12Next >
27689 57 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason 2015
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292300 ft
United States

Well, I just received my Mavic Pro from Fed-ex this morning and was attempting to fly out of my backyard after updating my firmware and received "cannot take off in a no fly zone".  However, I have been flying my Inspire Pro out of my backyard for the past year and as recently as yesterday without ever seeing this message.

Tech Support told me to send an e-mail to flysafe@dji.com and that I should get a response in the next 72 hours.   The nearest airport Los Angeles International is 40 miles away.

Uggh!
2016-10-25
Use props
Jason 2015
lvl.1
United States

More bugs - Just received a pop message saying "Note  The GEO System has detected one nearby authorization zone(s) Do you wish to unlock the zones?"   The problem is there is no option to click "Yes", only "What is an authorization zone" and "Report an error".   Also have check my location on Airmap and several other NFZ sites.  I am not even close to a No Fly Zone.   

My Mavic Pro is a brick, at least for now.
2016-10-25
Use props
Jason 2015
lvl.1
United States

Jason 2015 Posted at 2016-10-25 17:28
More bugs - Just received a pop message saying "Note  The GEO System has detected one nearby authori ...

HALELUYAH! - I SIMPLY TURNED OFF THE GEO SYSTEM AND I'VE GOT AIR!
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI LA Support
Captain

United States

Glad you got it sorted out for now. Please contact flysafe@dji.com asap to solve the problem you were having with GEO.
2016-10-25
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

What else does the GEO system do? Sounds important...
2016-10-25
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

Is it possible there's a TFR (or permanent TFR eg: Disneyland and the like) in for your area?  
2016-10-25
Use props
sierahotel
lvl.1
Flight distance : 430823 ft
Canada

DJI LA Support Posted at 2016-10-25 20:37
Glad you got it sorted out for now. Please contact  asap to solve the problem you were having with G ...

Does the GEO SYSTEM also tell the system control the  FAA or CE power settings?

Will return to home functions work with GEO SYSTEM off?

Thanks.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI LA Support
Captain

United States

sierahotel@me.c Posted at 2016-10-26 12:35
Does the GEO SYSTEM also tell the system control the  FAA or CE power settings?

Will return to ho ...

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but GEO has nothing to do with RTH or other features that use GPS.
2016-10-26
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

DJI LA Support Posted at 2016-10-27 00:38
I'm not sure I understand your first question, but GEO has nothing to do with RTH or other feature ...

He's saying If turning Off the GEO System, does the RC know what settings to use CE or FCC?
Because as we are aware, the RC decides between CE and FCC based on GPS Location of the Drone.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI LA Support
Captain

United States

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-10-26 14:55
He's saying If turning Off the GEO System, does the RC know what settings to use CE or FCC?
Becaus ...

Oh I see. I believe the craft will remember the last used setting.
2016-10-26
Use props
gary97
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178776 ft
United States

Please help me understand the GEO.  Is its ONLY function to determine if the drone is within restricted air space?  That seems to be what I'm reading here.  But, if not, then what other functions does it serve?  And, if the user can turn it off to resolve no fly problems, then what would emailing FlySafe@DJI.com accomplish?  What would they do with respect to any GEO / no fly problems?
2016-10-26
Use props
lakebarry98
New

United States

How do you turn the Geo system off? I have a DJI account but couldn't turn it off so that I could fly my Phantom 4 in my backyard. I live 30 miles from Washington DC in Maryland and for some reason I'm in a NFZ?
2016-10-27
Use props
lakebarry98
New

United States

Also I ordered a Mavic Pro will I be able to turn off the NFZ?
2016-10-27
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

GEO is the 'new' system they implemented on top of the NFZ system.  GEO is designed to keep you out of trouble by basically never letting you fly if you're anywhere with running water.  The GEO system lets you go through on-screen prompts & you enter your deepest, darkest secret information to unlock areas.

You can turn it off somewhere within the DJI GO app and now the system would use the NFZ system.  This is basically hard-coded, if you will.  It's a no BS approach to being able to fly & not being able to fly.  NFZ is more restrictive in this manner because it is far from perfect, so there are false NFZ all over the place.  It's lame.

Use GEO & unlock areas.  Do this by any means possible, as it is NOT releasing your liability.  It'll only let you unlock areas that you could get permission to fly in.  

2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

gary97 Posted at 2016-10-27 03:34
Please help me understand the GEO.  Is its ONLY function to determine if the drone is within restric ...

Here is a whole bunch of information on it. You can self authorize the yellow zones, the red zones you cannot fly in period, unless you have authorization from DJI and you would email that email and they will reply with different forms to fill out and you also need approval from the airport or facility that's in the particular NFZ that you wish to fly in.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

lakebarry98 Posted at 2016-10-28 11:11
How do you turn the Geo system off? I have a DJI account but couldn't turn it off so that I could fl ...

Here is the all the info and if you go into the Advance unlocking you can see what kind of zone you are in.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
If you turn off GEO from the app, you still cannot fly in a red NFZ.
2016-10-27
Use props
Matt Y
lvl.2

United States

lakebarry98 Posted at 2016-10-27 23:11
How do you turn the Geo system off? I have a DJI account but couldn't turn it off so that I could fl ...

Are you sure your not in the ADIZ? You could go to jail for a long time making unauthorized flights in there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_DC_Metropolitan_Area_Special_Flight_Rules_Area
2016-10-27
Use props
baychilla
lvl.2

United States

Not sure if you're near Reagan or Andrews or a local private field but...

The National Capital Region is governed by a Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) within a 30-mile radius of Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which restricts all flights in the greater DC area.
The SFRA is divided into a 15-mile radius inner ring and a 30-mile radius outer ring.
Flying an unmanned aircraft within the 15-mile radius inner ring is prohibited without specific FAA authorization.
Flying a UAS for recreational or non-recreational use between 15 and 30 miles from Washington, D.C. is allowed under these operating conditions:
Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera)
Aircraft must be registered and marked
Fly below 400 ft.
Fly within visual line-of-sight
Fly in clear weather conditions
Never fly near other aircraft
2016-10-27
Use props
gary97
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-27 23:37
Here is a whole bunch of information on it. You can self authorize the yellow zones, the red zones ...

Indeed, there is a lot of good and interesting stuff there.  Thanks, Ken.
2016-10-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

gary97 Posted at 2016-10-28 12:43
Indeed, there is a lot of good and interesting stuff there.  Thanks, Ken.

No problem, and safe flying.
2016-10-27
Use props
lakebarry98
New

United States

Yep good info but I don't live anywhere near an airport and I'm 40 mins outside DC this just doesn't make any sense to me. Airports, military installations, prisons, inside Washington DC, etc, makes sense but a 30 miles radius around DC does not what's the point? Ask people who live near by in Virginia how they feel about it. Thanks!
2016-10-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

lakebarry98 Posted at 2016-10-28 20:33
Yep good info but I don't live anywhere near an airport and I'm 40 mins outside DC this just doesn't ...

In D.C., 30 miles makes them feel safe...  29 miles didn't cut it.

I, personally, would have just put up a sign "Please, NO terrorists" but now they'll simply NOT hijack commercial jets and fly into the NFZ.  I'm sure terrorists everywhere are scrambling to figure out a solution.
2016-10-28
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm afraid I might not be able to fly anywhere I live. Anyone in Hawaii have issues flying their DJI drones?
IMG_2764.PNG
2016-10-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2016-10-29 00:05
I'm afraid I might not be able to fly anywhere I live. Anyone in Hawaii have issues flying their DJI ...

Using that FAA app, it'll seem like EARTH is off-limits.  You'll be able to fly just fine.  However, you will more-than-likely need to "Authorize" some zones within the DJI GO app GEO fencing. Red zones are off-limits.

http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/map

Zoom into an area to get an accurate depiction.  You'll see that the red zones are small.
2016-10-28
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-29 15:34
Using that FAA app, it'll seem like EARTH is off-limits.  You'll be able to fly just fine.  However ...

Cool. Thanks. The NFZ map more  lenient as far as where I should be able to fly. I'm glad I won't be restricted by what the FAA app shows.  
2016-10-29
Use props
lakebarry98
New

United States

Yep, soon somewhere over the mid-Atlantic will be the only safe place to fly!
2016-10-29
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

"The nearest airport Los Angeles International is 40 miles away. "

Not sure how this is possible, unless you live in the ocean
2016-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2016-10-29 01:33
Cool. Thanks. The NFZ map more  lenient as far as where I should be able to fly. I'm glad I won't  ...

I linked to the GEO map.  The NFZ map is not as lenient and looks similar to the FAA app.  GEO is what you'd want - it's more accurate and encompassing (shows more pertinent info like MOAs).  You'll just have to enter your super secret information (credit card or phone).  It's free & only used for verification.
2016-10-29
Use props
ErstO
lvl.1
United States

“ The nearest airport Los Angeles International is 40 miles away. ”

Thats the down side of the LA Area,  everywhere is an “Action Required” due to the number of regional airports and heliports, heck I have Torrance AP, Ports of Call Helo tours and Catalina seaport, (to be honest I have not see a seaplane there for years)

Heck if you check the FAA maps there is not a free space to fly drones from Malibu down to Irvine.

It really would be nice if they would set aside RC friendly flight zones, or at least let us notify local towers through the FAA’s B4UFLY app.

2016-10-29
Use props
Jason 2015
lvl.1
United States

Matt Y Posted at 2016-10-28 11:45
Are you sure your not in the ADIZ? You could go to jail for a long time making unauthorized flight ...

You turn it off in the DJG GO App.  I believe it is called GEO SENSE.  
2016-10-29
Use props
Jason 2015
lvl.1
United States

Jason 2015 Posted at 2016-10-26 08:35
HALELUYAH! - I SIMPLY TURNED OFF THE GEO SYSTEM AND I'VE GOT AIR!

Just a quick update.  I have been flying without GEO on and everything works as expected including RTH.
2016-10-29
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

ErstO Posted at 2016-10-29 12:58
“ The nearest airport Los Angeles International is 40 miles away. ”
Thats the down side of the L ...

Notifying a local tower doesn't do that much IN REALITY.  The issue is that the drone CANNOT BE RADAR TRACKED and can barely be seen with eyesight - ESPECIALLY if you are IN an aircraft.

Once drones get transponders, they could be radar tracked.  Once drones get transponders, you will have to be a certified airman.  So it is a bit of a dilemma.

Aircraft carrying humans and/or goods will always take precedence over drones.  Even aircraft carrying humans and/or goods means NOTHING if a "Life Flight" is nearby.  Those take precedence over EVERYONE.  This is pertinent to the hobby.  
2016-10-29
Use props
ben
lvl.1
United States

I had this exact same problem despite unlocking the area AND having flown a phantom 4 here many times. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling the DJI Go App fixed it.
2016-10-29
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 00:51
No problem, and safe flying.

Evening, Ken.

As I'm a drone virgin, I'd like to practice flying before my Mavic arrives.

I'm looking at the Syma X5C Drone versus the Hubsan H502E X4.  Do you have any recommendations?
2016-10-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-1 07:02
Evening, Ken.

As I'm a drone virgin, I'd like to practice flying before my Mavic arrives.

I'm sorry, I haven't had either of those. Most of my friends started with a Syma and it was around $50-$75.
Someone else may be able to give you better choices.
2016-10-31
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-31 22:32
I'm sorry, I haven't had either of those. Most of my friends started with a Syma and it was around ...

Thanks, Ken.  I'll check out the Syma.
2016-11-1
Use props
Matt Y
lvl.2

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-30 06:21
Notifying a local tower doesn't do that much IN REALITY.  The issue is that the drone CANNOT BE RAD ...

I don't see why they couldn't reserve a certain squawk code for drones (kind of like 1200 for VFR flight), and give each drone a unique ADS-B serial number.
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-1 20:24
Thanks, Ken.  I'll check out the Syma.

Sounds good, definitely worth learning on that and switch to the Mavic when your 100% confident.
2016-11-1
Use props
Gary UNY
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-1 10:09
Sounds good, definitely worth learning on that and switch to the Mavic when your 100% confident.

Evening, Ken.

We've covered this a bit before, and agreed it's best to fly in the open.  But, it's inevitable in many areas that flights may occur over or around trees.  So, let me ask my previous question a little differently.

Noting that I'm not talking about flying only in and through a forest that would require penetrating a deep wall of trees, I'm focusing in on flying in an area with some trees behind which one might fly.

How well does the DJI remote control signal penetrate through leaves, branches, and so forth?

By the way, tomorrow I should receive a Syma X5SW-V3 FPV HD WiFi Quadcopter so that I can begin my training flights.
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Gary UNY Posted at 2016-11-4 07:29
Evening, Ken.

We've covered this a bit before, and agreed it's best to fly in the open.  But, it' ...

That's great you are getting the Syma to learn on, trust me you will be very happy you did. There's a good chance you will make a mistake and it could be costly with the Mavic
I would not go flying between dense trees in the forest. I'm sure your signal will be fine for a decent distance but I highly advise against you doing any of that kind of flying until you have a few months under your belt.
And also, make to to set your RTH to hover. Then if you do lose signal you can just walk towards it a little ways then you will regain signal.
2016-11-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules