GoPro Karma delayed...coincidence?
4632 20 2016-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travis199
lvl.3
Flight distance : 144039 ft
United Kingdom

Very bizarre that GoPro have now delayed the release of their karma drone until probably the new year (who knows)

Could this be linked somehow?? Is there some kind of copyright issue with the folding design or similar that they are battling about?

All getting very messy!
2016-10-19
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

Good find mate, maybe yeah, it could be related.
2016-10-19
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

Can you post a link to where you read this please, I can't find anything by searching.
2016-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Revs Posted at 2016-10-19 13:49
Can you post a link to where you read this please, I can't find anything by searching.

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Sho ... gpqkwxx-005-eu.html

Special Notice
We have been advised that the long anticipated GoPro Karma will not be available globally until 2017  

GoPro have advised, that demand for the product has exceeded expectations and production.

GoPro will have an official statement coming shortly.In the mean time please register your interest by clicking the "Notify me when in Stock" link above.

We will let you know more when we do.
2016-10-19
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Revs Posted at 2016-10-19 13:49

I was told by a support rep this morning while sorting out a return for my faulty hero 4 silver
2016-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

A lot of people complaining about dji being a Chinese company and how this would never happen in the US , but wait is Go Pro not an American Company, now people in glass houses comes to mind
2016-10-19
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

GoPro's website still lists shipping begins on the 23rd, if there's a delay why haven't they fixed that? Maybe it's just for international orders.
2016-10-19
Use props
allen.rn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Looks like the Mavic is still available in USA only very soon. The rest of the world will wait. http://gopropilots.com/threads/karma-to-be-launched-only-in-us-on-10-23.39/
2016-10-19
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>

Over on reddit they are talking about it as only an Australia delay, it will hit the US market still this weekend. https://m.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/589fqx/gopro_karma_delayed_link_inside/
2016-10-19
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-19 21:32
A lot of people complaining about dji being a Chinese company and how this would never happen in the ...

There's a difference, though. People here have been complaining mostly about 2 things. 1, The fact that DJI took full payment and isn't offering any solid info. 2, that they are giving no type of time frame. GoPro did NOT charge in full for preorders. That message also tells flat out that we won't be seeing the Karma until 2017 and that they will be releasing an official statement soon. None of which DJI has done, so your point is moot.
2016-10-19
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

tV1fr835Dcq3 Posted at 2016-10-19 22:16
There's a difference, though. People here have been complaining mostly about 2 things. 1, The fact ...

If you read that alert in the link from above, it says that the Karma will not be available GLOBALLY until 2017. This was on an Australian site, mine you. Though the original Karma ship date was on Oct 23rd, the Karma started showing up in US BestBuy stores more than a week ago.

The Karma, as a product, is not delayed, and production and shipment has not been stopped due to any issue. GoPro is selling a lot of units in the US, perhaps because of the Mavic being delayed, but because of this demand, or possibly due to some international certification issue, the GLOBAL deployment (outside the US) has been delayed.

I am still going with the Mavic, and though I DID cancel my order, I will still buy one once it's available at either Apple or BestBuy (preferrably best buy, as they are based out of my home town, and I don't want to give any of my money to apple). Hopefully, there will still be some fly-able weather it becomes available, else, I might as well just wait until April.
2016-10-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

tV1fr835Dcq3 Posted at 2016-10-19 15:16
There's a difference, though. People here have been complaining mostly about 2 things. 1, The fact ...

Ok so dji isn't offering any solid confirmation, go pro says can't ship globally until 2017, you call that solid confirmation, I don't think so, dji has taken your money yes they have, but you can always ask for it back, many companies take credit card payments before you actually get your purchase or your purchase has shipped, one comes to mind concert tickets you can in some instances pay for your tickets 6 months before concert starts,
My point was there are no differences between large corporations in the US China or where ever, they will all operate on strategies that suit there needs, so to say there are more problems dealing with a Chinese company than A company from the US is just not through.
Delays mistakes human error happen in all walks of life, so long as nobody dies we should learn to live with it.
2016-10-19
Use props
Travis199
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The rep I spoke via email said he has no ETA on the European release. Didn't say anything global
2016-10-19
Use props
allen.rn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

I have 2 Mavics on order. I'll give them up to 6 more weeks to deliver before I cancel my orders. At that point it will be sub freezing temperatures and I won't be able to fly much. If I don't get it soon, I might as well cancel and buy off the shelf in late March. The Mavic will have more mature firmware by then anyway.
2016-10-19
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

allen.rn Posted at 2016-10-19 23:32
I have 2 Mavics on order. I'll give them up to 6 more weeks to deliver before I cancel my orders. At ...

I agree, and have already cancelled my order. You don't want the warranty clock ticking when the drone is just sitting on the shelf.
2016-10-19
Use props
XDfh2UKILeWX
lvl.1

United States

I posted this in the Official Mavic Delay Thread.  Delays of the Karma further support this theory. Welcome to Globalization.
found this on another online forum:

Mavic Pro Shipping Delay Theory; Hanjin Shipping Out of Business

Alright, I have been digging around and I have a theory. Stay with me here.
This article was posted on March 31, 2016 Title: "Global shipping industry takes a hit from China slowdown"
http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/ ... n/index.html?iid=EL
Essentially this article explains how China is having it's weakest economic growth in 25 years and slowing down exports, which is causing shipping businesses to go bankrupt.
The next article is titled: "Global trade slump sinks shipping giant", and explains how the recent decrease in global trade is causing a massive Korean shipping company to go under. It was posted on August 31st.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/31/ ... eceivership/?iid=EL
This last article was posted on September 2nd, title: "U.S. retailers warn of shipping crisis as holiday shopping looms"
http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/02/ ... iday-season/?iid=EL
This article talks about the concerns that us retailers have over the recent shipping giant that filed for bankruptcy protection, Hanjin Shipping, and how this will affect stock levels for all products during the holiday season.
So with all this taken into account, it seems more likely than not that DJi would be having some issues shipping their products around the world in a timely manner.
TLR; The shipping industry is dying.

Also, from the FEDEX website:

August 31, 2016
Hanjin Shipping Files for Court Receivership

Today, South Korea’s Hanjin Shipping Co. Ltd filed for court receivership. If the application for receivership is accepted by the District Court in Seoul, it is possible Hanjin Shipping assets could be frozen while the court deliberates next steps.
These developments are having an immediate impact on ocean freight forwarding operations, particularly transpacific shipments inbound to North America. According to published reports, some ports are turning away Hanjin vessels, holding Hanjin freight at the container yard or refusing Hanjin shipments all together. FedEx Trade Networks is aware of the situation and is following the rapidly changing developments closely. We are reviewing contingencies to address the needs of impacted customers on a case-by-case basis and to resolve any concerns.
FedEx Trade Networks will continue to monitor the situation and will provide additional information as it becomes available.
For more information, please contact your local FedEx Trade Networks Transport & Brokerage office. For a complete list of office locations, go to http://www.ftn.fedex.com/us/locations.
2016-10-19
Use props
erneststrauss3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29406 ft

XDfh2UKILeWX Posted at 2016-10-20 00:54
I posted this in the Official Mavic Delay Thread.  Delays of the Karma further support this theory.  ...

A global economic slowdown results in fewer products being made and shipped which should improve the ability to ship. A bankruptcy does not mean the shippers quit shipping.
2016-10-19
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
United States

erneststrauss3@ Posted at 2016-10-20 01:54
A global economic slowdown results in fewer products being made and shipped which should improve t ...

Also, this is talking about a shipper in South Korea, where the products being referred to ship out of China. This would be more likely to effect shipment of Samsung or LG products, but not DJI or GoPro.
2016-10-19
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Delayed news is fake or its not applicable US. Many Best Buy Employees already confirmed that units have arrived already ..
2016-10-19
Use props
Beto NYC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft

If you go to Best Buy you see the Karma. I'm not sure if they are selling it already (I don't care about that) or if it is only exposed.
It is much bigger than I thought.

IMG_4901.JPG
2016-10-20
Use props
thegrindlab
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't copyright or trademark the folding design. Perhaps you are referring to a patent, but even then the folding method is different, so there would be no issue.
2016-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules