I want the Mavic but.....
2106 25 2016-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alanw2005
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39918 ft
Canada

I really like the Mavic and always buy the latest DJI product but am hesitant on this one for the following reasons:

1. Smaller so can't handle as high winds as the P4.
2. No landing gear making taking off and landing from uneven terrain and  high grass harder. Plus no hand catches for situations like when you  are on a boat.
3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
4. Narrower FOV compared to P4.
5. Folding legs. How many cycles until those ribbon cables break like they did on the old Motorola flip phones.
6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and  high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust  of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible  injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do  want one but have concerns.
2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well if all that doesn't convince you I don't know what more you need,
All those problems v it's compact design.
2016-10-11
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Well you can knock #1 off your list.   High wind tests have suggested it might actually handle wind better than the P4.

The others are valid points.
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

#1 FALSE.  Some videos show the Mavic actually is performing better in wind tests.

#2.  TRUE. But you can use a matt to make this a non issue.

#3. FALSE.  It will default to a preset very similar to the P3 or P4.  If you get close to an object indoors you have the additional option to focus closer.  (Which P3 and P4 do NOT have.)  It's BETTER not worse.

#4. TRUE.  Slightly narrower.

#5. Unknown.  Although DJI has stated it's been tested to 5000 cycles.  (Far longer than most owners will ever use.)

#6 Unknown.  Folding props also can fold an relieve stress in the event of a blade strike.  So we may see far LESS prop damage in the event you hit something.  There is absolutely NO evidence to support your claim that the folding props are less durable than fixed props. If properly designed they may offer superior durability.  Only time will tell.

That's just my own opinion.  Others may vary.
2016-10-11
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

Plus how much are extra props?   Not much.    I see #6 as a non-issue.
2016-10-11
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

1. Smaller so can't handle as high winds as the P4.
2. No landing gear making taking off and landing from uneven terrain and  high grass harder. Plus no hand catches for situations like when you  are on a boat.
3. Camera needs focusing. I can see myself getting shots that are out of focus because I didn't focus.
4. Narrower FOV compared to P4.
5. Folding legs. How many cycles until those ribbon cables break like they did on the old Motorola flip phones.
6. Folding props. Those hinge points on the props are weak points and  high stress points. They carry the full weight of the craft and thrust  of the motors. Loose a prop and it is complete hull damage and possible  injury to bystanders. I am wary but love the compact design. I really do  want one but have concerns.

2 - How much uneven terrain are we talking about, from some of the videos you could probably take off and land from your hand.
3 - Thought the camera was touch to focus through your phone.
4 - smaller camera, but I'm sure there could possibly be some aftermarket adaptions for the camera.
5/6 - they say 5000 folds, who is to say they are using ribbon cables, it could be some other sort of contact.  But I'm sure they engineered the crap outta this thing to ensure the materials they use will last.  If you lose a prop on any quadcopter there is always the risk of hull damage.
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-10-11 13:52
2 - How much uneven terrain are we talking about, from some of the videos you could probably take o ...

#1.  Smaller. True.  But it's more nimble and flies almost the same speed as a P4.  It depends a lot on the speed of the IMU and servo loops.  Mavic has 2 IMU's P4 has only 1.  Some tests using a leaf blower show the Mavic holding position BETTER than the P4 under the same conditions.  Smaller does NOT mean less stable if the done is able to correct FASTER and correct position BETTER.

#3.  It does have tap to focus.  P4 does NOT.  This means you CAN focus on close subjects with Mavic.  With P4 you cannot.  (P4 is fixed.)  The Mavic will default to near infinity just like aP4 if you do nothing.  Mavic just gives you the extra option (That is missing from P4) to focus closer for indoor shots.  This gives the Mavic a 100% ADVANTAGE over P4 with respect to focusing.

#4.  Smaller camera but exactly the SAME SENSOR SIZE.  Only the external case design and optics have been optimized smaller.  It still has exactly the SAME SENSOR as a P4.
2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 21:58
#1.  Smaller. True.  But it's more nimble and flies almost the same speed as a P4.  It depends a lo ...

What photo shots would you be taken indoors ,with a drone that you couldn't take better with a decent Camera ?
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-11 14:11
What photo shots would you be taken indoors ,with a drone that you couldn't take better with a dec ...

2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 22:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-LzA2VZHZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD8Ia4RAExo

Your point is what I can take much better photographs with a hand held camera than what you are showing me, maybe you should read my question
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-11 14:27
Your point is what I can take much better photographs with a hand held camera than what you are sh ...

I showed you several video examples that would not be possible without hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of motion picture cranes & crews.

If you want to talk about still images.  OK.  Sure you can get a ladder to get above a crowd.  Or... you can pull a Mavic out of your pocket and get the same shot without a ladder.
Sure a DSLR has superior image quality in most cases for stills.  Agreed.  No arguement.

I was not talking about still images.  I was talking about videos and the unique ability to position a drone anywhere within a space.  (Like a church or a sports arena...)
2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 22:38
I showed you several video examples that would not be possible without hundreds of thousands of do ...

My question was about photo, maybe not right to hijack this thread
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-11 14:41
My question was about photo, maybe not right to hijack this thread

The original thread was talking about various perceived features of Mavic vs Phantom drones.  The whole photo thing is a bit off topic but heck that's OK by me.  We are just having a friendly discussion here.  No offense intended.   It's all good.  
2016-10-11
Use props
skyrider420
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-10-11
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

skyrider420@out Posted at 2016-10-11 14:55
Then don't buy it if you are not happy with the specs..........

I agree.  Nobody is forcing you to buy a Mavic.  DJI still makes the P3 and P4.
2016-10-11
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

skyrider420@out Posted at 2016-10-12 05:55
Then don't buy it if you are not happy with the specs..........

But people like to complain.  LOL   I think people are mistaking this for the Phantom 4 replacement.  This is not a replacement, it is a completely separate product line, who know they may start to incorporate some of the Mavic features into the P5 (ie foldable propeller blades).
2016-10-11
Use props
msduncanrolltid
lvl.4
United States

That wedding videographer that uses a drone......   I don't know how he doesn't completely disrupt the ceremony.   My wife would have taken a baseball bat to it if it was buzzing like a swarm of bees right next to her during our vows.
2016-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 22:46
The original thread was talking about various perceived features of Mavic vs Phantom drones.  The w ...

No problem Fulgerite I'll come calling when I need to rack your brain..
2016-10-11
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

I want the Mavic but, in no particular order:

1. I like my Samsung phone, it's brand new and on a 2 year contract - heck I bought the thing because the S6 overheated running Go, but the new phone actually reboots mid flight...
2. A major appeal was the goggles - but if anything like the price "leaked", then screw that idea!
3. Concerns about law changes and forced 'updates' that cripple the range and altitude down into a child's toy
4. Concerns that it was rushed to market to block the Karma, thus using early buyers as beta-testers for the software bugs, design errors and structural deficiencies
5. The long shopping list of other goodies I could be spending that money on (hard panniers, long-range fuel tank and luxury seat for my motorbike, or a new i7 laptop, or a Playstation 4, or...)
6. Horror stories about DJI after sales service
7. Total lack of waterproofing. I'm human, I like water, rivers, beaches, waterfall, pools, lakes, and I ride through rainforest, which is always a bit damp.
8. Lack of foldable legs to get it out of the grass and above the pebbles and such of using it outdoors. I bought longer legs for my Phantom for that and this thing has like 1" stumps?
9. Forward facing camera means potentially face-planting with the camera and gimbal (and then see #6)
10. Fly-aways. My Phantom once told me it had recorded a home point, then flew the wrong way on RTH. Only a handful of Mavics have been released to celebrity bloggers and one of them has already been lost

I'm fully aware of the counterarguments, yes Casey is irresponsible and reckless, yes most electronics aren't waterproof (my Samsung S7 is...) yes hand-catching is physically possible, dangerous but possible, yes I could buy yet another phone and charger and lug those around as well, etc.

Must admit I've gone from white-hot desire to a dull red glow of wanting it, but...

There's also the fact that I rarely have over $1000 just sitting as cash in Paypal; right now I do but I usually don't, so if I don't order it soon then it will be months before I can.

But I just can't press that order button. The S7 issue is a show-stopper by itself, plus the other stuff above.

I think I've pretty much decided I'm not buying, not now.

I want it sure, but "It's a Samsung problem" just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not feeling the love.

2016-10-11
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 22:58
#1.  Smaller. True.  But it's more nimble and flies almost the same speed as a P4.  It depends a lo ...

Hi Fulgerite, #3 does confuse me when seeing the Casey Neistat material on Youtube. He's filming some far distance objects wich are blurry. How can that happen, you explain that this focus feature is only usefull for short distance recordings? Sorry, I really do not understand(new to this and hope to learn from people on this forum). Thanks
2016-10-11
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Anoniem Posted at 2016-10-12 14:34
Hi Fulgerite, #3 does confuse me when seeing the Casey Neistat material on Youtube. He's filming s ...

Wide angle lenses have a deep depth of field (focus on things both near and far) and they are very good for aerial photography as they don't really need focusing. However the Mavic lens is designed to be able to focus very close (0.5 meter I read somewhere) and if set that close then yes, distant objects will be blurry.
2016-10-11
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-11 21:58

FYI P4 does have dual IMUs.
2016-10-12
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2016-10-12 07:54
FYI P4 does have dual IMUs.

Thanks aaron.   I was not aware of that.   I stand corrected.  My P3 certainly does not.

2016-10-12
Use props
allen.rn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

5. Folding Legs

Since you are comparing everything to the P4, I see this as a non-issue. If you are that paranoid, just don't fold the legs.it would sill be slightly more portable than the P4, but you wouldn't have to worry about the ribbons breaking.
2016-10-12
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The Mavic may be portable in size and weight, but is it durable enough ? Only time will tell.
2016-10-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Delta Nine Posted at 2016-10-13 02:06
The Mavic may be portable in size and weight, but is it durable enough ? Only time will tell.

Indeed time will tell, but when you get to hold one in your hands you will agree that it feels pretty darn durable.
2016-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules