Workaround for the "bad 1080p60 mode"
3504 22 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

For those still interested about the bad Quality in 1080p60 or the Absence of a 4k60 mode...
In my home forum it also was a big condern, personally i dont care much  but i received 3 videos shot in 30 Fps to demonstrate the 60 Fps  upsamling effects.
Here is a download of the original footage in 30 Fps (3 vids, 1 x 4k and 2 x 1080p) and the coresponding 3 upsampled videos.

I quite like it and none too obvious Interframe artifacts disturb me.
The videos themselves are no artwork, the guy basically stept out of his  house and did 3 shots for what i am thankful but dont mention the  COntents please :-)
He explicitley allowed sharing & uploading those videos and their 60Fps brothers...

Here they are:

------------------EDITED: Wetransfer dloads expired by now, if you have a problematic 30 FPS file you wanna share, PM me and i can download it, ocnvert it and give you a link and you can offer it here if you like -----------------------------

And again a YT link to the guide i followed with huge success, way down below is a similar yet easier to setup but harder to use approch.
This is the one i used:

I am certainly no "frame by frame" guy i just like the new improved  impression, comments are welcome (from those who watched the vids, not  "this cannot look good"

Greetings,

Nils

P.S. the conversion was done with Freeware only, namely svpflow &  Interframe plugins for Avisynth. After setup its a single click thing.                 

2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I'm on a Mac, so I guess Microsoft doesn't want this working properly for me.   

LOL, I tried to download it a few different ways, but it doesn't' want to do it!  I am interested in seeing this - any way to put it up on another server?  
2016-11-6
Use props
ferrari-458-ut
lvl.2

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-6 13:55

LOL, I tried to  ...

Yeah I can't download it either, I'm on Windows 10 so it's not a mac problem.
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 04:55

LOL, I tried to  ...

Actually i am on a Mac.
I just retried using Standard Safari (not Firefox that i usually use) and it works...

Hmmm clueless, what error comes up ?

Nils

P.S: may you try a different browser like Chrome or FireFox ?!
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

okay, strange. Maybe dloads exceeded, i will put it up elsewhere, give me a sec...
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Cool, I appreciate your time Nils.  I'm going to watch this on a 65" Curved Samsung Series 9, for reference.
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 05:19
Cool, I appreciate your time Nils.  I'm going to watch this on a 65" Curved Samsung Series 9, for re ...

Okay, next try, WeTransfer (that i hate otherwise :-)  )

https://we.tl/CSG9vTmr1f

Please let me know if that works

Nils
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

yep, it worked.  Gonna view it on the TV in a minute after I get it on a USB thumb drive...
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 05:29
yep, it worked.  Gonna view it on the TV in a minute after I get it on a USB thumb drive...

Great, hope you like it like i did.
I used to do that for my Yi4k Action cam and crappy but lovely Bebop :-)

Nils
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

OK, wow...  interesting.  The upsampled 1080p30 MP4's look 'maybe' a tiny bit better during super fast, nauseating pans.  You'll still barf though.

The upsampled 4k30 MP4 file would not play.  It was also labeled incorrectly as another 1080p60 Matroska file.

The regular 4k at 30fps video looked pretty darn good!  Looked higher than 30fps, but not quite 60fps if that makes sense.  Looks twice as good as any 4k Mavic YouTube video.
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

Oops, forgot to put that both of the 1080p30.mp4 files looked INCREDIBLE, as well.  Looked as good as Netflix 4k, for reference.
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 05:44
Oops, forgot to put that both of the 1080p30.mp4 files looked INCREDIBLE, as well.  Looked as good a ...

Ah you're right, the file 03 60 is labled as 1080 but IS 4k60  :-)
It plays fine here, downloaded and unpacked again to check.
May try a different player like VLC or the likes.

Actually its just one of the same, if the 1080p upsampled to 60 impress you then the 4k is just the same technique in higher res. Some players have difficulty with 4k mkv...

Nils
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

I'm just using the built-in player in the television.  I don't think it likes 60fps 4k files unless they are HEVC (H.265).

After watching the 4k video about 10 more times, lol, it seems the bottom-right corner has issues.  But that might be compression.  Seems this video has been further compressed, perhaps.  It looks good for what it is with the lighting, camera settings and a slew of other factors.
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 05:56
I'm just using the built-in player in the television.  I don't think it likes 60fps 4k files unless  ...

The source files are all from the Mavic without edit.
The guy just got it and is not "into" video right now but he was friendly enough to allow me to republish them.

So: no Quality content, it just acts as a sample.
You should watch the vids in comparison on a strong PC / Mac, for me (MacBook Pro 2016) the difference is striking, but i am very sensible to that kind of thing.
(Especially on the one looking down and yawing)

I did this to many HQ Videos downloaded from Vimeo as original file but i am not allowed to republish so i am really thankful STILL not having a Mavic myself...

Greetings,

Nils

P.S. and yes of course its recompressed. If it werent for the download i would have blown up the Bitrate much more. Here i multiplied the original Bitrate by 1.5...
For tests on good Material i go to 3.0 times the original Bitrate just for the heck of it :-)
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 05:56
I'm just using the built-in player in the television.  I don't think it likes 60fps 4k files unless  ...

Oops, and YES, DJI was unable or unwilling to use HEVC so there will be some players complaining about "having to cope" with 4k that is h.264...

Maybe thats something they can change later...

Nils
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

HA!  I messed up.  The Auto Motion stuff was turned on in the TV settings.  I turned that off & yes, IT IS APPARENT!  Nice job.  NOW I can see the difference in the 2 1080p framerates hahaha.

Also, the 4k looks sorta horrible now.  I guess this TV makes everything look all cherry no matter what with those settings on auto - makes sports & series look the best.
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 06:07
HA!  I messed up.  The Auto Motion stuff was turned on in the TV settings.  I turned that off & yes, ...

Yes, thats what i wanted to express: Watching oin TV is no good for judging Quality, as is watching on Youtube :-)

You giot that Mac, use it :-)

Nils
2016-11-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-11-6 14:05
Oops, and YES, DJI was unable or unwilling to use HEVC so there will be some players complaining a ...

I'm one of those.  HEVC would have been fantastic:  4k @ 60fps, smaller 4k files, higher 4k bitrate
2016-11-6
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-11-7 06:10
I'm one of those.  HEVC would have been fantastic:  4k @ 60fps, smaller 4k files, higher 4k bitrat ...

Hi !
I had some PM Feedback from OSX Users who had trouble playing the 60Fps videos.
Just dload 6 use VLC 2.2.4, shouldnt miss on any Mac :-)
Tested with Sierra, played flawlessly and showed the full improvement.

Cheers,

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3

Thie Method produces the same Quality 30 to 60 FPS conversion (as it uses the same filters) but is much easier to setup.
(Thx to BlueBudgieStudios for the Tip)

Greetings,

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

Updated first post, removed outdated links, offer sample conversion (short clips please) and renewed YT link to the Guide i favour.

Nils
2016-11-22
Use props
BoomStrike
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

This is a tough "Quality" call guys!

That is trying to see quality or comparisons on YouTube, there is just too many variables such as;

Proper video uploading protocol and connection speed, glitches, etc.
The constant evolution of what the video goes through and the manner its downloaded back to the viewer from Youtube.  
Throw in what your using  to look at it (PC or Mac).
What type of browser your using.
The viewers monitor (type) settings.
Connection speed and quality, etc.

The only way to see the difference is to use a professional high -rez monitor in a studio. If Possible, avoid using the Internet and YouTube for comparisons.

In the past decade or so of doing this stuff, I'm yet to have a client proof a shots quality on YouTube.

Just my Humble 2 cents!

Thanks Mike Mas
2017-6-19
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Germany

BoomStrike Posted at 2017-6-19 13:04
This is a tough "Quality" call guys!

That is trying to see quality or comparisons on YouTube, there is just too many variables such as;

Hi !
The proof is easy if you follow the guides. Its just the guides beeing on Youtube.
For proof we exchanged videos on file sharing sites and the like...

Grretings,
Nils
2017-6-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules