Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
123456789Next >
118902 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trise.ne
lvl.1
Germany

I've tested my Osmo Mobile with an iPhone 6 and an iPhone 7.

The footage of my iPhone 6 was good, but obviously the cameras in newer generations are better.
The gimbal did a good job! Even action-shots where i was running and jumping were good.

My biggest problem:

Using the osmo mobile with the iphone 7 (that has OIS) is a pain. Although performing a "ninja-walk" and really practicing hard to get smooth movements - the results weren't acceptable. There always was a little bobbing - not much but still noticeable. Also i wasn't able to reduce the bobbing effect still left in post.
Using the front camera did bring better results. The shots were stable and running / jumping was possible without bobbing. But i don't want to use the frontcamera for the most time.

The Osmo Mobile combined with the DJI Go brings many good features but at the same time many problems:
- the app crashes a lot
- osmo always needs a few tries to get connected via bluetooth
- sometimes the osmo suddenly stops stabilising without any error message - a double tap on the trigger brings it back to life though
- the above mentioned problems makes many functions useless
     - motions timelapse suddenly becomes motionless and the gimbal/"camera" just floats arounds
     - during normal recording the "camera"/gimbal suddenly floats around without holding it's supposed position
     - active track stops working - the camera needs to be centered an then new positioned

I understand that technical restrictions may limit the way a gimbal can stabilize the image but in combination with a phone that tries to do the same thing for me the osmo mobile is not usable. This device is used not only by me, but by my friends and in all day life. But with those bobbing effects and the mentioned problems I think i'll maybe need to wait until the problems are solved or the technic is improved. I will return my Osmo Mobile.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can get stable video with the OIS, here's a clip from a 6s Plus.
As far as the other things you mention, I have not experienced that. Do those only happen with the 7 ?

2016-9-21
Use props
maurymcc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37949 ft
United States

Just got my iPhone 7 Plus as well as my OSMO Mobile, and 3840x2160 is horribly choppy. 1920 and lower works just fine. Here are two quick videos showing this:

3840 Video:

1920 Video:
2016-9-22
Use props
lukas3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 577543 ft
Czechia

On Galaxy S7 the 4K resolution is even MISSING! What a pain in the ass...
2016-9-23
Use props
Allen Lew
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3723291 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Seems ok
2016-9-29
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

I've been experiencing exactly the same issues with the OSMO Mobile with iPhone 7+ and 6s+. Front facing camera is fine, but despite using the ninja walk I can't get usable shots with the rear cameras. I shot this comparison that shows the issue. Watch full screen as the wobble is much more obvious there:

It compares the 7+, 6s+, iPhone 6 and Google Nexus 6p using front/rear cameras and a variety of apps.

Do you think I have a faulty device?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-9-29 16:17
I've been experiencing exactly the same issues with the OSMO Mobile with iPhone 7+ and 6s+. Front fa ...

Thank you for your video, it's very helpful.

Just to make sure, on 0:59, is the rear camera's resolution 1080p or 4K?

2016-9-29
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-30 16:31
Thank you for your video, it's very helpful.

Just to make sure, on 0:59, is the rear camera's res ...

1080p with both videos recorded using the DJI Go app.
2016-9-30
Use props
wanderingbrowni
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45830 ft

After some testing, I'm actually having a similar issue with my iPhone 7. Video below is shot after calibrating the unit, centering it and leaving the OSMO absolutely untouched on the OSMO Base for a minute. The movements are a pain when shooting timelapses.

2016-9-30
Use props
mauro.gentile
New

Portugal

I'm waiting for DJI to fix this before getting a Osmo Mobile.
2016-10-3
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

I'm waiting for dji to actually at least REPLY to the many issues reported here and on other threads in this forum..
2016-10-3
Use props
JRosy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28622 ft
United States

Firstly, let me say that the Osmo Mobile is a very cool and well built product.  I really wish I could keep it, but like others who have a phone with OIS, my videos are coming out very jittery.  I really think the OIS is the issue and until my phone OS offers a way to turn off OIS, the Osmo mobile just isn't going to work for me.
I decided to do a test with an iPhone 5 I have lying around against the iPhone 7 plus.  Below are the results.  Pay close attention to the oak tree and the edge of the building on the left.  The funny thing is, even YouTube detected the shake in the iPhone 7 Plus video and offered to try to fix it.  I declined.  Both videos are directly from the device and unmodified.

iPhone 5 test video

iPhone 7 Plus test video

2016-10-3
Use props
NowhereMan
New

United States

mauro.gentile Posted at 2016-10-3 05:30
I'm waiting for DJI to fix this before getting a Osmo Mobile.

Apple should send out an update that allows us to turn off OIS (enable/disable) it, but DJI could also add the option in their software with this code information I found online...their developers should be able to add this into their code and give us an option to enable/disable it.
https://developer.apple.com/libr ... ameras/Cameras.html

Cinematic Video Stabilization
All iPhone back-facing cameras supported by iOS 9 and later allow video stabilization. Some devices additionally support a more aggressive, dramatic, and fluid algorithm called cinematic video stabilization. This stabilization method reduces the camera’s field of view, introduces more latency in the video capture pipeline, and consumes more system memory compared to standard video stabilization; as such, you may wish to disable it in scenarios where you need more control over those aspects of the video capture process.
To enable or disable cinematic stabilization, use the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property. In iOS 9 and later on supported devices, cinematic stabilization is the default when this property is set toAVCaptureVideoStabilizationModeAuto. In iOS 8, you must explicitly enable cinematic stabilization by setting this property to AVCaptureVideoStabilizationModeCinematic. After setting this property, use theactiveVideoStabilizationMode property to determine whether cinematic stabilization was enabled—for formats that do not support cinematic stabilization, setting the preferred mode does not change the active mode.

2016-10-4
Use props
omriamos
lvl.1

Israel

^ this will not disable the OIS, it will disable the software-based extra-stabilization.
2016-10-4
Use props
NowhereMan
New

United States

omriamos Posted at 2016-10-4 11:41
^ this will not disable the OIS, it will disable the software-based extra-stabilization.

Ok, noted. Thank you. I was just going by what it specifically said, "disable cinematic stabilization". Guess I don't know all the developer terms.
2016-10-4
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.1
Australia

JRosy Posted at 2016-10-4 04:59
Firstly, let me say that the Osmo Mobile is a very cool and well built product.  I really wish I cou ...

Thanks for the test. I experience the same thing, except I do still get some jitter with the iPhone SE which doesn't have OIS. It is much less pronounced than with the 7+, but still noticeable. Just wondering if it is a limitation of the device itself, or whether there are faulty units out there.
2016-10-8
Use props
nathanielljones
New

United Kingdom

Are there any plans in place to try fix this?

My concern is a hardware stablisation may have no on/off switch at Apple's end.
IS on my canon lens' have on and off switches, but it might be hopeful to assume Apple have done the same with their history of being obtuse. Hardware ubiquity isn't exactly their fortay..

Appreciate any insight you can offer. I have a DJI Osmo mobile on order for a holiday in Australia and I need to know if to cancel it or not if a fix prior to thne is unlikely

Apologies for any gramatical error's, rushed post.
2016-10-17
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

NowhereMan Posted at 2016-10-4 22:23
Apple should send out an update that allows us to turn off OIS (enable/disable) it, but DJI could a ...

We did turn them off in the coding already..
2016-10-18
Use props
y6Qrpy1UULjo
New

United States

Iphone 6 plus, having 2 major problems. The video footage is choppy, like it doesnt save the videos as smooth footage. The other problem is in with walking. I have practiced my "ninja-walk" technique. Only way to get stable footage is using my girlfriends iphone 6 (small one) and use the normal camera app (not the DJI GO app).

PLEASE tell me you guys are working on this... The 7 day return policy really burned me.

- Keegan
2016-10-19
Use props
y6Qrpy1UULjo
New

United States

This is my osmo mobile completely missing a toast for my buddies wedding.. this app caused me to miss a very special moment in life...

2016-10-19
Use props
JoshuaA
New

Canada

That's a shame Keegan, sorry.

I'm contemplating getting a gimbal to go with my 7Plus and been reading these boards.

Is the consensus at this point to avoid dji GO because of the stuttering video? (I'm assuming 4K only)
Does the Oct 18 app update resolve this?

I have faith in dji but if the app isn't usable, then the gimbal is not really better than cheaper offerings that use the default camera app.

2016-10-20
Use props
JoshuaA
New

Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-18 04:01

Does that mean we don't need to resort to FiLMiC Pro to turn off OIS?

Has your company done internal testing with iP7 Plus and 4K re: frame dropping/stuttering?

Thx
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-21 02:21
Does that mean we don't need to resort to FiLMiC Pro to turn off OIS?

Has your company done intern ...

Filmic Pro and DJI Go both have OIS turned off, it doesn't make a difference which app you use in terms of stability
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

y6Qrpy1UULjo Posted at 2016-10-19 20:28
This is my osmo mobile completely missing a toast for my buddies wedding.. this app caused me to mis ...

Did you shoot in 4K or 1080P originally? Do you mind uploading the original video to Dropbox or Google Drive for us to analyze?  Thank you
2016-10-20
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.1
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-18 16:01

No apps can currently turn off OIS at the hardware level on apple devicesw (it is built into the lens - it isn't a software thing). That is why there is no difference between DJI Go, FiLMiC Pro etc. If you shoot with front facing camera the wobble disappears as it does not have OIS built into the lens.

I think you need to be clear that your app does not turn off Apple's hardware OIS which creates the wobble users experience.
2016-10-20
Use props
JoshuaA
New

Canada

Reminds me of turning off the IS switch on my Canon lenses when on a tripod, it's trying to correct something that isn't there.

Has there ever been an app that turns off OIS at the hardware level? Then what is FiLMiC Pro doing when you disable it?

2016-10-21
Use props
zoti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

After updating the video with the iPhone 7 plus is even worse. It shakes with every step.

2016-10-21
Use props
JoshuaA
New

^ how does it compare to using the native iOS camera app?
2016-10-23
Use props
zoti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-23 15:47
^ how does it compare to using the native iOS camera app?

Native app is better. Pro cam so far gave me the best resaults. I'm going to guess this has something to do with the fact that the DJI GO app also does other things in the background as well as taking video.
2016-10-23
Use props
tim_nl
New

Netherlands

I bought a brandnew iphone 7 and the osmo mobile yesterday as a light traveling kit for taking it on a big trip to the US. I leave next week. Today, after a full afternoon of testshooting I found out all of my footage is unusable. Of course you're going to run into trouble when you have double IS, it's the same with DSLR IS lenses on tripods, it doesn't work when panning. I am extremely pissed off right now. You should be posting a big warning post right now on your website that this thing should NOT be used with an iPhone7.
2016-10-23
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9987 ft
United Kingdom

Mine was returned last week as faulty, and I hadn't had a chance to take it out and properly test it before it developed the fault. However, having rad all the troubles, I'm asking for a refund rather than exchange.

Such a shame as this product held so much promise but was designed for the last generation of smart phones. For such a forward looking company, this seems really bizarre.
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-21 12:02
Reminds me of turning off the IS switch on my Canon lenses when on a tripod, it's trying to correct  ...

No, the OIS's effect in iPhone 6s, 7, 7p is not possible to be completely eliminated.  To put it simply, there's a tiny spring inside the rotor of these three phones to support the OIS function. That tiny spring is the culprit that you see with some iPhones's shakiness, if the user is not ninja-walking
2016-10-24
Use props
tim_nl
New

Netherlands

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-24 10:55
No, the OIS's effect in iPhone 6s, 7, 7p is not possible to be completely eliminated.  To put it s ...

So in other words you're telling us this can't be fixed?
2016-10-24
Use props
tim_nl
New

Netherlands

No, the OIS's effect in iPhone 6s, 7, 7p is not possible to be completely eliminated.  To put it s ...

I really need to know if this is something that's fixable now that I can still return the unit.
2016-10-24
Use props
ferra90
lvl.1

Italy

Hi guys! I'm new here and I'm reading about the issue of OIS and iPhone 7... my videos are unusable too!
I've just talked with Apple Italy about that and they told me that there is the possibility to disable OIS via code. They linked me that so I really hope this will be fixed soon
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/DeviceInformation/Reference/iOSDeviceCompatibility/Cameras/Cameras.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013599-CH107-SW4
2016-10-25
Use props
tim_nl
New

Netherlands

Please elaborate.
2016-10-25
Use props
JoshuaA
New

There seems to be 2 issues here:
1. Cannot truly turn off OIS in iPhones that have it.

2. djiGO app does not function like the native app and drops frames/stutters (in 4K only?)

Is there at least a fix for 2 in the works? eta?
2016-10-25
Use props
TheodoreRex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 686975 ft
United States

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-25 15:01

How are you getting your footage OUT of the DJI GO App (when using the Osmo Mobile)?  Did you use the Method described in http://forum.dji.com/thread-67413-1-1.html LINK
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

tim_nl Posted at 2016-10-25 09:06
I really need to know if this is something that's fixable now that I can still return the unit.

Hardware side, no.  We encourage customers to ninja-walk to to reduce  the effect.
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-26 06:01

The 4K stuttering issue is fixed with current firmware and app.

The OIS is turned off, software-wise. But hardware wise it can't be completely turned off because of iPhone's design, there's a mechanical setting, a little spring, can't be turned off.
2016-10-25
Use props
123456789Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules