9084 13 2015-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3127684 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Has anyone used RealFlight 7.5 with Phantom 2+ v3 controller?

Following the advice from an RC store, I picked up a copy of Real Flight 7.5 ("Transmitter Interface Edition") to use with my Phantom 2+ ver. 3.0 transmitter. I was told at the store that the 'Trainer' plug on the back of the controller would connect to the RealFlight cable and thus I could use the Phantom controller with the software.
After application installation I got the message "Please connect RealFlight controller now". It was connected via USB -> Phantom phone plug in the 'trainer' plug on the back of the controller. It would not be recognized no matter what steps I took: turning controller on before then connecting, after then connecting, waiting to turn on, turning on right away etc.

These are the only two substantive links I've found on the subject:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31383
-Not helpful - is the Phantom controller output a PPM signal?

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... trainer&lang=en   
-(note from larry.email 2/3rds of the way down has same prob)

I haven't tried the alternative solution on this thread (2nd post down)...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4441
-Not for RealFlight, but can anyone confirm this (much cheaper!) option works?

So, back to the question at hand: Has anyone used RealFlight 7.5 with Phantom 2+ v3 controller?

Why is there a 'trainer' function that doesn't work?

-A

2015-2-1
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Well alan, I've been wondering that same question from the day they came out with the upgraded remote control!  

The only "official" response I've heard from DJI is that it's for connecting with the Lightbridge system.  Oh, so that's why they gave it a completely logical name of "trainer"... (which I suppose makes sense in some convoluted Chinese arithmetic kinda way.)
2015-2-2
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

If you could connect the controller to Realflight 7.5 the only Phantom is called Quadcopter X and it can only be controlled in full manual mode without any of the Phantom 2 features. Maybe the next version will have a more full functioned Phantom.
2015-2-2
Use props
Madom Concorde
lvl.2

United States

I purchased AeroSIM RC when you order they have an option for a USB cable for DJI transmitters to use with the flight sim.  It should arrive this week, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it installed.
2015-2-2
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

If you can fly the Phantom on Realflight you should have no trouble with the real one. The one on Realflight will do a flip
2015-2-2
Use props
TheEntitty
New

Canada

I purchased RealFlight 7.5 based on recommendations from RF support team that it would work with the DJI Phantom 2+ V3. I've had over 10 emails back and forth, as well as exchange of cables. (interfaces) Now they want to send me a controller. They missed the point of using the DJI controller. Beware! Now I'm stuck with a piece of software that doesn't work.
2015-2-5
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

My friend showed me RealFlight. It is really aimed at RC pilots who like to fly stunts. The only quadcopter they had in the simulator was one without GPS which I am guessing flies like a Phantom would in manual mode which almost no one uses. RealFlight is a fun piece of software but not much use for Phantom pilots who stay in GPS mode. May I suggest buying a $60 drone from Amazon instead? You will have a lot more fun with a throw away drone you can crash a lot and you will also learn a lot more. I lost my first $60 drone and even though I now have a P2V+ I am thinking of buying another throw away drone just for the pure fun of it.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

I do not have RealFlight, but I do use my Phantom transmitter for PhoenixRC Simulator.

The USB cable adapter provided by Phoenix has an 1/8" mini stereo plug that connects to the back of the transmitter in the 1/8" plug receptacle.  For other transmitters I have to use a stereo-to-mono plug adapter, but not for the Phantom Tx.

I had to set up a new transmitter within Phoenix, reverse, and swap around some of the controls via the software setup.  You do have to turn on the Phantom Tx, which you do not for my Spektrum transmitters.  They automatically power up into simulator mode, no radio transmission, when plugged in.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

When you plug the RealFlight adapter cable into your transmitter, does the transmitter's green power light begin flashing?  It should.
2015-2-6
Use props
TheEntitty
New

Canada

The RealFlight Usb/interface is detected by the Windows 8.1 system as a game controller, but the DJI controller does not flash. Within device manager, you can double click on the game controller, and try to adjust settings, but nothing works on the controller.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

TheEntitty Posted at 2015-2-7 07:57
The RealFlight Usb/interface is detected by the Windows 8.1 system as a game controller, but the DJI ...

I did not have to mess with any Windows settings.  Just the settings within Phoenix.  As I'm not using RealFlight, I can't help with that.

But I did want to acknowledge that the Phantom controller does in fact have a trainer port for connecting to a flight simulator program, and that it does work for me.
2015-2-6
Use props
TheEntitty
New

Canada

I think your interface is the point. Real flights won't work with DJI.  I'd like to try a phoenix Interface on the Real Flight software, it may work.
Even if it did. most items are RC planes anyway
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

TheEntitty Posted at 2015-2-7 08:12
I think your interface is the point. Real flights won't work with DJI.  I'd like to try a phoenix In ...

Phoenix does have mostly planes, and that's what I got it for 5 years ago.  But it also has a ton of helicopters, and some quads, including the Phantom.

The Phoenix Phantom flies in pretty much manual mode, but does hover at mid-throttle detent.  It does loops, rolls and flips nicely.  One really cool move is repeated forward flips using full throttle coming off the bottom.  It just kind of cascades down like a waterfall.

I've been flying some manual mode with my Vision +, but it's tempting to take the high dollar Vision + gimbal off and let the naked Phantom air out.  Or buy a used basic Phantom to play with.

Good luck getting it working.
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules