Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bricked Inspire Controller, App thinks its a P4, AC stuck in Travel!
2768 27 2016-9-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

HELP! I'm getting desperate guys, I've been scouring old threads and trying everything with no success. Here's the deal.

On Friday I was attempting to fly the Inspire 1 which I had flown successfully several times that week including the day before. The iPad air I normally use to pilot was not with me, and I was attempting to use an iPhone 6s for the first time. Upon downloading the DJI GO app and connecting to the Inspire 1, I was prompted that an RC update was needed. Without thinking I started the update. The firmware downloaded and started to install. It was maybe 35% done when suddenly the iPhone died. The phone is getting older and has started dying randomly when it still has around 20% battery power left. Anyway since that time, now when I connect any device (Android or IOS) to the RC, it only recognizes it as a Phantom 4 controller, not an Inspire controller. It will not connect with the aircraft. The Inspire is stuck in travel mode, (blue light on the back) and the gimbal is unresponsive when connected. I have tried to downgrade firmware on the controller  both through the app and through a formatted USB and formatted mini sd card in a card reader on the back. No success there. I have tried a hard reset of the controller using C1 C2 Record and Camera Dial, powering off and back on, no success. I have tried several different versions of the firmware bin file including 1.03.00 and 1.05.008  The RC doesn't even seem to be reading the card/usb at all. The light blue light on the controller continues to taunt me. When the app is connected, in the about section current firmware for RC and AC says unknown. When i attempt to upgrade or downgrade the firmware via the app, the update will download, the remote light becomes dark blue and it starts beeping, but when it tries to install it stays at 0% for a minute before saying, "Attempt failed" I have been formatting the card and thumb drive on a Mac, because that's all I have at home, I can try it on a PC tomorrow at work. Any other thoughts on what I can do? Please help!
2016-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, could you please try to downgrade the RC firmware to 1.5.80 again and then re-link your RC with aircraft ?
2016-9-25
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-9-26 10:27
Hi, could you please try to downgrade the RC firmware to 1.5.80 again and then re-link your RC with  ...

Hi Mindy, I would love if I could downgrade, but sadly any attempt to downgrade through the app just fails, and any attempt to downgrade with a USB/sd card doesn't even seem to register at all on the controller.  The light on the controller does become dark blue, and it beeps, but the install never gets past 0% and it always says "failed, restart and try again"  I wonder if this is because the app is recognizing the controller as a Phantom 4 controller? I don't know. Thanks for your suggestion though!
2016-9-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-26 11:17
Hi Mindy, I would love if I could downgrade, but sadly any attempt to downgrade through the app ju ...

Have you tried to reinstall the DJI GO app? Or you could try to change another mobile device to downgrade it again.
2016-9-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-25 22:17
Hi Mindy, I would love if I could downgrade, but sadly any attempt to downgrade through the app ju ...

Delete the go app and start over ( You must do this )   Do NOT use a cell signal use land based  Internet for the Upload.  You must get it back to 1.58 on the RC and get it out of travel mode.  

The go app is corrupted now and must be Deleted and re installed.  See what happens then with a Land based internet when you hook up the Rc to Go App device.  It should say that an update is needed for the RC and you must get to 1.58.  If you re- set  the RC transmitter you may have to go in order.

When you get to 1.58 get out of travel mode on the aircraft and then update the Aircraft first if you choose to do so.  

Once you get this far let me know.  Also if you re set it may have turned the RC OFF this will not allow thumb drives to update.  When you can get into the Go App make sure you are on MASTER and not "off"  in the RC settings page, this is very important .
***The reason it says phantom 4 is because you reset it ( RC )  and it has no idea what aircraft you are on, when you get communication back with the Aircraft it will revert back to Inspire 1 .

Also I notice you are trying to load all types of files to a SD card only certain files will work with it .  ONLY  the 1.3 file on the DJI page and files that begin with c1 like this will work on the RC tranmitter .
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/RC/C1_FW_V01.05.0080.bin

let me know

donnie

2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-26 08:16
Delete the go app and start over ( You must do this )   Do NOT use a cell signal use land based  In ...

Donnie, I have deleted and redownloaded the app on several different devices, both android and IOS, the install of the upgrade always acts the same. And I never get a notification that says update is needed or I must get to 1.58, I have the option to downgrade to the 1.58 by holding on to the academy icon for 10 seconds or when I go to aircraft status, overall status says Transmitter update required but only gives the option to go to 1.6. In both cases the light on the RC will go dark blue and it will beep, but it always fails. It downloads the firmware and then starts to install, stays at 0% for a while and says, "Attempt Failed"

I am going to try the bin file you linked above on a sd card formatted on a PC and let you know how that goes. Thanks for your help Donnie! I feel like this is a puzzle I have to solve, I know there's a way.
2016-9-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-26 12:56
Donnie, I have deleted and redownloaded the app on several different devices, both android and IOS ...

Ok, also try a different device for the "Go App " if you can .  ( If this attempt does not work )    All you need to do is get a file uploaded to the system and then you can go up or down but you must get to 1.58 to get out of the Transport mode.  then you can update the Aircraft FIRST then the RC to the latest one.  

Make sure if you use my file that you have a formatted thumb drive and  only the Bin file is on the SD card.

donnie
2016-9-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Donnie, I have deleted and redownloaded the app on several different devices, both android and IOS ...

Also the RC is not going to say you need to get to 1.58 to get out of this pickle.  In the future it is imparative to NEVER upload the RC before the aircraft when there are updates for both available .  I have begged DJI to change the wording  and they say they are working on it .  

The problem with yours is you have corrupted data on it  from the data getting interupted, now you also did a reset- so I am not sure where you are at on the RC.

DID YOU MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE ON MASTER  on the Remote control settings this is important !!!!

also do you know what version is on the aircraft right now ?  
2016-9-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

also next time and If you get to it , you can sometimes scroll to get to the desired version of FW.

http://forum1.djicdn.com/data/at ... zrs5gb934zfnr54.png
2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-26 12:23
also next time and If you get to it , you can sometimes scroll to get to the desired version of FW ...

Donnie, Great news, your 1.58 bin worked to reset my controller! It's recognizing the inspire again! Hallelujah! Here's the thing though, the AC is still stuck in travel mode. Do I need to downgrade or upgrade the ac now? Can I even upgrade when its in travel mode and the gimbal is unresponsive? The RC is connecting to the aircraft, showing firmware 1.07.09 + I think for the Inspire, 1.58 for the controller, but I just can't get it out of travel mode, should I try the screwdriver on the bottom? What are your thoughts?
2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

I used the file you sent me above on a thumb drive formatted on a PC. And it worked like a charm. It was the Mac formatting that was holding me up. So I'm at 1.58 on the RC, any thoughts on why I still can't get the controller to bring the inspire out of travel mode?
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-27 04:18
Donnie, Great news, your 1.58 bin worked to reset my controller! It's recognizing the inspire agai ...

Just to make sure the communication is refreshed, try the following button combination:

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button on the controller, then the controller will beep like D-DD.
*Let go all fingers, press the wheel on the right side of the controller and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link shortly.

When you say the gimbal is unresponsive, do you mean you've tried propping up the aircraft to make clearance to connect the camera and it's limp?
2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-26 14:33
Just to make sure the communication is refreshed, try the following button combination:

* Turn o ...

Yes Jamie that's exactly what I mean, with drone propped up and gimbal connected it is totally limp. I will try the communication refresh right now. Thanks!
2016-9-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-27 05:23
Yes Jamie that's exactly what I mean, with drone propped up and gimbal connected it is totally lim ...

Please keep us posted. Even though the camera is limp, do you get any video feed?
2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-26 16:08
Please keep us posted. Even though the camera is limp, do you get any video feed?

Jamie, the camera is limp, and there is no video feed. I tried relinking the controller and the aircraft as you outlined above, it linked successfully but still will not exit travel mode, either by doing the up and down four times on the controller or tapping 'exit travel mode' from within the app. The current RC firmware in the about section of the app is 1.05.08, aircraft is 1.07.09+ is this the source of my troubles?
2016-9-26
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-26 12:07
Also the RC is not going to say you need to get to 1.58 to get out of this pickle.  In the future i ...

Donnie, any ideas on how to get my aircraft out of this weird stuck travel mode? the 1.5.8 fw on my remote is now connecting just fine with the aircraft, but i cannot get it to exit travel mode for the life of me, the gimbal is unresponsive so I can't update it. I just got off the phone with DJI and they had me try the screwdriver on the bottom but to no avail. I actually manually brought the legs down some, but the blue light is still on, gimbal still unresponsive. Aircraft firmware is now saying 1.8.1.00. You're the man brother D
2016-9-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-26 19:41
Donnie, any ideas on how to get my aircraft out of this weird stuck travel mode? the 1.5.8 fw on m ...

Ok, this makes no sense, You are saying that the controller is at 1.58 and the aircraft is at 1.8.  How in the world did the Aircraft get updated to 1.8 ???  The whole goal (   and just so you know I am not blaming you I am just trying to understand )  was to get you to 1.58 to match the Previous Firmware on the AC (1.7 )  that the aircraft was on to get you out of travel mode.  
Manually using the screw to get out of Trtavel mode will not help your situation , this is only used when the servo ( the worm gear servo )  is stuck, not when you have lost communication to the AC, I  am suprised that DJI gave you this advise if you told them your situation.  This is the post on how to do it properly, dont worry about this for now unless you just want to know how to do it properly if the need arises.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-52862-1-1.html

When   you read this, I would like you to call me or send me a text at --- --- ----  let me know when you will have about an hour or less to spend in front of the system and I will do my best to get home and get to my notes.  

***Also when you are trying to get out of travel mode the camera should be NOT CONNECTED TO THE AIRCRAFT , IT WILL NOT GO INTO  or out of TRAVEL MODE UNTIL YOU HAVE THE CAMERA DISCONNECTED.

Firmware.  (Please DONT DO ANYTHING UNITL YOU GET WITH ME. and if you have , let me know when we talk please )    I tried to stay online yesterdsay as long as I could but had to go to work.  
We will get this sorted -  ( I hope and Pray ) You are on  top opf my list to get fixed.  

donnie

2016-9-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-27 06:24
Jamie, the camera is limp, and there is no video feed. I tried relinking the controller and the ai ...

Could you clarify what kind of surface you are placing the aircraft on?
2016-9-27
Use props
austheywood
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-27 05:56
Ok, this makes no sense, You are saying that the controller is at 1.58 and the aircraft is at 1.8.  ...

Donnie,

Thank you so much man!!! I was starting to lose hope after talking to DJI customer service and they told me to just send it in. You were right, it was still a firmware issue, but once I got the RC to 1.6 and the AC to 1.81 with your help, it came out of travel mode no problem and now I'm flying again! I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it, you're the man.  If you're ever in Salt Lake City you always have a place to stay and if I ever make it to East Lansing I gotta at least buy you a pizza or something. Thank you SO SO MUCH Donnie! I'm back in business just in time for a shoot this week.
2016-9-27
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

austheywood@gma Posted at 2016-9-27 16:36
Donnie,

Thank you so much man!!! I was starting to lose hope after talking to DJI customer servi ...

Happy to help out, if you ever need a place to crash  (Bad choice of word ) you are welcome to my place In EL !  and Pizza would be great !!

Glad we have it sorted-

donnie
2016-9-28
Use props
in10s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11886952 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-28 02:55
Happy to help out, if you ever need a place to crash  (Bad choice of word ) you are welcome to my place In EL !  and Pizza would be great !!

Glad we have it sorted-

Hello Comunity
I got a bricked RC,wich any of my 2 Apple Tablets.nor my Samsung S7 can recognice.
Tried about anything i read here.. Firmware 1.5.8. or 1.3.0 ,the bin file.... and i could reset the RC...but it is just blinking blue Nonstop,when i insert any of the FW bin files.
All my other 5 RC working great..
And i tried to reset another one.. until it was blinking blue,but after i inserted a 1.5.8 file,it was recognized by the Go app...

Bot lost what i could do more

Thanks for your help...and sorry for my english

Raphael
2017-4-22
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

in10s Posted at 2017-4-22 10:49
Hello Comunity
I got a bricked RC,wich any of my 2 Apple Tablets.nor my Samsung S7 can recognice.
Tried about anything i read here.. Firmware 1.5.8. or 1.3.0 ,the bin file.... and i could reset the RC...but it is just blinking blue Nonstop,when i insert any of the FW bin files.

Ok , are you saying the RC transmitter will start the aircraft motors , but you cannot connect to the Go app device  with the RC transmitter ?

When you say you have 5 other transmitters what are they for ???  Only One type of transmitter will work for the Inspire , You can't use a Phantom RC to control the Inspire .  

Are you saying you cannot update the RC transmitter because the Go app will not open up when you connect it to the RC transmitter ??  

do you already have the Aircraft updated ? if so what FW is on it now .
****Just so you know , when you load the FW via a thumb drive to rhe RC transmitter ,  the firmware for the Aircraft and RC transmitter are NOT the same  ( after 1.3 anyway ) so you may be trying to load the wrong FW.  Only special  files can be used for the RC and then it will ONLY  work until you get to 1.6 on the RC .  

Lets go from here

donnie

2017-5-2
Use props
in10s
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

Donnie * Posted at 2017-5-2 04:21
Ok , are you saying the RC transmitter will start the aircraft motors , but you cannot connect to the Go app device  with the RC transmitter ?

When you say you have 5 other transmitters what are they for ???  Only One type of transmitter will work for the Inspire , You can't use a Phantom RC to control the Inspire .  

Hi Donnie ..   yes ,i can the connect manualy the Transmitters  and  start the aircraft (Inspire 1 ) wich had the 1.2.1 Firmware,with the 4 finger method...after i upgraded one of my Inspire to 1.3.0 ,i can can still connect the transmitter to the bird,but not start the motors or controll the landing gear...but..my only real problem,is,that the app do not recognize my transmitters

And  the go app does not recognice my transmitters... not on 2 diffrent IOS devices or on 2 Android devices.
On the Samsung S7 i can hear a connecting sound,woch shows,that the USB Port is alive

The other Transmitors are for my my 2 Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 ..and 3 for my other 2 Inspires.. and all of them connect to the Go App(i know the P3 and P4  RC not work for the inspire)

When i put any firmware from 1.3.00 or higher...noothing happen...not even a text file appears.
Tried also to connect it via the X3 camera...but nothing happen

i read so much of your professional help here in the forum,but couldn,t find any solution with that problem ...
2017-5-2
Use props
in10s
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

in10s Posted at 2017-5-2 06:00
Hi Donnie ..   yes ,i can the connect manualy the Transmitters  and  start the aircraft (Inspire 1 ) wich had the 1.2.1 Firmware,with the 4 finger method...after i upgraded one of my Inspire to 1.3.0 ,i can can still connect the transmitter to the bird,but not start the motors or controll the landing gear...but..my only real problem,is,that the app do not recognize my transmitters

And  the go app does not recognice my transmitters... not on 2 diffrent IOS devices or on 2 Android devices.

ohh...sorry forgot to mention,that i also tried older FW...also without succes

Thanks for all your help here in the forum

Raphael
2017-5-2
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

in10s Posted at 2017-5-2 06:00

This is a problem I have heard about before with older FW and the Go apps.  Ok you are on 1.3 on the aircraft now correct ?  If you are at 1.2,1 on the RC you will need to load I believe 1.2.2  then 1.2.3 then to get to 1.3 .

I am at work right now but I have that file at home I can get You ( If I can find the link I will send it to you  )

You will load the  thumb drive and make sure that it is the only file on there .  Once you load the thumb drive with the  file , then place in USB port and turn on the transmitter  and turn on the RC, it should begin .  

When you say you tried "older Firmware "  , what which ones did you load ?

Ok found it , go to this link and start at the bottom of the Inspire 1 downloads .  find the one that IS CURRENTLY  on the RC transmitter and then load the next one in order till you get to 1.3, then you should be able to start the motors ( may need to re link ) then update to the latest Firmware on the AC and RC .  

Donnie
2017-5-2
Use props
in10s
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

Donnie * Posted at 2017-5-2 07:32
This is a problem I have heard about before with older FW and the Go apps.  Ok you are on 1.3 on the aircraft now correct ?  If you are at 1.2,1 on the RC you will need to load I believe 1.2.2  then 1.2.3 then to get to 1.3 .

I am at work right now but I have that file at home I can get You ( If I can find the link I will send it to you  )

Hi Donnie ..thanks for your fast answer :-)   DJI should pay you,so you have not to work anymore beside :-)..
But i do not see any link yet ..

Thanks
Raphael
2017-5-2
Use props
in10s
lvl.1
  • >>>
Switzerland

in10s Posted at 2017-5-2 07:52
Hi Donnie ..thanks for your fast answer :-)   DJI should pay you,so you have not to work anymore beside :-)..
But i do not see any link yet ..

i couldn,t wait..and exchanged my Phantom 3 Board to one of the Inspire RC,s...and Yes...no surprise..it was working,and the board on the Phantom didn,t work anymore.... i guess the Firmware is stored on the board?
Ok,we knew allready before,that the Transmiter works,as i could controll the drone.. but now  i know,in worsed case ,i just need 2 new boards ... but still hope,we can find a fix,since the RC,s are never used and this boards are  not cheap

Raphael
2017-5-2
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

in10s Posted at 2017-5-2 16:37
i couldn,t wait..and exchanged my Phantom 3 Board to one of the Inspire RC,s...and Yes...no surprise..it was working,and the board on the Phantom didn,t work anymore.... i guess the Firmware is stored on the board?
Ok,we knew allready before,that the Transmiter works,as i could controll the drone.. but now  i know,in worsed case ,i just need 2 new boards ... but still hope,we can find a fix,since the RC,s are never used and this boards are  not cheap

I am sorry , I did  not realize the link did not attach, here it is if you still need it .  And yes  Part of the FW is stored on the Board .  I had one member who told me his Inspire  RC always wanted to go the the Phanotm  FW page , after some investigation I found he had switched the Boards and I either missed it Or he forgot to tell me .
So Once again , If you can figure out what FW is on the RC currently and then update to the next on in the Order from the bottom , be sure you use the Inspire 1 downloads and not the Pro etc.  Once you get  the RC to update then go to the next one , till you get to 1.3 then the go app should recognize the FW, then you can update the AC and RC to the latest version .  Be sure to read my tips page as well if or when you get  to this point .
Start with this one regardless, http://www.panorobot.com/dji/download/inspire/Inspire_1_Firmwarev1.2.1.06_en.zip
MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THEN OPEN THE FILE TO GET TO THE BIN FILE ..  the BIN file is the only thing that gets loaded to the Thumb drive or USB adapter or whatever you are uing , just be sure ONLY the BIN file is on it .

Then go to the 1.3 file just above this one .

http://www.panorobot.com/dji/inspire_firmwares.htm

TIPS FOR UPLOADING FIRMWARE - SD  card updating and RC Transmitter

donnie

2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules