what is the mavic made out of and other questions
9625 18 2016-10-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OZRK0eGZCuZO
New

United States

basically, do you guys mind describing what this thing is made out of. are the arms metal? is the body plastic? haven't found any videos that really talk about the fit and finish of the mavic pro.

also.

how delicate is the gimble? will it get busted from a hard landing? what can damage this part of the drone? what are some examples?

also... the dji care says no water damage is covered.... this also concerns me as I am looking for a drone to capture footage while snowboarding this winter... should it run into a tree or something because of a battery fail or some odd circumstance and have slight damage from snow I would be very unhappy if the extended service contract was voided because it is used for its intended purpose. not like I crashed it into a lake or flew it in the rain... know what I mean?

seriously you guys made a product that speaks to the extreme sports arena that an everyday consumer can afford. can you possibly make this investment a little easier to swallow and understand? why make a compact awesome product if could break from using it. I have a feeling that if you guys really back this thing up and take care of folks that make the media that sells your product you will find much more success than previous products you have sold.....

help me pull the trigger and buy this thing.
2016-10-5
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

the product felt super solid to me the first impression was it might look like it's nothing compared to the phantom, then when you put your hands on it, it feels  so well built, like a mini beast. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLMbETGhOmQ/?taken-by=toko_taka took some photos of it will upload more. I wish i had more sutff to ask the rep since he was ultra knowledgeable and also mention he told casey about the touch feature before flying..so on and so forth, really nice guy.
2016-10-5
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Were you able to remove the camera cover ? The plastic bubble?

If so, was it easy to add/remove? Did it feel like it could fall off in sport mode?  Was it jiggly whilst on the drone? :-)
2016-10-6
Use props
jmoya03-sp
lvl.2

United States

marctronixx Posted at 2016-10-6 10:58

If so, was it easy to add/remove? D ...

YOU DON'T FLY WITH THE BUBBLE. ITS ONLY ON THERE FOR TRANSPORT PROTECTION OF THE LENS AND GIMBLE.
2016-10-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-10-6 07:07
the product felt super solid to me the first impression was it might look like it's nothing compared ...

Maybe you could answer OZRKO,s question what is it made of.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The arms are nylon and fiberglass, I'm guessing the body is somewhat similar.
I can tell you that it's feels so well built that you would think it came out of the Boeing plant. I't heavy, solid and probably extremely durable. BUT, the camera/gimbal is very tiny and looks pretty fragile. If you want to race it around weaving in and out of trees I would keep the gimbal cover on. If you are in an open area and wanting to take incredible videos/photos I'd leave the gimbal cover off.

As far as DJI care Refresh, it's all listed here. http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4
For $99 and $79 for the first replacement and $129 for the 2nd replacement aircraft I don't know why anyone wouldn't purchase the Care Refresh.

The I in DJI stands for innovation, for the money there is no company or drone out there that can match the incredible technology DJI has had in previous aircraft and also in this new Mavic. Just wait until you get to hold one in your hands, it's a work of art and the most impressive DJI product I've seen so far (up to now, but DJI will continue to amaze you).

No go pre-order
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Travelling Dron Posted at 2016-10-6 14:07
the product felt super solid to me the first impression was it might look like it's nothing compared ...

Exactly, when I first held one I was totally amazed. When the P4 came out I was amazed too just how much more solid it felt than a P3. But geez, this little Mavic is truly a work of art and feels like it should cost several thousand dollars.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

marctronixx Posted at 2016-10-6 23:58

If so, was it easy to add/remove? D ...

The cover is very easily removed.
2016-10-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jmoya03-sp Posted at 2016-10-7 01:40
YOU DON'T FLY WITH THE BUBBLE. ITS ONLY ON THERE FOR TRANSPORT PROTECTION OF THE LENS AND GIMBLE.

Yes, you certainly fly with the cover on, if it was meant not to be it would have been a solid color likr red or something.
If you want to flying around the forest pretending your a fighter pilot, I'd leave the cover on.
2016-10-6
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

If your snowboarding and afraid it'll get wet from the snow if you flew into a tree. It shouldn't happen. The Mavic has obstacle avoidance and will stop before that happens. I think as long as it's flying 22 mph or less.
2016-10-6
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

jmoya03-sp Posted at 2016-10-6 13:40

its been reported you CAN fly with it on. thank you for attempting to help though...
2016-10-6
Use props
JudgeRoyBean
lvl.2

The way some people talk about the Mavic you would swear it is made from  "unobtainium"
2016-10-7
Use props
thefurmanuk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15994 ft
United Kingdom

I saw a video where the user grabbed the Mavic instead of landing it on the ground and said it was very hot as the heatsink is on the bottom.  In the 3 months I have had my P3 I have had to grab it twice due to unsafe landing, wondering if I would risk it with the Mavic.  
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

marctronixx Posted at 2016-10-7 06:42
its been reported you CAN fly with it on. thank you for attempting to help though...

That's correct, and with it on you'll still have a great view, just not like without it.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

JudgeRoyBean Posted at 2016-10-7 21:28
The way some people talk about the Mavic you would swear it is made from  "unobtainium"

Wait until you get to hold one in your hands, to me it feels like it was built by Boeing. It just oozes quality. You will truly be impressed.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

thefurmanuk Posted at 2016-10-7 21:38
I saw a video where the user grabbed the Mavic instead of landing it on the ground and said it was v ...

The heatsink does get rather hot when powered up for a few minutes and not flying. Don't know going from a flight to hand catch how warm it would be.
2016-10-7
Use props
FenrirApalis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3196772 ft
Hong Kong

I catch it in my hand all the time and heat is not a problem
2017-10-11
Use props
bighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Spain

The mavic is far more solidly built than a phantom. I've owned every phantom since phantom 1, many units of each, and after usually less than 120 long range flights, they all developed stress cracks. But not the mavic. I've got over 300 flights averaging at least 8 km flown per flight and still no stress cracks. The mavic, I can safely say, is far better built than a phantom.
2017-10-11
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-7 13:00
That's correct, and with it on you'll still have a great view, just not like without it.

I've flown with the dome on (remember to remove camera holder before setting the dome back on!) several times in the beginning. You get good video as long as the light source is behind Mavic. With the light coming from the sides, you'll start seeing reflection of the camera inside the dome.
As mentioned, there may be several use-cases, when you'd want to keep the dome on during a flight.
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules