Osmo suddenly stopped working
2780 9 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4c669456
New

United Kingdom

Hi All,
I have a problem with my Osmo x3, it was working perfectly a month ago. Now it powers on for about 10 seconds and then goes off or just freezes on the Red lid. The battery was out when I left it last time. Is it a firmware issue? or what? I purchased it brand new from eBay (seller not individual).

Need help, please
Regards,
Ahmed
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2094.JPG
2016-11-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Did you happen to notice this after updating firmware?
2016-11-5
Use props
fans82a39c9b
lvl.1

Thailand

I have the same problem with the original version of the OSMO (Model OM160). I upgraded the firmware to OSMO_FW_V01.08.02.40 in early October and used the OSMO without any problems except that the battery was not connecting very well in the handle and I had to open the battery door and push on the battery to be able to turn the OSMO on.

Then yesterday I wanted to use the OSMO and it would start up ok with a green right-hand status LED and the gimbal would erect but then after only a few seconds the gimbal would collapse and at the same time the right-hand status LED turned to a continuous red colour and the OSMO is unusable.

The unit is only 7 months old and is still under warranty.

I have three batteries and have the same problem with all the batteries.

I chatted to support online today and the only advice they gave was to take a video of the problem and email to DJI support which I have done and now I am waiting for a reply.

I might add that this is a replacement OSMO that I purchased after the original OSMO I purchased would not initialise. I emailed DJI support about the fact that it would not initialise and I did even not receive an acknowledgement or reply to my email and 7 months later am still waiting!!! So I sent it back to the supplier and received a refund (replacement from the supplier was not an available option) and purchased a replacement.

The problems I have had with 2 OSMOs now raise serious doubts in my mind as to the reliability of OSMOs and the previous lack of reply from DJI Support seems to bear out the poor customer support (or in my case total lack of support) that other DJI customers have experienced.

I will update should I receive a reply from DJI support.
2016-11-7
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

Sounds bad.  With out the customer, very few business will survive.  On a side note, I just received a return email from DJI where I order the wrong screws and asked for a refund.  I was told to send the unused screws back and they would do a refund.  Simple things maybe get taken care of by DJI and the hard stuff, not so much?  Sorry for your problems.  I sounds like a contact problem.  Have you looked inside the battery compartment to see if the contacts are bright and shiny or not?  Perhaps they have some foreign material on one or more and they can't make a good connection.

-Rodger
2016-11-7
Use props
fans82a39c9b
lvl.1

Thailand

Rodger Marjama Posted at 2016-11-7 20:29
Sounds bad.  With out the customer, very few business will survive.  On a side note, I just received ...

Hi Rodger thanks for your comments - yes I have looked in the battery compartment and the contacts look ok but they may have become depressed too much with use so that now they don't contact well with the battery. I have also polished the terminals on one of my 3 batteries but this did not fix anything.

Jim
2016-11-7
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

I see.  About the only thing I can think is too much current/heat must have caused the contacts to lose their tension and ability to return to full height.  If so, they will need replacing.

-Rodger
2016-11-7
Use props
fans82a39c9b
lvl.1

Thailand

fans82a39c9b Posted at 2016-11-7 19:59
I have the same problem with the original version of the OSMO (Model OM160). I upgraded the firmware ...

Well, after 2 days I received an email reply from DJI Support as follows:

"Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

We are sorry to hear about your experience with our product and I will try my best to help you with that.

We thank with the detailed info you have provided and would you mind to do more troubleshoot. If it cannot resolved, it is suggested to send back to the service center to enjoy the warranty if it is checked as device defective issue and will get it checked and fixed. Please do not worry.

For the issue on the third paragraph and the fourth one, it seems that the battery having react now. For the solid red LED and soft gimbal on the video, would you please try the below instructions:

Firstly, please use 95% alcohol to wipe the copper sheet of the battery by cotton swab, please confirm that the alcohol is totally dry before powering on.

If no good luck, please continue to wipe the handle contacting the battery compartment by the same method. Please also make sure that the alcohol completely becomes dry and then try to power it on.
The below attached pic is for your reference, for which the copper is on the left and the handle on the right.

Here is a picture to show the places of them. [picture showed the contacts on the battery, the battery charger and inside the OSMO handle battery compartment]

I quite understand that you are hurry to solve the issue and let us make it by quick. If there is any inconvenience caused, we are sincerely sorry for that.

Cheers and I am looking forward to your response and feedback. We're always here to help.

Thanks for choosing DJI. Have a nice day! "

As I had already cleaned the contacts I took the OSMO to a service centre in Bangkok and they advised that they think that the main problem is a firmware problem and they have sent the handle back to DJI for repair which they said will take about 1 month :-(.
2016-11-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, it's the contact issue between the battery and handle. Sometimes you use your hand to hold the battery in place instead of closing the lid, the handle will start normally.

If it still doesn't work, you need to contact DJI, use online chat at www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send it back for an exchange. Thank you.
2016-11-9
Use props
fans82a39c9b
lvl.1

Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-10 14:15
Hi, it's the contact issue between the battery and handle. Sometimes you use your hand to hold the b ...

Hi Thor,

Thanks for your suggestions but I was already aware of the battery contact issue having looked through the forums and had got the OSMO to start by pressing the battery in but after what appeared to be a normal start the right hand LED would turn a continuous red and then the OSMO was useless.

As I said in my previous post a service centre in Bangkok has now sent the handle to DJI for repair.

I would hope that DJI have improved their design of the battery contact points as having a problem in a 7 month old unit is not good and I see online that many others have also had this problem as well - in my opinion this can only be caused by poor design. It seems to me that DJI should be doing a free recall of all OSMOs  which have similarly designed battery contact points fitted and replacing the contact points with better designed contact points.
2016-11-10
Use props
fans82a39c9b
lvl.1

Thailand

Another OSMO user has posted with the same problem here http://forum.dji.com/thread-76132-1-1.html.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules