Dynamic Come Home
1878 15 2016-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicoleto
lvl.2

Colombia

The title is self-explanatory. Aside from regular and precision come home features, does the Mavic has any other type of come home? Does the remote controller has embedded an internal GPS?
2016-10-19
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225148 ft
United States

following. I've been wondering the same. What if I launch from a moving boat for instance?
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

For all RTH functions, it uses the GPS in the aircraft to record the home point.
So there is no other RTH types outside of the regular ones.
You can reset the home point to the aircraft or the RC/phone whenever you want and if it goes into RTH mode then the aircraft will go to it's new home point.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

zach5150 Posted at 2016-10-19 23:34
following. I've been wondering the same. What if I launch from a moving boat for instance?

If you fly from a moving boat you can keep resetting the home point as you travel down the water.
OR if you didn't want to do that, you can set the RTH to hover and if there was lose of signal (I don't see how on water and close distance) the aircraft would hover and you just turn around and go to it.

Just make sure you do one of those things, if not then if a RTH happens for whatever reason, you don't want it to fly to the takeoff point which could be miles away if your on a moving boat.
2016-10-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-19 09:36
If you fly from a moving boat you can keep resetting the home point as you travel down the water.

YES!  And it'll compensate for the wind, as well.  So it will essentially be 'flying' to hover in 1 spot over your MOVING boat!!

Look @ 8:44 on...  VERY NEAT STUFF!!!  Mavic should be even easier.

1 other mode to consider using for getting home when you're maybe unsure of some variables - HOME LOCK.  Just be sure to increase altitude a bit, perhaps, before pushing "back" on the stick.  This should be procedure since the vehicle may not be "front facing" for the obstacle avoidance.
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-20 01:34
YES!  And it'll compensate for the wind, as well.  So it will essentially be 'flying' to hover in 1 ...

Yes, it is pretty cool indeed.
And yes, if you get disorientated you can use home lock as well.
Just make sure that every time before you take off you get full GPS lock and the ready to fly message.
2016-10-19
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
United States

Thanks! I think resetting home from the RC/Phone should be work just fine for me. I would never attempt to land on a moving boat! I just want to be sure I can bring it back easily if I need to, if I'm in a different position than where I started. Ideally, I'll be flying it back to myself rather than using RTH, but good to know capabilities if I lose control of it.

Although...it just 'clicked' in my brain....If the aircraft auto initiates RTH due to loss of signal or something, it'll just use the original RTH position since I'll have lost contact w/ the aircraft....Now, I understand why DJI-Ken recommends that I constantly update the RTH position from the RC/phone. Thanks again!
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

zach5150 Posted at 2016-10-20 01:52
Thanks! I think resetting home from the RC/Phone should be work just fine for me. I would never atte ...

No problem, and there's really no reason to use RTH manually. Just fly it home.
And just to clarify, I only recommend updating the home point only if your moving away from the home point and don't plan on going back to it.
2016-10-19
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-19 13:34
No problem, and there's really no reason to use RTH manually. Just fly it home.
And just to clarif ...

Yessir. Makes good sense to me now. And, Yes...definite preference to flying it home, but like I said...just good to know/understand options if you need them in a pickle.

Thank you!
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

zach5150 Posted at 2016-10-20 05:02
Yessir. Makes good sense to me now. And, Yes...definite preference to flying it home, but like I s ...

Yes indeed, and no problem. happy flying.
2016-10-19
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

And how about the option that Mavic? I mean to take a photo of the place  that you are for RTH and in this way it'll be more precise....
2016-10-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Mpampis Posted at 2016-10-20 05:09
And how about the option that Mavic? I mean to take a photo of the place  that you are for RTH and i ...

Yes, after you take off it will store the info into memory and when precision landing it matches that view  when descending so it lands in the same spot.
2016-10-19
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-19 23:31
Yes, after you take off it will store the info into memory and when precision landing it matches t ...

We just have to wait some seconds and it does all the work alone or we have to select an  option on the screen ? As I saw in some vids you have only to wait some seconds .
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Mpampis Posted at 2016-10-21 02:46
We just have to wait some seconds and it does all the work alone or we have to select an  option o ...

It's best to take off and hover for a few seconds.
Don't arm the motors then give up for throttle and take off .
2016-10-20
Use props
SR-71Habu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191125 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-19 09:32
For all RTH functions, it uses the GPS in the aircraft to record the home point.
So there is no othe ...

Ken, you seem to be contradicting yourself in your post.

To clarify, once the drone is in the air and you have set the RTH point (via coordinates from the gps on the drone) you can move away from that location and then set RTH based on your new location? Obviously this would mean using coordinates derived from the gps in your phone, correct?
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

SR-71Habu Posted at 2016-10-20 12:42
Ken, you seem to be contradicting yourself in your post.

To clarify, once the drone is in the air ...

I'm sorry if I did not explain it well. the aircraft will acquire GPS position and set your home point.  If there is a return to home initiated the aircraft will go back to that original point. But you also have the ability to reset the home point either to the aircraft wherever it's location is or to your position by the GPS in your phone that is connected to the RC.
2016-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules