Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic acting up caught on camera(No RC response)(Owner joined forum)
123Next >
7616 114 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

So as I check videos every day on the Mavic... This guy posted another one.

But here we have proof while recording the remote RC input and how the drone acts up. He is in an open field and the drone is very close to him.

I'll sum up some of the things that happen in this video:

*Can not get it to land manually (stick full down, doing a 360degree spin, first time, then tries again, no response)
*Cannot get motors to start up with stick-commands
*While trying to land 2nd time, it starts turning while landing without that stick-input given
*Jumping up and down when trying to get it down.
*He talks about spinning when trying to bring it in. No response from RC when trying to spin/turn it himself using the RC.
*Spins at the end when just doing stick down to land

The issues start at after14min  look till the end for the 2nd landing that acts weird (26mins)
Love his quote at the end: "DJI Go Everywhere and act like a F-ing nutter when you are"

The best part is... Noone can say: Fly in a open field and try again...

PS: We are NOT talking about the tracking he does in the video, but the parts in between when trying to control the mavic.

Update 1: DJI-Ken asked to remove the video (from having th F-word in it) so it will not play on the forum directly.
Asked owner to create a shorter video with just the issues and beep out F-words.

Update2: Maximus created a new video with just the issues. So this video can be played and no F-words.

He recorded the replay: stick-inputs dont match real inputs. The recording "makes up" stick moves. Look especially at the landing at the end. The final spin.

2016-11-7
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'm wondering if there is any interference from the motorbike when he was on it? Or the metal guardrails giving interference to the signals, or maybe a little from both? As for using the follow me mode, or active track, I think he was going way to fast for it to keep up. I think he left so fast, it lost contact. If you can rule out all those possible causes, then it may show this Mavic is fine. Do the same in another iron free location.
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-7 21:30
I'm wondering if there is any interference from the motorbike when he was on it? Or the metal guardr ...

Not talking about the tracking and following. It is about the stick-responses. If this thing is SOOOO sensitive, then you can not fly anywhere with it, because our world is full of signals. So no, these things should not interfere.
2016-11-7
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7418 ft
United Kingdom

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-7 20:30
I'm wondering if there is any interference from the motorbike when he was on it? Or the metal guardr ...

Hi Nees,
As you are one of the first that has actual video proof of the weird mavic behaviour, you are in a unique position to test it further if you have time, and prove out some concerns.
Is it possible to eliminate more variables, and fly it without any potential interferences in the middle of a field somewhere, and see what it does.? You seem to struggle for GPS signal, but that should not cause the unit to spin on its own. Also, if you had no phone connected would it still do it? As I say you are in a unique position for further study!
I personally believe a lot of these issues are not pilot error and that there are some major problems to sort out, but as we are not hearing anything back from DJI or the unfortunate victims of any case that has been reported nobody has any idea.

Thanks for spending your time and sharing your video.
2016-11-7
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
Second Officer

United States

FINALLY, a smoking gun!  Following
2016-11-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I'm sure it's just pilot error. Yes, yes, yes, I know what you are going to say... It's on camera. But DJI says there is not problem, so it must be pilot error.

Just kidding...

Looks and sounds like what many others have described. hopefully, there will be some sort of firmware update coming. Still looks like the controller to me, and not so much the actual Mavic, unless it's something with the downward pointing sensors. If one Mavic can act like this, then they all can. Be careful everyone!
2016-11-7
Use props
tuerlich
New

Germany

maybe you could only fly in space with no interferences and even out there will be still satellites
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183537 ft

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-8 04:58
I'm sure it's just pilot error. Yes, yes, yes, I know what you are going to say... It's on camera. B ...

APOLOGIST ;-)
2016-11-7
Use props
GNE8uv8WWHt5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

Imagine that, another mavic with issues. Can't wait until I get mine so  I can turn around and send it back after waiting months to get it.  So how much longer are your customers going to be victims before u guys man up and admit there are several issues that need to be addressed before something really bad happens?
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

Repsolkid Posted at 2016-11-7 21:48
Hi Nees,
As you are one of the first that has actual video proof of the weird mavic behaviour, you ...

Lol, read the first line. It is not my video. I did ask the guy on Youtube check the DJI forum.
2016-11-7
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Nees Posted at 2016-11-7 21:08
Lol, read the first line. It is not my video. I did ask the guy on Youtube check the DJI forum.

Oh bollox, must read the manual or in this case just the first post!

Sorry, hope the OP shows up here
2016-11-7
Use props
Macstrax
lvl.3

United States

Not saying there are no issues, but shouldn't both flat sides of the antenna be pointing out. It appears that one is in and the other is out. Could that cause erratic response?
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.4

Thats great, no one can argue pilot error, "KP value" or compass not calibrated here.
WHy on EARTH does that take so long, DJI kept sending Test Firmwares to some of the mech error guys so they know something fishy is going on.
If one of thise Mavics going haywire hits a child DJI will be the new VW.

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a problem with aircraft/R/C that's nothing to do with bike I have often landed my P4 beside my car , it looked like it just wasn't responding correctly to stick movements particularly left stick,
It could also be cable problem as some have thought.
2016-11-7
Use props
ChuckNBlades
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85489 ft
United States

The pilot error part would be him having stick problems and not landing immediately.  He even keeps flying toward himself.  Well, he's wearing a helmet, so I guess that's good.  
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.4

ChuckNBlades Posted at 2016-11-8 05:31
The pilot error part would be him having stick problems and not landing immediately.  He even keeps  ...

Yeah, thats true, but if things go this way and you cannot land as stick down is not working, who can blame him for some not-perfect decisions...

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

Macstrax Posted at 2016-11-7 22:20
Not saying there are no issues, but shouldn't both flat sides of the antenna be pointing out. It app ...

You will loose Signal DB. But should not be doing things that you are not sending out.
Also, when landing, it goes down, but then stops responding to land. Then he sends command to land by swiping, so that signal did go trough the RC also. Same for taking off. It does not respond to sticks, but does when telling the craft to lift off by using the action on his phone.
2016-11-7
Use props
symbol
lvl.4
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

Macstrax Posted at 2016-11-7 21:20
Not saying there are no issues, but shouldn't both flat sides of the antenna be pointing out. It app ...

Edited as I'm talking rubbish (as usual)
2016-11-7
Use props
Finnkc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 354603 ft
Canada

Interesting. I'll be following this, as I am waiting on my Mavic to ship sometime before ... well who knows really. But anyway thanks for posting.
2016-11-7
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Just posted this on his vid, in the hope he will come and post some info He seems sensible, he's a biker afterall

Hi Buddy, Few people having issues like you. would be good to get yours documented with the DJI forum support folks, they will  ask you to do a flight log dump from your RC and Mavic.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-71251-1-1.html  <--- someone has saw your vid and posted on the forums for you

p.s. Your antennas arent pointed correctly, but i dont think that would have caused your issues, i think its the VPS System
2016-11-7
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

This motorcycle guy had no problems doing tracking:

2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-7 23:15
This motorcycle guy had no problems doing tracking:

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING! It is NOT about tracking problems. Please remove the video as this is irrelevant. Pls stay on topic!
2016-11-7
Use props
bighi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

There are issues there for sure. If I were to receive mine today, I would not fly it until the issues are solved. They are there and it would take a heck of a lot of cool aid to not see it.
2016-11-7
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.4
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don't want one anymore!.
2016-11-7
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

Nees Posted at 2016-11-8 09:17
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING! It is NOT about tracking problems. Please remove the video as this is i ...

I watched the original video. They guy was stumbling around the controls of the Mavic like a blind man, and really who knows how he set up his drone, his phone, or his Go software. His video was not a persuasive demonstration of anything. The videos I posted showed the guy quite carefully configuring his setup, including tracking, unlike the original video, and hence having a problem-free Mavic session, so they are a relevant counter-point.
2016-11-7
Use props
symbol
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Come on DJI-Ken, Tahoe Ed etc, this is worth your input surely!? Regardless of batteries 100%, metal objects within 10m or whatever, surely this shows an issue?
2016-11-7
Use props
4wd
First Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-7 22:37
I watched the original video. They guy was stumbling around the controls of the Mavic like a blind ...

It clearly shows no response to what he does with the sticks - when it was working OK at first.
There is clearly a serious issue with some of these units.
2016-11-7
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Looks to me like obstacle avoidance might be playing a part at times. ie when it is beeping at 25:15 as he tries to descend over the fence. There is also a powerline close by, visible in his footage so maybe EMI too.
Be interesting tn see had he put it in sports mode or  disabled obstacle avoidance how it would behave.  Was flying mine in a confined office yesterday in tripod mode and it was preventing me from descending due to nearby desks. As soon as I disabled obstacle avoidance I regained full control.
2016-11-7
Use props
Repsolkid
lvl.1
United Kingdom

No, unfortunately I have added 6 months to my waiting time now myself.
Pretty disappointing, but the longer DJI take to come forward and accept there are big issues the longer this is going to take to fix.
Hopefully this is why the shipping was slowed to resolve these concerns on future productions models. Who knows

Glad this forum exists tbh, it has helped me and I am sure many others to make educated buying decisions.
I just feel so sorry for those dealing with the problems on their new drones.
2016-11-7
Use props
XDfh2UKILeWX
lvl.1

United States

I stick around hoping for reasons to substantiate that I didn't make a mistake by cancelling my order.  Sooooooo glad I cancelled. If I would have had $1000 invested in this and feeling the level of frustration this guy had at the end of the video, I'd have hated myself for sticking with this purchase.

Mark my words, production on the Mavic will be halted indefinitely.
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-7 23:37
I watched the original video. They guy was stumbling around the controls of the Mavic like a blind ...

Clearly you don't get it and don't read the forum often.

The aircraft should then respond to his "stumbling" controlling, that it is not doing or how do you explain it spinning down when lading it? Turning left and right very quick when just hovering? or just doing stick down and it does a 360 at the same height. /sarcasmon Yeah... It is user error... /sarcamsoff

But thx for your input.
2016-11-7
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea there was definitely a lot of user error going on, but the Mavic not responding to controller commands is greatly concerning.  As far as I know a bad compass calibration can't cause that.  
2016-11-7
Use props
symbol
lvl.4
United Kingdom

method007 Posted at 2016-11-7 23:01
Yea there was definitely a lot of user error going on, but the Mavic not responding to controller co ...

Respect to you sir!

Have you seen this one too? (4mins 30sec and 8min 40sec in particular)

2016-11-7
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

XDfh2UKILeWX Posted at 2016-11-8 06:46
I stick around hoping for reasons to substantiate that I didn't make a mistake by cancelling my orde ...

Cool - You cancelled. Good for you. Now please quit trolling the forums since you are no longer a Mavic customer.
2016-11-7
Use props
fansf5f2d564
lvl.1

United States

To the people asking about antennas, is that really a consideration given the proximity?  I would expect that to not be an issue until the uav is quite some distance from the controller.  At least with my phantoms it's not been a concern at all even at many hundred feet.  I understand how the signal radiates from the antenna, I just have never actually encountered an issue unless the craft is actually becoming hard to see.  (just in terms of distance from me)
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Belgium

Great explanation from this guy. EXACT same issues.

I also don't really feel like buying one anymore (I'm on a list at some stores) till something happens about these problems. Or they admit there are hardware issues (and recall) or they admit it is software and tell people not to fly till further notice and extend everyones warranty during the "no-fly" period...
2016-11-7
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

fansf5f2d564 Posted at 2016-11-7 23:08
To the people asking about antennas, is that really a consideration given the proximity?  I would ex ...

Exactly, its not the best orientation the guy setup but it shouldnt effect anything at that range. im fairly convinced the vps system is twitching out somehow. flight log data needed i think
2016-11-7
Use props
qMvQTfjUrm4z
Second Officer

United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-11-7 15:20
Exactly, its not the best orientation the guy setup but it shouldnt effect anything at that range. ...

Interesting hypothesis.  Here's another one.  I wonder if the deck is confusing the VPS.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=421841
2016-11-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

The 1080p/60 that the video is shot in looks GREAT!  Well, the 60fps from the GoPro on his head or wherever.  It's really apparent with the Picture-in-Picture.

This looks like that same sticky stick issue previously reported by others.  This entire video is all the same problem.  When adding deflection to the sticks and releasing, it's fighting the rogue stick inputs we've all observed in the logs previously. He never resets the important devices (phone & R/C) and continues flying.  DUMB choice.

IN DETAIL:
Anyway, after about 14' when he grabs the controller, he never cancels the ActiveTrack (Spotlight).  Perhaps Mavic is frantically looking for the subject, can't find it, goes into withdrawal or something.

The Jeep needs power steering fluid like it's some huge mystery what that sounds like.

After that first part where it was not "acting right," he should have done a complete troubleshoot - perhaps at home with more time.  You don't keep using it if it is clearly malfunctioning.  Seriously, WTF?  So many stories like this where it does something completely crazy, but oh well...  Let's keep flying it anyway!  LAME.  NOT RESPONSIBLE.

The app and R/C never got reset or power-cycled during his battery swap out.  That's bad procedure after experiencing ANY strange behavior like this.  Again, troubleshooting in its most basic form.

After the battery swap (so I'm at 19' now), it's got 15 satellites but shows only 1 bar and "Cannot take off" along the top.  Yet he still performs CSC multiple times - DUMB.  Still, troubleshooting never occurs to him!  It's unreal.  At which point would YOU stop...  Analyze...  Troubleshoot???  VPS appears to be INOP, but again, let's do CSC again.  Immediately after swiping, it goes from GPS to N/A to TakeOff in the mode.  What is N/A?

Hahaha, OMG...  So after THAT he rides off a mile from a hovering, unsupervised, malfunctioning aircraft...  I'm not sure continuing to watch the video to help analyze this helps at this point.  Seriously, it's difficult helping people when you see this.
2016-11-7
Use props
symbol
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Why is it people seem so keen to find fault in every other drone flyer but keep losing track of potential issues with the actual product? I don't want to set off on an argumentative tangent but seriously, if there's not an issue with the Mavic then at least explain what the cause of the multiple "user errors" is specifically so us folk who are concerned can avoid it!
2016-11-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules