o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Ha ha ha.

DJI, congratulations.

For those who know Unix, you will appreciate the title. Mavic has just taken out Karma and probably the P4 with it.

Brilliant execution DJI, this story will be in casebook studies for years to come. Just make sure Mavic's quality is good and this is a home run beat to savor.

Finis.
2016-9-27
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

All of which means little if anything to the Inspire community...
2016-9-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Not true. While the Inspire is basically unchallenged presently, and is a prosumer system, clearly most of the market is on the entry end. The success of the Phantom series is what is driving profitability of the company as well as giving it bragging rights. Mavics has got all the technology of the P4 in a smaller form factor and that speaks to engineering finesse. In case you don't already know, the P4 radio system is superior to that of the Inspire's in terms of reliability and distance and with Mavics, DJI has upped that claim further. This is to say nothing of collision avoidance and all the fancy follow me features.

In seeking to retain its ace status in the consumer market, DJI has diverted tremendous engineering resources to P4 and Mavics. They took what they learnt from the Inspire and Matrix 100 and miniaturised it. This surely is remarkable.

The desire to wipe GoPro has a personal edge as well. GoPro snubbed DJI when DJI wanted a preferential deal for camera tech when the P1/P2 were in play. This nudged DJI to develop its own camera tech culminating in the X5R. American media bragging about GoPro's Karma is as much about national pride as it is about business. Think Apple vs. Samsung. Except in this case, DJI beats GoPro in every department and more. They have even gone $749 vs. $799, anticipating how the low end marketeer and consumer think.

How is this relevant to the Inspire community? Given the prowess DJI has, all of Mavics features and some of the Matrice 600's and more could go into the Inspire 2 in a blink. The X5R could get a new sensor and operate in REC 2020 color space, fulling using up that 10 bit color capability it has. They could further optimise power weight ratio to gain more flight time with the same battery packs. But for now, that isn't going to happen as the eye is on total dominance at the consumer level.
2016-9-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-9-27 17:19
Not true. While the Inspire is basically unchallenged presently, and is a prosumer system, clearly m ...

MTC

Nicely put and mostly on target. I still think DJI must take care of the prosumer market and especially the customers out there with the Inspire 1 family of products. I wish they would put some of there engineering efforts on the Inspire 1 FW and get our problems fixed!

I am starting to loose faith they are going to take care of us.
Rich
2016-9-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-9-28 13:03
MTC

Nicely put and mostly on target. I still think DJI must take care of the prosumer market and  ...

Rich,

I'm speculating that a change was made to the radio communications protocol that taxes the processors on the Inspire platform but is well within spec on the P4.

I suspect also that the various R&D units are not in synch. So it does pay to nudge DJI to come up with a statement.
2016-9-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

See http://forum.dji.com/thread-65272-1-1.html  -

OK DJI and friends, you made graphically clear what I expressed last week.
Celebrate by all means but be sure you continue to deliver and please read history after a brief gloat.
In the 1970's and 1980's, the Japanese struck fear in corporate America but how Western powers circled the wagon.
The rest, as they say is history.
There are many degrees of freedom in this game; the night is long for the drone industry DJI. Remember that
2016-10-5
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79846 ft
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-9-28 06:03
MTC

Nicely put and mostly on target. I still think DJI must take care of the prosumer market and  ...

Agree Rich. Was just about to place an order for a Matrice 600 and having a look on the forum about all the problems and issues, well I'm holding back. I think there will always be problems and issues with new technology but its how you address them that counts. The recent upgrade on the ap is just sloppy. Why DJI don't have a number of beta testers for new upgrades that they give some "credits" for doing so and then fix the issues reported back would fix a great percentage of the problems. Think there is more attention to marketing Mavic then fixing pro end problems...shame.
2016-10-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Helipilot Posted at 2016-10-7 17:51
Agree Rich. Was just about to place an order for a Matrice 600 and having a look on the forum abou ...

Agree but the reality is that they are running a business. The pro products you have to admit, are better than anything available for the same price and trouble. As long as that remains so, things are going to remain thus.
2016-10-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Helipilot Posted at 2016-10-7 17:51
Agree Rich. Was just about to place an order for a Matrice 600 and having a look on the forum abou ...

Agree but the reality is that they are running a business. The pro products you have to admit, are better than anything available for the same price and trouble. As long as that remains so, things are going to remain less than perfect but workable. These forums tend to play up issues but if there weren't silent satisfied customers, do you think DJI would be around?
2016-10-7
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79846 ft
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-10-7 16:03
Agree but the reality is that they are running a business. The pro products you have to admit, are ...

Mike, I do agree, I worked for the returns division of Kodak and a million years ago thery launched the "disc" camera. Within weeks of the launch we were getting back about 50 cameras a week with faults and `i thought what a crap product. When I mentioned this tio my boss he pointed out that Kodak were selling around 25,000 per week!!! Put it into perspective and this I do appreciate is the same. The pro products do look good but it would be reassuring to know that some of the issues were being addressed. I've came from the Yuneec camp and they too are not without their problems, although in fairness they did react very quickly to two issues I had, one with a camera...replaced within 48 hours and the other with a battery that had gone dead ( just outside the warranty period) again replaced within 3 days. I think even to get an acknowledgement that they are looking into the problem would help ease part of the pain.
2016-10-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Helipilot Posted at 2016-10-8 15:31
Mike, I do agree, I worked for the returns division of Kodak and a million years ago thery launche ...

Well, the DJI team is back at work on a Saturday. I think the challenge with issues is that some like the 'No Image Transmission' problem have multiple sources and that some complaints are spurious and due to some user related error. I'm generally happy with my X5R rig - the images are truly satisfying to capture and process.  

As for the app 'tweaks'. This is an annoying part of the culture in this part of the world. There is a well intentioned desire to 'upgrade' constantly without appreciating that people get used to a UI and develop instinctive / implicit interaction with it; and then this is messed up by changes that need not have been made.

Unfortunately for DJI, language still is a bit of a barrier and people who hate pro forma replies should asks themselves if, things were turned around, if they would be able to answer technical questions fluently in Chinese....
2016-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules