Potential fix for lost transmission
1811 16 2016-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oysterbarron
New

United Kingdom

Me and a colleague came across this potential fix for those of you having transmission issues! Many hours was spent downgrading re upgrading only for the problem to return or happen again. After almost giving up and throwing it in the bin i came to the conclusion that the pins and contacts are only mm's apart so i looked closer at the white lineing up lines printed on the camera swivel lock and the white line that is hard fixed to the bottom of the drone and noticed there's a slight variation to where the both line up! So instead of lining the cameras line up with the one on the sweivel part i decided to line it up with the one hard fixed to the drone and boom my transmission issues had gone. I think possibly the swievel part becomes slightly worn and out of line after many camera attaches so try the hard fixed line and hopefully this will sort yours out to.
2016-10-6
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

When you lock the camera into the Gimbal it can only fit in one direction and there is very little if any variance here.  I dont  quite understand what you mean.  Can you add Pictures?   Another fix along the same lines is to Loosen the screws slightly   ( 2 )  that hold the Circuit board down that connects to the Flex pins on the Gimbal itself, this helps to align them a bit better as well.  ( If having a problem )

I personally feel that when the camera is taken on and off every time you fly it is a bad idea, I leave mine connected 99.7  % of the time to prevent these type of issues. I suggest others do the same If they can .  

I think you may have a good idea but I need some visuals to help me understand what you mean, If it solved your issues  then you must be on to something.

Just help me understand better .

****What were you issues ? did you have Pixelation or frozen transmission ?  

***Also if you notice there are two pins On the Gimbal Receiver and two Holes on the camera circuit  board, these Must line up perfectly for the Locking mechanism to engage so the idea pesented in the past has been to loosen the two  screws to allow for a bit of tolerance ( vertical and latereal )   I can see where your idea would work IF the Lines were signigicantly out of wack.  Did you ever have any problem Locking the Mechanism in place ?  Once again I think you are On to something , just want to make sure I understand.

donnie

2 screws on the right holding down circuit board

2 screws on the right  holding down circuit board
2016-10-6
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

There's nothing wrong with taking the camera on and off the mount, as long as you do it gently and with care.
I do this every time I fly and the contacts are in perfect shape after 19 months.

Be clear folks, these image transmission, latency and range issues that people are dealing with are due to firmware / app faults and will only be fixed with a response from our friends at DJI.
2016-10-6
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2016-10-6 08:29
There's nothing wrong with taking the camera on and off the mount, as long as you do it gently and w ...

Farnk666  I  dont have any trouble with Mine.  I have zero latency and drop outs.  That tells me that there are some who may have issues that CAN be fixed. ( fine tuned )  The original poster even stated that this fixed their issue.

I  dont know if there is a fix on the horizon coming from DJI or not .  I do agree that one must be very gentle taking the Camera on and off.  I for one choose not to .

I guess to be CLEAR I  do not personally have 1.8 loaded on my aircraft, and I have 1.6 on my RC .  Just as I rolled back 3.0 Go App from my I pad  back to 2.9.1-   1.9 did seems to cause some drop ( pretty rare though )  outs for me  so I rolled back .  I think I am Going to stay put for a while here also .  

I just think that things  can be done to Optimize  the system , and I have mine tuned perfectly now.

cheers

donnie

2016-10-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

You are correct on this. I will be posting a video demonstrating graphically that one cause of the no transmission problem is contact. Wait a couple of hours.
2016-10-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay this is a great discussion by many notable contributors.

First, Donnie you are correct that problems can occur with the camera mounting process. farnk66 is also correct that the camera is designed to be removed with care and should not be a problem But this is not the culprit for many others out in the wild after the FW updates / Go App updates. DJI should be releasing a new FW to correct the other video downlink issues at large.
MTC I think you can share with us your experience that happened with your Inspire 1 at the shop. For me, I have found that something is wrong with the way the video HD is working in Auto mode and the Go App is processing this signal over the iPad (CPU) causing it to take more processing power than it used to.

I hope we get this solved very soon so that many of us do not have to work around the problem and get back to business in hand

Rich
2016-10-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-10-7 09:49
Okay this is a great discussion by many notable contributors.

First, Donnie you are correct that pr ...

Rich,

I don't think that this matter is related to processing power if you are on A9 processors on Apple and any of the newer Android phones.

It is possible that DJI have adjusted the threshold for 'minimal acceptable data reception' to fail earlier when there is dodgy signal so that flyways are reduced. They could also have varied packet length, insist on a video checksum and a slew of other transmission fidelity/security measures that we will never know of. The latter could be in anticipation of more DJI aircraft in the air and possible interference as a result.

Any or all of these, interacting with any physical connection issue like those raised here and in my latest post and video http://forum.dji.com/thread-65717-1-1.html will trigger the problem we have been complaining about.

I'll bet that a vast majority of persons having this problem are X5/ 5R pilots and the reason is that the mass of the camera increases the risk of disconnects.

DJI is on vacation till next week and even then, their engineers will be swamped with bugshooting for the Mavic so I don't expect any reply soon.
2016-10-6
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

I've had image transmission problems multiple times since I've had the I1P. Each time, I've done a bit of cleaning of the contacts using an eraser and a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol and poof. No more problem. I'm fairly sure that if I made it a once a monthly procedure, I'd never have any issues at all. Just sayin' guys.
2016-10-6
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-10-7 01:26
I've had image transmission problems multiple times since I've had the I1P. Each time, I've done a b ...

FT, your comment  about your cleaning procedure makes perfect sense.

Cheers Buddy .  Sad to here about the Passing of Rod
Temperton, His songs put Boogie in you soul !!
Cheers FT

donnie
2016-10-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-10-6 23:26
I've had image transmission problems multiple times since I've had the I1P. Each time, I've done a b ...

FT

I see you are doing all the right things. Sounds like old school contact cleaning ...  
DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer, and Lubricant
FYI  I have used this product for years on all my electronics.  You would be surprised how this will make a difference and long lasting.
DeOxit link

Another one that I use is more expensive!   The product works very well especially for low voltage/poor connection issues. It promotes proper contact and good transmission of voltages and signals.

Stabilant 22 link is an electrically active material which stays resident within a contact-pair

Rich
2016-10-7
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-10-7 10:39
FT

I see you are doing all the right things. Sounds like old school contact cleaning  ...  

At $54 it better work cuz I'm going to order it.
2016-10-7
Use props
dperry4x4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221640 ft
United States

I've tried cleaning, and it did not thing. I really cannot figure out how to fix this issue, and I have a client flight this weekend.
2016-10-7
Use props
dperry4x4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221640 ft
United States

Also something to note: you can see the light meter and histogram working, so the controller/app are getting that information, but the video signal isn't going through. Makes no sense.
2016-10-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-10-7 14:14
At $54 it better work cuz I'm going to order it.

FT
Stabilant is diluted with 50% alcohol and this package will last you a lifetime. The only tip and give you is please use it sparingly on the contact surfaces.  I sincerely hope you like it and make sure you give us some feedback too.

For others that are reading this information the DeOxit works also and is much cheaper to try out.  Both of these products are useful on the USB port connection and other electrical contact points.

Rich
2016-10-7
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

dperry4x4@gmail Posted at 2016-10-7 17:55
Also something to note: you can see the light meter and histogram working, so the controller/app are ...

I sent you a response on your thread, the video  is carried on a different signal than the Metering, Histogram  etc.

donnie
2016-10-8
Use props
Juanlife
lvl.1

Colombia

+1 here, in my case the only thing change between "all works fine" to "no image etc ALL THE TIME" was the app version, So I did the upgrade with a bad long beeeeeeeeeeeeep at the end, after that, i can't downgrade/upgrade anymore because all tryings ends with that bad beep, hide logs shows 8 & 15 "not detected", now i cant test with another cam, I dont know what to do...
2016-10-15
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

Juanlife Posted at 2016-10-15 16:34
+1 here, in my case the only thing change between "all works fine" to "no image etc ALL THE TIME" wa ...

If you have the "Device not detected " On 0800 and 1500 You must send it in.The camera at least  must go in .

donnie
2016-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules