Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Question about raw footage
1284 9 2016-9-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
britmorrisey
lvl.1
Thailand

I've been trying to shoot everything very neutral to get the most out of my footage. The sd card seems to produce a very neutral shot,  however the ssd dngs seem to look already graded out of camera. Correct if I'm wrong but shouldn't the sd and ssd picture profiles look the same.  The dng s look as if I have the standard picture profile setting and not the neutral one cin log or whatever it's called. Thanks
2016-9-23
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

How are you viewing the DNGs off the SSD? If you are viewing them in Cinelight, make sure the color option in Cinelight is in fact set to whatever you recorded in camera because Cinelight lets you preview it with a different option than what you filmed. Also, the video recorded on the SD card is of course a different codec than the DNGs on the SSD so different codecs may treat different color options differently. I notice that my SD and SSD footage looks different sometimes, but it sounds like maybe your issue is in fact something else regarding the settings.
2016-9-23
Use props
britmorrisey
lvl.1
Thailand

I'm just viewing the actual dng not in cinelight. The dng is high saturated high contrast and sharp right out of the camera. I guess another question I have is..  Can you set different settings for what the sd records and what the ssd records?  I figured the dng should look very neutral when the sd footage does.  I am traveling ATM so I cannot upload it for you but I can tell you the dng is giving me no room to work with.  Which I feel like kinda defeats the purpose of raw.
2016-9-23
Use props
britmorrisey
lvl.1
Thailand

Also I've done a few tests and none of the picture profiles or the contrast sharp and saturation are effecting the ssd?  Is this normal
2016-9-23
Use props
Morrisey Video
lvl.1
Thailand

Anyone got any ideas ?
2016-9-26
Use props
cinematic_aero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 540331 ft
United States

So you are viewing one of the frames from the raw footage off the SSD? This is the DNG you are talking about? How are you viewing the DNG and trying to edit it, with what software?
2016-9-26
Use props
Morrisey Video
lvl.1
Thailand

Viewing one of the DNGs after it's been exported out of cinelight. I believe I'm viewing the DNG with Mac preview. The default picture viewer on Mac. I really wish I wasn't in Thailand that way I could upload examples.
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Morrisey Video  Posted at 2016-9-27 12:25
Viewing one of the DNGs after it's been exported out of cinelight. I believe I'm viewing the DNG wit ...

If you could provide some examples, it would be appreciated.
2016-9-27
Use props
Sky Lens
lvl.3
Flight distance : 546273 ft
  • >>>

britmorrisey@gm Posted at 2016-9-24 01:08
Also I've done a few tests and none of the picture profiles or the contrast sharp and saturation are ...

It is normal. Raw is meant to capture frames as little disturbed as possible by in-camera processing while keeping as much information as possible.
If you bring a DNG sequence into Resolve (free) and look at the waveform, you'll see that you have indeed a flat clip.
2016-10-4
Use props
eesb
New

Portugal

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I've a question also regarding RAW footage and in the same platform, the Mac. I can only view what's inside the X5R SSD, recorded in RAW, with the Cinelight app. Everything fine to this step. Now, I would like to know what's the best practices in order to make a backup of the original media. In Post-Production there are some rules, from time to time we try to improve because things are changing every day, we need to adapt. One of our best practices is the backup, as any professional should already know. We have a workflow that follow these steps: Ingest the media - transcoding it to our own codec (in our case we use the DNxHD 120 and we work in Avid Media Composer for edit and color grading on DaVinci); then there are the edit step and finally the Audio Post-Production and the Color Grading. When an Episode is sent to the Color Grading department they will need the original file again, the one that has the best quality. How should we achieve this? Do we have to export all the frames in DNG? Is the DNG file exported from the Cinelight app the same as the original? Is there any quality loss?
Thanks in advance
2017-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules