4855 12 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Repsolkid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7418 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I have not long been flying drones, and my own limited experience is with a Parrot AR drone 2
My question is probably laughable, but just wondering

When controlling the Mavic, is the direction always in relation to the drone camera or the controller? I ask this as the AR drone could do both, and flying "absolute" (as me as the absolute point, so left was always left, forwards was forwards etc) was so much easier.

Sorry for obvious question

Cheers

Rep.
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yeah camera is front of drone right hand stick up forward down backward right go right left go left then you have left hand stick forward is up back is down then you have yaw and roll,I'll stop here and tell you go read the manual and when you finish read it again it has diagrams .
2016-10-5
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-5 21:08
Yeah camera is front of drone right hand stick up forward down backward right go right left go left  ...

Hi thanks for the reply.
Sorry to ask more from peeps here, but does that mean forward and backward is only forward and backward in relation to the camera, and not the controller?
Which means if the camera is pointing at 90 degrees from you, then the forward and backward becomes left and right or am I misunderstanding?
Sorry to ask but just watched phantom 2 video and it shows the drone movement is relative to the controller not camera

Thanks again for any help here
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-5 21:24
Hi thanks for the reply.
Sorry to ask more from peeps here, but does that mean forward and backwar ...

Once the camera is facing forward right stick up will make drone go forward and and right stick down will make it go backwards so yes your there.
2016-10-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-5 21:24
Hi thanks for the reply.

In the dji go app you can download Mavic pro quick start guide on page 9 it will show you with diagrams exactly what your looking for, just go open app go to equipment on that page up in the right han corner you will see a icon like a hat click on that and select mavic pro you will see all the tutorials.
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-6 04:24
Hi thanks for the reply.

The camera does not pan, but tilts up and down if that's what you mean.
So the camera only points forward and not to the side. (but tilts up/down)
The feature you may be describing on the Parrot may be course lock on DJI aircraft.

2016-10-5
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-5 22:12
The camera does not pan, but tilts up and down if that's what you mean.
So the camera only points  ...

No, I don't think I explained myself very well tbh.
I'll try again

Ok here goes. And before I do I'm making this sound more complex a question than it is I think.
When you fly an rc plane, and from what I saw on the phantom 3 video I watched,  the controller is the same no matter the orientation of the drone. Forward is forward away from me, and backward it would fly back to me and didn't do it relative to which way the drone was facing.

My example to explain this, was if the drone was facing to the right, so the camera is pointing right, then if I pressed back the drone wouldn't come back towards me, it would move backwards relative to the camera direction, which to me would be left. This is what I was hoping was not the case.
I wanted forward is away, backward is back to me, left is always left, right is always my right, no matter the direction of the drone.

This is what the AR drone did, and it made flying it easy, as you didn't have to keep looking at the drone to see which way it was facing before moving.
2016-10-5
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-5 22:40
I'll try again

I've just thought of a better way to ask the same question.

On the Mavic, if the camera is pointing at me, are the forwards and backwards joystick movements reversed?
So if I push down on the right stick instead of coming towards me it moves away?
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-6 05:48
I've just thought of a better way to ask the same question.

On the Mavic, if the camera is pointi ...

Yes I understand and that's what course lock is.
When you go into the intelligent flight modes, one of them is course lock. It records your last direction of forward travel. Then no matter which direction the aircraft is facing, if you push the stick forward it will forward based on the last forward direction of travel. And pull back and it will go the opposite direction of your last forward travel.
Sorry if I can't explain it well.
Go to YouTube and search DJI course lock and you will see lots of videos. Watch one of those and I think that's what you are talking about.
2016-10-5
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-5 22:52
Yes I understand and that's what course lock is.
When you go into the intelligent flight modes, on ...

DJI-Ken
Thats fantastic and exactly what I was talking about. Is it available on the Mavic?

Thanks again
2016-10-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-6 06:20
DJI-Ken
Thats fantastic and exactly what I was talking about. Is it available on the Mavic?

Yes it is And here's a DJI video I found if anyone else was wondering.

2016-10-5
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-5 15:40
I'll try again

YES you are Right when camera is facing away from you left is left and right is right, when flying with the camera pointed toward you it is also called nose in then would be the complete opposite.
2016-10-5
Use props
vpTutYoGqUQ7
lvl.1

Canada

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-10-5 15:40
I'll try again

This is called 'headless mode' on cheaper drones...which rc plane did you fly with this feature?
2016-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules