Difference Mavic pro CE and FCC
24676 26 2016-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Y7Qs1aVD1M1M
lvl.1
France

Hi,

Is there two Mavic, one CE and one FCC or it is the same ?

Thanks,
Laurent.
2016-10-1
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

Would doubt it. On the P3 the CE and FCC modes were determined by the location using it.
2016-10-1
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I don't think they are the same. While it would be nice, I'm expecting half the range on the CE I ordered a few days ago.
2016-10-1
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Previous Phantom drones used a software switch in the DJI app to switch modes for country.

Or firmware...

2016-10-1
Use props
Mayoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

CE - Conformité Européene - European Certification

FCC - North American Certification
2016-10-1
Use props
asaerong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Poland

Would like to know this as well, (between CE/FCC) if the power/tx range is also determined by location as detected by the GPS? maybe someone from DJI can confirm like Tahoe_Ed did for P3 ?
2016-10-8
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

I see no reason why it wouldn't be (other than the fact it puts people off buying the products when they are so artificially restricted, especially for peeps like me that don't even live in Euirope...)
2016-10-8
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

The models are identical.
Throttle back to 20dbm/100mW EIRP is done via software based on detected GPS location.

20dbm will give more than ample range since virtually every European country has laws in place to limit operations to 400ft agl and 500m distance/LOS.

There is more than enough power in reserve at 100mW to achieve these distances even in noisey rf environments.

What's the problem unless you intend to fly illegally?

2016-10-8
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

It's not 20db, CE models are crippled at 17 db.

The max I have ever achieved, by accident as it was heading for the wrong RTH point, was 460 meters, where I just about managed to get it to stop and then turn around, while constantly having "No signal" flashing up.

The other day I did a flight for a friend over a river, both up and down river, while standing at the pointy end of a V in the river, so clear line of sight, no obstructions, and in both directions it was losing signal at 260 meters and I was forced to return, so you can't even call it 500 meters.

It's advertised as having a 1 kilometer range, and in the small print the CE as having HALF of that at 500 meters, and in the real world most of get HALF of that again, so we're literally getting 1/4 of what most buyers will be expecting.

And again, I am not in Europe.
2016-10-8
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-8 10:56

The max I have ever achieved, by accident as it was ...

According to DJI's own specifications:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)        FCC:≤26 dBm       CE:≤20 dBm

http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs
2016-10-8
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-8 18:56

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about (as indeed you appear not to either).
20dbm/100mW EIRP is the legal maximum permitted for fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices in the UK and most of Europe which is what DJI's equipment throttles down to when in a European location (which is what this thread is about).

Maybe you should go onto the GoPro Karma site (are you confusing that) where their aircraft is software limited to 1km range - The DJI products are not!
2016-10-9
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-8 18:05
Throttle back to 20dbm/100mW EIRP is done via software based on detected  ...

Why aren't all cars limited to 70mph in UK then or whatever the limit is in USA?
2016-10-9
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-8 18:56

I bought the Phantom 4K model - the basic one with a 4k camera. I had similar range issues as you so returned and got a Phantom 3 Pro with Lightbridge. Huge difference - could get over 4km over water and more populated areas i was able to get 400-500m without problem
2016-10-9
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-9 18:01
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about (as indeed you appear not to either).
20dbm/1 ...

"20dbm/100mW EIRP is the legal maximum permitted for fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices in the UK and most of Europe which is what DJI's equipment throttles down to when in a European location"

The app allows you to change from the default CE setting of 17 up to 27, which, according to others, is higher than the FCC setting of 20.

If those figures are wrong then go tell the others and the guy that wrote the app.

What I DO know is my CE set bird was showing 17, I set it at 20, upon reboot it was still at 20, but upon going outside and trying with GPS lock it reset itself to 17 again.

I don't know why Fulgerite has posted the specs for the Mavic, but for the P3S the specs are shown as:

Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 20 dBm
  • CE: 16 dBm

http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-standard/info#specs

So I guess I should consider myself lucky with 17?

2016-10-9
Use props
asaerong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Poland

How do you change the setting in Go app? i tried but can't find where to set it... (can't go in on mavic menu yet as mine still waiting on delivery, only tried it with P4 menu)
2016-10-9
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cjmc Posted at 2016-10-9 12:08
Why aren't all cars limited to 70mph in UK then or whatever the limit is in USA?

What? Where do cars come into the equation?

Have I just woken up in an alternate universe?
2016-10-9
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

asaerong Posted at 2016-10-9 21:55
How do you change the setting in Go app? i tried but can't find where to set it... (can't go in on m ...

There's no setting in the official app but there is an unofficial one, however it doesn't work as the firmware just overides it once it knows it's not in America.

The "European" setting appears to cover "Everything that isn't America".
2016-10-9
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-9 05:19
"20dbm/100mW EIRP is the legal maximum permitted for fixed antenna 2.4ghz transmitting devices in t ...

I don't understand your post.

I posted the a link to the DJI spec page for the Mavic which clearly shows a CE:20 dBm rating.  I thought we were talking about the Mavic here?

I am not talking about Phanom 3.
2016-10-9
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

"I don't understand your post."

Try harder?
2016-10-9
Use props
cjmc
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-9 17:46
What? Where do cars come into the equation?

Have I just woken up in an alternate universe?

I was satirically referencing your point about the laws and the limits justifying there being enough power to ensure 400ft alt and 500m distance is achieved even in noisy environments. What if i want to fly further? What if i want to speed while driving was the quip...
2016-10-9
Use props
Zeeboid
New

United States

Firmware limited... interesting.  I wonder if anyone will be modifying the firmware to open it up even more...
2016-10-23
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

It was mentioned in a different thread that the standard being used (FCC or CE) is based off GPS location.  
2016-10-23
Use props
fans48a0ed42
lvl.1

United States

From DJI.com Mavic Spec

REMOTE CONTROLLER

Operating Frequency                 2.4 GHz to 2.483 GHz
Max Transmission Distance         FCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
                                         CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)
Operating Temperature                 32° to 104° F ( 0° to 40° C )
Battery                                 2970mAh
Transmitter Power (EIRP)         FCC:≤26 dBm
                                        CE:≤20 dBm
Operating Voltage                950mA @ 3.7V
2016-11-8
Use props
Juan01
lvl.2

Spain

Tharg (from the Posted at 2016-10-8 09:05
Throttle back to 20dbm/100mW EIRP is done via software based on detected GPS location.Throttle back to 20dbm/100mW EIRP is done via software based on detected GPS location.

20dbm will give more than ample range since virtually every European country has laws in place to limit operations to 400ft agl and 500m distance/LOS.

There is more than enough power in reserve at 100mW to achieve these distances even in noisey rf environments.

What's the problem unless you intend to fly illegally?

I you just want to fly 400ft agl and 500m distance/LOS you won't waste your money on something as expensive as the Mavic.
Anyway the law is different in every country.
2018-5-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Identical drones - different radio transmission based on location. Buy a Mavic Pro in Europe and you'll get 4KM. Pack it up, fly to the United States, set it up and you'll get 7KM with the same drone.
2018-5-25
Use props
djiuser_CZ5Ws0YaXxzZ
New

Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-5-25 10:55
Identical drones - different radio transmission based on location. Buy a Mavic Pro in Europe and you'll get 4KM. Pack it up, fly to the United States, set it up and you'll get 7KM with the same drone.

It's all about legal product confirmation!

You buy a fcc version, you get the specs
You buy a ce version, you get those specs!

If your ce version has more range than the product confirmation and sold in Europe than it is illegal...

Fcc is the way to go...
2019-4-19
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_CZ5Ws0YaXxzZ Posted at 4-19 01:41
It's all about legal product confirmation!

You buy a fcc version, you get the specs

Given that the legal distance for horizontal flight in the UK is 500m/VLOS CE is more than fine in my experience. Not to mention that if you bought an FCC DJI product from the States and had it imported to the UK you would have to return it to the US for any warranty claim and pay import duty.
2019-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules