Hard Side Case for my Phantom 3 Pro
2087 19 2016-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Last week, after much consideration, I had gone ahead and placed an order for a rugged Canadian made Plasticase, Nanuk 945 Phantom 3 Pro case.
https://www.plasticase.com/shop/large/nanuk-945/
Found a decently priced deal on them at my local Vistek Photography and ordered it there.
www.vistek.com

It has enough storage for my near present and possibly far future needs as well. Haha
The single one thing the unit I currently use, don't have, being a DJI hardshell backpack I'm semi-retiring, & is in much need of, was some more storage space. Particularly in the extra battery compartment department. This new case, (for me) has plenty of extra storage capacity/room to store the one flight battery in the drone as well, six extra intelligent flight batteries. Yeah man,This one has been well thought out. Heck yes, The rotor Props may even be left on, or removed, & it's also got a convenient space at the back for my iPad Air2 Celular. There is a slot designated for a smaller tablet like iPad Mini, but I would need to widen it slightly, to fit my Air2 Cellular.  That was going to be a neat tidy job, but I went ahead & left it intact.
With other extra storage spaces: I can even store away in safety my awesome Lume Cubes with mounting brackets attached. That will be a great place to have those handy.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
Both of my 100w chargers will have storage too. Even space to save/stick my replay1080p Camera kit.
The RC sits in the case sideways, so now, when this lid is closed, the props are no longer in danger of being inadvertantly compressed or damaged in rough transit.
There is also a removable foam cover that fits around the camera and gimbal itself, before you place the drone inside.

I might briefly, miss having the dual shoulder straps, but I ordered a comfortable single over the shoulder strap for it, so it should be awesome to transport, all the same.
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=PLC-900-STRAP
So No more bashing it, while turning too soon, when passing through a doorway or elevator entrance... ;-)
See what good things Aeroworks and Sparky has to say about this case..

A Lifetime warranty too.  At this age, Mine or it?? Chuckles
Anyone else using one of these awesome cases, love to hear your thoughts and experiences using yours.
Heck it's even dust proof, waterproof, and  has a pressure valve. Padlock capable. Splendid, know what mean?

RedHotPoker

image.jpeg
2016-10-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Those are pretty nice, thank you for sharing.
2016-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-10-1 21:17
Those are pretty nice, thank you for sharing.

Yes, built tough, for our Canadian rugged uses. Haha
But even on the comfy island,  Irixguy sounds pleased as punch with his... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-10-1
Use props
Adam Flurk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Looks really nice! I like all the extra space compared to the one that I have. Very nice.
2016-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2016-10-1 23:37
Looks really nice! I like all the extra space compared to the one that I have. Very nice.

Thanks Adam, yes, it has plenty of extra storage compartments. Yeah, really like this one, for its size and design layout inside.
That's the only disadvantage with the other case I already have. Always wanted another intelligent flight battery or two, now can store them and much more, no problem.

It will be a lot different, when transporting this case, but the extra safety and security will be well worth it.
Having the ability to actually add a couple of padlocks really appealed to me, the dust and waterproof seal also sold me.
And with being built in Canada, I can count on high quality construction, plus no extra shipping costs for me to add on to the bottom line. Canadian GST is always expected though.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Got the much anticipated call, from Vistek Photography around 12:30pm this afternoon. My ordered Case was in. Weeeee haha
So I jumped on the SpYder and sped over. This case is way better than what I had even half expected. So rugged and well built.
Yeah, from watching those various YouTube video presentations, I already understood just how incredibly well manufactured these cases are!!
Heck & you know what, in real life, you can even get to smell it. Haha

RedHotPoker

2016-10-28
Use props
skyticlus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322684 ft

Isn't it a little to big,,, i got annoyed by the normal case the ph4 came with... i just put it in a normal fitness bag or take it by hand and put it in the car upside down while driving to my destination...
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

skyticlus Posted at 2016-11-2 14:02
Isn't it a little to big,,, i got annoyed by the normal case the ph4 came with... i just put it in a ...

A 'little' big, yes, yes it is. But the larger Nanuk 950 has wheels and a pull up handle, to roll it along, like a fine bit of luggage. Then again, Weight (empty)        16.5 lbs | 7.5 kg
They make even bigger cases, particularly if you need to transport something like, a body or similar sized object. On Halloween I mean!! ;-) welcome only if you go as the undertaker, or coroner. Chuckles
It must be nice, having a roof over your head, and your delicate drone? I try to imagine that, all the time. Hahaha
Since I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S. The back passenger seat is where I strap the Nanuk 945 to. ;-)
Been caught in a heavy downpour a few times, and I always worried about moisture, seeping through the hardshell backpack zipper.

RedHotPoker

2016-11-2
Use props
skyticlus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322684 ft

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-3 04:23
A 'little' big, yes, yes it is. But the larger Nanuk 950 has wheels and a pull up handle, to roll  ...

driving a SpYder RS-S, thats even better as flying a drone?

If you drive something like that i can see how a luggage can be handy . . .

I always put my drone in the passenger seat upside down untill i arrive at my destination or in the car luggage if people are driving a long,,,, you never know what can happen and when you'll need the drone to capture a great shot
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, it's been a joy for me. I carry other cameras too, including my two iPads.

Sometimes I may even haul my Nikon D800 with 80-400mm up front in the "Frunk"!! Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-2
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

but this will not fit in an airplane overhead, will it? Will the default dji hardcase? The soft backpack i have is ok for me, but it's too big for carry on as well.....
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2016-11-2 23:32
but this will not fit in an airplane overhead, will it? Will the default dji hardcase? The soft back ...

AFAIK no! What I read is:
The Nanuk 945 will not fit in the overhead bins so is not approved as a carry-on. You will need to check the case with the airline. But you will look splendid with this case so you might get a better deal for checking it. ;-)
Yet, in the Vistek Photo blurb:
  • Meets Airline Carry On Requirements
I don't travel that much, so it not fitting the airline overhead size requirements has no bearing on my choice.
The DJI hardshell backpack is quite deep, top to bottom. So I'm not sure about that...
Others have traveled with the DJI pack, and could answer that question much better than I could.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski, I never took into account, that there is no specific size for overhead baggage. So it will depend on the airline and plane you fly in.
http://travel-made-simple.com/carry-on-size-chart/
Have a look in there and decide who has the larger sized overhead compartment for your drone case sized needs....

RedHotPoker
2016-11-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Red,

This is a great case! I've had mine for 3-4 months now. It stores pretty much everything. I did have to modify the compartment where my RC goes to accomandate my Windsurfer. It is too large for my motorcycles but I have a different case for them. I do love traveling with this case as it's extremely sturdy. I think you made a great choice!

Jerry
2016-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-11-3 05:00
Red,

This is a great case! I've had mine for 3-4 months now. It stores pretty much everything. I di ...

Aside from it being 12lbs empty, it is everything I desired.  So much extra space for the flight kit and any incidentals.
Marvelously sturdy, and looks good too... What more could we desire? Oh I don't know, perhaps a porter or Sherpa guide!! Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-3
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

12lbs empty? Well.. that's a sucker! Here's what I got - the negatives, big considering that it only stores 3 batteries, and u have to take off the props.. but it is a nice backpack... And yes, have a look at the photos wityh the review - my son is very proud of his active participation ;) 7.5 yrs old then ;)
https://www.amazon.com/review/R3CIVP6GSRWQG6/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

2016-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hey, that's awesome does he get them good looks from mom? Hahaha J/K
So he was only modeling Your bag? I was actually really hoping that he was the drone pilot too!!
Anyway, yeah, that's an awesome alternative for a hardshell backpack, or the soft sider one too.

Yes, the Nanuk 945 is a beast!! To get used to mine, I started doing pull ups and wrist curls with it. Ha
I haven't weighed it, full yet...

RedHotPoker
2016-11-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-11-3 05:00
Red,

This is a great case! I've had mine for 3-4 months now. It stores pretty much everything. I di ...

The closed cell foam is very firm, allowing for careful cutting. Atleast you could make your radio fit. I was surprised and happy to discover my iPad Air2 can be stored in the back compartment nearest the hinges. So no modification was necessary to make it fit the regular iPad Mini slot at the side.

RedHotPoker
2016-11-3
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-4 02:22
The closed cell foam is very firm, allowing for careful cutting. Atleast you could make your radio ...

Red,

Yes, I store my Nvidia Shield and my HP Stream in that compartment and my Galaxy Tab S2 in the pad slot. The only thing I don't like is that the P3Pro seems to sit a bit higher than I'd like. The props don't really sit in the prop slots. On one occasion, I wasn't paying enough attention and I shut the lid without lining up the props. I caught one of the props with the lid.

Jerry
2016-11-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-11-4 04:55
Red,

Yes, I store my Nvidia Shield and my HP Stream in that compartment and my Galaxy Tab S2 in t ...

The foam in the lid should keep your iPad safe and secure. I as well, stuck some pamphlets in there, to hold mine still.

For the prop slots, you could put drop of CA on each off the eight halves, to keep the lid from squeezing them back down.

All in all, a marvelous protective case, for the flight kit.  Everyone else also seems very happy and content with theirs...
I suppose no system is completely perfect, but these hard side cases come pretty close, to drone case perfection. Ha

RedHotPoker

2016-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules