Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
119806 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ferra90 Posted at 2016-10-25 17:57
Hi guys! I'm new here and I'm reading about the issue of OIS and iPhone 7... my videos are unusable  ...

Yes, we know this, and it's turned off in DJI Go already by default.  
2016-10-25
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 04:59
Hardware side, no.  We encourage customers to ninja-walk to to reduce  the effect.

This is quite frustrating to read, especially as those of us who purchased at the time the iPhone 7 was being released cannot return for a refund, even though the Osmo Mobile does not perform as advertised.

The Osmo mobile page mentions nothing of issues likely to occur with phones featuring OIS, but does say that your smart phone videos will be 'effortlessly smooth' without any caveat.

Mines currently in for repair and I'd love to get a refund on it since it's not as advertised. My bank may be able to assist with that as DJI won't.
2016-10-26
Use props
tim_nl
New

Netherlands

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 05:59
Hardware side, no.  We encourage customers to ninja-walk to to reduce  the effect.

That's your advice? Wow.

Bye.
2016-10-26
Use props
diogodasilva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11132 ft
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 00:59

This is a joke.

If that was a hardware issue why does the Zhiyun Smooth-II works much better with 6+ on this test footage?
2016-10-26
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a very fair question which I would suggest does require an answer, particularly where we are being told the footage is worse because users are not walking correctly.
If the Osmo mobile isn't suitable for the iPhone 7 and other OIS phones, that should firstly be made clear to potential buyers, and those of us who are already in possession of a unit which does not work as advertised should be able to get a refund....unless the problem can be fixed.....
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

diogodasilva Posted at 2016-10-27 03:39
This is a joke.

If that was a hardware issue why does  ...

The stuttering is relative, and can be compensated by good walking. Check the video shot by 6s+  with Osmo Mobile in 2L.  You can't reach that conclusion without a side-by-side comparison with the same phone.

2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-10-27 05:45
That's a very fair question which I would suggest does require an answer, particularly where we are  ...

It depends on what you define as "suitable"

Osmo Mobile does what it claims to do, stabilize your phone's camera reasonably well. And DJI didn't claim all phones work equally well.
2016-10-26
Use props
zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

diogodasilva Posted at 2016-10-26 15:39
This is a joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGgNsREbqk
If that was a hardware issue why does  ...

It looks better because it is not using the Go App. Probably using the native camera app.

But... It is also stuttering and looks pretty bad.
2016-10-26
Use props
ferra90
lvl.1

Italy

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 08:17

Osmo Mobile does what it claims to do, stabilize your ...

You are just kidding. The device is not usable with OIS phones. Stop try to arrange excuses based on language tricks!!!
2016-10-26
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 07:17

Sorry Thor but that is an wholly unacceptable reply to a customer. The marketing for this device was and continues to be entirely misleading. Yes, the Osmo stabilises SOME phones
It has to be:
The right size and weight
The right colour
The user has to walk the right way
etc etc

However, what is the purpose behind stabilising the phone? To capture smooth video right? Well, it doesn't work. The DJI Go App doesn't work in 4k as advertised either.

To try and make excuses for this product by twisting words and highlighting marketing omissions is not acceptable. I and many other users were misled by the marketing of this device and would simply like to return the unit as not fit for purpose and get a refund.

I am saddened by the attitude of DJI on these units. I appreciate DJI may not have been privy to the new designs of the latest phones but OIS has been around on the iPhone plus phones for a while now so there is no excuse DJI to mislead customers into buying something that won't work with their phone. Customers should be warned and those of us who were misled should be able to obtain a refund.

Fortunately my credit card company will allow me to obtain a refund under the not fit for purpose clause, but I shouldn't have to go through all this nonsense when spending £300 on a product. I feel let down and that all DJI is interested in is getting money out of people and not looking after their customers.

2016-10-27
Use props
mon.bnj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233117 ft

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-10-26 06:01
There seems to be 2 issues here:
1. Cannot truly turn off OIS in iPhones that have it.

I'm also interested in the answers to these questions. Thanks.
2016-11-1
Use props
g0bl0k
New

Australia

zoti Posted at 2016-10-27 14:40
It looks better because it is not using the Go App. Probably using the native camera app.

But...  ...

Hi, where do you see the stuttering? Could you please elaborate as to which part of the video that shows stuttering? I WAS also interested with the Osmo Mobile, but after further researching I found so many complaints and concerns with DJI customer service, I decided not to get it now. Guess we have to find another alternative.
Btw the video using Zhiyun Smooth II looks pretty good to me, might look into that further.
2016-11-2
Use props
fans23de4289
lvl.1

Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 14:17

Thor, really. Warn people of this issue before they buy it. Don't keep on saying: ninja walk, ninja walk, ninja walk. So many people here are upset with this product. Is not a matter of ninja walk anymore. DJI didn't treat the costumers the right way. Into the description it says: iPhone 6S. But you just need to plug to see your videos like jelly. With iPhone 6, perfect. 6S and 7, no... Don't push it...
2016-11-3
Use props
zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

g0bl0k Posted at 2016-11-3 01:49
Hi, where do you see the stuttering? Could you please elaborate as to which part of the video that  ...

If you are asking about the ZhiYun video above then look at 1:00min. Look at the building on the right most side of the image. It stutters.
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

g0bl0k Posted at 2016-11-3 13:49
Hi, where do you see the stuttering? Could you please elaborate as to which part of the video that  ...

The issue mentioned in this post will show up in any gimbals, including DJI's competitors you mentioned. Ask them.
2016-11-3
Use props
g0bl0k
New

Australia

Hmm...yup i saw the stuttering even though it's minimal. I'm planning to use it with Note 4 and Iphone 6, do you all think it should be ok? Note 4 also has OIS built-in and can't be turned off.
2016-11-3
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-4 06:13
The issue mentioned in this post will show up in any gimbals, including DJI's competitors you menti ...

So does that mean its then ok to say that the Osmo mobile will stabilise all models of phones, take peoples money and then deal with their complaints after?
I'm really unhappy with my Osmo mobile and DJI doesn't really care. As a result they've lost my future business and a Mavic Pro pre-order. I was also considering the Osmo + RAW for my professional filmmaking but will certainly not be going down the DJI route again.

Dishonest business practices and essentially blaming customers for not walking right, not having the right colour phone, not buying the right phone is not really how good business operates.
2016-11-4
Use props
fans873b8a95
lvl.1

Italy

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-11-4 12:32
So does that mean its then ok to say that the Osmo mobile will stabilise all models of phones, tak ...

Me too! I have a Phantom 3 Pro and I was waiting for the Mavic but after purchased the Osmo mobile and finding it unusable with iPhone 7 and after all these tricks from DJI I'm reading in this forum I'll keep my money safe. I was also interested in Osmo RAW for my work but as told before I'll not buy it.
2016-11-4
Use props
userfb3b28da3e
New

Hi,
Same issue for me with an iPhone 7 Plus.
Bought on Amazon and shipped back for a refund.
Still watching this thread to know if a workaround or a fix will be available (don't talk about Ninja Walk....).

2016-11-5
Use props
fans8af42967
lvl.1

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 14:10
The stuttering is relative, and can be compensated by good walking. Check the video shot by 6s+  wi ...

Are you referring "good walking" as ninja walking? I can imagine walking with Osmo Mobile and walking like a ninja in the middle of the crowd.
2016-11-6
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-4 01:13
The issue mentioned in this post will show up in any gimbals, including DJI's competitors you menti ...

Yes, but we all trusted DJI. I own a regular OSMO and a Mavic, they're quality products. The OSMO Mobile doesn't work, period. I can't use any footage. I'd like to return it or exchange it.
2016-11-11
Use props
JoshuaA
lvl.1

Canada

I'd really like to see a Z1 S2 vs Osmo Mobile, both using the native camera on an OIS iPhone, if that's why that vid up there looks better.

I'm trying to still have faith in dji. Are vids really that unusable?
2016-11-17
Use props
SobesMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649196 ft
United States

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and of course this is disappointing to hear as I was really interested in the Osmo Mobile. However, I think it's unfair to criticize DJI on this one. Clearly there is no API that allows third parties to disable the hardware stabilization in the iPhone 6S Plus/7/7 Plus cameras. For that matter there may not even be a software method to disable it. It may be entirely hardware. So getting made at DJI is most likely a case of shooting the messenger. I'm sure they'd like to correct it since they could clearly sell more units but it seems to be a non-starter.
2016-11-17
Use props
SobesMS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 649196 ft
United States

ferra90 Posted at 2016-10-25 04:57
Hi guys! I'm new here and I'm reading about the issue of OIS and iPhone 7... my videos are unusable  ...

This is very interesting. Based on how this reads on the Apple developers site the software can be coded to disable the hardware mechanism.
2016-11-17
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

JoshuaA Posted at 2016-11-18 00:10
I'd really like to see a Z1 S2 vs Osmo Mobile, both using the native camera on an OIS iPhone, if tha ...

Check this out, no wind, I'm barely moving with the OSMO, you can see the issues:
2016-11-18
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same here... after a couple of days of trying to figure out how to get my video to quit being choppy (as well as gimbal errors on screen, and a DJI bug when using Filmic Pro), I gave up on the OSMO mobile with the iPhone 7.  Sent it back.  My phone is happier... it ran hot enough to cook an egg and the fully charged phone battery would only last an hour or so when driving the OM).
2016-11-18
Use props
fchieli
lvl.1
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-11-18 15:37
Same here... after a couple of days of trying to figure out how to get my video to quit being choppy ...

Lucky you, I was an early adopter and faithfully waited for DJI to fix all these issues. They never did and now it's too late to return the OSMO mobile...
2016-11-18
Use props
fansb8eef363
New

Indonesia

was going to order this osmo mobile until someone in youtube posted a link to this thread. Any chance DJI will fix this issue ?
2016-11-21
Use props
fansb8eef363
New

Indonesia

fans8af42967 Posted at 2016-11-7 11:02
Are you referring "good walking" as ninja walking? I can imagine walking with Osmo Mobile and walk ...

LOL
2016-11-21
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I shoot 4k with my iPhone 7 (no gimbal) and walk around, there are no jittery artifacts.  Yes, the footage is not as smooth because I'm not using the gimbal, but there is nothing jittery about the footage.  When I used the same camera on the Osmo Mobile and shot the exact same location and walk (inside my house), the footage became jittery, especially on vertical lines.  I repeated this process a few times and the results were the same each time... no Osmo = smooth 4k, yes Osmo = jittery 4k. Returned my Osmo Mobile... not good enough.
2016-11-21
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

fchieli Posted at 2016-11-18 15:59
Check this out, no wind, I'm barely moving with the OSMO, you can see the issues:
https://youtu.be ...

I have this same issue with my OSMO Mobile and iPhone 7 Plus. This is a joke DJI... This product is unusable with the iPhone 7 Plus...
2016-11-21
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-4 02:13

This reply is very irresponsible DJI-Thor, if DJI knew they had a problem with the iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone 7 Plus a warning should have been mentioned so that people with such phones could decide to buy at their own risk, but not be lied to by DJI and then realize that the OSMO Mobile with the iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone 7 Plus footage is crap... very disappointed...
2016-11-21
Use props
fans8af42967
lvl.1

Australia

I agree the footage is not perfect but it's still much way better than not using osmo mobile. You can see the review here in a windy place using iphone 7 plus:

2016-11-21
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600728 ft
Brazil

I don't want to sound rude, but ninja-walking is not one of my best talents, that's why I bought OSMO in the first place.
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fansb8eef363 Posted at 2016-11-21 21:29
was going to order this osmo mobile until someone in youtube posted a link to this thread. Any chanc ...

No, it's about the hardware of iPhone, and can't be fixed.
2016-11-22
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-23 05:29
No, it's about the hardware of iPhone, and can't be fixed.

Based on your response and what is advertised by DJI, what will be the company next steps?

Because obviously DJI must take responsibility on the issue of misleading their clients, at least without a disclaimer on the official site that OSMO Mobile does not work with iPhone 7.

If there was such a disclaimer I wouldn't bought mine.

By the way, how old are you Thor? Twelve? Your answers are absolutely unacceptable as the official response from DJI. "Ninja-walking", "this issue show up in any gimbals", "the stuttering is relative", come on, those are not serious answers.

At least respect your costumers or change your name to DJI-Troll.
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Neto Posted at 2016-11-23 17:10
Based on your response and what is advertised by DJI, what will be the company next steps?

Becaus ...

What you saw was the decision made by the people who's in charge of these products. I'm just relaying the information.
2016-11-23
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-23 07:32
What you saw was the decision made by the people who's in charge of these products. I'm just relay ...

That's exactly the point.

If this is an official forum from DJI and if you work for DJI, I assume that I'm talking with the company, not with an individual.

So, I'll ask again: what will be DJI's next steps to compensate the consumers mislead by their advertising?

Please don't take it personal. Just go there and tell "the people who's in charge of these products" that we, "the people who's in charge of buying these products" are not happy with this deal.
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Neto Posted at 2016-11-23 17:42
That's exactly the point.

If this is an official forum from DJI and if you work for DJI, I assum ...

They're fully aware of your complaints already.
2016-11-23
Use props
Neto
lvl.1
Brazil

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-23 07:55
They're fully aware of your complaints already.

Great!

Now, should I expect a possible fix for iPhone 7 compatibility (if so, what is the timeframe), or DJI will refund my purchase, since I'm in Brazil, unable to simply return the product to the store?

2016-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules