2503 18 2015-1-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

A simple questions for DJI/ Editor etc.

If the android app is downloaded and used with the Inspire and the IOS App is released at some time in the future, will it be possible to switch to the IOS App or will the Aircraft only recognise the original operating system that it was first connected with.

Also if using an Android tablet to upgrade the firmware for the aircraft or the controller, will this have to be done again if trying to switch to an IOS App operating system in the future and would there be any conflicts switching from Android to the IOS app.

So basically what I am saying is could for example an android tablet be used to get familiar with the Inspire Simulator whilst waiting for the official IOS App release without creating problems if you wanted to switch tro IOS in the future.
2015-1-31
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

i dont have an android so this is a theoretical answer.

the APP is just the vehicle to apply the firmware payload.  once the firmware has been applied, it has been copied into the relevant hardware inside your aircraft and the remote control (and even each individual battery).  thats why its OK to erase it from the sdcard once it has been applied.

i've been able to switch from using my ipad (0.91 of the app) to using my iphone(0.92 of the app) and back. i dont see why you cant swap between ios and android as well - the support guys seem to do this, and i've seen one video that compares different tablets...

the only problem with your proposal is that the simulator is IOS only.

if you have an ios device, all i can say is give it a try.  you could take a backup in itunes before you load the app as a fail safe.
2015-1-31
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've used on both apple and android and the Inspire doesn't care which you are using.  I regularly switch my devices between my master/slave controller with no issues.  
2015-1-31
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

paulkent Posted at 2015-2-1 02:04

the APP is just the vehicle to apply the fi ...

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

No I dont have an Android either.  I purchased a new iPad mini specifically for the Inspire. I was just wondering if I borrowed my fathers android tablet if it would allow the use of the simulator whilst we await the so called IOS release.

There was me trying to think of a work around so that I could at least be using the sumulator.  

So after spending lots of money on the Inspire that sits in its case, spending lots of money for an iPad to use with the Inspire, the simulator cant even be used with an android until IOS is released.

Just gets better.
2015-2-1
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

why cant you use your ipad?  by all reports they are better than the android.
if you are concerned about the provenance of the app, i will upload it to diawi for you
2015-2-1
Use props
jkelly2900.att
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

paulkent Posted at 2015-2-1 22:38
why cant you use your ipad?  by all reports they are better than the android.
if you are concerned a ...

Please do that paulkent.  My inspire is sitting in it's case because I have an Ipad Air 2.
2015-2-1
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

here it is.  http://install.diawi.com/DBkXns  
2015-2-1
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

If your Inspire 1 crashes (for ANY reason) you will have no recourse with DJI. They will say you were using an unauthorized app even though they are the ones who advertised and promoted this product with the iOS app. Be careful.

2015-2-1
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

beg to differ there @jhogge; i've seen them ask for flight logs from both kinds of flyers.
there was indeed a legitimate window of time to have acquired the app from DJI, and while they pulled it from the website to appease apple and the approval process, they did not recall it, nor declare it unflyable.  

my advice to kelly and others is to do the IMU calibration for sure on a nice level surface, after the bird has been standing for a while (the IMU heats up, and the calibration is not as effective)

take your first couple flights from the middle of a field, no obstacles nearby.  let the beginner mode constrain your early adventures.
easy does it manual take off.  let it sit there and hover to make sure no GPS wierdness, and then take it easy, one control input at a time until you build your confidence.

up.  ok, breathe, she hovers nicely
lefhand, leftstick .. ok spins Counterclockwise
lefthand rightstick .. spins the other way.
let sticks go .. just hangs there

right hand push .. (just a wee bit) ..  forward motion (with respect to the aircraft, not how you are looking at it)
let go. she stops again.
right hand pull .. backs up

dont let the sky-is-falling crown talk you out of this.
i had all of 5 minutes on a friends phantom, and took the plunge on the Inspire

watch out for the 3rd flight.  thats when you are racing towards a tree a bit faster than you thought you were  :-)
lucky for me, letting go of both sticks gets a quick response and she stopped before chewing the pine.  i backed out carefully and decided altitude is my friend while i'm still learning.

its a barrel of fun.
2015-2-1
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jhogge Posted at 2015-2-2 01:25
If your Inspire 1 crashes (for ANY reason) you will have no recourse with DJI. They will say you wer ...

John,

Thanks for your comments.

I am like others on the forum confused about this whole IOS App and the various 0.9.2 versions etc.

Like PaulKent says, even DJI have suggested using this 0.9.2 version untill the formal release as well as UK Dealers.   DJI 24/7 on line chat even sent me the link for the .9.2 app, so I am very much tempted to try it out especially the simulator.  

Its really frustrating having this thing of beauty staring at you, whilst trying to remain calm and wait patiently for the formal IOS release.  We as customers should not be in this position and DJI should at least confirm that they do formerly recongnise and endorse these versions of the IOS App.  

I personnaly think DJI should be accountable for their inability to offer this App at point of sale and provide customers with some vouchers or free battery as a gesture of good faith, but dont see DJI being that honourable from their feedback and experience of others on the forum.

Its ok for some members on the forum saying we should be more understanding and patient, but when you have spent so much and the manufacturer cant even confirm the adequacy and authorise the app it is suggesting, it doesnt give you much faith in DJI should something go wrong.  Even if there is good legal reasoning for not endorsing the 0.9.2 version apps, there is also good legal reasoning that DJI should offer compensation in some form.

I think I will resist the temptation for now and wait a few more days.
2015-2-4
Use props
Migio
lvl.1

Italy

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-4 22:12
John,

Thanks for your comments.

i agree totally with your comments GB44 !!!
i will wait for Apple official app, as you do

and i believe DJI should (must) give a voucher for free battery or to buy an android tablet, at least with this they can soften up al this negative adv about the way they handle the problem
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Migio Posted at 2015-2-4 22:36
i agree totally with your comments GB44 !!!
i will wait for Apple official app, as you do

Migio,

I have just read an old thread about the IOS 0.9.2 App.  and the author indicated that he had 2x iPad airs that he had downloaded the App onto only to find out that his iPads would then not sync with iTunes with Apple message stating this device is no longer supported and possibly voided warranty.

So as above, I think I will wait a few further days.  Just unsure how long this issue is going to take to resolve.
2015-2-4
Use props
Embelish
lvl.2

United States

paulkent Posted at 2015-2-1 02:04

the APP is just the vehicle to apply the fi ...

I've already applied the initial firmware and am flying great.. my question is, once I receive my 2nd battery do I need to download the firmware onto my micro SD card again? Or will the aircraft update that battery on its own?

Thx
2015-2-4
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

GB44 and Miglio -- one guy out of several tens? maybe hundreds?  perhaps he did it wrong, perhaps he has a different app on his ipad already??

its your call.  the people using the app far outweigh the number of folks who tried and it borked their system.  i find it incredibly frustrating that folks feel like they are entitled to a free battery for something unexpected that happened.  they'll just have to raise the price of batteries until they get the money back, and why would DJI reward the pissy whiny customers at the expense of the ones who are more realistic giving them time to work this out?

DJI is between a rock and a hard place.  they cant acknowledge the .92 as legit, or they face the prospect of apple dragging the certification even longer.  they might know what remains to fix before apple will approve or they might be in the dark waiting for the reply on v1.00

maybe if apple denies the app they will opensource the code for it.  that way we could all improve it :-)  one can only dream ...

Embelish -- you need to leave the firmware on the sdcard for each battery to be updated - from what i've read the battery firmware update comes from the card, and is not stashed in the aircraft somewhere...;  its not clear if you have to remove the results.txt file from the card in between each battery, but at least you get a positive confirmation that it took a look at it, so thats what i did.

paul
2015-2-4
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

Great comments and helpful info on this thread. Really helps a lot. Thanks, all, esp. forum member paulkent.
2015-2-4
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

jessecarllane Posted at 2015-2-5 15:06
Great comments and helpful info on this thread. Really helps a lot. Thanks, all, esp. forum member p ...

Paul kent,

Your missing the point.  DJI knew fine well that this IOS was not available, but they decided to break sale of goods acts in probably numerous countries by selleing a product that was not as described and not as marketed e.g. no IOS App.  So those expecting to fly their new purchase with newly purchased iPads were simply left with an aircraft that sits in its case until the issue is resolved.

This is why the so called Whingers are asking for DJI as a gesture of good faith, to restore the balance and pay for their incompetence, for not getting the App approved last year, well before the revised release date in 2015.

You must be deluded if you beleive that this is Apples fault.  DJI had time to plan and programme the release date in conjunction with getting the App approved with Apple.  In fact Apple even ask when Apps are submitted if the aproval is to coincide with a launch or release date so that they can try and work together with the App developer.  DJI technicians are not stupid, they all knew about the IOS App not being ready for release.  The CEO of DJI simply made the call to delay the release date of the Inspire due to technical problems last year, but thought he would just ignore the App issue and just take peoples money.  

This in its basic form is wrong, probably and most likely illegal, but simply frustrates those customers who purchased their Inspire in good faith with hard earned money.  So please PaulKent have some respect for us Customers who are in this situation, the fault lies squarley with DJI and they need to stand up and be counted for their inactions and poor customer service.  

Yes DJI are now in between a rock and a hard please, but don't be so naive to think that DJI has no part in this to answer to.  As for time scales, I preordered in November last year so that is 3 months and into the fouth month now, how much time is enough time?  Well in legal terms the time was at the point of sale and that passed weeks ago for many.

Please understand, we probably all accept and agree the Inspire is a work of art, looks fantastic, and from other users is a dream to fly.  Those waiting for the IOS App are simply frustrated at not being able to fly the damm thing and wonder if this black case should be returned for refund or just wait another few days, another week, another month, who knows how long.  

2015-2-5
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

dude, i'm in the boat with you. i paid hard earned money, up front, in november, to get to be one of the first to enjoy a new model release.

you present no information that DJI anticipated this apple fiasco, and then "covered it up".  they started shipping, and i got my bird jan10 i think), and got the apple app by scanning the qrcode, and starting learning along with everyone else.

then apple says "to get this certified you need to cease delivering it via enterprise delivery" and you may not imply that you support apple until we say you do.  so DJI takes it out of the manual, off the web site, and hopes this wont take very long.

if you feel they broke the sale of goods act, return it for a full refund.  stop trying to shake them down for a free battery just because you smell the opportunity.

if you want to fly you have several choices.  none of these deserve "a free battery" because they are so horrible as a temporary measure

a) download the app from the many references on the internet
b) borrow a friends android
c) fly without an app

i'm not a lawyer.  you dont argue well enough to be one. i think the contract was valid on the day you paid, and that subsequent events transpired so as to make the contract undeliverable. there isnt a stated remedy in the contract for this, so you are entitled to your money back.  

but this constant whinging for a free battery.  it just strikes me as trying to take advantage of someone elses misfortune.

but enough of this.  i'm off to go fly;  i hope you get a v1. app and maybe even a free battery so peace and harmony return.

2015-2-5
Use props
brianmlevy.me
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A few points... I used the 'Chat' facility to talk to DJI support on Sunday. I asked them when the iOS app would be available and they replied by sending me a link to 0.9.2! I used 'Funbox' to install it on my iPad Air and iPhone 6. I started with the android app on a Galaxy S5 a couple of weeks ago. The performance of the iPad Air beats the pants off the Galaxy S5.

I asked DJI if they are supporting the iOS app and got the response, "Of course!". I suspect that it might be a while before the app is 'officially' available in the iTunes store. DJI know that everyone is downloading the iOS app so they are quietly helping Inspire pilots along by pointing out where to get it if you ask nicely. As far as I understand, it is important to use iOS 0.9.2 following the firmware update that rectified the little problem that caused the Inspire to be so attracted to garage doors

If you want the iOS app and want to know how to install it, there is a great YouTube video that will take you through the process step by step. It is really easy.

There is NO problem switching between the Android App and IOS App.  However, whatever you set on the device you are using is what the Inspire responds to.

I hope this is helpful....
2015-2-5
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

brianmlevy.me Posted at 2015-2-6 06:05
A few points... I used the 'Chat' facility to talk to DJI support on Sunday. I asked them when the i ...

Brian,

Thanks for the comments, appreciated.

2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules