Charging the battery with portable charger?
12Next >
19636 40 2016-10-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wkqkqkfk
lvl.1

I think I saw a adapter that can be used on mavic pros battery to charge other devices like your cellphone but is there a such way to charge mavic pros battery using portable charger? (such as my 10000mah xiomi portable battery/charger with quick charge usb 3.0)
2016-10-19
Use props
James Young
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1085049 ft
Australia

I'm interested in this topic too, as I'm looking for the most lightweight charging solution possible to be carried on hiking trips.  The best idea I have so far is a hand-crank dynamo with a 12volt output, which I could connect to the Mavic car charger.  It'd take a helluva lot of hand cranking, but what else does one do when sitting around a campfire, telling tales?
2016-10-19
Use props
Kuzz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136900 ft

I was also wondering if this could be done with a portable charger. Would be most handy for now when I'll be waiting some time for a second battery. Can charge whilst on the go after using it once. I'm not sure we'll be able to this via USB portable charger.
2016-10-19
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-battery-to-power-bank-adaptor
2016-10-20
Use props
James Young
lvl.1
Australia

Kuzz Posted at 2016-10-20 15:34
I was also wondering if this could be done with a portable charger. Would be most handy for now when ...

I doubt it. A USB charger only provides an output of 5.5 volts DC, I think.
The Mavic's battery has a charging input voltage of 13.05 volts DC.
There is a DJI made charger that runs off your car's voltage (12 to 30 volts DC) but the question remains as to the best source of 12 volts DC (assuming one is away from vehicles and civilisation).

Does anyone know what current the Mavic's car charger requires?
The website states the voltage, but not the amperage requirements.
2016-10-20
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

James Young Posted at 2016-10-20 10:08
I doubt it. A USB charger only provides an output of 5.5 volts DC, I think.
The Mavic's battery ha ...

See the link above your post.
2016-10-20
Use props
James Young
lvl.1
Australia

Nees Posted at 2016-10-20 16:10
See the link above your post.

That uses a Mavic battery to charge a phone.  
Not what we're discussing.
2016-10-20
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

Nees Posted at 2016-10-20 16:06
http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-battery-to-power-bank-adaptor

This is not what the OP is looking for. This allows you to charge your phone or other USB device with a Mavic battery, but it does not let you charge a Mavic battery with another USB device.
2016-10-20
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

AAaaah, in that way, not the other way around. Lol. That sucks.

Well, there is a powerbank that has 230V output. so you can just plugin the original charger.

http://www.xtorm.eu/en/power-banks/laptop-power-bank-18-000/ should work.

230AC (65 watts), thats more then the original power suply. But it is expensive and you might need to consider perhaps buying 2 more batteries for about the same price. (on top of the fly more combo, then you have a lot of batteries) Will you really fly more then 2 hours a day, where you will not have a poweroutlet or car?
2016-10-20
Use props
mcclinec
lvl.1

If you get one of the portable car jump starters, more than likely the Lipos in those run at ~12V from the "jump start" connector to jumpstart your car. You can get an adapter for a cigarette lighter for that connector, then you can use the 12V adapter from DJI to charge the batteries.

I've used a pack similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Powe ... +jump+starter&psc=1

With this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette ... p+starter+cigarette

To run a 12V to 120V power inverter. The one downside is that with my power bank, the voltage tends to get below 11V at around 40% or so. Your car probably doesn't care, but some electronics chargers tend to "brown out" when the voltage gets too low. Maybe some protection to not drain your car battery. Not sure how tolerant the DJI car adapter is, but I wouldn't plan on getting the full capacity of the battery bank.
2016-10-20
Use props
did u see it?
lvl.2
United States

mcclinec Posted at 2016-10-20 06:31
If you get one of the portable car jump starters, more than likely the Lipos in those run at ~12V fr ...

You can use DC-DC step-up converters to avoid brawn outs. But the question is does it make sense to replace one battery with another. LiPo with what, another LiPo? It may be cheaper and lighter solution to just by another Mavic battery or two. It may  make sense if we take another power source, not much to choose from: wind, solar, gas, food (for manual cranker). Wind and gas requires heavy hardware, and food requires a volunteer. Non of them looks attractive. Solar may take ages, depending on weather conditions.
2016-10-20
Use props
elefantastico
lvl.1

Spain

It would make much sense to use a modified version of Estream: https://www.kickstarter.com/proj ... r-fits-into?lang=es that provides 12v.
2016-10-20
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

did u see it? Posted at 2016-10-20 20:44
You can use DC-DC step-up converters to avoid brawn outs. But the question is does it make sense t ...

I totally agree with you.

It does not really make sense to charge the Mavic LiPo (43.6Wh) with another LiPo say 10,000mAh (equivalent to 10A x 3.7V x 1hr x 90% step up efficiency = 33.3Wh). It just does not have enough capacity to fully charge the Mavic LiPo!

Even if one can successfully connect the Bolt Power D28 portable car jumper which has a higher capacity LiPo of 13,600mAh (equivalent to 13.6A x 3.7V x 1hr x 90% step-up efficiency x 90% Mavic car charger efficiency = 45.3Wh) to fully charge the Mavic LiPo via the Mavic car charger, it still does not make sense because only 1Wh energy will be remained in the portable car jumper LiPo after it delivered one full charge to the Mavic LiPo! If only one full charge is expected, why not just bring a second Mavic LiPo (0.24kg), instead of bringing the Bolt Power D28 (1.09kg) & a Mavic car charger?

If someone is looking for lightweight charging solution possible to be carried on hiking trip, he'd better bring along with him 5 more fully charged Mavic LiPo (27 minutes x 5 = 135 minutes additional flight time) which altogether are about the same weight as the Bolt Power D28 and the Mavic car charger. With the Bolt Power D28 he can only get one more fully charge Mavic LiPo (only 27 minutes additional flight time), not to mention that he will have to wait for an hour of charging!

Henry
2016-10-20
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

From my recollection, a normal cyclist can continuously deliver 80W of power (competitor can sustain 400W power output for short period of time). There are portable peddle-type power generator available in the market that can be brought along e.g. on camping trips where one can peddling it in front of camp fire for 2 hours to charge 2 Mavic LiPo for the other day's flying.

But for hiking, the bringing of spare batteries is the only viable solution.

Henry
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

The Mavic AC adapter also has two USB ports that can charge the RC and your phone.
The USB ports cannot be used for charging the aircraft battery.
The most inexpensive way to charge batteries out in the field all day would be a small generator or lots or better yet, just a bunch of batteries.
2016-10-20
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

I actually like the idea of just carrying an extra battery for my hiking and camping, as I could then use the remaining power for my LED light and fan.

That little adapter is a must have
2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-20 23:27
The Mavic AC adapter also has two USB ports that can charge the RC and your phone.
The USB ports can ...

Ken do you have an estimated battery flight time for the controller?
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 01:22
Ken do you have an estimated battery flight time for the controller?

About 6 or 7 flights. So it will easily last you a day.
And with the adapter, you can put charge into the RC and your phone with one of your depleted Mavic batteries.
Pretty neat.
2016-10-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-20 19:16
And with the adapter, you can put charge i ...

It's a great accessory to have so many batteries land with 25% or more juice left, so waste not want not, I'm glad I purchased fly more pack.
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-21 02:24
It's a great accessory to have so many batteries land with 25% or more juice left, so waste not wa ...

Ya, me too. It's a really nice feature.
2016-10-20
Use props
Eldonbkh
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-20 11:16
And with the adapter, you can put charge i ...

Sounds good. And im also glad I ordered the Fly More Combo!
2016-10-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Eldonbkh@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-21 02:34
Sounds good. And im also glad I ordered the Fly More Combo!

For sure, the combo really is a great deal.
Thanks for ordering.
2016-10-20
Use props
did u see it?
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-20 14:24
It's a great accessory to have so many batteries land with 25% or more juice left, so waste not wa ...

BTW, that left over charge can be used,  in theory, to charge one battery and have another full flight. DJI has 12V charger, but can we get 12V out of the battery?
2016-10-21
Use props
TamShree
New

United States

I think you can check out thisbest power bank for laptop listwhich could be used for drones as they have high output current cpacity
2017-2-2
Use props
DerekYoung
lvl.2
Canada

hey, would this battery work? https://www.amazon.com/Poweradd- ... =12VDC+battery+pack

It has the normal DC plugin up to 20V and it holds 7x more charge than a typical 3000mah Mavic battery for the same price as 1 battery.
2017-3-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

did u see it? Posted at 2016-10-21 01:58
BTW, that left over charge can be used,  in theory, to charge one battery and have another full flight. DJI has 12V charger, but can we get 12V out of the battery?

BTW, that left over charge can be used,  in theory, to charge one battery and have another full flight.

If you're talking charging another flight battery from a partially depleted flight battery, think again.  It just doesn't work that way.  You have to put in more than what you take out when you charge batteries of any kind.
2017-3-29
Use props
AlanKing235
New

Philippines

James Young Posted at 2016-10-19 23:33
I'm interested in this topic too, as I'm looking for the most lightweight charging solution possible to be carried on hiking trips.  The best idea I have so far is a hand-crank dynamo with a 12volt output, which I could connect to the Mavic car charger.  It'd take a helluva lot of hand cranking, but what else does one do when sitting around a campfire, telling tales?

The best thing to carry on a hiking is a solar panel, now we mostly all our gadget we bring in to our camping and hiking are rechargeables. What I have right now are solar phone charger, solar backpack, and rechargeable solar flashlight. As for you, James here is a good website you can browse in if you are looking for solar powered tools.
2017-5-10
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I posted some ideas in this thread:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-95756-1-1.html
2017-5-10
Use props
NIQ
New
Flight distance : 1483 ft
United States

This is kind of an expensive idea, but would this work?
omniCharge 13
omniCharge 20

i assume it would work with the following setup?
Extender
Power Adapter

then just have it in a backpack, or attached to a belt.... it also supports solar charging.

2017-5-11
Use props
RileySmelley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1035020 ft
United States

just remember to not charge your batteries immediately after a flight. charging batteries while there hot really hurt them in the long run.
2017-5-29
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

It is a shame there is no obvious way of charging a Mavic battery using a USB port.
I currently use a LiPo to charge my smart phone, not the smartest/efficient way to source power, however as a certain company is only really interested in profit and not allowing their users to swap mobile batteries (the most efficient way), it is the best solution with the resources possible.  
This has been very well covered by Henry Mo-Yung (so I am not going to repeat the maths etc here)
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=67101&pid=525652&fromuid=689714
and his reasoning of "just carry another DJI battery" is faultless for an over night or short hike.

For a more long term solution for a longer hike over many weeks, carrying multiple batteries to cover that time is just not practical due to weight and space.

I would recommend 2 batteries, a solar panel and using the new Spark drone.  I have a RAV Power folding solar panel for charging my kit via USB (smart phone, secondary 4G dongle, AA batteries).  (Other solar panels are available, however I personally like this one)

On a sunny day this solar panel will put roughly 2Ah (measured) or 10Wh back into the auxiliary LiPo battery or my phone while hanging off my back pack while I am walking.  This would be more if the panel as consistently pointing toward the bare sun (as I walk sometimes the panel as shadowed or I am facing away from the sun).

The only issue is the amount of energy required to launch and hold your drone in the air is quite a lot when compared to running other energy efficient devices.
eg
typical smart phone <1900 mAh for a full day's medium use (~ 1.9Ah @1.2 = 2.3 Wh).

but your Mavic battery stores 3.8Ah @ 11.4 V = 43Wh
So I estimate it would take 4-5 days walking in the sun to fully charge one battery using a USB solar panel like this (even if it was possible), providing 27 minutes max flight time (24mins hovering).
So unless your walk is over a week (in good weather), carrying another battery is still the better option.
More than a week and using a solar panel may become a better option.

On a topical note the new and cool Spark can be charged using a USB port.
Typical USB high power sockets provide 0.5A (USB 2) and 0.9 (USB 3), with some proprietary protocols/devices providing more (DJI charging claims 5V/3A  and 9 V/2 A; 12 V/1.5 A )
The Sparks battery is
Capacity   1480 mAh
Voltage     11.4 V
Energy     16.87 Wh
This would take 1-2 sunny days to charge, providing 16minutes max flight time (15minutes hovering).

So say we fix the panels charging capacity at 10Wh/day
Mavic battery would charge in 4.3 days and provide <= 24 mins hovering flight (or 5.6 mins of hover time for each charge day)
Spark battery would charge in 1.6 days and provide <= 15 mins hovering flight (or 9.3 mins of hover time for each charge day)

This will be due to the Spark being lighter.  So if you don't need 4k resolution (and I don't) and wish for more flight time on your hike while being able to charge your drone away from the grid, the Spark is probably ideal.

Estimated charging time for Spark Intelligent Flight Battery (fully flat) via USB using
Using DJI's charger;         ~ 1hr 12min
Using a propriety 2A changer; ~ 1hr 36mins
Using a USB 3 high power socket: ~ 3 hrs 45mins
Using a USB 2 high power socket: ~ 6 hrs 45mins

I found this an interesting exercise.  I hope someone else does too.

This was all calculated using information gathered from the web.  Please read your manual carefully before attempting to charge.. eg. don't blame me if any of this is incorrect or any actions taken by you after reading this causes your equipment to expire prematurely.

Have a nice day! :-)

Solar Panel Foldered

Solar Panel Foldered

Solar Panel Open

Solar Panel Open
2017-5-30
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-20 10:24
It's a great accessory to have so many batteries land with 25% or more juice left, so waste not want not, I'm glad I purchased fly more pack.

Does anyone know how many times you can charge a *dead* iPhone 6s with the remaining 25% left in the Mavic battery?
2017-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

jamesw Posted at 2017-5-30 03:35
Does anyone know how many times you can charge a *dead* iPhone 6s with the remaining 25% left in the Mavic battery?

You should get 1 charge.
2017-5-30
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-20 07:27
The USB ports cannot be used for charging the aircraft battery.
The most inexpensive way to charge batteries out in the field all day would be a small generator or lots or better yet, just a bunch of batteries.

I have a small USB flashlight that can charge the controller or a cell phone and can also be charged by the Mavic battery thru the adapter. Good to have while out in the field, camping or hiking.

About a month ago a user here posted about jury rigging two square, smallish high power portable batteries to get enough amps to charge Mavic batteries. It involved sticking them together with Velcro, making a battery sandwich if you will, and splicing wires for hiking with the Mavic. I think it was in response to someone posting a thread asking about charging their batteries off of a motorcycle battery, IIRC.
2017-5-30
Use props
fansf1bd152a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19272 ft
United States

How do you charge the remote controller from your car?
2017-6-27
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

The issue is that the Mavic battery is around 4500 mAh I think... and it is 11.1V which is 3S, meaning to charge the Mavic battery you would need a power bank approx 15,000 mAh in capacity (not taking into account efficiency)  Another issue is most power banks let off only 2 Amp at 5V so it would take approx 7 hours  to charge via USB, this is why you can only charge the Spark from USB since the battery capacity is much smaller. If you really wanted portable power (in your car or where ever) this is the only true option to charge Mavic batteries fast : http://amzn.to/2ufuVMl
2017-6-27
Use props
Curiousshopper7
New

United States

Hi Everyone,

I have seem some of my friends use this product: https://myenergen.com/shop/drone ... y-charging-station/

My friends that use the DroneMax M10 have said that it is light and easy to carry.  It can charge 2 Mavic batteries at the same time.  Basically it works like your power bank for your drone batteries.  In this case the Mavic.  Although I believe the manufacturer makes these for other drones as well.

2017-8-18
Use props
Rachelal
New

Germany

Curiousshopper7 Posted at 2017-8-18 17:45
Hi Everyone,

I have seem some of my friends use this product: https://myenergen.com/shop/dronemax-m10-portable-drone-battery-charging-station/

Ok. it seems like a great idea.
Anyone try this product ?
2017-8-21
Use props
goodguytimmy1
New

United States

Rachelal Posted at 2017-8-21 21:28
Ok. it seems like a great idea.
Anyone try this product ?

I posted some thoughts on the product in another thread.  Use it, like it.  Everyone should have one.  
2017-8-23
Use props
Rachelal
New

United States

goodguytimmy1 Posted at 2017-8-23 09:37
I posted some thoughts on the product in another thread.  Use it, like it.  Everyone should have one.

ok, found the thread.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-109873-1-3.html
Thanks.

2017-8-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules