A2 components using dji assist v1.9.  I am able to successfully sync the ESCs with the Spektrum DX8 and also link it to the A2, link status is green and throttle control shows that it is active in dji assist software.   When I try to run the motors I don't get any response,  does the A2 support Spektrum DX8 with DSMX?

DJI assist recognizes DSM2, here are the screenshots from the assist software.

Not sure if i am missing a component or step in the process.

Thanks,
-Ken

Main

Main

RC View

RC View
2016-9-19
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

You switched in DSM2 mode? You do not forget to connect the "Satellite" to A2 connectors? What is the status LED on the  controller? He lit green? You have made a preliminary calibration of the ESC, using the receiver, the included transmitter? Please read more about these steps. I hope that all you will succeed!
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Have you tried doing a motor test? Can you try increasing the idle speed a little? What kind of LED sequence do you get when you try to arm the motors in the field?
2016-9-28
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

vladimir57 Posted at 2016-9-26 14:32
You switched in DSM2 mode? You do not forget to connect the "Satellite" to A2 connectors? What is th ...

Hi Vladimir,  I set the DX8 to DSM2 and 22ms and have the satellites in S1 and S2 ports on the A2, the A2 LED is green and the satellites are solid orange after binding DSM2/22ms.  

I did the preliminary calibration of the ESC using the AR8000 receiver and DX8G2 transmitter and can successfully run each motor in the calibration process.
2016-10-1
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-28 11:47
Have you tried doing a motor test? Can you try increasing the idle speed a little? What kind of LED  ...

The motor idle speed was set to Recommended and when I set it to High as you suggested I was able to get one motor to run but the motor only barely turns with the one click of the test, maybe 5 revolutions.  None of the other 5 motors respond.

The LED is one purple and 2 green.

2016-10-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

ken@kenhenry.co Posted at 2016-10-2 02:49
The motor idle speed was set to Recommended and when I set it to High as you suggested I was able  ...

Could you happen to provide a small video of the issue?
2016-10-1
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Your ESC regulators are connected to the bus (+)5V A2? Please turn off the bus (+)5V connector from the ESC.
2016-10-2
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

vladimir57 Posted at 2016-10-2 09:44
Your ESC regulators are connected to the bus (+)5V A2? Please turn off the bus (+)5V connector from  ...

I am using SimonK Opto ESCs that don't have a red center wire, is it correct that the +5V will not reach the A2 if the red wire is disconnected?

The ESC's are ZTW Spider 30A Opto 2-6s LiPo 600Hz SimonK OneShot125
  • This ZTW Spider 30A OPTO brushless  electric speed controller has been specifically designed to power  multirotor aircraft brushless electric motors with improved throttle  response.
  • Accepts 2S to 6S LiPo and contains NO BEC for smaller size, lower weight, and reduced interference.
  • Supports 30 Amps continuous current, 40 Amps burst.
  • Factory flashed to SimonK OneShot125 code, 600Hz update rate. All-NFET design with external crystal oscillator.

Do I need to supply the +5V somewhere else?  using an external BEC?
2016-10-2
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Try to change only one product from the ESC on "DJI", which has the same parameters. Calibrate it on the motors that you are going to use. If the motor is connected to the ESC will work -  there is a problem in programming your regulators. Not all regulators work equally well when first turned on. Some of their characteristics are needed to be programmed . You could accidentally, during calibration ESC, enter the programming menu control (for example, if you have not moved the power consumption of the stick in less than 3 seconds after heard the first "beep-beep" from the motor). Try only one ESC recommended  by "DJI". 
To get +5 volts, you can use any BEC 5 volts and a current of 3 amp from any manufacturer. Do not connect this wire with your receiver or camera with controllers A2 or Naza.
2016-10-3
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Dear "ken"!  You managed to cope with the problem starting the engine? Please write about that now you have got.
2016-10-8
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

vladimir57 Posted at 2016-10-8 21:24
Dear "ken"!  You managed to cope with the problem starting the engine? Please write about that now y ...

hi Vladimir,  I disconnected all of the ESCs and calibrated just one ESC successfully and then linked the Spektrum satellites to the A2 successfully.   I am still have the same issues starting the motor.  I will post a video.
2016-10-11
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

Here is a video of my setup, apologies for the quality of the video, I am new to video editing, just like drone building.   

2016-10-11
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Dear "ken", thank you very much for giving me the video!
By odinchnym and repetitive sounds "BIPP, BIPP ...", you are not properly connected connector from the ESC in the A2 unit. Turn it 180 degrees! Bus "Negative" from A2, the controller is in the top row of connectors. I wish you a successful solution to this problem!
2016-10-12
Use props
ken
lvl.1

United States

vladimir57 Posted at 2016-10-12 08:53
Dear "ken", thank you very much for giving me the video!
By odinchnym and repetitive sounds "BIPP, B ...

Thanks Vladimir!  I swapped the wires and now can get the motor to run through the app on the computer.  I will calibrate the rest of the ESCs now. Thank you.
2016-10-12
Use props
fanse01b6106
lvl.1

United States

I am getting closer to getting this setup working.    I have been working on getting failsafe setup with the C switch on the DX8 but not sure of the control setup.  See attached picture, are these numbers accurate?  In the Spektrum manual it says to use 150 and 35 but not exactly sure where those go in the control setup.  If you have this configuration please share what worked for you.  Thanks!

DX8 Control Setup

DX8 Control Setup
2016-12-23
Use props
kenzo64
lvl.1

United States

First Flight Today!  After several months of building and troubleshooting the hexacopter took off for a short test flight today.  Here is a short flight video of me and my son getting the compass calibrated and taking a 30 second flight.  For a while there I was suspecting an issue with support of  the Spektrum DX8 G2 with the A2 flight controller.    Thanks Vladimir and everyone else on the forum!

2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kenzo64 Posted at 2016-12-27 08:04
First Flight Today!  After several months of building and troubleshooting the hexacopter took off for a short test flight today.  Here is a short flight video of me and my son getting the compass calibrated and taking a 30 second flight.  For a while there I was suspecting an issue with support of  the Spektrum DX8 G2 with the A2 flight controller.    Thanks Vladimir and everyone else on the forum!

First Flight

Looking good!
2016-12-27
Use props
GVDubrovskiy
New

United States

kenzo64 Posted at 2016-12-26 16:04

First Flight

Hi! I have problems with adjusting settings of my Spektrum DX8 (Generation 1) for using with A2 control system (the frame is S900).
Could you please post screens of your settings? (which channel is mapped where?)

The A2 recognizes as different channels movements of throttle stick more than 0 and less than 0 (I mean, if the throttle stick more than 0 - it is recognized as Channel 1, if the throttle stick less than 0, then it is recognized as Channel 2). Settings of DX8 look resonable: in Servo Setup throttle is represented as one Channel (below and above 0 level). The same problem with other sticks (for roll, pitch, ..)

Thank you for your time!
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules