Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Take the phantom on the boat
1325 5 2016-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yannna
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3481 ft

Hong Kong

Take my phantom on the boat,but afraid to fly it.
What's your suggestion?
first.jpg
2016-10-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Great shot.
Be careful when flying over water, hope you have great experiences after more practice, and look forward your videos and pics.
2016-10-17
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha yannna,

Flying successfully from a boat depends on how stable the boat is.  Large boats are generally easier than small boats.  Power boats are easier than sailboats with masts that have support cables that can crash your Phantom.  Pontoon rafts on a lake are pretty easy as are power multi-hulls.

Most of the time you will have to hand-release and hand-catch your Phantom so you should learn how to do that while on solid ground before you ever try it on a boat.  There are videos on YouTube that show how to do it without chopping off a finger or two.  It is always best to fly from a boat with an assistant who is well trained on hand-catching Phantoms.  That way you can concentrate on flying the Phantom to your assistant so that it is easy for them to grasp it.  Be sure that whoever hand-catches the Phantom wears eye protection and has a way to hold on to the boat.  Even if your assistant wraps a leg around a part of the boat or uses rope to tie into the boat it is better than falling while trying to catch a Phantom.

It is never recommended to fly a Phantom off of a boat but some people will do it anyway so it is better to understand the safety issues involved.  As you look into it, you will have more questions.  That is what the Forum is for.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-10-18
Use props
llarsen
Flight distance : 424797 ft
United States

Hi Yanna,
Below is a youtube link to some footage that I shot in my home state of Maine, in Casco Bay. - Sorry - no sound or music!

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1) Watch your battery life - It will return to home at the point where you took off, which I'm guessing will be open water by the time you need to land.  I had it try to return home, which was about 3 miles away and was able to override it and land safely on the boat, but I could have lost the drone in the ocean if I wasn't paying attention
2) Don't fly too close to the surface - It will create a lot of mist in the air, not good for the Phantom, especially salt water, and will mist up the camera lens.
3) Landing on a boat is pretty tricky,because it's constantly moving.  I "hand catch" all of my landings when on the boat, after a few failed attempts to land on a table.
4) Have a spotter - pretty easy to get caught up in watching the monitor while capturing video.  Good to have someone watching out for other boats, ships, lighthouses, etc.
2016-10-18
Use props
yannna
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Cetaman Posted at 2016-10-18 19:44
Aloha yannna,

Flying successfully from a boat depends on how stable the boat is.  Large boats  ...

Thanks for your reply.
I think I better not to fly it on a boat.
2016-10-19
Use props
yannna
lvl.1

Hong Kong

llarsen Posted at 2016-10-18 20:15
Hi Yanna,
Below is a youtube link to some footage that I shot in my home state of Maine, in Casco Ba ...

Nice video.
Thanks for your suggestions.:-)
2016-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules