Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CaseyN Lost His Mavic Pro
12Next >
5039 68 2016-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kennylee88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9498 ft
United States

Check it out

2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I'm betting it was 100% user error.
RTH not set correctly or something like that.If I had his email, I could review his flight record
2016-10-7
Use props
marctronixx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

he was paid by gopro to lose it (im teasin' of course... )
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

marctronixx Posted at 2016-10-8 05:18
he was paid by gopro to lose it (im teasin' of course...  )

He was starting to say he flew behind a building.
2016-10-7
Use props
Crate
lvl.1

United States

For all the free s*it he gets, he doesn't really care.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Crate Posted at 2016-10-8 05:51

You see the videos of his studio, plenty of crashed P4's and tons of other broken stuff.
2016-10-7
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

It could of been on the sailboat. Someone might of found it and took it with them to their boat. If it was in the river, he wouldn't be getting a GPS signal.
2016-10-7
Use props
Jorge D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 225827 ft
Spain

Crate Posted at 2016-10-7 23:51

Yes he don't treated so well the P4's but he seems worried about the Mavic, the reaction was so real...
Since the launch, in all the following chapters he showed nice but risky drone footage, like flying between high buildings in Texas ( where I think the drones are very restricted) or risky tracking scenes at high altitude on his way to the LAX airport...
2016-10-7
Use props
mrapplegate
lvl.1

United States

The Mavic will be my first drone, so I am watching all the videos of the Mavic as well as DJI's tutorial videos. Even I saw how reckless he was. Pretty sad.
2016-10-7
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.1

PR Stunt to get more hits, next episode will be big surprise when he gets it back.
2016-10-7
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I was just coming here to post this.  LOL    Figures.   One thing our society hasn't learned, and this goes for government policies too:   if you don't earn something you don't appreciate or take care of it.   
2016-10-7
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

I only discovered Casey from a search for an informative video about the new DJI Mavic Pro.  His style of reportage is engaging and he must spend hours editing his vlogs. I'm sure we would all love to have a Mavic gifted to us but we would have to achieve the media coverage that Casey has earned to be considered as a potential pre launch candidate. Despite his somewhat earnest approach, I can't believe DJI regret having Casey as a "Beta tester" for their product. It worked for me as I made an order shortly after his first vlog about the Mavic pro. So he screwed up with the focus setting  and now he's lost the Mavic, but he's still a great ambassador for the product and on balance he must have contributed considerably to pre launch sales. I admit he can be somewhat cavalier in his actions and demeanour, bordering on irresponsible, but that is part of the attraction of the success he seems to enjoy. Msduncanrolltid is so right in that for some people the value of something is diminished if you haven't had to pay for it, but the trade off is an amusing and engaging and informative view expressed in Casey's "work". Some job huh? But secretly who wouldn't want to be in that position.
2016-10-7
Use props
PY4CK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Come on DJI --- Give Casey another drone !
2016-10-7
Use props
baychilla
lvl.1

United States

I wonder what the chances are that he has his FAA ID on the drone (as legally required); and as his videos are monetized I'm sure he has his 107 cert.  Be a real pity if the drone was found, turned over to the FAA and they wanted to use him as a poster child for what not to do.
2016-10-7
Use props
Mayoo
First Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Will the warranty cover for non user error  fly away ?
2016-10-7
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-7
Use props
Jorge D
lvl.3
Spain

It's the time of SUPER DJI KEN to help him to find out what happened this time ...
2016-10-7
Use props
Jorge D
lvl.3
Spain

baychilla Posted at 2016-10-8 02:01
I wonder what the chances are that he has his FAA ID on the drone (as legally required); and as his  ...

He rides an electric skateboard across the streets of NYC...and  I never saw any problem with the strict NYPD...
2016-10-7
Use props
HFI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

skyrider420@out Posted at 2016-10-8 08:21
I want a free MAVIC too............. Then if I loose it I will call DJI and ask for an other one fo ...

+1                    
I know I was just staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel, then flew first class to NY and then took a helicopter from JFK to NYC but please DJI I really want another Mavic, please

2016-10-7
Use props
edbighi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

He never struck me as a meticulously careful type
2016-10-7
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
United States

HFI Posted at 2016-10-7 19:40
+1                    
I know I was just staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel, then flew first class  ...

This is the post of the day.   LOL
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

msduncanrolltid Posted at 2016-10-8 09:36
This is the post of the day.   LOL

I know, funny huh !
2016-10-7
Use props
Spontman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81873 ft

Now he needs to wait and buy one like all us plebs
2016-10-7
Use props
KLRico
lvl.1
Flight distance : 428448 ft
United States

I also found his videos looking for anything/everything I could find about the Mavic, and it was pretty easy to see why dji gave him one; he's really good at hyping it up and getting people super excited about it. There couldn't possibly be any other way to get a couple million views (plus the enthusiasm) for $1000.

You can be pretty sure he's going to either A)get it back, or B)get a new one.
2016-10-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

KLRico Posted at 2016-10-8 12:06
I also found his videos looking for anything/everything I could find about the Mavic, and it was pre ...

The Mavic sells itself, people who follow Casey may purchase because he says the Mavic is his all time favorite drone.
But, the Mavic is truly the highest quality and most technological advanced drone out there for the price and size and it really does sell itself.
He may or may not get another one, or he'll have to order and wait for one.
2016-10-7
Use props
thefurmanuk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15994 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-8 07:18
The Mavic sells itself, people who follow Casey may purchase because he says the Mavic is his all  ...

There is no way DJI will not "find" his drone.  Next vlog or two he will have a replacement.
Thanks to users like him we are going to be restricted even more in the UK
2016-10-8
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Even if the guy is careless and sloppy, shouldn't the Mavic automatically record it's homepoint and RTH?

This isn't a Phantom Standard, this thing is supposed to have terrain-following and obstacle avoidance, with an intelligent flight battery.

1. It's just a publicity stunt and not really lost at all
2. It malfunctioned and failed to RTH
3. It malfunctioned and failed to record a home point, hence #2
4. It performed as designed but a design fault caused it to be lost, ie creating #2 or #3
5. RTH altitude was set too low for the conditions and it hit something on the way back
6. Bird strike/massive interference or some other bizarre external factor - which is unlikely

I've sold my P3S to get a Mavic (once I'm sure it will work with my phone) but this is disturbing. There's only a handful of these things out there, and one of them has already failed to RTH?

We have "beginner mode" where it cannot exceed 30 meters, and we have limits such as "Max distance" and "Max height" but can I make a serious suggestion for an app update? Can we have a "Cannot take off without solid GPS lock and recording a good homepoint, which is located within 5 meters of the controller" mode, set as default?

I hear things like "User error" but as RTH and the homepoint are so important, shouldn't you get a warning telling you the homepoint is far from where you are, or that there isn't one, before allowing take-off? So you'd have to consciously decide to over-ride that to take off, rather than finding out too late that the homepoint is wrong, which nearly happened to me the other day?

2016-10-8
Use props
keiser08
Captain
Flight distance : 446355 ft
  • >>>
United States

YOU KNOW WHAT IS FUNNY?

This guy who doesn't even take care of his drone will get a new mavic drone for free no question asked. While the people here, like me who is having problem with my 14 day old, 2-3 times used battery cant even get a brand new battery replacement, they instead gave me a used damaged with bent plastic which may have came from a crash. It may even came from casey's crashed drone, LOL. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... =1&extra=#pid511840
2016-10-8
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I have to say that CaseyN does not strike me as the meticulous kinda guy.  He almost seems to make a point of NOT reading instructions in many of his videos.  (Hence the Mavic video showing blurry shots because the FAILED to focus it.  Idiot move.)   I doubt he waited for the GPS to store a home position before taking off.  And this was a pre-production unit with beta firmware/software.  So who knows?
2016-10-8
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

He lost this one too....

2016-10-8
Use props
rivest266
lvl.1
Flight distance : 131604 ft
Canada

Casey and small flying machines do not get well. Most other bloggers do not have such bad luck!.
2016-10-8
Use props
msduncanrolltid
Second Officer
United States

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-10-8 03:27
Even if the guy is careless and sloppy, shouldn't the Mavic automatically record it's homepoint and  ...

I'm with Ken on this one.   If you watch his video carefully he almost says he flew it behind (something) before he corrects himself.   I think he flew it behind a building, it lost contact and went into RTH, and then it flew into something and went into the drink.

Nothing to worry about if you are careful.
2016-10-8
Use props
JudgeRoyBean
lvl.1

Sorry Casey you will have to get in line with the rest of us slobs.....

btw, who jumps out the window of hotel rooms and then walks through bushes to go for a walk?  In my hood people who do that usually get shot....

Just saying....
2016-10-8
Use props
Jake X380 & P3S
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

If he did fly it behind a building and lost contact. I hope he checked the building. Could it be that it flew towards the building, stopped because of obstacle avoidance. Just hovered there waiting for a command that never came. Battery ran low, and it landed gently near the building. This I think could happen if he never adjusted the height for return home and it doesn't rise higher than the building.
2016-10-8
Use props
watuse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-8 14:18
The Mavic sells itself, people who follow Casey may purchase because he says the Mavic is his all  ...

I will make him wait now that he has review it and talk about I make him wait if he was so good why GoPro did give him one and remember he ask the GoPro rep when am I getting one like he is not going to pay for it I am sorry this guy is making thousand of dollars in YouTube I won't give him a free pass especially if he lost it there are others who make great content better than Casey
2016-10-8
Use props
watuse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

I have a question how many hours of use will the motors on the mavic and phantom 4 last before you have to send it for maintenance repairs
2016-10-8
Use props
cjmc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

His 3 videos for the Mavic have around 10 milliom views. I'm pretty sure DJI would be happy with that. He was the first video I watched on the Mavic and he sold me on it
2016-10-9
Use props
vg5157
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24623 ft

marctronixx Posted at 2016-10-8 05:18
he was paid by gopro to lose it (im teasin' of course...  )

Agree ,is part of the show with him,he make last Sept $120,000  he do anything for money, I like the guy but he is a joke
2016-10-9
Use props
kanit53
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2745810 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-8 04:20
He was starting to say he flew behind a building.

But if even if he flew behind a building and RTH was triggered, Mavic should be able to navigate home safely, no?

I mean Mavic has obstacle avoidance and advanced sensors.
2016-10-9
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Exactly, aside from being a smidge smaller the key selling point is all the advanced sensors and situational awareness stuff.

I've seen a vid of a P4 that managed to get home despite a Litchi waypoint mission with too low an altitude. It was able to go around or over obstructions. The Mavic is meant to be even better, so the usual issues shouldn't be such an issue.

As I said before, if taking off without a homepoint set at the current location is such a possible/likely/probably scenario, can we have it set to default that it won't take off in that situation unless you manually over-ride it and consciously decide to fly without a homepoint, rather than relying on the human to notice the lack of one while squinting in the sun and being distracted by other people etc?

It would also be very simple to record in the flight log if the user did or didn't over-ride, so we could squash all the "Ah, you probably didn't set ya homepoint" speculation every time there's a lost drone.

It would be trivial to program and if it prevented 50% of flyaways that would be awesome, no?

2016-10-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules