CRASH with DJI Mavic Pro today
86294 626 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-11-4 15:15
I'm the OP.  I just received this e-mail this morning.

Thank you for your patience.

How you could have a different firmware...? This is strange...
2016-11-4
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12976 ft
United Kingdom

giusis00 Posted at 2016-11-4 14:29
How you could have a different firmware...? This is strange...

Not different firmware, just says a firmware issue, as in it can be rectified with firmware to stop the same happening again....
2016-11-4
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

chippie Posted at 2016-11-4 15:57
Not different firmware, just says a firmware issue, as in it can be rectified with firmware to sto ...

So, in theory, every other Mavic actually flying is affected by the same bug.
2016-11-4
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

giusis00 Posted at 2016-11-4 15:06
So, in theory, every other Mavic actually flying is affected by the same bug.

Well the only way they can determine that is by having the bird and controller back I guess. Could be a sequence of events leading up to it, could be a one off localized event, could be a hardware issue on a few of them, could be anything that caused this to happen in the first place. The point is that they can make changes to prevent certain behavior or to try and prevent it from happening again.

There are 1000's of Mavis flying around out there right now and only a few reported incidents, same thing could have happened even if it was a Phantom or other drone....
2016-11-4
Use props
Marv0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-11-4 14:15

It seems there will be a firmware update addressing these Transmitter problems
2016-11-4
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

chippie Posted at 2016-11-4 16:41
Well the only way they can determine that is by having the bird and controller back I guess. Could ...

I believe that many of those 1000 Mavic owners out there doesn't fully understand a certain "strange" behavior... in certain case only someone who owned a DJI drone before smells that something odd is going on.
I'm sure there's many strange cases out there that are passed by "user errors" or exceptional situation (interferences.. etc.) while in reality are all child of the the same "bug".

I don't remember we had this "the drone is flying by its own mind" when the P4 was launched (nor whit the P3...), for me this is alarming.
2016-11-4
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

giusis00 Posted at 2016-11-4 17:09
I believe that many of those 1000 Mavic owners out there doesn't fully understand a certain "stran ...

Agree but we can only go by the reported cases, speculating about non reported cases is simply that, speculating... Time will tell as hopefully any f/w updates will disclose the fixes in the release notes. :-)
2016-11-4
Use props
fans52e306c6
lvl.2
United States

This is maybe a long shot, the antennas on the RC are suppose to be straight out and parallel to each other and if they are tilted towards each other or touching this will weaken the signal and potentially impact the beam of the signal. Is this a possibility for maybe some of the the lack of control (poor signal intermitant commands confusing the A/I? It seems all the cases are when the Mavic is close to controller/operator. No reports of this happening at mid to long distance. Maybe it might be a idea to have a brace between the antennas to prevent them leaning towards each other.

Just a uneducated guess so maybe the controller antennas are creating their own interference. It is right on Page 5 of the manual warning to keep the antennas parallel or it will cause a weak signal. One might suggest then why is it not a problem at distance maybe the signal beam is wider at distance and narrow in-close.

Just a uneducated theory
2016-11-4
Use props
Marv0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans52e306c6 Posted at 2016-11-4 22:45
This is maybe a long shot, the antennas on the RC are suppose to be straight out and parallel to eac ...

No, it's a problem with the TX Sticks, they use magnetic (Hall)  sensors that do not seem to be playing nicely in some Transmitters.
2016-11-4
Use props
fans52e306c6
lvl.2
United States

Marv0 Posted at 2016-11-4 16:06
No, it's a problem with the TX Sticks, they use magnetic (Hall)  sensors that do not seem to be pl ...

Then whats the problem you have is totally solved...
2016-11-4
Use props
chippie
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans52e306c6 Posted at 2016-11-4 22:45
This is maybe a long shot, the antennas on the RC are suppose to be straight out and parallel to eac ...

The antennas should be vertical (to the ground) not straight out, not sure if this is what you meant or not but just clarifying. :-)
2016-11-5
Use props
Marv0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans52e306c6 Posted at 2016-11-5 00:36
Then whats the problem you have is totally solved...

Sorry I could not decode that   say again
2016-11-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Marv0 Posted at 2016-11-4 23:06
No, it's a problem with the TX Sticks, they use magnetic (Hall)  sensors that do not seem to be pl ...

Care to explain further? How do you know this etc etc ?
2016-11-5
Use props
fansbdc7174a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30341 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Ngl1145, been waiting to see what your crash outcome was, ( before i placed my order ) glad to read your e:mail from DJI and looks likely to be sorted in your favor !.     
2016-11-5
Use props
Silverstone
lvl.1

Canada

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-11-4 22:15

I'm new to DJI and reading here in this forum doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their service. If this is a software issue, than every Mavic should have that issue. How can they say that is very rare in your case? Does DJI produces different Mavics with different software? I don't think that this is the case.

DJI investigators do a really poor job in telling customers who experience the very same behaviour with their Mavics, when they try to safe a $1,000 plus toy with the RC. They should say right away that the customer had this issue in the beginning and than he tried to move the sticks on the RC because the drone started a weird behaviour. As soon the RC / SW blocks the left stick for a second, that's NOT A PILOT error!

But yes. DJI likes to point at the customer to safe money. If it would be me, as soon DJI would point at me, I would have a nice chat with PayPal. And I can't understand members here writing posts like: "What did you expect"  or "It's only $1,000". Sorry! You are the guys I like to sell you cars without steering wheels or engines and tell you you have to see how you get to work on your own because the rest of your car comes a couple month later or maybe never.  

Did you ask for your money back? I'm absolutely sure of that!!
2016-11-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Cougar1 Posted at 2016-10-28 22:42
Ken, just a heads-up, to be able to see the DAT files on a MAC is not possible any more.
This used  ...

I was having a hard time reading getting my logs using Assistant 2 on my Mac, but I eventually managed to get it to work after doing two things:
1. Aside from the application file in the DMG, I also noticed a pkg file for installing some kind of driver. I didn't run this when I installed the application, but I decided to try running it.

2. This didn't immediately seem to solve the problem, but after rebooting my Mac, I was then able to see and download the logs from my Mavic.
2016-11-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

I had a bad crash from what appears to be the same sticky left stick problem two nights ago: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=70952
2016-11-5
Use props
henk0
lvl.1

Better don't get to close to your Apple Watch during compass calibration.

2016-11-5
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Marv0 Posted at 2016-11-5 00:06

Are you guessing or where did you read this kind of information?
2016-11-5
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Ngl1145 Posted at 2016-11-4 15:15

So his case seems toe be "EXTREME".

And reading the forum... It is not just one with non responsiveness. Are they taking your case as an example?

I wonder what is EXTREME about his case.

When using that word, it means something seriously wrong that should not happen.
2016-11-5
Use props
fans52e306c6
lvl.2
United States

For those that thinks DJI is not taking it seriously keep in mind if this is a malfunction that is happening to numerous mavics eventually some one will be hurt, Since DJI has a US division it could cme back to bite them legally just like Toyota and the Key issue. I hope they have all hands on deck to resolve this. The PR downfall from equipment malfunction resulting in injury is far worse then delayed shipments
2016-11-5
Use props
fanscdd4b075
New

France

henk0 Posted at 2016-11-5 18:58
Better don't get to close to your Apple Watch during compass calibration.

https://youtu.be/Gc2TyBo ...

And perhaps better don't fly with a watch or in magnetic field ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wanwgv ... %2045%2033.mp4?dl=0
2016-11-6
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

DJI-KEN or any other DJI person reading this thread or remotely heard of the “loss of control” issues:

It is about time to address this very serious firmware problem. There are numerous reports of it already made by people confident enough to share it. There are many more out there who think it’s on them either because of the limited experience they have with UAV’s or DJI telling them the logs are analyzed and it’s pilot error.  
Off course if they still have the guts to post their experience anywhere they will be bashed by the typical individuals that are able to purchase such a product or a multiple of them and having tons of experience proving their point why the market is opened to idiots dealing with complex devices.

We all know that by far the amount of preorders are not fulfilled so many, many more faulty mavics will end up in many, many more experienced and rookie hands.

You (DJI) do not even have the capacity to produce the required amount  of units decently (see Droningon article) and provide acceptable answers to well-paying customers so solving defects and/or replacing units on individual basis when the full amount of preorders are shipped… I’m an optimistic person normally yet this whole thing drained my cup to half empty.

In this part of the world (Europe) we take safety and liability very serious. Every mishap we make in this branch is closely monitored by the EASA and other regulatory organs (federal level). A couple of incidents is all that some office bureaucrat needs to implement regulations that will destroy this hobby for non-pro’s and with this YOUR market. The FAA will follow if things change around here as always and vice versa.

Please, with some sugar on top, accept, communicate and solve things before more incidents happen. You have all media available to do this, no need for smoke signals in some exotic language.
Advice customers to ground the devices UFN if needed, they WILL forgive you for acting in a responsible fashion.

I have cancelled my 2 paid orders with retailers, if I ever come back to Mavic depends on how you guys deal with this. Very disappointing since this would be my first DJI/multicopter.
2016-11-6
Use props
Marv0
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-11-5 11:00
Care to explain further? How do you know this etc etc ?

Uncommanded outputs from the Transmitter - the flight logs pick them up so they are real.

Also problems calibrating the TX sticks, stuck values etc, plenty of accounts of the problem around.
2016-11-6
Use props
sebnoumea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1194905 ft
New Caledonia

Any update from DJI or OP ?
2016-11-7
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

Yes, may we know what the log analysis evidenced exactly? We need to know how dangerous it could be to fly it, some official words are needed after crashes popping out now every day.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We had replied you the update via email and we would like to update it here as well.
After our engineers reviewed your flight data, it's probably a firmware issue. And it's an extreme case.
Since we haven't received your aircraft, we cannot locate the primary cause.
We need you to send it in for further evaluation and we will arrange a replacement for you.
US support will get in touch with you.
If you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.
2016-11-7
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

This irresponsiveness to input,unable to override and cirkling is reported in several cases. Clearly a dormant error since this does not happen out of the box. Maybe after several flights, maybe never.

After hours of analysis...and then probably? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your efforts but "probably" and "extreme case" does not match in this context.
2016-11-7
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

I doubt any software is to blame for this.
2016-11-7
Use props
P3T3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 701211 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since my incident two days ago I have flown without incident several times. When I had my loss of control I had been toggling between different tracking and self picture modes and that's when I encountered the problem. I have not used any of these features since and don't plan on it until there is a new firmware push. I'm thinking it had something to do with that because all flights after have been perfect.
2016-11-7
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

I don't get it....this was posted 12 days ago...has it been sent to DJI
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

If it is firmware, couldn't they just test using another Mavic and the same firmware?
2016-11-7
Use props
h4tMwjBh9VLY
lvl.1

Canada

fans11982671 Posted at 2016-11-3 21:16
make that 4. i experienced the same thing almost exactly earlier today.  I had the hover 4 ft with ...

Does RTH not first ascend/descend to the elevation set in settings (default 30M). So it may have been rising to that level to begin its return?
2016-11-7
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

LHv0Ersubulx Posted at 2016-11-4 16:41
You scared me with all these weird crash. I just cancelled my order (which was still pending after + ...

Well you should've left your order in... check this out http://forum.dji.com/thread-71287-1-1.html
2016-11-7
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Marv0 Posted at 2016-11-5 07:06

Here's a guy putting a magnet next to the DJI Mavic Pro controller... look at how it starts to move...

What I'm interested to see now is, him having the Mavic in the air and doing the same test.
2016-11-7
Use props
KJUmuI3PzpcL
lvl.2

United States

cluc Posted at 2016-11-8 07:10
Here's a guy putting a magnet next to the DJI Mavic Pro controller... look at how it starts to move ...

hmm I wonder what effect a phone call has ....
2016-11-8
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

h4tMwjBh9VLY Posted at 2016-11-8 11:39
Does RTH not first ascend/descend to the elevation set in settings (default 30M). So it may have b ...

Can attest for this, you need to cancel RTH if you decide to land manually as it will try to go to the RTH height before landing itself.
2016-11-8
Use props
dronesnz64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101332 ft
New Zealand

I do hope most of these issues are resolved soon though, hoping to pick a Mavic up cheap when I travel overseas. Hopefully it's a software issue, I remember my friend bought the P4 on debut and it was a few months before they ironed out all the kinks with firmware updates
2016-11-8
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241207 ft
United Kingdom

Think I need to keep an Eye on this Thread!
2016-11-9
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241207 ft
United Kingdom

Well if I anybody is considering cancelling their order I'd think again! DJI prices have just gone up, well here in the UK anyway!

We’re getting in touch to inform you of some changes to DJI’s pricing structure.
A number of DJI products will be going up in price as of this morning, 10thNovember 2016, due to recent currency fluctuations.

Please note that everyone who has pre-ordered the Mavic Pro through xxxx before this date will still be paying the original prices of £999 for the aircraft and £1,249 for the combo when your orders are fulfilled.

You can view the new prices below:

Products
New Price
Mavic Pro
£1,099
Mavic Pro Fly More Combo
£1,359
Phantom 3 Professional
£1,049
Phantom 3 Professional with Extra Battery
£1,049
Phantom 3 Advanced with Extra Battery