how to setup failsafe on futaba & A2 to get Control Mode Switch work
3730 11 2016-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adam
lvl.2
United States

Hello All,

First off I realize I may be in over my head with this model now. I finally have the time to devote to getting the bird off the ground. I am not a hobbyist so some of these setttings are confusing to me. I've flown other DJI copters but they were out of the box ready for the most part.

I have the S1000+, A2, Lightbridge, and Futaba T14SG.

First off I am just trying to get it off the ground with the A2 and the Futaba. I'm not even installing the LB or gimbal yet.

If anyone has a link to a full blown tutorial it would be very helpful. I have several links but absolutely none of them goes from step 1 to getting the craft off the ground, and I think that is where I am running into problems.

I have followed the A2 manual and run into a hickup where I cannot get the "CONTROL MODE SWITCH" configured properly. In the A2 software it only highlights the mid point as Atti., when the switch is thrown up or down it highlights the very end points and not the correct other control modes. In addition to this the Failsafe does not switch when transmitter is turned off.

A2 manual says to "Users must re-configure the Endpoint and FailSafe functions in the Transmitter to make the cursor point to the right control mode and the according areas become blue".
So how do I do this? I've searched for tutorials for hours.
Screen Shot2.jpg
2016-10-19
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

I think I found the answer in another forum. I reset end point for that switch which worked. 80 100 100 80
But I am still not able to get it into Failsafe when I turn the transmitter off.
2016-10-19
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Finding a slider in the zone "GPS Atti" means activation of the "FAILSAFE" function.If you turn off your transmitter, then you see how the slider is moved to the zone "GPS Atti." This position is for a Flight Controller status "F / S". Slider shows you the function or purpose of three-position switch of the transmitter, and the action takes on this position A2. In this, it is not necessary to adjust the cost of "F / S" in the transmitter. A2 will execute it for you.

2016-10-20
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the response vladimir57.
I have my Control Mode Switch:
Position 1 (UP) - Manual
Position 2 (middle) - Atti
Position 3 (DOWN) - GPS Atti

I don't have a problem switching between them. My problem is that when the Transmitter is turned off it does not go into one of the Failsafe areas. It goes to the middle position (Atti).
2016-10-21
Use props
doghunter
lvl.4

Australia

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-10-20 04:49
I think I found the answer in another forum. I reset end point for that switch which worked. 80 100  ...

With my Futaba 14SG I also found that endpoints -80 and +80 work well.

For Failsafe I mixed RD with the GPS/Atti/Manual switch (I use SE) so that when in GPS Atti mode and RD is turned anti-clockwise the endpoint is moved from + 80 to +120 - This triggers Failsafe (RTH).

I used RD because there is less chance to knock it accidentally.

* doghunter *
2016-10-22
Use props
vladimir57
lvl.2

United States

Dear " doghunter"!
Thank you for your help ! Totally agree with you!
2016-10-22
Use props
doghunter
lvl.4

Australia

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-10-20 05:49
I think I found the answer in another forum. I reset end point for that switch which worked. 80 100  ...

Also, you need to set the end point to 135 80 80 135.

80 - 80 are the end points, 135 -135 are the travel limits. The end points are what your switch/sticks will give you at full deflection. The travel limits are what is possible if you mix with another function. (They are normally used to limit the travel of a control surface to prevent mechanical damage).

For example, my RD mix that I mentioned in a previous message requires that the travel limit has to be at least 120 for this to work. In practise I found that the Futaba default travel limit setting of 135 is fine.

* doghunter *
2016-10-24
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

Thank you so much for chiming in doghunter, but still having the same problem. I changed end points to your numerics and it kept things the way they are.
Still not able to get it into Failsafe mode when Futaba is turned off.

Another problem (which is an A2 software error) that I cannot seem to get rid of is the "Abnormal Transmitter Mid Point (out of range)". I've redone the stick calibration in A2 as well as Futaba, to no change.
Every time I have fired up the Futaba I always get the "Warning!" THR POS. Alert come up. I then just toggle the J1/J2 stick and it goes away.

Maybe some of these are connected. I don't know. I am lost at this point and with whole days of troubleshooting I have made some headway but these 3 problems I cannot fix no matter how much research in the manuals, online, or anywhere I do.
2016-10-24
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

I have gotten somewhere today on my own. Still can't get into failsafe when transmitter is turned off.

But I am not getting the Futaba Warning THR POS any more, and I have no Alerts in A2 software.

What I did was switched my Throttle and Elevator positions to opposite sticks. I thought I would prefer Elevator to be on left stick but moved it to the right stick because I know that is where most people have it.
I also mapped a "Go Home" Switch. I don't think the Go Home change did anything but I'm sure the Throttle / Elevator change did. I guess Throttle / Elevator cannot be mapped differently?

If anyone knows what I else I could try to get the Failsafe to work when transmitter is turned off that would be great but I think this should get me off the ground.
2016-10-24
Use props
doghunter
lvl.4

Australia

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-10-25 03:18
Thank you so much for chiming in doghunter, but still having the same problem. I changed end points  ...

When you get the "Warning!" THR POS this is the Futaba Tx telling you that the throttle is above a certain limit. This is to prevent you switching on a model and the electric motor starts to spin. It can be disabled.

What mode do you have your Futaba set to btw (Airplane, Glider, Helicopter or Multirotor)?

Next: The failsafe setting when the Tx is turned off is purely a function of the settings in the DJI Assistant as the Tx is now out of the loop.

Do you have the current version of DJI Assistant and A2 firmware?

Hang in there, it took me a while to get used to programming the Futaba 14SG and understanding the DJI Assistant software and suddenly it all started to make sense. (The Futaba manual is not much help either).

* doghunter *

2016-10-25
Use props
adam
lvl.2
United States

doghunter,

Thank you again for your response!

I understood that was the case with the Futaba "Warning THR POS." You are right, the Futaba manual stinks.
But for that matter, I find DJI to be not much better in terms of going from A to Z with getting it off the ground.
There should be a disclaimer of sorts. Going from a Phantom to the S1000 is a huge jump for a non-hobbyist, especially with no full blown tutorials.
One of the issues I think I had was that I started with on-line tutorials first instead of the manuals. That is what I do for most production gear these days. Should have stuck to manuals first on this one.

Mode: Helicopter H-1
System: Fasst-Mult

DJI Assistant: 1.9 (No Updates)
All A2 devices have been updated to most recent firmwares.
2016-10-26
Use props
FL370
lvl.2

United Kingdom

adam@adamsteadi Posted at 2016-10-26 13:56
doghunter,

Thank you again for your response!

Erm...
The Futaba Tx should be set to "Multirotor", "Airplane" will also work.  Do not use any helicopter modes as they have inbuilt mixing - this also explains your "Thr Psn" problems.  Things should click into place now.
Forgive me if you already have this sorted.
FL370
2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules