Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Pro washed out/blurry right side?
37550 212 2016-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Yikes..that's one of the worst picture taken by the mavic I have seen so far. Please open a case with Dji. The more people report this, the better luck we will have of getting some solution.
2017-2-14
Use props
fans0bfc3f44
New
United States

Same issue with mine, I did notice that if i flick the camera it will go back to being sharp.  But if the mavic makes a hard correction it will knock it out of place again.  Something is loose in there and have known this has been a manufacture error with something getting installed correctly.  I just havnt had a chance to send it back in because ive been using it everyday.  

So for a band aid fix for the moment try tapping the camera and see if it does anything to the image focus.

2017-2-15
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Same problem here. Very noticeable when I focus on the left or right side. Makes the opposite side blurry. Emailed DJI support today.

2017-2-19
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

My problem is the left side of the screen. Below is a screen grab from one of my many blurry video clips

2017-2-19
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-19 12:58
My problem is the left side of the screen. Below is a screen grab from one of my many blurry video clips

[view_image]

Have you tried focusing on the left side? I'm willing to bet that if you do it will cause the right side to go out of focus.
2017-2-19
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

geofox784 Posted at 2017-2-19 19:24
Have you tried focusing on the left side? I'm willing to bet that if you do it will cause the right side to go out of focus.

I usually focus using the c1 button, which is centre focus and if working properly should focus the entire frame.
2017-2-19
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-19 19:32
I usually focus using the c1 button, which is centre focus and if working properly should focus the entire frame.

I think the problem is caused by the sensor not being perfectly parallel to the lens. Similar to a tilt shift lens. Luckily DJI understands the problem so just shoot em an email and they should send you a UPS slip to get another in a few weeks or less.
2017-2-19
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.3
France

Hi guys.

Just received my Mavic 5 days ago.

I quickly noticed the right side, bottom, was not really crisp.
I did not pay more attention to this but I put my pictures on iPad and even if you can tolerate on IPhone, it is harder on iPad. You see it clearly.

So this morning I tried goggle to see what I could find about this problem and... I found a lot à pages about that.

I have investigated a bit more the issue and I really think, like some other guys here, that it is a problem of sensor/lens alignment. The soft part is more distorded than the opposite side and in the movie it is moving faster, as if we are at the really extreme area of the lens, where it becomes really bad (like all lenses become less efficient at extrem corners).

So I decided to check the camera itself. I thought first about a finger print on it, but ultra clean glass. Focus problem? I tested various solution.

So I tried to look at the lense and... well , I think it is obvious.

I took a shot with the extra macro Canon mpe65 and here what we have :

I think It clearly comes from this. As you see, the lense is de-centered on the left, and so you go with a problem on the right on the screen. Logical...

I think I am ready to send mine back but I found a lot of people with same issue after. A bit afraid of that. I think a simple look at the lens even with eyes is enough to know what is happening.
2017-2-20
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

Patrick G Posted at 2017-2-20 12:53
Hi guys.

Would you be able to draw on the picture showing the misalignment? Sorry but I can't see it....
2017-2-20
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.3
France

You don't see the lens is not centered at all?
2017-2-20
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

Ohh I was just looking at the lens itself to see if I could see something obviously off center inside. Assuming that the sensor is inline with the "outer plastic" (not sure how to describe it) then yup it is very off.
2017-2-20
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

Patrick G Posted at 2017-2-20 12:53
Hi guys.

Are you taking about this misalignment? I highlighted the two side in red lines.. I think that just looks like the lens no centered between the plastic. If there is some misalignment then that would have to be behind the lens and the CMOS censor of the camera, which i think you can really see through the lens.

2017-2-20
Use props
Citation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Covered under Warranty
2017-2-20
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.3
France

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-20 15:05
Are you taking about this misalignment? I highlighted the two side in red lines.. I think that just looks like the lens no centered between the plastic. If there is some misalignment then that would have to be behind the lens and the CMOS censor of the camera, which i think you can really see through the lens.

[view_image]

Yes, talking about this. Pretty sure the lens is not centered while the sensor probably is.
It is only 1mm or less perhaps , but it makes a big difference at the end.

Poeple with soft area should look at this position issue on their side
2017-2-20
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

Patrick G Posted at 2017-2-20 15:17
Yes, talking about this. Pretty sure the lens is not centered while the sensor probably is.
It is only 1mm or less perhaps , but it makes a big difference at the end.

Just checked mine and it looks visually centered, but I have the problem. Although it could be off enough that the offset is not visible to the naked eye. I doubt it takes much.
2017-2-20
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

Checked mine also. Looks pretty much 100% centered. I have blurred focus issue on the left side of videos.
2017-2-20
Use props
JimmyC
First Officer
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

My lens looks centered. Pictures and videos are slightly blurred on the lower right. I did fly today and took pictures and videos using center auto focus. Then I hit focus a little right and below center and the pictures and videos looked good.
2017-2-20
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.3
France

Thanks for the tests.

So my theory about lens centering is probably wrong if yours are 100% aligned. The idea of dissassembling the camera and center the lens came into my mind. Bad idea for the warranty, and bad news for replacement : if a simple look at the camera would allow to see the problem, we would have no risk to have a second unit with the same problem. Unfortunately, some receive a second one with the same problem ...
2017-2-20
Use props
Patrick G
lvl.3
France

So perhaps it is a parallelism problem between sensor and lens, as suggested.
Not sure DJI is testing replacement unit before shipping
2017-2-20
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

Here are some diagrams I threw togeather to try and explain what I think is causing this. I belive that the sensor is not perpedicular to the optical axis and thus not parraleel with the focal plane. A tilit-shift lens on a DSLR intentinoly does this to achive similar results. Simply a hardware problem that can't be resulved without replacing the camera.

Focus selected at center. Both edges of photo are slightly out of focus. Its also possible that one edge will be more out of focus than the other if the sensor is not coplanar (not perfectly aligned to center) or warped.

Focus selected on the left side of the photo. Now the left will be in focus, but the rest of the photo will be progressivly out of focus.

Focus selected on the right side of the photo. Now the right side will be in focus, but thes rest of the photo will be progressivly out of focus.

2017-2-21
Use props
PilotPat1
New
United States

Same issue DJI declined my request for replacement telling me my mavic wasn't properly activated (it was) so I returned it and bought another which ended up having the problem worse!! This is the dream tool for me and I'm really hoping this issue is being addressed!
2017-2-22
Use props
fansb7d801a0
New

United States

Don't expect this to be resolved with any confidence if you choose to send your drone in to get fixed.  Mine was not fixed after a two week repair.  It is slightly better, but not fixed.   I got back online with support hoping for a resolution other than sending my drone back AGAIN for a second time and praying they actually fix the blurry image.  At this point I have no confidence in this issue getting fixed.  DJI is provide viable resolution either.

Read through this 3 hour chat I just got done with.   

Ian Louis
hi there
09:34

Ian - Do you see this case # - CAS-419469-R6L5Y2

Ian Louis
ok ill go ahead and check your case kevin

The case is closed. I received my Mavic Pro back, but it is still not fixed properly. I'm really frustrated
09:35

You had it for two weeks. It is slightly better than when it left, but still has a Blurry/out of focus image in the lower right hand corner of the frame.
09:36

DJI_0022_Soft Right Corner.jpg

Second image is the original file. The first is the lower right hand corner of the frame. This was the first flight after receiving the drone back.
09:37

I need this fixed asap. This is unacceptable.
09:39

Ian Louis
have you try reset the camera kevin?

what do you mean?

Did you find the last case and read it? So you can see what the issue was?
09:40

And do you have documentation from the test flights you performed to see if the camera was sharp across the whole frame? Before you sent it back?

Since that was the original issue.
09:43

Ian Louis
im so sorry for the inconvenience kevin since i had reviewed your prevois case on our system the issue was not resolve so we would suggest you to send your drone back for repair
09:44

I can't go another two weeks without the drone. I need it. I already waited over two weeks for you to fix it the first time. Plus I purchased DJI care. I need a better solution than sending it back again!
09:50

Ian Louis
ok kevin we understand since we have tried all the possible issue sending the drone back is the only way to resolve this issue since this is a hardware issue, and it cant be resolve through a simple trouble shooting.

Ian Louis
i hpoe you understand kevin

can you send out a replacement instead of me having to send it back again? I need a working drone asap
09:56

Ian Louis
unfortunately we cant replace your mavic kevin because as per our policy.

Can you get a manager on the line?
09:58

I'm not confident it will get fixed right if I send it in again since it didn't get fixed right the first time and I don't want to be without it for another 2 weeks.

I need a better solution
10:01

Ian Louis
i do understand that kevin but since your drone came from our repair team unfortunately we can't process a replacement for your drone

What do you mean since it came from the repair team? I purchased the drone brand new?
10:03

I don't want a replacement as part of my DJI care, I want a working drone with a camera that works

does that make sense?

Ian Louis
when was the first time you activated your AC?

AC?

Can you look it up under my name?
10:06

Can you get a manager on the line?
10:08

Ian Louis
Aircraft
10:10

This is a known issue - https://forum.dji.com/thread-69767-3-1.html

Ian Louis
yes im looking on your recent case right now kevin
【System Message】Dear customer, the chat will be ended in 5 minutes if we don't receive a response from you.

10:13

Hello
10:16

Ian Louis
yes kevin can we process this for another repair?

I don't want to send it back in only to have it come back not fixed again and lose another 2 weeks of time. Do you understand?
10:17

Did you guys even test the camera after fixing it the first time to see if it was fixed?

And if you did test it, what did they do specifically?
10:19

Ian Louis
yes our repair team examined your drone before they shipped it out back to you kevin

So this blurry edge was acceptable to them?

then why should I send it back in?
10:20

Ian - do you have a manager on hand? I would like the following to happen: You send me a new drone that has been tested and has a sharp camera across the entire frame. when I receive it and properly test it for sharpness, I will send back this unit.

I can't waste any more time with this.
10:23

Ian Louis
unfortunately we dont have that process for that kevin

Please get your manager on the line
10:25

Ian Louis
im so sorry our manager is at the other line but dont worry kevin we will raise your case regarding your issue immediately

Who is your manager?

what do you mean you will raise my case?
10:27

Ian Louis
we will tell your problem regarding the case immediatley

tell who? So what is the plan?

I need details and a timeline.

What are you going to do?
10:35

Ian Louis
as per advice with my manager unfotunately the only solution for this is to send your drone back fto diagnose the prevous issue that is not resolved before
10:37

Ian Louis
however if you have a dji care refresh we can process a replacement unit under dji care refresh
10:39

If I sent it in for repair how quickly will it be sent back? Do you have an expedited service because this is the second time?
10:41

Ian Louis
it will be like in the same process for 2 weeks kevin becasue our repair team will diagnose it what is really the problem on the camera
10:43

Seriously? So you are telling me to sent it back in for another 2 weeks after I just sent it in for 2 weeks and you guys didn't fix it right the first time? And it may or may not get fixed this time I send it in, no guarantee

Did you tell your manager this is the second time? Ian - I need a better solution. Will you please get your manager online now.
With small additional charge, DJI Care Refresh offers up to two replacement units. Water damage is also covered! Purchase now

Hello, very glad to help you! What can I do for you?
10:46

Hello, who am I talking to?

hello?

MANAGER GETS ON THE LINE HERE:

Jason
Hi Kevin
10:47

Jason
I'm Jason

Hello.

Can you please read through the thread between Ian and I so I don't have to rehash it?
10:50

Jason
Oh okay Kevin, just a moment while i reread you chat history

Thank you.

It was started at 9:33
10:53

Jason
Okay Thank you for that Kevin
10:55

Did you read through it and look a the samples I sent? Also did you see the old case?
10:57

I've spent 8-10 hours on chats, phone calls, etc. with you guys at this point without a resolution; not to mention two weeks you had the drone to fix it yet it was unsuccessfully repaired.
10:58

Jason
Okay Kevin, I've read the chat history
【System Message】Dear customer, the chat will be ended in 5 minutes if we don't receive a response from you.

11:02

ok

Jason
Our procedure is to take the unit and get it to our center and process it back to you

Jason
But you want a different method

Jason
am i correct?
11:03

I want a drone that works asap since I already sent it back to you and it wasn't fixed properly. I don't really care about how that happens

What worries me more is that it was sent back to me but wasn't completely fixed.
11:05

So why should I send it in for another two weeks?
11:10

Jason
Yes, I agree, that was a blunder on our part,but for now, by sending it, we can process it again, and provide you the service you deserve

Have you read this case: https://forum.dji.com/thread-69767-3-1.html
11:12

Jason, I'm not confident it will come back to me fixed because of my first experience as well as I see other people have had the same result from your repair team (the issue not fixed when they send it back). Also, I need a better resolution than sending it for another two weeks. That is unacceptable.
11:16

Jason - who is your director?
11:19

Jason
just a moment Kevin, i was checking the forum link

11:23

ok

Jason
Sorry for that prompt
11:25

Jason
Thank you for that link Kevin
11:26

Jason
Sorry if they have lost your confidence, Kevin
11:27

Jason
But If you send it back to us
11:29

Jason
I will try to my best to make it into a high priority case and as well as an escalted case. to appease your disappointments

11:32

Jason - do you have a director above you that you can get online right now? I have very limited time left today (this chat has been 2 hours now). I need a better resolution. I need a fully fixed or new drone within one week max (returned to me by March 1st). I have a shoot next week I need this for.
11:35

If I send it to you today, will it be back to me by next week March 1st? Can you guarantee a one week turn-around (or Less)? Also, what is your plan to make sure the camera is sharp across the entire image this time? What type of quality control will you be doing? Will you be personally involved? Can you send me sample images from the camera after it is fixed?
11:39

hello
11:41

Jason
i apologize Kevin but we can't meet the one week max for your request
11:43

Jason
If you want to have call, to our superiors, you can contact us through +1 818-235-0789

okay. What is the fastest you can get it fixed? Can you guarantee it will be fixed right this time if I send it back in?
11:52

Jason
I cannot provide information as for the fastest, for what i can do is request for expedite and escalation, yes i can make a note to them to guarantee and fixed the issue
11:55

how much sooner does an expedited case move?
12:00

Jason
I'm unable to provide a definite number for that, for the center handles to procedure and neccesary processes

Jason
Sorry Kevin
12:02

oh boy.

so it won't be faster than two weeks?
12:08

Jason
I'm unable to promise you that

12:11

so after nearly 3 hours, I'm no better off.

what a waste of time.

Jason

HERE ARE THE ORIGINAL IMAGES (w/BLURRY, out of focus right side edge)
DJI_0062 copy-3.jpg
DJI_0062-11.jpg

2017-2-23
Use props
fansb7d801a0
New

United States

Here are the images again that go with the thread and Chat above:
Original Problem from brand new Mavic Pro:  (blurry right side of frame)
DJI_0062-11.jpg
DJI_0062 copy-3.jpg

Problem NOT fixed after 2 week repair - Lower right corner of frame still blurry and out of focus:

DJI_0022_Soft Right Corner.jpg
DJI_0022_150dpi.jpg

2017-2-23
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

Yeh chat with DJI is 100% guaranteed to lead you nowhere. I learnt that the hard way too.
2017-2-23
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

Going to receive my mavic replacement today and I am a bit of losing confident now since some cases of replacement, they apparently are not checked. Basically, they just brand new and hoping that batch is perfect....  
2017-2-23
Use props
fans9532de66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2433530 ft
Finland

Please, some one open that camera so we can see the problem and do diy fix My third mavic is comin soon :/
You can buy new camera at thunder-drones
2017-2-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

mcd0nald Posted at 2017-2-23 12:44
Going to receive my mavic replacement today and I am a bit of losing confident now since some cases of replacement, they apparently are not checked. Basically, they just brand new and hoping that batch is perfect....

Was it fixed?
2017-2-23
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-23 11:45
Yeh chat with DJI is 100% guaranteed to lead you nowhere. I learnt that the hard way too.

That sucks. At least he is going to escalate it or put a note on it so they may test it more.

Please post here to let us know if it is fixed after you send it back.
2017-2-23
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Australia

needed to redirect to my office address as noone was at home yesterday

*still waiting*
won't be able to fly it at least in the weekend as well

a bit nervous though.....cant afford to get 2nd lemon batch for sure
2017-2-23
Use props
eagle_one
Flight distance : 129442 ft
Canada

Mine arrived at DJI on Tuesday (same focus problem)..... so hopefully in 2 weeks I get my drone back..
2017-2-23
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.1
Australia

eagle_one Posted at 2017-2-23 20:35
Mine arrived at DJI on Tuesday (same focus problem)..... so hopefully in 2 weeks I get my drone back..

wow....only last Tue?
where are you located? if that is in Australia....I am afraid my replacement is from that 'batch" again!
2017-2-23
Use props
Info1769
lvl.1
United States

Spent close to 2 hours with online support today. I just submitted an online repair form for out of focus images and videos on the left side, hopefully mine gets repaired the 1st time around. Aside from having the left side of my images out of focus - intermittently I wasn't able to focus the camera at all! I was receiving focus confirmation, and focus peaking was working - but resulting images were all soft. Almost like a water color painting. Updating to the latest firmware, Calibrating the IMU and Gimbal made it worse. It took two camera resets to resolve the global focus issue, but then the issue reverted back to no focusing. Also did a factory reset to no avail!  Mindy, Ken, or Natalia! Can you please escalate this case for me?  
2017-2-23
Use props
kullerhamPster
lvl.1
Germany

Got mine replaced because of that issue, but the new one seems to have the same problem (though not quite as obvious)...
2017-2-25
Use props
poliakov
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94639 ft
United States

Gah. I got something that looks similar, but much more subtle.

Mine shows up as a very subtle blurry area in the bottom right corner. If I focus on that area, then the left becomes blurry. This is not something always apparent. If I'm shooting a body of water or a landscape or something - it will be hard to see. You have to look for it in a pattern-rich shot.

In a way, you can think of it as a "Free Tilt-Shift" effect that comes with the Mavic! ... :/ :/ The lens-not-parallel-to-sensor hypothesis appears to make the most sense. Possible workaround:
1. focus on the left
2. take a still
3. focus on the right
4. take a still
5. blend in photoshop
... Hey why not?

Mine is quite hard to notice - you have to be a bit OCD which, I'm guessing many imaging people are. I read stories of people replacing theirs and receiving a worse unit. Wonder what to do? Anyone send theirs in and get back a crisp and clear unit? Can you buy a replacement camera separately?
2017-2-26
Use props
VAS67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

I'm currently waiting for my second replacement to arrive from DJI for similar issues.
I've just seen this on youtube, if when my Mavic arrives and it's as good as this then I think I will be happy....

2017-2-26
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
United States

poliakov Posted at 2017-2-26 13:26
Gah. I got something that looks similar, but much more subtle.

Mine shows up as a very subtle blurry area in the bottom right corner. If I focus on that area, then the left becomes blurry. This is not something always apparent. If I'm shooting a body of water or a landscape or something - it will be hard to see. You have to look for it in a pattern-rich shot.

"1. focus on the left
2. take a still
3. focus on the right
4. take a still
5. blend in photoshop"

Sounds like a huge PITA....
2017-2-26
Use props
poliakov
lvl.1
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-2-26 14:01
"1. focus on the left
2. take a still
3. focus on the right

Ya I kno - I was saying that to make myself feel better. I'm not feeling better :/ I'm periodically opening up images and finding the blurry corner in them. It disappears from view,.. then it comes back... almost like a ... Phantom... (see what I did there?) Check it out.
Now you see it (follow the green railing with your eye, not the road markings too):

Now you don't. Maybe it's in the top-left corner now. We dunno:

2017-2-26
Use props
poliakov
lvl.1
United States

So - do I live with this or do I surrender my (otherwise beautiful) baby for two weeks and maybe get something better, or maybe something worse?
2017-2-26
Use props
poliakov
lvl.1
United States

This guy has a long blog about the same issue. He went through 3 Mavics, never hit edge-to-edge sharpness, decided to settle at number 3:
https://www.capedigital.com/journal/my-mavic-has-a-lens-issue
2017-2-26
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

hmmm crap I will need to check this as well, I believe might have the same issue!
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules