Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic & Trackimo (GPS tracker)
7528 25 2016-10-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eloiandre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 762238 ft
Taiwan

Hey guys,

Super impatient to receive the Mavic!

In order to add a little peace of mind to the flying experience, I purchased a 3G Trackimo for supplemental fly-away risk mitigation...
(It is said to be a top GPS tracker/locator commonly used on drones as it is light, small and seems reliable and user friendly)

While I'm waiting for the bird, I'm trying to figure out the optimal way to attach the Trackimo to it...
Right now I'm thinking a strong (elastic or not) strap that circles the top part of the drone that I could attach, when the drone is unfolded, through a couple hooks, each in a hole that we find in the "back feet" of the Mavic...

Now, that wouldn't cover any radar/cameras at the bottom, but I'm wondering if aerodynamics or magnetism/pressure sensors or anything would suffer from having this strapped to the top of the drone...

Another way would be to strap it (somehow) to the back of the drone, above the back LED...

Looking forward to any input you guys may have on this quest to gracefully tie a leash to the beloved drone!

Cheers,
Eloi
2016-10-22
Use props
Y7a2ebIZVfCK
New

United States

Mavic has built-in GPS and GLONASS.  In case of a signal loss, it tries to use two built-in compass sensors and two IMPS sensors to return towards home.  If it cannot reach home, Mavic also broadcasts its last known location just before battery dies.  

Your 3G tracker would add dead weight and provide psychological comfort to you, but it won't really help with safety.
2016-10-22
Use props
Eloi
lvl.1
Taiwan

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-23 00:30
Mavic has built-in GPS and GLONASS.  In case of a signal loss, it tries to use two built-in compass  ...

Hi Y7a2ebIZVfCK,

Thank you for your answer.

You raised interesting points and I believe you would agree that there will still be use cases where such a tracker would be of help.

I'd be grateful if you had more precision on the impact of this not-so-dead-weight (40g) on the flight characteristics... this is an interesting avenue to pursue.

Do you have any insight on the best way to attach the tracker to the drone?

Best,
Eloi
2016-10-22
Use props
Delta Nine
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Eloi Posted at 2016-10-22 17:50
Hi Y7a2ebIZVfCK,

Thank you for your answer.
Do you have any insight on the best way to attach the tracker to the drone?

extra strong velcro
2016-10-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Y7a2ebIZVfCK Posted at 2016-10-23 00:30
Mavic has built-in GPS and GLONASS.  In case of a signal loss, it tries to use two built-in compass  ...

The Mavic location is transmitted back but if loss of signal then there's no location can be reported back.
RTH will initiate of there's a loss of signal so there's no worry there IF you have your RTH setting adjusted correctly.
But if there's a crash, bird skrike, or something that disables the aircraft you may know it's rough last location, but I would still recommend a GPS tracker like the Trackimo if there's cell service where you fly.
I've set my Trackimo on the Mavic to see where would be the best location and I think right on top in the front with velcro.
The GPS is in the rear so you don't want to block it, You can easily attach to the battery with velcro but you would be covering up a couple of the LED's.

Now it's probably not recommended to attach any devices to your aircraft, so if you do so you do it at your own risk. And as always, if you attach/remove any kind of device with metal you should do a compass calibration.
2016-10-22
Use props
amit0
New

Israel

If you want to secure a trackimo to your drone you can use this light-weight attachment kit we provide: https://buytrackimo.myshopify.co ... rone-attachment-kit

By the way, you better watch this - about why you need a Trackimo for your Mavic...
2016-10-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

amit0 Posted at 2016-10-23 22:39
If you want to secure a trackimo to your drone you can use this light-weight attachment kit we provi ...

Honestly, I don't think you can use a strap on the Mavic.
The only place to use it would be in the middle or the rear and you would be blocking the sensors on the bottom.
I think the best way is to use strong velcro and attach it right to the top front.
2016-10-23
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally use marco polo.  It will work even without cell service.

2016-10-23
Use props
Eloi
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-22 11:23
The Mavic location is transmitted back but if loss of signal then there's no location can be repor ...

Hi @all,

Thank you for your answers.

@Ken; any idea how to mount it on the top in the front?
I imagine we wouldn't use double sided-tape and velcro...
If we want to use Velcro, I imagine we have to wrap it around something and I don't see how that could happen in the front...
Thanks in advance,
Eloi
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Eloi Posted at 2016-10-25 15:22
Hi @all,

Thank you for your answers.

A piece of Velcro on the top front and the mating piece on the Trackimo.
And use the stronger industrial Velcro.
And again, it's not recommended to attach anything to the aircraft.
2016-10-25
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
Italy

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-25 06:04
A piece of Velcro on the top front and the mating piece on the Trackimo.
And use the stronger industrial Velcro.
And again, it's not recommended to attach anything to the aircraft.

Any piccies of the Trackimo on the Mavic please ? Anyone ?
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flipperman Posted at 2017-2-16 01:28
Any piccies of the Trackimo on the Mavic please ? Anyone ?

Here you go. Make sure to calibrate the compass anytime you add or remove something from the aircraft if there's metal in it.
Capture.JPG
2017-2-16
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-16 07:36
Here you go. Make sure to calibrate the compass anytime you add or remove something from the aircraft if there's metal in it.

Bloody hell - it looks huge !!!

So you used the standard Trackimo Velcro fastening and attached your own 'male' Velcro on the Mavic ?
2017-2-16
Use props
Woodwanger
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I have ordered a trackmo holder  from this Guy Arthur who also makes an iPad holder which I have also ordered,  they are the best I've seen take a look at this link to YouTube where you can see them
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flipperman Posted at 2017-2-16 12:48
Bloody hell - it looks huge !!!

So you used the standard Trackimo Velcro fastening and attached your own 'male' Velcro on the Mavic ?

The Trackimo comes with both sides of the velcro.
2017-2-16
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Woodwanger Posted at 2017-2-16 13:16
I have ordered a trackmo holder  from this Guy Arthur who also makes an iPad holder which I have also ordered,  they are the best I've seen take a look at this link to YouTube where you can see them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK1eQL8tutc

Received mine today - completely fantastic ! Great customer service and great products. Bought the cradle and the remote stick brace.
2017-2-28
Use props
Will.H
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flipperman Posted at 2017-2-28 13:35
Received mine today - completely fantastic ! Great customer service and great products. Bought the cradle and the remote stick brace.

Has he got a website? Much prefer that trackimo holder and iPad holder.
2017-2-28
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Will.H Posted at 2017-2-28 13:47
Has he got a website? Much prefer that trackimo holder and iPad holder.

No website that I'm aware of. Ordered mine via email from a ski-lift in Italy
2017-2-28
Use props
Will.H
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flipperman Posted at 2017-2-28 14:23
No website that I'm aware of. Ordered mine via email from a ski-lift in Italy

Thanks. Do you have the email address?
2017-3-2
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

I mount the TRACKIMO to the battery just behind the button. This appears to be the center of balance is farthest from the compasses. Use extra strength Velcro and never had an issue. Make sure to calibrate compass after mounting because it does have s slight influence on compass. Recalibrate if using with it off. Works great!
2017-3-2
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Will.H Posted at 2017-3-2 11:41
Thanks. Do you have the email address?

r2mito@hotmail.com

Arthur Brutter

2017-3-4
Use props
Flipperman
Second Officer
United Kingdom

IMG_5643.jpg
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-16 07:36

That's exactly the same way I have mine mounted
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

This is the type of fastener (not technically velcro) that I use to attach mine in the same place that DJI-Ken does:

2017-3-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-4 05:23
This is the type of fastener (not technically velcro) that I use to attach mine in the same place that DJI-Ken does:

[view_image]

I've used this as well and it's awesome.
2017-3-6
Use props
FLPilotShark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 721913 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am with Flipperman, thats how I have my mini tracker installed with that little bracket so it's behind the aircraft & not on top where it can interfere.

3D Bracket for Trackimo

3D Bracket for Trackimo
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules