Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is it Safe to Fly S1000 Unbalanced ???
1450 3 2016-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adam
lvl.3
United States

I am getting ready to fly the S1000+ for first time without the gimbal/camera installed. Obviously these big batteries throw off the copter a bit in its balance.
Is it safe to fly the copter in this unbalanced position? I'd like to get used to flying it without the gimbal and camera for a few days.
2016-10-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It would put more strain on the tuned propulsion in flight in order to keep it level. This can effect the overall flight time and can effect how evenly the aircraft takes off and lands. You would want to try to get it as level as possible, but it can be forgiving if need be.
2016-10-24
Use props
dennismurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

If you take the gimbal and camera off without re-balancing it will still fly...but...I've noticed that you should NOT descend straight down as you will probably get some wobbling. Keep the 1000 in some type of forward/sideways etc movement during descent. You will also notice its more squirrely in ground effect while landing. Personally it only takes what? 5 mins to re-enter the XYZ? I'd balance it...they have been known to do a toilet bowl maneuver if you dont pay attention...it's also too expensive not to take 5 mins to enter the XYZ. My 2 cents anyways
2016-10-28
Use props
jteeple
lvl.3

United States

I have always used a counter weight the exact weight of my cam setup. I've have had moved the the battery tray mounting points forward and then battery forward on the tray to balance. I flew like this but the air frame is really "twitchy" even with lot of gain adjustments. I feel the Spreading Wings platforms where designed to have a weight load in a specific location- case in fact the crazy offset for the X series mount. With all this considered from my experience it is good practice to always have a multi rotor regardless of type to always be balanced. Off balance just makes your IMU/motors to work more to keep stable/level and draw more amps and effect flight time and motor life.
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules