DJI Mavic Pro washed out/blurry right side?
38059 212 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spongedid
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

A video is not the good way to check the lens alignment. The compression degrades the image. It shall be tested with the DNG images
2016-11-9
Use props
Stokke
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207339 ft
Norway

I would suggest that everyone who has issues with the camera do a top/down photo so you get almost the same distance to everything in the frame. Should be of much more analytic value. Will do this test in about 30 minutes myself and post the photos here. I have not suspected any camera misbehavior, but I have not specifically looked for it either.
Well I sort of failed.. My exposure was too bright to give a good view of the sharpness, and what there is of detail is tall trees wich makes it even harder to get something valuable from them. Added another "low contrast on the edges" image wich does seem reasonably sharp. But there is definately some softness towards the edges all around the frame compared to a pretty large sharp center.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6389451/image1.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6389451/image2.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6389451/image3.JPG
2016-11-10
Use props
ZyD
New

Ireland

Just an update, got an email reply from RMA today.

I'm waiting for a courier service tomorrow and by Monday afternoon they should have my mavic for a repair or an exchange. Camera/gimbal is under 6 months warranty so we'll see how it turns out.
2016-11-10
Use props
henk0
lvl.1

As i told you. You have to take a photo of a brick wall and then its easy to compare the sharpness. Otherwise its hard to tell and you will only big errors with the lens.
2016-11-10
Use props
spongedid
lvl.4
France

You can refer to this test. The images were taken with a preserial unit.
Look at the DNG files, they show what a Mavic is supposed to do
https://www.helicomicro.com/dji-mavic-pro-la-preview/4/
for instance this one (big DNG file):
https://mega.nz/#!S0YhQCrb!biNUQ ... w1ZwbmqlUBJQQPaSwQ4

(converted in Ligthroom, slightly reduced) Click 3 times to see the big one
That is a "normal" image from a camera properly aligned.
I suggest to use one of these DNG's for any discussion with DJI support as a reference, in case you get a bad copy.
2016-11-10
Use props
fredt59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164498 ft

I'm a french user of the DJI Mavic so please be kind with my poor english. I pre-ordered it on 09/27/16 and received it on 10/26/16. I didn't get much time to fly it since I received it more over I was expecting the firmware upgrade to be sure I would fly safe with the Mavic so I only gave it a try yesterday. I'm an amateur photographer and my main purpose with the Mavic is to do some aerial photography. I was very pleased with the flight capabilities of the Mavic and had encountered no problem during the flight session. Once back home I check the different shots I made and was surprised by their poor quality. Of course I was not expecting the same quality that my DSLR could offer but the shots were clearly not sharp on the borders especially the right one. Of course the gimbal cover was off as the clamp too and I center focused the shot thanks to the C1 button. So I decided this morning to put the Mavic on my sturdy tripod to be sure nothing could interfer with the quality of the shots and did some bricks wall shot. Unfortunately the shots I made just confirmed my first impression. Do you think I should send back the Mavic to DJI hoping to get a better copy? Here is some sample shots:
DJI_0025.jpg
DJI_0041.jpg
2016-11-12
Use props
spongedid
lvl.4
France

Retour a l'envoyeur direct (ou alors c'est un pb d'autofocus) !!!!
I guess, if everybody receiving a such crappy thing resend it, DJI will be convinced to improve (or implement...) an Image Quality control in production.
2016-11-12
Use props
ZyD
New

Ireland

Please check upper left corner i.e the roof and windows

DJI_0002.JPG
2016-11-12
Use props
spongedid
lvl.4
France

Omg...Visible even in small size. Not usable (for me). Rejected as well.
2016-11-12
Use props
fredt59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164498 ft
France

Hi everyone,
After contacting the support service and giving them the pictures from above, they tell me the camera might have a problem. I'm waiting to get the formular to get it back, I just hope I'll get a fine copy soon.
2016-11-14
Use props
fans730ba634
lvl.1

United Kingdom

After having my Mavic for two weeks I finally got to fly it (waiting on decent weather) and I'm disappointed to have also found out I have this issue on the right-hand side, gutted. I've sent an email to DJI and I suspect I'll get asked to return it for repair/replacement.
2016-11-26
Use props
fansd1794bdf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 223921 ft
Ireland

ZyD Posted at 2016-11-12 20:02
Please check upper left corner i.e the roof and windows

Did u got your unit repaired/exchanged yet?
2016-11-29
Use props
dlinnell
lvl.1
Canada

I have the same problem in my still images but on the left side. Yes - the plastic bubble is removed and yes, it's been focused to infinity before shooting. This sucks.
2016-11-29
Use props
ZyD
New

Ireland

fans730ba634 Posted at 2016-11-26 14:25
After having my Mavic for two weeks I finally got to fly it (waiting on decent weather) and I'm disappointed to have also found out I have this issue on the right-hand side, gutted. I've sent an email to DJI and I suspect I'll get asked to return it for repair/replacement.

Hi

You'll be fine once you get yours repaired/exchanged.
2016-12-11
Use props
ZyD
New

Ireland

fansd1794bdf Posted at 2016-11-29 22:42
Did u got your unit repaired/exchanged yet?

Hi

Just saw your message today, yes I got my camera+/-gimbal exchanged for free(under 6 months warranty) and tested few times already.
I must say the pics+videos are way better than before.The only problem now is aliasing/moire effect and very slight jello  so I'm awaiting for my filters to be sent out.
2016-12-11
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

Hi everyone,

I am the OP and have just gotten my replacement Mavic from DJI. They sent a brand new one (I was afraid they wouldn't do anything or they'd just mess with the camera, but no - best possible case happened).

The new camera is GOOD! No more blurriness, so I'm very glad I went through with the exchange and didn't settle for a defect. Here are some samples, which if you compare to the ones in the first post are blur-free (the first one is a DJI-taken photo, the rest are stills from a video).

I'm finally happy and this is definitive proof that Mavic's picture can be clear on all sides, not just in the center. If you have a problem with uneven blurriness in your camera, don't settle and demand an exchange.
2016-12-14
Use props
Double_T
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey all,

Received my unit yesterday and I was quite confused at the overall quality... This was taken in london and as you might guess, even though it was 1pm when I shot this, the light wasnt great and it probably induced a lot of grain. The internal degrainer that DJI embeded looks like the one you can find on phones, that's why it looks a little bit painterly (like a median effect for those who do image processing).

Anyway, point is, although the conditions were not optimal, my Mavic has the same problem. Look here on the right bottom hand corner, it's veeeeeery blurry :

I'll do another test picture with a printed checker I have laying around (I work in a digital effects company)
2016-12-15
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

Double_T Posted at 2016-12-15 10:08
Hey all,

Received my unit yesterday and I was quite confused at the overall quality... This was taken in london and as you might guess, even though it was 1pm when I shot this, the light wasnt great and it probably induced a lot of grain. The internal degrainer that DJI embeded looks like the one you can find on phones, that's why it looks a little bit painterly (like a median effect for those who do image processing).

Although I do agree that it looks like there is some softness, its not as conclusive as in the other samples in the forums.  You're right, the heavy processing by DJI is quite ugly.  None of the trees have any detail, no matter if on the right, or even on the left, which is why I say its hard to figure out how much softness there is.  What ISO was this shot at?  Your best bet is to reshoot, trying to shoot at ISO 100, and for sure shoot in DNG and just make your own JPEG with photoshop.  The results will be 100 times better.
2016-12-15
Use props
Double_T
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2016-12-16 07:00
Although I do agree that it looks like there is some softness, its not as conclusive as in the other samples in the forums.  You're right, the heavy processing by DJI is quite ugly.  None of the trees have any detail, no matter if on the right, or even on the left, which is why I say its hard to figure out how much softness there is.  What ISO was this shot at?  Your best bet is to reshoot, trying to shoot at ISO 100, and for sure shoot in DNG and just make your own JPEG with photoshop.  The results will be 100 times better.

Great suggestions, thank you Stewie.
This was actually a grab from an video. If it matters, presets are as follow:
Custom : -1 0 0
Grade : Art
2.7k 25fps
2016-12-16
Use props
josh5
lvl.1
United States

I am experiencing the same problem, its blurred on both edges, much worse than the images/footage you have provided.
2016-12-19
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

I've got exactly the same problem as you OP. Looks like I'll be applying for an RMA as well
2016-12-19
Use props
dCUfOcwi4nnk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73238 ft
Australia

It looks from an initial test that I've also got some major OOF issues with my Mavic Camera.

What do you guys think, is this a defective camera lens issue?
I had noticed it in general scenery/landscape images but figured the best test would be some 'brick wall' test shots.  These were taken parallel to the brick wall and I think there is some very clear softness/out of focus anywhere outside of the very centre of the image and in particular in the right hand side of the images.

All images have used centre focus prior to taking the images.

I'd really appreciate some feedback as to whether to take this officially to DJI for a warranty claim.

I am also going to print out some ISO 12233 test images at work tomorrow at A0 or A1 and pin to the wall to do a static tripod tests of the camera just be 100%.

2017-1-1
Use props
mavicme
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35738 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well gosh darnit.. i  have it too.  Purchased this from Best Buy.. I guess I can just return it and wait for a new one to come in or do an RMA w/ DJI.  Hmm, which route should I take?
2017-1-1
Use props
SBT1979
lvl.2

Spain

i just same problem the image not good in right area video...its incredible dji no response...if the firmware is no suficient? dji replace camera??? i have phantom 3 and i very happy...but mavic...seems a perfect dji horror...please, repair all issues with firmware and replace bad pieces. thanks.
2017-1-2
Use props
fans2a5b3e69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156509 ft
United States

Think my camera is having the samething. I have center focus bound to C2.

The left side is soft/blurred. If I tap to focus on the left side then the right side goes soft/blurred
2017-1-7
Use props
fansc0efe0a6
New
Flight distance : 41424 ft
United States

Archon810 Posted at 2016-12-14 11:40
Hi everyone,

I am the OP and have just gotten my replacement Mavic from DJI. They sent a brand new one (I was afraid they wouldn't do anything or they'd just mess with the camera, but no - best possible case happened).

Hi @Archon, how long did it take for DJI to issue the replacement? I've got the same problem, and a trip coming up in three days. I guess I'm taking the blurry camera for now
2017-1-8
Use props
Elly
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119446 ft
South Korea

I have same issue.
Right side is blurry.
Please, Check my video.
This is C4K 24frame

2017-1-16
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

Exactly the same issue I've got. I am now just waiting for a reply from support@dji.com
2017-1-17
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-1-17 04:51
Exactly the same issue I've got. I am now just waiting for a reply from support@dji.com

Let me know what you hear back from them as I've just got my mavic and notice that the right hand side is very soft.
2017-2-4
Use props
eagle_one
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129442 ft
Canada

Just flew my Mavic for the first time today and encounter the same problem with the bottom right corner of the photo/image

Will email to get a RMA.

2017-2-4
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

lachyb Posted at 2017-2-4 09:25
Let me know what you hear back from them as I've just got my mavic and notice that the right hand side is very soft.

mine has been collected and returned last week
they will confirm if everything is correct, like never crash...such and such,... they'll replace with new one
2017-2-13
Use props
TylarO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8593 ft
United States

Just received mine today and mine seems to have this issue as seen in this image. Bottom right is blurry. Guess i'll be emailing support.
2017-2-13
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-2-13 18:38
mine has been collected and returned last week
they will confirm if everything is correct, like never crash...such and such,... they'll replace with new one

I ended up applying for a refund and will order a new drone (going overseas and want it delivered there). Hopefully this isn't a problem with my next one!
2017-2-14
Use props
gnom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 716572 ft
United States

If anyone have this issue, dont fly around any more with your mavic and sent it back. Otherwiese DJI will say its your fault because of dust as in my case.
2017-2-14
Use props
evaldomain
New
Lithuania

Same problem. Received my mavic tested and got this blurry right side of image. contacted support got ups ticket. send mavic to dji and after 3 weeks waiting got replaced drone with diferent serial number. Tested it and now blurry image apears in other side not sure what i should do contact support again and wait or fly it with a defect and ignore it. Even if i contatc support again i am not sure i get quality item.
2017-2-14
Use props
Rafaocon
lvl.2
Spain

I am facing the blur problem too, but as you can see in my photos it is extrem when the problem happens. I am facing the same problem on the videos. Any soluton or must be sent to warranty service?

2017-2-14
Use props
Rafaocon
lvl.2
Spain

2017-2-14
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I've had the same issue. I opened a case with Dji. I'm pretty sick of the quality issues and decided to open a case with PayPal for a refund.im not willing to spend $1300 on an experimental product.while it's a great flying drone, it comes no way near the quality of the previous Dji drones. Video is the main reason I got this. If that is not going To work fine then no point in banging my head around with support folks who can't really fix this problem
2017-2-14
Use props
adx
lvl.1
Flight distance : 208606 ft
Russia

And AF doesn't work, right? You can fix it through re calibrate IMU and reset camera settings. Yep, that sounds crazy but it works. IMU calibration is necessary, i got exactly same issue and IMU calibration helps me, but it's not a permanent fix, problem goes  back sometimes.
2017-2-14
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Yikes..that's one of the worst picture taken by the mavic I have seen so far. Please open a case with Dji. The more people report this, the better luck we will have of getting some solution.
2017-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules