Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Pro washed out/blurry right side?
123456Next >
38042 212 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

Hi,

I just got the Mavic Pro, my first real quad (I don't want to count cheap <$100 machines as real quadricopters), and I've been flying it for the last couple of days, taking videos and photos of the neighborhood area (Oakland Hills, CA).

What I've noticed is that most of the time, the right side seems blurrier than the other side (and definitely blurrier than the perfectly crisp area in the middle). Having seen Phantom owners complain about it and being offered replacements in the past, I'm trying to figure out if I may have a defect in the camera of the Mavic, or if this is expected due to the nature of the camera. However, I've seen videos online where the picture is crisp in the whole frame, and if I'm not crazy, I think the right side of mine is actually blurrier than the other...

What do the pros think?

2016-10-30
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

Cross-posted to https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/QRDDGobbQT7.
2016-10-30
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

You probably already know this, but the Mavic has a selectable focus.  Are you sure it's not just focused on the right side?  Did you try putting manual focus on Infiniti?
2016-10-30
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-10-30 15:26
You probably already know this, but the Mavic has a selectable focus.  Are you sure it's not just fo ...

Yeah, I usually focus somewhere in the middle of where I'm flying, but I still don't expect the edges to be this blurry in good visibility, and especially the right side to be that much blurrier?
2016-10-30
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

Archon810 Posted at 2016-10-31 06:28
Yeah, I usually focus somewhere in the middle of where I'm flying, but I still don't expect the ed ...

Yup. I have the sane issue and more. All camera related.

2016-10-30
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

I'll be honest.  I don't see a blurrier picture on the right side of any of your shots.  I am getting old, but the pix look clear across the area to me.  Not saying that there may be problems that other people are reporting, but your shots look great to me.
2016-10-30
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2016-10-30 15:37
Yup. I have the sane issue and more. All camera related.

I don't think I'm seeing focus issues here. If anything, it's the encoding not being able to cope with all that terrain and pixelating a bit, which is normal.
2016-10-30
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-10-30 15:52
I'll be honest.  I don't see a blurrier picture on the right side of any of your shots.  I am gettin ...

Are you viewing these on a large monitor or maybe a mobile device?

Here's the area on the right in the next to last picture:

Compare it to the area from left to middle:
2016-10-30
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Archon810 Posted at 2016-10-30 16:55
Are you viewing these on a large monitor or maybe a mobile device?

Here's the area on the right i ...

I'm viewing on a 32" monitor at 2560X1440 resolution.  Not 4K but pretty good.  You have a case once viewing things zoomed in like you did but not so obvious at the original size.
2016-10-30
Use props
6hDGfzhlBDi8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I definitely see what you are talking about.. I would make sure to bring this up with DJI.. I am a photographer and if I saw that with a new lens I would be concerned as well.
2016-10-30
Use props
MattN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104495 ft
United States

I'm going to say the sensor was installed and not aligned properly.. Maybe it's something that they can fix with a fermware patch for the number of units that are having that issue. Otherwise I'd say the camera is shot..
2016-10-30
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Archon810 Posted at 2016-10-30 23:53
I don't think I'm seeing focus issues here. If anything, it's the encoding not being able to cope  ...

There is another thread here about this problem.
2016-10-30
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Anyone got samples to other stills? Hard to find them. Because this doens't look good.

How does your video look? Btw, did you remove the plastic film from the front of the lens?
2016-10-30
Use props
david
lvl.1
United States

As a professional photographer who has used GoPros on an Phantom One I will say there is definitely something wrong with the images. I downloaded some of them and looked at them at 100% in Photoshop. At least one seems soft all over, but others are clearly softer on the right side. In at least one image it looks to me a bit like camera shake in the kind of blur that they have, but one would think that it would be all over the whole image. Unless there is an issue with the camera dropping a hair in the gimbal on the left side while flying (the image is captured upside down on all cameras). That will be easy to test—take some shots with the Mavic still on the ground.

It is not the kind of blur that one finds in a GoPro or an out of focus lens. I have seen distortion with cheap old plastic lenses (think old Kodak Instamatic cameras or one time use cameras) it is vaguely like that. But that should not be the case with a camera of this quality and price. What I have seen as sample images from DJI and others do not show this problem.

Two questions: Were these shot as stills? I am one of the many waiting for my Mavic to come, but it is my understanding that the full camera resolution on stills is 4000X3000. These are 4000X2250.

Second and I admit maybe an obvious question but is the plastic bubble removed from the camera and the camera focused with the app?

I assume the answer to both of these questions is yes. In that case there is something wrong. It seems to be an alignment of the camera, the lens itself or the sensor as others have suggested. Contact DJI and ask for a replacement. Something is clearly wrong.

You were correct to raise the issue.
2016-10-30
Use props
Malartic2014
lvl.1
Flight distance : 954629 ft
Canada

Very nice.  Did you adjust color after edting ?
2016-10-30
Use props
holywhiteshirt
New
Flight distance : 73898 ft
United States

I have the exact same issue with my Mavic camera - washed out on the right side. Only happens for stills and haven't really noticed on video. I shoot in raw and can clearly see the difference in Lightroom. Is there a workaround for this?
2016-10-31
Use props
ultralinx
New

United Kingdom

I've got the exact same issue but mine seems to be a little worse. Here are sample videos I made where you can clearly see it.

2016-10-31
Use props
david
lvl.1
United States

This is all very disturbing. It is clearly out of focus on the righthand side of these examples. However the left is somewhat soft in many of the examples I am seeing as well. Clearly there is an issue with the lens as it is only really sharp in the center. Since not all Mavics seem to have this problem one wonders if a bad batch went out in the early shipments? Thanks for all the postings and I wish you all luck dealing with this and await word on a fix from DJI.
2016-10-31
Use props
holywhiteshirt
New
Flight distance : 73898 ft
United States

Anyone know the next steps to get this fixed? Chatting with a non-technical tech agent and she suspects it's the IMU/Gimbal that needs calibration? Does that make sense to anyone? Don't think so. Not much of a help.
2016-10-31
Use props
david
lvl.1
United States

The Gimbal was my first thought as well since it does seem to be more of a problem on one side of the image. But I keep coming back to the fact that this reminds me of plastic lens cameras like the Holga, Diana, Lomo etc. They just did not have good lenses or lenses properly aligned to the film plane. (which is their appeal for some photographers).

There is hope that not *everyone* is having these problems (No consolation for those that are however...). If I recall there was a GoPro issue with one of the models early on where the focus was set wrong at the factory. But if the issue was the camera could not find infinity or was focusing "past infinity" then it would be out all over. If this was a conventional camera I would say stop down the aperture and see if the depth of field or depth of focus improves. I assume you can not do that with the Mavic. But it might be worth trying different shutter speeds and ISO combinations.  And if you can do a calibration of the IMU/Gimbal through the Mac/Win app I would at least try that first.
2016-10-31
Use props
Mayoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

hardware bug look here

issue spoken at 2:21

2016-10-31
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

I have the same thing on mine...
2016-10-31
Use props
fansc1d195b6
lvl.2

Subscribing.  With selectable focus, at a given distance, one side should definitely not be more focused than the other side.  Is there a link to the DOF calculations for the Mavic somewhere?
2016-10-31
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI, do you guys do any QA before shipping out? There seems to be so many issues. I know a lot of people have reported this blurry issue so far
2016-10-31
Use props
Mayoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

Mir Posted at 2016-10-31 14:30
DJI, do you guys do any QA before shipping out? There seems to be so many issues. I know a lot of pe ...

Hehe, this has nothing to do with QA / QC. This is simply the expected issues with a generation 1 / version 1 of product. Expect many more issues bud which is normal and will be covered under warranty.

Rule of thumb never buy a version 1 product as your primary investment. For me solo is my primary and mavic is going to be secondary until I send back few times for warranty issues
2016-10-31
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-30 16:25
Anyone got samples to other stills? Hard to find them. Because this doens't look good.

How does you ...

Yes, of course, that was the first thing I removed.
2016-10-31
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

david@husomandr Posted at 2016-10-30 17:00
As a professional photographer who has used GoPros on an Phantom One I will say there is definitely  ...

Thanks for your detailed response.

1. These were shot as stills, but I changed the aspect ratio in the app to 16:9 from 4:3. That's why you're seeing different Y values.

2. Yes, I removed it as soon as it was taken out of the box.
2016-10-31
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

Malartic2014 Posted at 2016-10-30 18:00
Very nice.  Did you adjust color after edting ?

No, I didn't adjust color or edit.
2016-10-31
Use props
crbalch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167057 ft
United States

Same thing happening with my photos...

2016-10-31
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
United States

Glad others are having issues, and it's actually not what the image is supposed to look like. I already applied for an RMA and should be able to swap my unit soon.
2016-10-31
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

I have this same issue only mine is on the left side of the pictures. Link for pictures is here.

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... lem.883/#post-12591
2016-11-1
Use props
JonEllinger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5422064 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having the same issue.  Left side.  Very disappointed.
Munra Viewpoint 11-6-16 72-3.jpg
2016-11-6
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

i'm noticing the same issue.  will i need a replacement or is there a fix i can do myself?
2016-11-7
Use props
fans05db13a1
lvl.1

same issue
Capture 2.JPG
2016-11-8
Use props
henk0
lvl.1

Most of the Pavic pictures i have seen so far have a sharp center and less sharp edges. You find this on many lenses, even expensive ones.
If the effect is very strong, you need to get this fixed. If its only mild, then its within the tolerance from my point of view. I don't think that even exchanged Mavics will have an overall perfect sharpness and you may have to wait many weeks / month to get a new one.

To test the lens of your Mavic do the "Brickwall Test". You find the DNG test footage of my mavic here: http://gofile.me/34DqQ/mhNrwe6qp
2016-11-9
Use props
ZyD
New

Ireland

henk0 Posted at 2016-11-9 08:33
Most of the Pavic pictures i have seen so far have a sharp center and less sharp edges. You find thi ...

Hi,

I am having the same issue on upper left hand corner, both videos and still pictures were blurred, when tapping close to left hand corner it became sharp but the right hand side became blurred, so the problem is mainly when tapping manually in the centre of the screen or pressing the C1 button then you'd see the issue on the left side (in my case).

I've ordered it online from dji website on 28/9 and received it on 25/10. I didn't flight test out of the box straight away only tested it few days ago, I know it's my mistake, very frustrating. Updated the latest firmware today and tested again both videos and pictures still the same. The rest were in sharp focus.

I've contacted online support today and am still waiting for a reply from RMA, so hopefully I'm getting a replacement unit soon.
2016-11-9
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

all these camera issues...

Just a note, have you tested this with a different SD card? who knows it might be a defective SD card or the ability to wright to the SD card...
2016-11-9
Use props
spongedid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

henk0 Posted at 2016-11-9 09:33
Most of the Pavic pictures i have seen so far have a sharp center and less sharp edges. You find thi ...

I fully disagree.
All the DNG images I saw from the prototypes were perfect, in terms of homogeneity.
Means, it's not a design flaw in the lens, it's a control quality issue in production, in the lens or sensor alignment.
I personally recommend to take any of these sample images as a reference, and request an exchange if the quality does not match .
We are not speaking about a 50$ VGA webcam.
I will probably buy a Mavic in Feb or March (after the rush), I'm just waiting a fix for this specific point. If I get a bad copy, I will return it until a get a good one .
2016-11-9
Use props
Dronez
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61135 ft
United States

I have the same issue but mine is on the left hand side. I've already contacted support, submitted pictures and videos. Did all the tests they asked and they issued me a UPS label to send it back to inspect the camera lens. According to my tracking info, it arrives on the 10th to California to be repaired.
2016-11-9
Use props
fans1c9fffff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25430 ft
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-10-31 06:52
I'll be honest.  I don't see a blurrier picture on the right side of any of your shots.  I am gettin ...

Ditto...Didn't see any blurry in the photos or the video.... But, I am old with mild glaucoma in my left eye.
2016-11-9
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules