Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Are image timestamps GPS time?
2470 6 2016-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steve.dawson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2760564 ft
New Zealand

Hi folks, this seems like such a simple question, but maybe it's not.
I need to know the precise time at which pictures are taken. The image metadata gives time to the second. Obviously there's a clock somewhere. Is that clock synced to the GPS on the Inspire, in the controller, or on the tablet running DJI "Go"? What happens when you fly inside, when there's no GPS signal?

Thanks,

steve

2016-10-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hello Steve, it's synced with the mobile device running DJI GO APP.
2016-10-9
Use props
steve.dawson
lvl.1
New Zealand

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-10-9 18:50
Hello Steve, it's synced with the mobile device running DJI GO APP.

Hi Natalia,

I use my Inspire 1 for photogrammetry so the accuracy of the image timestamps is very important. If the timestamps are taken from the device running the "GO" app, this is not good. It's especially not good if you use an iPad Air 2 (as I do). On the wifi-only Air2, the time drifts between synchronisations (which apparently happens when you are a network, and open Safari, or similar). So, in the wilderness, the accuracy of the timestamps will drift.

Since the Inspire has it's own GPS, I'd assumed the image timestamps would be based on GPS time. It would be way better if they were. Could you please pass this on...

Thanks, Steve
2016-10-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

steve.dawson@ot Posted at 2016-10-17 09:08
Hi Natalia,

I use my Inspire 1 for photogrammetry so the accuracy of the image timestamps is very ...

Thank you so much for the details and feedback, will help you transfer this to our relevant department.
2016-10-16
Use props
dronedata
New

United States

Hi DJI Natalia,
We had the same question.  We discovered the GPS timestamp is linked to the tablet and the local time which does not correct for positional time error.  We are looking for the GPS time to the hundredth of a second.  We are running M600 with just the A3 without RTK and currently using just the X3 but plan on using the X5 if we can get this time issue corrected to correlate the exact focal center on the ground.  
Thanks...
2017-2-8
Use props
djiuser_CeS2mFMwHgEI
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Adding another +1 to this down the line, DJI Fly *still* doesn't tag photos with GPS time, with all the image processing going on on board surely it's not a lot to ask to just get decent time stamps on the images, as mine are off by multiple seconds even after making every effort to time synch my control device
2022-9-20
Use props
whaleguy
lvl.1
New Zealand

djiuser_CeS2mFMwHgEI Posted at 9-20 05:48
Adding another +1 to this down the line, DJI Fly *still* doesn't tag photos with GPS time, with all the image processing going on on board surely it's not a lot to ask to just get decent time stamps on the images, as mine are off by multiple seconds even after making every effort to time synch my control device

Hear hear!
2022-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules