Mavic - 1st indoor crash
123Next >
12925 87 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

1st post here... I have been reading for a while.

Got my Mavic Pro yesterday. This thing is awesome. Coming from Phantom 3 standard - night and day.

Updated everything, had a few flights outside, it was a bit windy, but Mavic handled it well. Fly instead on the 1sts floor of my house, just up and down - no issues.

Decided to give it another try upstairs a few hours later. To my surprise, Mavic went maybe a foot up (just basic right stick up command on my part) and fly at high speed to the right. Crashed into my couch, did not respond to power down command. One prop was cracked. I thought that maybe I did something stupid on this flight. Put a new prop in and tried again - same result and another broken prop.

I tried flying it again outside this morning - no issues.

I am scared flying it now. I am afraid that it will just try to fly away and ignore power down command. Why did it happened? Is it not safe to fly it indoors?

Please advise.

2016-10-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

No video? No Flightlogs? Nothing to go on... Upload flightlogs, let DJI Ken look at it or so.

Btw, the "POWER DOWN" only works midflight IF you changed the option in the app the be able to do that. By default it is NOT possible.

Did you read the manual?
2016-10-26
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

i've been reading and watching that you should be using tripod mode when indoors.  what setting were you using?
2016-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You did do something stupid, all of the tutorials all of the advice for getting a new drone OUTSIDE IN OPEN FEILD, it's lucky you didn't do more damage, I expect to hear a lot more of these ridiculous stories.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-26 09:33
No video? No Flightlogs? Nothing to go on... Upload flightlogs, let DJI Ken look at it or so.

Btw,  ...

I did read the manual and I have been flying Phantom 3 for a while.

The video was off. I will upload flight logs as soon as I download iTunes (do not usually use it).

Power down worked just fine when I tried to fly indoors earlier.

I did not use tripod mode, tried it before (indoors) but it would not allow me because the obstetrical avoidance was on. I am not sure if you can enable it before take off.

2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-26 09:39
You did do something stupid, all of the tutorials all of the advice for getting a new drone OUTSIDE  ...

I am sorry, maybe I was not clear.. I fly it outside first for a while. I was just trying to test indoor flight ability that it heavily advertised by DJI.  
2016-10-26
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why not wait until you are familiar with the Mavic, fly in a open space where you can learn the flight characteristics of the aircraft. Instead you fly in a confined space. Not the smartest idea
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Exib Posted at 2016-10-26 09:47
Why not wait until you are familiar with the Mavic, fly in a open space where you can learn the flig ...

I agree not the smartest idea, especially knowing that it did crash.

Uploading flight logs - let me know if it was my fault.
2016-10-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Exib Posted at 2016-10-26 15:47
Why not wait until you are familiar with the Mavic, fly in a open space where you can learn the flig ...

It could still be a hardware issue that the VPS thought it was flying away and tried to compensate by going hard right... Still, odd.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

uploading flight log - any thoughts? DJI-Ken?

DJIFlightRecord_2016-10-25_[19-56-56].zip

10.36 KB, Down times: 43

crash flight log

2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Look at the picture of the flight log... the altitude is set to negative number... wtf?

crash.png
2016-10-26
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-26 22:54
Look at the picture of the flight log... the altitude is set to negative number... wtf?

Well he said he got upstairs, maybe that has something to do with that.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-10-26 11:00
Well he said he got upstairs, maybe that has something to do with that.

So, does this mean that we can't fly indoors if it is higher then the 1st floor?
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Anyone? DJI-Ken?
2016-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-26 14:46
I am sorry, maybe I was not clear.. I fly it outside first for a while. I was just trying to test  ...

Hi Oleg really sorry to hear you crashed, but I should also have made my point clear, it's best to get use to flying outside, using the controls, getting to know what's on your monitor understanding what you are reading on your monitor,, and the reactions you are getting from aircraft, always refer back to the manual if your not sure, your manual is the best tool you have, use it,
I think it's great that you came on here and reported what happened, and it will help many more people from being in a rush to do the same thing.
Most people will experience some sort of tip or crash just get back up on the horse and keep going
2016-10-26
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Is like to hear from DJI as to why the automation did what it did. The more stories I hear about automation overiding the pilot (even if they are being silly) really concerns me as an experienced pilot. Even the fly by wire f16 allows the pilot to override unintended computer commands. I think the magic may dumb down pilots too much
2016-10-26
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-26 23:11
So, does this mean that we can't fly indoors if it is higher then the 1st floor?

No, i mean when you were outside flying, maybe the Craft recorded that Altitude and when you got upstairs, instead reading the correct altitude, it was reading the Altitude upstairs but with a position being outside, so Minus 15 ft. (flight log) would make sense and thus at that moment it tried to go "down" but as the VPS kicked in and it couldn't go lower, it drifted to the right.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-10-26 15:05
No, i mean when you were outside flying, maybe the Craft recorded that Altitude and when you got up ...

Good point, but, it was a brand new flight, everything started upstairs.

I do not understand negative altitude on the flight log. Mavic was on the same altitude, but the log shows attitude loss. So, I am guessing that the aircraft "thought" that it was falling down and the obstetrical avoidance was sensing the floor and tried to move right to avoid impact.

The question is... why was Mavic thinking that it was loosing altitude??? A bug maybe?

BE CAREFUL FLYING INDOORS!!!!
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

jonty2 Posted at 2016-10-26 14:55
Is like to hear from DJI as to why the automation did what it did. The more stories I hear about aut ...

I second that... can someone from DJI respond? Should I contact support???

Someone with a brand new Mavic here willing to try to fy indoors on second floor ;))

2016-10-26
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

ballsy to fly it indoors like that i would probabyl fly it outside a few hundred times before doing that especially after waiting so long lol
2016-10-26
Use props
jonty2
lvl.2

New Zealand

Simply saying fly it outdoors for a while is not the point. In the rc heli world if a newbie smacks his heli inside or out at least he will know he input the wrong stick movement or something broke on the heli. The major concern here is automation is doing something the pilot can see is wrong and can't do anything about it! We need to figure this out so if it is a bug it can be fixed.
2016-10-26
Use props
TommyJeep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50423 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds to me like GPS did not have a solid lock on position.  Being indoors and recording a negative altitude.

It's a shame there's so much negativity on the board though.  I suspect folks are venting frustrations with you receiving your Mavic while others are still waiting.  Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the craft to operate indoors.  I just wish DJI gave us the option of forcing ATTI.  When I fly my Inspire indoors (bring on the haters), I fly ATTI so spotty GPS information doesn't suddenly decide it needs to compensate for perceived wind.
2016-10-26
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-27 03:29

Someone with a brand ne ...

Also oleg, i hope not, BUT if this happens again, try pressing the "Pause" Button on the RC and see if it does something.
2016-10-26
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

You may have gotten the negative altitude reading because you were flying over a surface the sensor's couldn't get a reading from. Read the manual if you haven't on what kind of surface to avoid flying over indoors. Also, I'd opt to shut off the obstacle avoidance and go with the Tripod mode. Your indoors and with tripod mode you'll be going slow enough to avoid any obstacles  
2016-10-26
Use props
calvindo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344738 ft
United States

Similar thing happened to my P4, but it was outside. Had the drone on top of car, lift off about 5 feet and it just pulled to the left full speed and crashed into a tree. Tried to recover by moving the joysticks, but it was unresponsive.
2016-10-26
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

What did DJI say when you called the support line?
2016-10-26
Use props
lclerc69
lvl.2

if the mavic has a pb you see nobody who says this here from DJI
like "we don't know what is going on with the shipping" it's a pain in the ass but it's like this
i think the mavic is not ready at all and have a lot of bug that' s the reason of the delay
they don't correct the bug but they must ship a little bit mavic ...
so the first wave of mavic must be corrected
i am not trusting DJI again because they are not clear at all with the delay issue

i can understand anybody who say "ok we are not ready yet , the mavic will be shipping in end of november"
i can wait no problems
when anybody try to hide the reallity at this point you know that a big problem exist
it's just my point of view
i hope i am wrong
but ... i am not sure at all...
2016-10-26
Use props
gary97
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178776 ft
United States

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-26 15:29

Someone with a brand ne ...

When you were flying indoors, were you flying via GPS or WiFi?  I remember reading that WiFi is recommended indoors because obtaining GPS signal is not reliable.
2016-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You said you did it a second time where is second flight records
2016-10-26
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I say don't fly this indoors at all - at least until this thing is properly 'certified' for safe indoor flight.  This would clearly include being able to quickly enter ATTI flight mode or some sort of manual reversion.

What are you going to do anyway?  Hover dangerously close to pretty much everything?  Move a foot or 2 this way & that?  See how long you can hover & NOT crash into your expensive 'stuff' you've gathered over your lifetime?
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-26 16:08
What did DJI say when you called the support line?

they said that they do not recommend flying indoors
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-26 16:24
You said you did it a second time where is second flight records

I do... it is very similar to the first one
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-10-26 16:25
I say don't fly this indoors at all - at least until this thing is properly 'certified' for safe ind ...

You are absolutely correct, I was just showing off the new drone to my wife... I was hoping to maybe do a selfie if I have a few friends over, not a big deal, unless this starts happening outside
2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors.  The position in the absence of GPS is determined based on the pattern of the surface under the craft via two downward sensing cameras.  Note that if there is no identifiable pattern or the light level is too low the positioning will not work.  That also holds true for the VSS system.  If the LUX is too low the OA will be limited.  I fly indoors often when we are in a flying cage or in a manufacturing facility.  But would I ever take off in my living room, NO.  I would not.  That is the height of irresponsibility.  It is like the user that wanted to fly his indoors in sport mode.  If you want to do that kind of thing then buy a $29 toy.  That is not the Mavic.  

The Mavic is a sophisticated flying machine capable of many things, like Follow Me, Active Track, Point of Interest, and so many others.  If you ignore the manual and the hints found in there you are wasting your $999.  You will crash it before you ever discover all the features.  Guess what, operator error is not covered by your warranty unless you buy our CARE coverage.  We know what happens when you fly.  There is a built in black box that records all the flight data, ALL THE FLIGHT DATA.  It is the pilots responsibility to know their craft.  It is not up to DJI to teach you that.  We provide a manual, we are here to answer questions as are other experienced pilots.  We make it as easy to fly as is possible.  But if you don't know what you are doing, if you don't understand orientation, if you fly beyond line of sight, If you fly where you should not be flying, bad things can happen.  I was a beginning pilot myself some years ago, I crashed a lot in the beginning.  I had several mentors along the way.  But I always saw it as my job to learn as much as I could about the sport.  Remember RTF was not an option back then.  We built our own.  

I  am not posting this to come down on new pilots, far from it.  I want you all to fly successfully.  You will, if you invest some time in learning how.  If you think that learning how to fly is taking the Mavic out of the box and going out to fly and wing it I am sorry.  We will be hearing from you here asking why did my Mavic crash.  We will try to assist but who was the pilot?
2016-10-26
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

Did you tried to fly the Mavic with your phone or tablet indoors? I think that if you want to fly indoors is better to use the phone than the RC.
2016-10-26
Use props
oleg_stakhanov
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-26 16:51
The VPS determines the height of the Mavic using ultrasonic sensors.  The position in the absence of ...

Thanks for the response.

But I really do not get it... they showed Mavic flying inside at the Mavic launch event. If it is not supposed to be used inside - DO NOT ADVERSE IT THAT WAY!

What exactly did I do wrong?
2016-10-26
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-26 22:06
Thanks for the response.

But I really do not get it... they showed Mavic flying inside at the Ma ...

As I said did you learn how the Mavic flew
2016-10-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft

I'm not even going to fly assisted. I'll try it after I'm sure it flys. Easier to troubleshoot that way too, if it's a gps error, software error, least you'll know the drone can fly before it explodes in beginner mode.

*edit I can relate though Oleg. I flew my friends drone into a tree my first time flying. We had to get it down with a long branch hehe
2016-10-26
Use props
cstradale
lvl.1

oleg_stakhanov Posted at 2016-10-27 05:06
Thanks for the response.

But I really do not get it... they showed Mavic flying inside at the Ma ...

I tested my Mavic in my living room and didn't have any issue.  There were no GPS signal, but it was very stable, and even allowed me to maneuver to different rooms through doors.  Very impressed with this little machine so far.  
2016-10-26
Use props
Virgil Cameron
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22320 ft
Netherlands

Lol dont you have footage?
2016-10-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now