OSMO Mobile & iPhone 7 is unusable
119889 337 2016-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vegas_Sirk
lvl.1

United States

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my Osmo Mobile / iPhone 7P set up as well. Have the latest firmware installed and Go App.

I have gotten some of the chop as others have had, and I'm really having big issues with active track. Active track works great on front facing camera, but on the rears its always losing the subject, and will not pan when moving by it till the very end then snap around. When it snaps around its loses the subject and go all wonky.

Anyone else having these issues?
2017-3-2
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

Vegas_Sirk Posted at 2017-3-2 15:15
Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my Osmo Mobile / iPhone 7P set up as well. Have the latest firmware installed and Go App.

i'm also using an iPhone7, but the plus model,
i do not have this issue, however have you tried calibrating your gimbal?
try that first..hope it helps.
2017-3-3
Use props
Mrmaasik
New

Estonia

Hi!

I have been using Iphone 7 with Osmo Mobile for 4 months now and everything has worked fine since 2 weeks ago I started to see that my Osmo Mobile videos come out with audio settings turned into Mono.
Which means I can't edit them in my Adobe premiere program anymore. Has anyone else had this issue and know how to fix it?
2017-3-4
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mrmaasik Posted at 2017-3-4 03:59
Hi!

I have been using Iphone 7 with Osmo Mobile for 4 months now and everything has worked fine since 2 weeks ago I started to see that my Osmo Mobile videos come out with audio settings turned into Mono.

Strange..  Can you try another phone? Especially iPhone. If the other phone works fine but yours doesn't, it might be your phone's issue.  Otherwise the Osmo's issue that need to be sent in.
2017-3-4
Use props
jdipetto
New

United States

The problem with iPhone 6+ and 7+ is the JELLO effect when the phone is subjected to the SLIGHTEST vibration. Every time the OSMO's (or any gimbal's) motors move (or just a tap), they VIBRATE, causing the iPhone video image to shake like JELLO. (Walking causes the motors to move). APPLE's PROBLEM! They persist for a very long time in pretending not to know about it on all iPhones with OIS.
2017-3-5
Use props
jdipetto
New

United States

The problem with iPhone 6+ and 7+ is the JELLO effect when the phone is subjected to the SLIGHTEST vibration. Every time the OSMO's (or any gimbal's) motors move (or just a tap), they VIBRATE, causing the iPhone video image to shake like JELLO. (Walking causes the motors to move). APPLE's PROBLEM! They persist for a very long time in pretending not to know about it on all iPhones with OIS.
2017-3-5
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Interesting how this topic develops. I will certainly hold off buying an OSMO Mobile before these issues are solved, regardless of whose fault it is.
2017-3-6
Use props
PG73
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have an iPhone 6 (so no OIS) and have captured 1080p 60fps footage with both the DJI Go app and Filmic Pro. The footage is fine with the Filmic Pro, but with the DJI Go app it's very choppy, it looks like frames are being dropped. I recorded quite a bit of footage using the DJI Go app as I liked how it handles auto exposure, but the choppiness makes the videos unwatchable.
2017-3-7
Use props
Air_Owen 10
lvl.2
United States

maybe we should wait for the update
2017-3-7
Use props
walexx4
New

Australia

zoti Posted at 2016-10-21 22:21
After updating the video with the iPhone 7 plus is even worse. It shakes with every step.

https://youtu.be/FP7pssEpz1o

I have that same problem, its annoying. Lucky I have my old 6SPlus although I shouldn't need to do that when I have a 7Plus.
2017-3-7
Use props
walexx4
New

Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-25 20:01
The 4K stuttering issue is fixed with current firmware and app.

The OIS is turned off, software-wise. But hardware wise it can't be completely turned off because of iPhone's design, there's a mechanical setting, a little spring, can't be turned off.

This is great news
2017-3-7
Use props
wanderingbrowni
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45830 ft
Belgium

Ended up selling the unreliable thing. Even their own timelapse of LA (see Instagram @djiglobal) is shaky.
2017-3-8
Use props
fans94f58e03
lvl.1

United States

I was able to shoot this quality video with my brand new Zenmuse M1 and an iPhone 7 Plus.  (sarcastic)  
2017-3-9
Use props
arnoldtang
lvl.1
Hong Kong

cybaster Posted at 2016-11-29 10:47
just adding 1 more update here:

/*!

i have submitted a bug radar to apple about the issue and hope they can add a option to disabling OIS for video in next version of iOS
2017-3-9
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

fans94f58e03 Posted at 2017-3-9 07:04
I was able to shoot this quality video with my brand new Zenmuse M1 and an iPhone 7 Plus.  (sarcastic)  https://youtu.be/u7WkQuXgyFA

oh my..you're actually better just holding it with your hands...this is nuts!
i just ordered the vehicle mount as well
2017-3-9
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

fans94f58e03 Posted at 2017-3-9 07:04
I was able to shoot this quality video with my brand new Zenmuse M1 and an iPhone 7 Plus.  (sarcastic)  

I have also experienced this.

This may help you guys:

I have found a way to lock the OIS which works rather well for me.  I don't have an OSMO so I don't know if this applies, or if it's possible to attach a magnet when mounted, but I do have an iPhone 7 and your problems sound very similar.

There is some additional info in the "more Info" tab of the clip on youtube.

2017-3-10
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Sonertial Posted at 2017-3-10 01:35
I have also experienced this.

This may help you guys:

Trying to understand the implications of the magnet solution...

From the links in the previous post's YT, it seems the OIS is mechanical. It uses magnetic coils. So there is no "motor" or powered system that would be "fighting" with the additional magnet. It's not like you are wearing out a motor or draining the battery.

I realize the video creator does not want to be responsible for any damage caused, but is fire a legitimate concern? Can you really destroy your iPhone by affixing a small magnet near the lens?

What are the real world downsides in using a magnet to disable the OIS?
2017-3-10
Use props
young-nyc 3
lvl.4
United States

another option is to use the 2x zoom on the iphone7 plus.
2017-3-10
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

jrm11 Posted at 2017-3-10 18:54

From the links in the previous post's YT, it seems the OIS is mechanical. It uses magnetic coils. So there is no "motor" or powered system that would be "fighting" with the additional magnet. It's not like you are wearing out a motor or draining the battery.

There most likely are no significant consequences, I just put the warnings there to be cautious.
That said, I notice that with some magnets, there is an audible mechanical sound being picked up in the microphone, that's not there when the magnet isn't. When I posted that video, it was early days, I got the impression that the magnet was warming up. Subsequent tests, hours of filming in direct sunlight, strong magnets, etc have satisfied me that the worst that can happen, as I have observed it, is that the system sometimes loses focus if the magnet is positioned wrongly. If any electromagnet is working, it's not massively increasing power consumption.

To be blatantly honest, this issue is something that I feel quite strongly needs to be addressed by Apple, not the community. The warning's are more a cry for attention than a serious concern. A bit of scaremongering if you like.
2017-3-11
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

There most likely are no significant consequences, I just put the warnings there to be cautious.
That said, I notice that with some magnets, there is an audible mechanical sound being picked up in the microphone, that's not there when the magnet isn't. When I posted that video, it was early days, I got the impression that the magnet was warming up. Subsequent tests, hours of filming in direct sunlight, strong magnets, etc have satisfied me that the worst that can happen, as I have observed it, is that the system sometimes loses focus if the magnet is positioned wrongly. If any electromagnet is working, it's not massively increasing power consumption.

To be blatantly honest, this issue is something that I feel quite strongly needs to be addressed by Apple, not the community. The warning's are more a cry for attention than a serious concern. A bit of scaremongering if you like.
2017-3-11
Use props
Sonertial
lvl.1

Sweden

2017-3-11
Use props
AmaruP4P
lvl.1
Canada

Does anybody know If this has been resolved for the iPhone 7?
2017-3-12
Use props
AmaruP4P
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 10:21
You can get stable video with the OIS, here's a clip from a 6s Plus.
As far as the other things you mention, I have not experienced that. Do those only happen with the 7 ?

That's because there's no OIS in the iPhone 6
2017-3-12
Use props
AmaruP4P
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 10:21
You can get stable video with the OIS, here's a clip from a 6s Plus.
As far as the other things you mention, I have not experienced that. Do those only happen with the 7 ?

That's because there's no OIS in the iPhone 6
2017-3-12
Use props
UdoG
lvl.2

Germany

Fits the iPhone 7 plus with a case (e.g. silicon / leather) in the Osmo mobile? Any recommendations?
2017-3-14
Use props
asr10user
New
United States

Ive had my Osmo for 2 weeks now.  I am on the fence.  The iPhone 7 plus jitter problem is real and makes the iPhone 7 plus unusable when walking.  My real problem though is just the workflow and storage space of iphone files in 4k.  I didnt consider the pain it would be to transfer files from dji/filmic pro to camera roll, then airdrop/upload to usb.  Its a real pain.  I wonder if something like an iXpand disk would help me.  Any suggestions on workflow?

But it may be worth to keep the Osmo to use with my gopro or maybe somehow get it to work with something like an RX100.  I guess i'll play with it some more.
2017-3-17
Use props
BlackPearl07
New
United States

I am about at my wits end with this device.   I have an old 6 Plus and even with that phone my videos stutter and are not smooth at all.  This is even using the Filmic Pro app.  I have the correct shutter based on my frame rate, etc and every video stutters.  I don't know what to do but to return it as tomorrow is my last day to do so.  Anyone have any idea as to why there is stuttering with a 6 Plus as well?  No OiS with that phone.  I have really tried to make this work but at this point probably going to try another route.  Such a waste....
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

AmaruP4P Posted at 2017-3-12 18:17
Does anybody know If this has been resolved for the iPhone 7?

No, it has not, and will not.
2017-3-17
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-17 20:25
No, it has not, and will not.

What camera phones do work now with the OSMO mobile? The iPhone 7 is definitely off the list.

2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Free Bird Posted at 2017-3-17 23:35
What camera phones do work now with the OSMO mobile? The iPhone 7 is definitely off the list.

Phones that do not have OIS.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mikolaj
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108471 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-3-17 23:50
Phones that do not have OIS.

Ok, so assuming, that all premium phones have OIS or will have it in the near future, can you share your plans, reg. the handheld stabilizers? Do you have on your roadmap any product, that would work well with such devices? Or maybe, it's not technically possible, and you will simply cut this product line off?
2017-3-23
Use props
mausse
New
Netherlands

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-25 20:01
The 4K stuttering issue is fixed with current firmware and app.

The OIS is turned off, software-wise. But hardware wise it can't be completely turned off because of iPhone's design, there's a mechanical setting, a little spring, can't be turned off.

Ok check. too late for my purchase. But what is the best setting for getting the best result from an Iphone7.

4k/30fps with Filmic app?

thanks!
2017-3-24
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

mausse Posted at 2017-3-24 04:58
Ok check. too late for my purchase. But what is the best setting for getting the best result from an Iphone7.

The 4K stuttering issue is not the same with the OIS issue others are talking about though. The OIS conflict issue is still there.
2017-3-25
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

mausse Posted at 2017-3-24 04:58

The 4K stuttering issue is not the same with the OIS issue others are talking about though. The OIS conflict issue is still there.
2017-3-25
Use props
Olidammara
lvl.1
Canada

Ladies & Gents... I *may* have found a work around.

Let me know what you think Thor.

Thanks!

2017-3-29
Use props
mausse
New
Netherlands

Olidammara Posted at 2017-3-29 04:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9JwDa-h7g

How does a extra lens kills the OIS is beyond me?
2017-3-29
Use props
asr10user
New
United States

Welp.  Was fun while it lasted.  Just sold my osmo mobile after 2 weeks of use.  While the OIS problems with my iphone 7 plus were annoying,  The real deal breaker was the general crappy workflow of getting huge files out of the iphone onto my PC/Mac/USB.  

I was however so impressed with the tech that I bought a Phantom 3 Pro when I had almost no interest in drones previously.
2017-3-30
Use props
trise.ne
lvl.1
Germany

Olidammara Posted at 2017-3-29 04:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9JwDa-h7g

I also can't see how this should fix the OIS problem?

Did anyone else tried the magnet-workaround mentioned above? Seems more like an solution than solving a 'balancing'-problem with the moment lens?
2017-3-31
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Removed by yhe user
2017-4-1
Use props
fansf491992d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 942231 ft
  • >>>
Canada

arnoldtang Posted at 2017-3-9 18:21
i have submitted a bug radar to apple about the issue and hope they can add a option to disabling OIS for video in next version of iOS

Haha! OMG! A software update is not going to disable OIS, as OIS is a mechanical piece built into the lens module. Think of it as a floating piece of rubber, a spring or a magnet. In order for Apple to add the option to turn off OIS they would have to physically take your phone, open it up, insert a mechanical brake or some type of on/off mechanism that would physically stop the OIS. No software is going to do it, including an update to iOS. Maybe the next iPhone 8 will have some type of mechanical brake built in, but on this model (6S and 7) you're stuck with OIS always on.
2017-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules