Mavic repairs vs care package
1305 6 2016-10-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Airwater
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1517057 ft
United Kingdom

I'm coming from Parrot Bebop 2 where it was easy enough and cheap after an 'unscheduled landing' to buy a spare cross or motors or nose cone and swap them over usnig some basic tools. What is the story with the Mavic because although it will crash far less than the Parrot, all drone crash eventually. Are spares going to be readily available and simple enough to fit or is the DJI care package the way to go? I've already spent enough on this drone without wanting to throw even more money at the care package if it is not completely necessary. I can spend an hour here or there swapping parts over. Also that will only give me 2 more drones but if I crashed this in 2 years from now, the care package would have expired anyway. From what I can see it would have to be a pretty serious crash for the 200 or so cost to pay for the care package and 1st drone replacement.
2016-10-13
Use props
F6B-Rider
lvl.2

Let's just say you don't want any 'unscheduled landings' or losses as the repair bill can be hefty. Fly smart, and fly safe. I had a P2 and P3 for their full life and have yet to crash or lose one. (knock, knock)
2016-10-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Your Parrot Bebop is far less technological advanced as a DJI aircraft. If you crash and the gimbal is damaged, that's hundreds of dollars right there.
It would be wise to purchase the DJI Care Refresh.
2016-10-13
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I would like to get the views of some impartial sources...how reliable in flight are the DJI drones? 95% of the time I successfully completed flights of several kms with the Bebop. Very occasionally maybe a gust of wind at altitude would flip it and then it was lights out, repair time. If I exclude this factor, I wouldn't have had any repairs to make and then the care package for the Mavic would be an unnecessary expense.
2016-10-14
Use props
steven
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1009301 ft
United States

Airwater Posted at 2016-10-14 17:39
I would like to get the views of some impartial sources...how reliable in flight are the DJI drones? ...

I lost my first one (DJI Phantom 1) due to a fly-away.  But that was a less sophisticated drone than anything DJI has made since.  From my first flight with my Phantom 3 Professional, I could tell that with their remote viewing solutions there is MUCH less to be worried about.

That said, I could easily fly into a tree (even with the new obstacle avoidance sensors) or have some other unexpected mishap.  Recently, with my P3P, my screw-on UV filter was broken.  I didn't realize what this was and thought that the entire lens was broken which may have been very expensive to fix.

Anyhow, for $99, I personally went for the repair package.  Partially paying for peace-of-mind.  But, this isn't a smartphone.  Smartphones fall from less than 5 feet.  This could fall from hundred(s).
2016-10-14
Use props
Maverikster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24672 ft
Netherlands

Is there any situation in which a fly-away situation is covered by the care package? I thought those situations are never covered, but perhaps when it can be proven (how?) that it was a technical glitch that caused the fly-away?
2016-10-14
Use props
Airwater
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Maverikster Posted at 2016-10-14 12:43
Is there any situation in which a fly-away situation is covered by the care package? I thought those ...

DJI policy and common sense says no. Too many people would lie and sell the replacement for $$$.
2016-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules