Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Osmo+ continuous autofocus?!?
12Next >
13569 42 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dalby
lvl.3
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

Hi,
Does the Osmo+ support continuous AF? The AF part of the app/camera isn't too well described and I'm having some issues getting consistent AF and am curious about this.

So, does the Osmo+ provide continuous AF so it adjusts the AF according to where on the screen I set the focus point no matter if the AF point is pointed on something 50cm away and pointed towards something 2m away in the same shot, without me having to refocus?

I've been googling around for half and hour and couldn't find any conclusive answers to this.

I I'd love to get an answer to this. And maybe it'd be a grape at idea if your manual goes into more depth regarding this. I mean if the info can't be found in the manual, then we here can it be found?

Regards
Nicolas
2016-10-26
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.4
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I found the continuous autofocus to be very spotty in my OSMO+. In Android I believe its called realtime AF.

I tested it by aiming the OSMO+ out my balcony door and tapping for it to focus on a building far away(0.5km+) and then back into my apartment. When I stopped moving the OSMO+ around the green box would flash and beep sometimes.
I assume this means that it had found focus.

However this was slow and very hit and miss on when it would focus inside if at all.

I still wish DJI would add these features to the DJI GO App
Infinite focus lock
Manual focus
Focus lock

2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

HellFire77 Posted at 2016-10-27 05:45
I found the continuous autofocus to be very spotty in my OSMO+. In Android I believe its called real ...

Thank you for your suggestion, we'll keep improving it.
2016-10-26
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-27 06:22

Come on man, can't you at least answer my questions?
2016-10-27
Use props
Ngl1145
lvl.3

United States

That's a great question.  I was using the Osmo+ this weekend and didn't know if I had to keep tapping on different subjects to keep them in focus.  I was at a family event and my niece were running around,  It was impossible for me to keep tapping places.  I finally gave up and ended up just hoping it was autofocus on subjects.  
2016-10-27
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Sweden

What's up DJI Thor? Kinda weird that you reply to another comment in this thread instead of also answering the original question posted!
2016-11-3
Use props
SkyMatix
lvl.1

South Africa

I am also having issues with AF, and especially continuous AF. I plan to do some more tests tomorrow (today's yielded terrible results), and will hopefully know more then. Will post an update!
2016-11-3
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

Sooooo is DJI Thor or anyone else from DJI interested in answering a simple question from someone who spent almost a 1000 euro on DJI equipment...???
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Dalby Posted at 2016-11-3 08:13
What's up DJI Thor? Kinda weird that you reply to another comment in this thread instead of also ans ...

Yes, it does have continuous auto focus, it will try to focus when the camera stops moving.
2016-11-10
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-11 02:45
Yes, it does have continuous auto focus, it will try to focus when the camera stops moving.

Followup question to DJI-Thor.  

Where does the Osmo+ pick as a auto focus point when the gimbal stops moving? Is it wherever the green focus icon was left before move and ends up after the move on the preview screen?  Or does auto focus reset to center after the move? Or does the Osmo+ intelligently look for what it thinks is the prominent area of interest such as many other cameras do?

Please detail from a user viewpoint how one should operate the Osmo+ to obtain optimal focus quality.

2016-11-11
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-11 02:45

bump for DJI-Thor response
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-11-12 01:38
Followup question to DJI-Thor.  

Where does the Osmo+ pick as a auto focus point when the gimbal  ...

It is always the center point.
2016-11-14
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-11 08:45

Finally an answer. Thank you! ;-)

I would highly recommend that you update your manual and other documentation to include information on the AF of the Osmo+. I've come across a number of posts from users asking about this on several forums, so updating your documentation could help your costumers understand your product better and get better shots from it.

Maybe even consider doing a tutorial video as you've done for many other factors regarding filming with the Osmo
2016-11-15
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

Hey Thor!

I just did some testing after reading in some of the other threads... The camera does NOT autofocus after the gimbal stops moving, when recording video... WTF?!

I've been working alot since I made this post so it wasn't until today I had the chance to use the Osmo+ again and then I find that this camera from 2016 cant even autofocus while recording???
But it can even do it when not recording.

I'm growing kinda tired of my Osmo... It's so *edited for vulgar language - user has been warned*  difficult to figure out how it works between the lack of documentation in the manual and you and the rest of the support staff feeding me wrong information.

So once more: Does the DJI Osmo+ autufocus automatically during video recording? If no, why not??
2016-12-6
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Dalby Posted at 2016-12-6 17:30
Hey Thor!

I just did some testing after reading in some of the other threads... The camera does NOT autofocus after the gimbal stops moving, when recording video... WTF?!

After some careful testing here, I agree with what you have found. It's really odd that 'continuous' focus works in preview but not while actually recording. Surely that's an easy software fix.
Having said that, the 'touch screen to focus' works beautifully for most of my shoots.
2016-12-6
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

LensmanDave Posted at 2016-12-6 18:58
After some careful testing here, I agree with what you have found. It's really odd that 'continuous' focus works in preview but not while actually recording. Surely that's an easy software fix.
Having said that, the 'touch screen to focus' works beautifully for most of my shoots.

Doesn't work great for my kind of shooting unfortunately :-/. Happy that it does for you though.

And yes, so weird that it works in preview. Although I still feel that even the preview implementation is lacking. I mean, even my 5 year old point-and-shoot can do continuous AF while recording.
2016-12-6
Use props
shoxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2621 ft
Ireland

edit......

2016-12-6
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

shoxer Posted at 2016-12-6 21:43
Tested and: continuous focus is focusing while recording. It's just not giving focus sound confirmation because of sound which would record on your footage.
As mentioned above, it's focusing when you stop moving camera for a while and after zooming. Touch to focus is silent as well.
Lowlight (not even dark place) is a pain tho...

Doesn't work on mine. :-(
2016-12-6
Use props
shoxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2621 ft
Ireland

Dalby Posted at 2016-12-6 21:42
Doesn't work on mine. :-(

hmm, you might be right, checked one more time... i swear it was working now it's not, maybe i did something wrong last time. BUT it is auto focusing after zoom in/out without touch to focus. Still not "continuous focus".

/ i will delete my previous post, i'm pretty confused now.
2016-12-6
Use props
fanse3537bdb
New
Canada

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the focusing on my brand new osmo plus. Does anyone know of any tutorials about this for the Osmo plus, just so I know if I'm doing it wrong, or if there's something wrong.
2016-12-6
Use props
dennish
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dalby Posted at 2016-12-6 10:30
Hey Thor!

Me also!!!!!!  I paid way too much money for something that doesn't autofocus and no clear instructions!!!!  Tap to focus is not a solution when using in many situations, moving, car, etc.  My point and shot canon g12 does a better job.  
2016-12-6
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

So DJI staff has time to go through posts and edit whatever they define as vulgar language but doesn't answer questions from their users regarding core functionality... please help us out DJI!! Honestly you have to admit that getting so much contradicting answers to something as essential as AF is frustrating to users. It doesn't feel nice having spent almost 1000 dollars on your products and then after the fact finding out that it doesn't work as imagined, then getting instruction from the support staff that turns out to not be correct.

Please help DJI!
2016-12-8
Use props
vivian
Captain
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

Auto Track as in auto AF doesnt work OSMO+ ?

Really ?

I was about to order it right now
2016-12-9
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-15 03:26
It is always the center point.

Hey Thor. There is no AF when recording it seems. Can that be true?
2016-12-13
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

Hey buddy

This doesn't seem to be the case after all. Can that be true?
2016-12-14
Use props
Skint
lvl.1
New Zealand

It's very much like still camera autofocusing where it looks at contrast of the image to work out what is in focus. To find the focus point it has to go past it then backtrack, this is why the image has a bump when it finds focus. If there is too much movement it's hard for the camera to get the contrast and focus.

Idealy the Osmo needs scene modes like a point and shoot camera so it know the range it should be looking in to find and hold the focus better.
2016-12-14
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

Skint Posted at 2016-12-15 06:01
It's very much like still camera autofocusing where it looks at contrast of the image to work out what is in focus. To find the focus point it has to go past it then backtrack, this is why the image has a bump when it finds focus. If there is too much movement it's hard for the camera to get the contrast and focus.

Idealy the Osmo needs scene modes like a point and shoot camera so it know the range it should be looking in to find and hold the focus better.

If that was just what it did, that would be something. The point is that the Osmo -does- autofocus after the gimbal has stopped moving while in preview mode. But while recording it -doesn't- do this. Major flaw in the firmware for the end user!
2016-12-15
Use props
UdoG
lvl.1

Germany

Does the previous OSMO version (without +) has continuous autofocus?
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

UdoG Posted at 2016-12-16 13:37
Does the previous OSMO version (without +) has continuous autofocus?

No, it actually has infinite distance focus and have trouble shooting at things close, and can't tap-to-focus or change focus length.
2016-12-15
Use props
djluko
New
Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-12-16 14:33
No, it actually has infinite distance focus and have trouble shooting at things close, and can't tap-to-focus or change focus length.

Hey Thor, appreciate you taking the time to monitor this forum and provide responses to some of the queries - thanks.

I recently upgraded my Osmo+ to the latest firmware 1.3.0.50.  App version is 3.1.1 (2765), also recently upgraded.  The new infinite focus lock feature is a welcome addition, but it does not seem to work properly.  The focus in the distance seems slightly blurry.  Tapping to focus in the distance yields consistently better results.  The difference is not perceptible on the phone preview, but can be seen on the full video files when downloaded from the SD card.

Two questions:

Is there any way to "tune" or adjust the focus setting used for the infinite focus lock setting?

Are there any plans to add a conventional focus lock to the DJI Go app?  (suggest this would solve the problem above: simply tap to focus in the distance, then activate lock.  Please add it!)

Overall the product is great, and takes awesome footage, these features would make it just that bit more usable.  Thanks.
2016-12-28
Use props
Vinc26
lvl.4
France

Hi everybody,

I've made lots of tests on my Osmo+, with firmware and os up to date. And yes, there is a bug about what we could almost called "Continuous AF". Here is how to reproduce it:

DJI ?
2016-12-28
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Excellent tests Vinc26. I have found exactly the same after my tests. I guess it would be good to have the continuous focus operating when shooting, BUT personally I wouldn't want to lose the option to tap focus and for it to hold that focus until it's tapped again. It would be nice to have both options.
2016-12-28
Use props
Dalby
lvl.3
Denmark

Any update to this, as it seems as of now, hardware flaw? Or can it be fixed via firmware upgrade? If yes, when?
2017-1-7
Use props
marrokles001
New
Flight distance : 44518 ft
Mexico

wooooh, damn, i should do some research before buying. I've just ordered mine, but this seems very frustrating, i think i'm gonna return it as soon as it arrives.
2017-2-10
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

Maybe this got jacked in the 2016.10.20 firmware update?  

 To increase stability and smoothness, camera will no longer attempt to focus when the gimbal moves while
recording a video.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... se_Notes+201701.pdf

It was trying to solve that focus-hunting while panning problem, which it did, and then maybe created a new problem with not focusing when the gimbals stops?  Since it does what it's supposed to in preview (non-recording) mode I would assume this isn't a hardware constraint and will get a software fix at some point.
2017-2-11
Use props
CMcQ
New
Canada

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-11 16:22

 To increase stability and smoothness, camera will no longer attempt to focus when the gimbal moves while

Great find, and explains the autofocus mystery as to why it doesn't work while recording...  Surprised that one of the staff moderators couldn't supply this info earlier, as it explains what folks here have been trying to figure out for months...  
2017-2-14
Use props
CMcQ
New
Canada

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-11 16:22

Then again... your quote from the firmware update does say " To increase stability and smoothness, camera will no longer attempt to focus when the gimbal moves while recording a video." Which would lead one to believe it would refocus once you've stopped your move, even if recording..  
2017-2-14
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.4

United Kingdom

CMcQ Posted at 2017-2-14 10:18
Then again... your quote from the firmware update does say " To increase stability and smoothness, camera will no longer attempt to focus when the gimbal moves while recording a video." Which would lead one to believe it would refocus once you've stopped your move, even if recording..

indeed......which it does if you zoom the lens while shooting.
2017-2-14
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-10-26 20:22

Does MAVIC support continuous autofocus?
2017-2-14
Use props
fans477341bd
New
United States

Was this Auto-Focus issue ever resolved with firmware?  I purchased an Osmo+ (last year) to film my son's basketball games, and ended up returning it after everything I filmed was out of focus.  I went back to filming on my original Osmo, which has been returned 3 times for the failing gimbal error.  I had hoped the Osmo+ had a better design and would be more reliable, but the Auto-Fucos issue was a show stopper for me.
2017-10-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules