Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is calibration needed out of the box?
4525 38 2016-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djoole
lvl.2
France

Hi,
I have a question regarding compass calibration, or any other calibration possible with Mavic Pro.

Manual says : Calibrate compass when flying in a new location or in a location that is different from  the most recent flight

The first flight I'm going to do is in Europe (France). The aircraft has been most likely assembled in China, therefore calibrated there.

So my question is : Is compass calibration necessary before doing 1st flight out of the box? (same questions for other kinds of calibrations)

Thanks.

2016-10-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

As with all my previous DJI Phantom drones...  I would recommend calibrating the compass before each flight.  Just make sure there is not metal around when you calibrate the compass.
2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

OK, thanks very much for your input, it's interesting to see the habits of users.
What about the other calibrations, what are your habits?

I still would like to know the official position of DJI team on this :-)
2016-10-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I think it would be a good idea to do the joystick calibration as well.

The IMU's probably don't need calibration unless the app reports an error.  However with a new drone I might calibrate the IMU's just to be safe.

Also make sure to install the latest firmware & DJI Go app.

2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

OK, so you would recommend, for a brand new drone, to do all the calibrations before first flight. Noted thanks
2016-10-28
Use props
RyCo
lvl.1

United States

I've read the opposite on these forums: Only calibrate the compass when the drone tells you to.

Given the conflicting information, I think waiting for (or finding) a DJI response is the best idea.
2016-10-28
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's like all the other DJI drones.  You only need to calibrate when you get it, then again if you move a substantial distance from the initial calibration.  Calibration has to do with magnetic declination, something that changes based on your place on the map, or due to interference.  Calibrating every time before you fly is begging for a problem.
2016-10-28
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djoole Posted at 2016-10-28 23:26
OK, thanks very much for your input, it's interesting to see the habits of users.
What about the oth ...

Here is DJI's official responses "Calibrate compass when flying in a new location or in a location that is different from  the most recent flight"
2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

method007 Posted at 2016-10-28 18:03
Here is DJI's official responses "Calibrate compass when flying in a new location or in a location ...

lol yup that's the statement i wrote in the opening post mate ;-)

What I wanted to know from an official DJI buddy, is if it does apply to the first use. If so, I'm happy to know it and it would be great if it was duly written in the manual, because people not wandering in the forum are going to start using the aircraft without calibrating it, and app isn't going to tell them to.
2016-10-28
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Of course you want to calibrate it out of the box. You don't know how it was handled while being shipped, through several carriers. Things could and will get out of calibration. Even if I lived a mile from the factory and picked it up at their door, I'd calibrate. If not for anything else it's for piece of mind. Something happens first flight, at least you'll know for sure it was calibrated correctly.
2016-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

djoole Posted at 2016-10-28 16:38
OK, so you would recommend, for a brand new drone, to do all the calibrations before first flight. N ...

You may get differing views on when to calibrate compass first definitely calibrate before your first flight, and when you move any serious distance away, other than that you will be prompted when and if compass needs to be calibrated.
Yes out of the box do all other calibrations, it's also then you will learn how to do them, and you won't be going out flying wondering if they need doing, it doesn't take long and it will be very helpful going forward, good luck ...
2016-10-28
Use props
Squad
lvl.1

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-28 12:03
It's like all the other DJI drones.  You only need to calibrate when you get it, then again if you m ...

That makes no sense. Calibrating often should never be asking for trouble. If you are calibrating you are setting it, so if you calibrate before every flight you are making sure you are absolutely up to date on your calibration. It might be unnecessary, but far from causing trouble.
2016-10-28
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-28 10:37
You may get differing views on when to calibrate compass first definitely calibrate before your fi ...

Question.  How far do you think a "serious distance" is away from the current location?  Are we talking a few miles, or more like hundreds of miles?
2016-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Petroboy Posted at 2016-10-28 18:14
Question.  How far do you think a "serious distance" is away from the current location?  Are we ta ...

Well I can only give you my experience, I regularly travel with my P4 30 to 40 miles I have never had to calibrate , or got warning to calibrate, a few times I have travel longer distance say hundred miles and further,, and although I didn't get warning or prompt to calibrate compass, I did it just to be sure, I have only once travelled oversea and again to be sure I did a compass calibration, I regularly check gimbal calibration and IMU, Hope this helps,
2016-10-28
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-28 11:35
Well I can only give you my experience, I regularly travel with my P4 30 to 40 miles I have never  ...

Yes thanks.  I have two homes that I want to use the Mavic at, one located in Calgary, Alberta and the other in Vancouver, BC.  These are about 1000 kms from each other and a couple of latitude values apart as well.  I would definitely recalibrate between those two, but perhaps sites within short driving of each place I might not need to.
2016-10-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-28 17:12
As with all my previous DJI Phantom drones...  I would recommend calibrating the compass before each ...

There are other that swear by only calibrating it once and not mess with it anymore and that DJI is paranoid about this. People might calibrate on a bad location while already having a good calibration since last time. So, that might mess up a otherwise good flight.
2016-10-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-28 11:03
There are other that swear by only calibrating it once and not mess with it anymore and that DJI i ...

My only experience is with the P2 and P3 which did not have dual compass & IMU systems.  My past experience reading the forum & my own flying experience lead me to calibrate frequently with the P3.

The Mavic is a different beast.  But I think calibration after is's been calibrated in China and then shipped elsewhere across the planet would lead me to want to recalibrate before the first flights.

Who knows what strange magnetic fields it gets exposed to while being shipped?  Xray machines, conveyor belt motors, Airplane electrical systems...  The odds of something getting magnatized in shipment is pretty good.

I would recalibrate.  Tha's just me.  Others can disagree.

2016-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nees Posted at 2016-10-28 19:03
There are other that swear by only calibrating it once and not mess with it anymore and that DJI i ...

Calibration won't mess up your flight so long as you carry it out correctly, refer to manual or check out tutorials, you may find a way that suits you , but it's important to know what is recommended in the manual.
2016-10-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-28 20:07
My only experience is with the P2 and P3 which did not have dual compass & IMU systems.  My past ex ...

Yes idd, calibrate when you receive it. That is whay I mean, but afterwards... I would not see why it would loose calibration. Unless it tells you to calibrate.
2016-10-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-28 20:11
Calibration won't mess up your flight so long as you carry it out correctly, refer to manual or ch ...

It will when you are in a bad location, unknowingly calibrating above a lot of metal in the ground for example. While last calibration was done somewhere open in a field. Then it might mess up the compass, that was otherwise still had a good calibration.
2016-10-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nees Posted at 2016-10-28 19:28
It will when you are in a bad location, unknowingly calibrating above a lot of metal in the ground ...

If you bothered to read my post I said calibration won't mess up your flight if YOU CARRY IT OUT CORRECTLY!
Apologies for shouting.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Yes I would calibrate the compass (correctly) before the first flight.
When I say correctly, that means no metal around the aircraft or under it.
Don't calibrate from a parking structure/boat/pier and so on.
And make sure no metal is on your person, key's, phone, jewelry, and set the RC/device about 10ft away on the ground then start the compass calibration.
IMU calibration, don't do that unless the app tells you to.
2016-10-28
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-29 04:46
When I say correctly, that me ...

Thank you. Finally what we are waiting for.
2016-10-28
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

That's what i meant, thx DJI Ken. Sorry for not shouting :p
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-10-29 03:02
Thank you. Finally what we are waiting for.

No problem at all.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Nees Posted at 2016-10-29 03:05
That's what i meant, thx DJI Ken. Sorry for not shouting :p

Your welcome.
2016-10-28
Use props
djoole
lvl.2
France

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 20:46

OK, thanks Ken.
So compass calibration before first flight, but no other calibration?
2016-10-28
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

This is just me and I do not recommend it to anyone.
I barely calibrate the bird each flight unless the app asks for.
All I have to do is waiting for GREEN status saying SAFE TO FLY, then I start its engine and waiting for message Home-Point-Recorded before I take off.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

djoole Posted at 2016-10-29 04:35
OK, thanks Ken.
So compass calibration before first flight, but no other calibration?

Correct, the IMU and vision sensors should be calibrated if the app prompts you to.
And calibrate the compass again if the app prompts you too, and also if you attach or remove anything metal from the aircraft (like a GPS tracker).
2016-10-28
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 14:46

Im sure this inst recommended at all. But is it possible to launch from a boat? If so. What are some tips to follow. Dont really plan on doing it very often. But living in Florida and boating quite a bit. Im sure there will be a time when Id like to do it if not to risky.
2016-10-28
Use props
va3fjs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RyCo Posted at 2016-10-28 11:54
I've read the opposite on these forums: Only calibrate the compass when the drone tells you to.

Giv ...

Doing it will not cause any detriment. I put it in "be safe rather than sorry" category. Given the product is produced in Asia (and I am in Canada - a considerable "relocation") I would do the works on arrival.
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

tgs3838 Posted at 2016-10-29 05:28
Im sure this inst recommended at all. But is it possible to launch from a boat? If so. What are so ...

I do it and it's fine. Just do not calibrate anything on the boat. If you need to calibrate the compass, then do it on land with no metal around.
Make sure the boat is stopped and power up wait for GPS lock and go.
If you will then be taking the boat cruising after takeoff then make sure to set your RTH accordingly. You can se it to hover, or you can keep resetting the home point as the boat travels across the water.
2016-10-28
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I made a flippant reference to this in a different post; but when calibrating the compass do I need to go as far as removing my belt? How far away from metal objects such as cars do I need to be? And there are plenty of power lines and pylons about. When calibrating should I keep considerable distance, and when flying how close is too close?
2016-10-28
Use props
YLjyopZMKQu7
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Ken, what will happen when boat is moving during take off?? Will Mavic automatically drift away because GPS will be trying to hold it in position or bottom sensors recognizes that ground is moving and Mavic will go with boat??
2016-10-28
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-28 17:32
I do it and it's fine. Just do not calibrate anything on the boat. If you need to calibrate the co ...

Awesome. Thanks for the help!
2016-10-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

tgs3838 Posted at 2016-10-29 06:11
Awesome. Thanks for the help!

No problem at all, but I would stay on land for a few weeks until you are 100% confident in your abilities and know all the features, functions, and limitations.
Safe flying.
2016-10-28
Use props
sjbirdpromo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 117116 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-10-29 02:38
If you bothered to read my post I said calibration won't mess up your flight if YOU CARRY IT OUT C ...

"if" is the key point here. The deal is, if there is something you routinely do, you will become sloppy.
If you calibrate when sense requires, you would diligently check for everything. If you calibrate before every flight, you will forget once that you carry a neodym magnet in your pocket...
2016-10-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

sjbirdpromo Posted at 2016-10-30 19:22
"if" is the key point here. The deal is, if there is something you routinely do, you will become s ...

Oh so must mean dji are in a routine so they are getting sloppy with deliverys,?
2016-10-30
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Squad Posted at 2016-10-28 12:14
That makes no sense. Calibrating often should never be asking for trouble. If you are calibrating  ...

The more often you do it, the more often you expose yourself to the risk of a bad calibration.  Things like cement parking lots, Car keys, electrical towers, etc, can all accidentally mess a calibration up.  Once you get a good one, the only reason you would need to change it would be if you moved to an area with a large difference in magnentic declination.
2016-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules