What drone should I buy?
1931 13 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
6xeCV1q0MvoR
New
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Norway

Hello! First of all I just wanna say that I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this so excuse me if this post should be somewhere else.
I'm thinking about getting myself a drone but I'm not sure which one to buy. I have a few question about the drones that I would love if someone could help me answer.
I've been looking at the Phantom 4, the Mavic pro and the Inspire 1 v2. Since I'm new to drones I think I should go for something less proffesional than an Inspire so right now my choice stands between the Mavic and the P4. Some of the things I was wondering was what's the Mavic's benefits and what's the Phantom's benefits? Why is the Mavic so much cheaper than the Phantom if it's the same camera quality? The Mavic's portability is nice and all, but I don't find the P4 very huge anyways and I would probably almost always use a car so it wouldn't be a huge problem. I will mostly film and take pictures of landscapes and action sports like snowboarding and skateboarding. Which drone do you think would be the best one for me and why? Thanks for every answer I get.

Sincerely
Håkon.

2016-10-5
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Have you looked at the Vantage Robotics Snap? If you crash it you can just put it back together again.

And it's not so fussy about what phone you use...
2016-10-5
Use props
Håkon
New
Norway

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-5 21:36
Have you looked at the Vantage Robotics Snap? If you crash it you can just put it back together agai ...

Hmm, it looks interesting but my first thought was that it probably won't handle wind very well and the video quality looked a bit poor. I would like something a bit more proffesional, this looks more like a toy to me.
But thank you for the reply!
2016-10-5
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, if you are not bothered about recording 4k video, then the Phantom 3 Advanced offers the best bang for buck at the moment and would be an excellent way into the wonderful world of flying cameras.
See the DJI store HERE for details.
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Ok lots of questions,I'll give you my two pence worth P4 is a great aircraft it's relatively easy to fly, it takes great video and landscape photos, for a drone it has ample flying time for each battery it has most of what mavic has active track follow me etc etc,it's a great aircraft,although it's a small enough aircraft if you have to bring it anywhere on foot and you most likely will it can be a bit awkward because you have it in a box or a fairly big backpack plus batteries plus RC it can be quite heavy, it has a slightly better fov camera than Mavic,and that's all we seem to know about the differences between the cameras, how ever Mavic has everything on board that P4 has and a little more, but the beauty about it is you will be able to bring it with you almost anywhere especially if your traveling abroad which is huge for a lot of enthusiasts , a lot about Mavic will not be known until we see it in the hands of the first buyers and I'm sure it will have some glitches that will take time to work out but that's all part of owning one of these drones, I own a P4 and I love it ,I won't sell it although I have ordered a Mavic because I believe dji make great products and I don't think this will be any different.
Regarding price it's my guess that the Karma has had something to do with this, if this was the only portable drone in the market I think the price was going to be much higher, thank god for healthy competition.
2016-10-5
Use props
Håkon
New
Norway

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-10-5 22:16
Hi, if you are not bothered about recording 4k video, then the Phantom 3 Advanced offers the best ba ...

Thanks for the advice, but I think it would be nice to have the 4k feature. I'll probably go for the Dji Mavic pro or the Dji Phantom 4 but I'm not sure which one of them. I would really like to know what makes the Dji phantom 4 a better drone than the Mavic since it costs so much more.
2016-10-5
Use props
Håkon
New
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-5 22:33
Ok lots of questions,I'll give you my two pence worth P4 is a great aircraft it's relatively easy to ...

Okay, thanks for your comment! This answered a lot of the questions I had. Maybe I should wait until "normal" people get their hands on the Mavic so they can tell their opinion on it. I would like to hear what you think about the drone after you've got it! Since you already got a p4 it would be nice to hear your opinion on which drone you like the most.
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Håkon Posted at 2016-10-5 21:40
Okay, thanks for your comment! This answered a lot of the questions I had.  Maybe I should wait  ...

No problem I will post the good bad and the ugly.
2016-10-5
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Hey Hakon the Mavic will be my first drone, I was considering the P4, but I chose the Mavic instead.  Now the reasons I chose the Mavic over the P4 were these:  Mavic is cheaper and has similar options that the P4 does.  Flight time is also better.  The Mavic is smaller, which I prefer.  Now the reason I prefer the smaller form factor is because it is lighter, easier to carry and not bulky and some of the carrying cases for this require a backpack.  I've seen the videos of them comparing the P4 controller to the size of the Mavic, so I went to a store, and damn this thing is going to be small.  Now just to compare on why size is preferential to me is that I purchased an HO scale train, and honestly after seeing the N scale, I wish I had chosen the N instead for space reasons.

There are a few features better then the P4, like RTH.  With the P4 you have to set your home base, the Mavic you don't.  Plus the batteries for the Mavic are almost half the price of P4 batteries.  The Mavic is also going to be quieter, I've heard the P4 and it is noisy like a swarm of mosquitos.  These are just a few reasons, space is a big factor, camera clarity are near the same.  Hope this helps.
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-5 22:26
Hey Hakon the Mavic will be my first drone, I was considering the P4, but I chose the Mavic instead. ...

Flight time for P4 is longer than Mavic
2016-10-5
Use props
Håkon
New
Norway

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-5 23:26
Hey Hakon the Mavic will be my first drone, I was considering the P4, but I chose the Mavic instead. ...

Hey Lepus thanks for your answer! That's some good advantages, maybe I'll also go for the Mavic aswell. Still haven't decided yet though, it's a hard choice and I don't wanna spend so much money on something I won't be happy with :p
2016-10-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I work hard and I buy each and every drone DJI makes.
2016-10-5
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Håkon Posted at 2016-10-6 06:01
Hey Lepus thanks for your answer!  That's some good advantages, maybe I'll also go for the Mavic ...

It's all up to you.  I was looking at the P3 and P4, and didn't like the features that the P3 had, so why not save extra for the P4, then the price dropped for the P4 so I figured they were trying to get rid of stock.  If they are trying to get rid of stock, something new is coming.  Then the Mavic was released, closer to the price I wanted with the same features and smaller.
2016-10-5
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

It can come down to a simple decision. If ease of transport is a priority then the choice is simple, Mavic.
Otherwise I believe the P4 will become a very good deal, almost new are selling on ebay for a great price.

Personally I like the visibility of the P4 in flight as compared to the Mavic (although the coloring of the Mavic might be an advantage for some)
The P4 is proven and available now, Mavic not yet.

Whatever your choice - enjoy.
2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules