MAVIC UNBOXING & REVIEW
2551 24 2016-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

Hey guys! Got my Mavic today and did a full review, test flight and unboxing. Let me know what you think

2016-10-25
Use props
chanley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75659 ft

son of a...I'm also in philly...and still waiting for my order.  thanks for the review!
2016-10-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Congratulations, and nice review.
You can fly with the dome, just remove the gray cover.
Also, check your props as you clipped the camera lens when you took off.You can also remove the sticks and store them in the holder to make the RC even more compact.
2016-10-25
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What a great review - thanks heaps.
Just wish DJI would make their phone/tablet holders just a few millimetres bigger to allow for phone cases.
2016-10-25
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

Oh shit I am a follower of your channel.
2016-10-25
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

chanley Posted at 2016-10-26 00:06
son of a...I'm also in philly...and still waiting for my order.  thanks for the review!

Philly in the house!
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-25 21:34
Also, check ...

We're getting mixed info on the sticks...  Some are saying the design changed for production and the sticks are no longer removable.
2016-10-26
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 00:34
Also, check ...

Thanks Ken! FYI - My sticks aren't removable. I tried with a lot of force and they didn't budge. I don't want to risk breaking the sticks trying to remove.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Schwavic Posted at 2016-10-26 22:53
We're getting mixed info on the sticks...  Some are saying the design changed for production and t ...

I just heard back and yes the production sticks do not remove.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cocktail5555 Posted at 2016-10-26 23:30
Thanks Ken! FYI - My sticks aren't removable. I tried with a lot of force and they didn't budge. I ...

With the small form factor of the aircraft and RC, removable sticks is kinda trivial.Have you got to test all the features? It's a pretty amazing aircraft isn't it
There's nothing like it out there and that's why there's so much excitement over it.
I can't wait to get mine and take on my motorcycle rides through the canyons.
2016-10-26
Use props
hwkidd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

one hour and counting until mine is to be delivered,,,,  this is one time I hope FedEx is on time,,,lol,,,  great video,  thanks for the share
2016-10-26
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 11:59
OK, thanks for reporting. I've sent a email inquiring about it.
With the small form factor of the a ...

Thanks...I look forward to hearing the confirmation about the sticks. Would be nice if they were removable but I tried again and it doesn't seem possible on mine.

Yes, this thing is amazing! The size is still blowing me away. I mean even the shipping box was so small lol
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cocktail5555 Posted at 2016-10-27 01:34
Thanks...I look forward to hearing the confirmation about the sticks. Would be nice if they were r ...

Sorry, I edited and responded above, I've confirmed that production versions do not have removable sticks.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hwkidd@aol.com Posted at 2016-10-27 00:24
one hour and counting until mine is to be delivered,,,,  this is one time I hope FedEx is on time,,, ...

That's awesome, you will be extremely please with the build quality and flight performance.
2016-10-26
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 13:39
Sorry, I edited and responded above, I've confirmed that production versions do not have removable ...

Damn, that stinks. No biggie, but what was the reason they removed that feature?
2016-10-26
Use props
TBird_RainyLake
lvl.2
Flight distance : 283930 ft
United States

Being a newbie this was good informative video.  I looked at getting a Phantom 4 in mid Sept until I read about the Mavic.  I'm one of the many that are still waiting for the Mavic more fly package.  Can't wait to Fly.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

cocktail5555 Posted at 2016-10-27 01:41
Damn, that stinks. No biggie, but what was the reason they removed that feature?

Don't know. Maybe too many would end up getting lost.
Sorry about that.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TBird_RainyLake Posted at 2016-10-27 01:46
Being a newbie this was good informative video.  I looked at getting a Phantom 4 in mid Sept until I ...

Congratulations on your purchase.
In the meantime you can view the full manual and a bunch of tutorial videos are in the Academy section of the app.
From the Mavic home page, top right icon will take you there.
2016-10-26
Use props
metal450
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459 ft
United States

Very disappointing that they for some reason decided to make the sticks non-removable.  I have a pouch that would've been the perfect size, but the controller won't fit because of the protruding sticks.  "It might get lost" is a very odd/weak reason if you ask me; if we're competent enough to fly a drone, it's pretty logical that we'd be competent enough to be able to handle small removable parts...
2016-10-26
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

watuse Posted at 2016-10-26 03:06
Oh shit I am a follower of your channel.

Awesome man!
2016-10-26
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

metal450 Posted at 2016-10-26 18:13
Very disappointing that they for some reason decided to make the sticks non-removable.  I have a pou ...

I have yet to see any RC radios with removable sticks, do you not think it would seriously be a dissapointment to go and get that great shot and realize you forgot your sticks on the counter?
Or better yet you dropped one some where and you in the middle of now where.
Pretty trivial really.
2016-10-26
Use props
cocktail5555
lvl.2

United States

hwkidd@aol.com Posted at 2016-10-26 12:24
one hour and counting until mine is to be delivered,,,,  this is one time I hope FedEx is on time,,, ...

Did you get it? What did you think? The thing is a marvel
2016-10-26
Use props
70challenger
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for the review, you were correct when you said it's a game changer. Please advise people not to have their first flight indoors in their living room as you really need to start in an open area and make sure everything functions fine as well as practice safe flying.
2016-10-26
Use props
metal450
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459 ft
United States

Visual Air Posted at 2016-10-26 20:03
I have yet to see any RC radios with removable sticks, do you not think it would seriously be a di ...

>>I have yet to see any RC radios with removable sticks

I have also yet to see another foldable drone with object avoidance, 4k camera, etc - until the Mavic.  Just because nobody else has done it previously doesn't mean it has no merit...

>>do you not think it would seriously be a dissapointment to go and get that great shot and realize you forgot your sticks on the counter?

Yep, it would be.  But it would also be a disappointment to realize you forgot a propeller (i.e. Phantom drones).  Or if you grabbed your drone bag but forgot the battery in the charger.  Many things that are removable would suck if forgotten - that doesn't mean it's the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure nobody forgets things by permanently attaching everything possible.  If someone is concerned about forgetting/losing stuff, they can just choose not to remove it.  If someone is more concerned about portability, they can choose to remove it, and accept responsibility if lost.

>>Pretty trivial really.

Maybe in your case it's trivial - but in my opinion all they've done is reduce its flexibility.  Removable = can be removed, or can be never removed, if you choose.  Non-removable = can never be removed, even if you want.  Why does it matter so much?  I'm an ultralight backpacker who lives out of a carryon-sized backpack.  I was very excited about how every aspect of the Mavic seemed to have been designed with portability in mind.  Then I got one, and found that one of these designs had for some reason been removed.  Yes, I realize that overall it's still a fantastic product in a small package - but to me it just seems senseless to eliminate this convenience that they clearly already had.  Requiring the sticks to protrude does require a larger pouch, and therefore additional space in a backpack, which corresponds to one or two additional small things that can't be carried in that backpack - even if the difference is just a few extra camera batteries or charge cables, it is a difference, and for seemingly no reason.  Except "I might lose it."  But there are a lot of things I might lose...that's my responsibility, not DJI's...
2016-10-27
Use props
fansf1cf3cf0
lvl.2

United States

petevandra@msn. Posted at 2016-10-26 01:20
What a great review - thanks heaps.
Just wish DJI would make their phone/tablet holders just a few m ...

Thanks Pete. Hope you get yours soon!!! (if you havent yet)
2016-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules