Mavic seeing the Sun as an obstacle?
797 1 2016-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TuTWOffiQHRm
New
United States

Flew my Mavic this morning at a local RC area. One other Mavic pilot there and a Phantom 3 pilot. It was about 9:30 a.m. Pacific Time, and the Sun was about 25 degrees above the horizon to the East.

I flew my Mavic about half a mile out at a relative elevation of about 70 meters (~229 feet).  As I was flying back the Sun was directly in front of the Mavic.  It continually gave me Obstacle warnings. I tried increasing and decreasing elevation but the warnings and stopping continued. Finally, I rotated it 180 degrees and flew it backwards all the way back to the LZ, and the obstacle warnings ceased.

The other Mavic Pilot ran his out about half a mile out at about 100 meters (~328 feet)  relative elevation, also roughly due West, and then turned on RTH.  His Mavic made it about half way back then started giving obstacle warnings.  As it got closer to the LZ it began climbing until it hit the ceiling, but it wouldn't get closer. He had to take manual control to land it.

I then tried my original flight characteristics in terms of elevation and distance but on a vector toward the Sun, then hit RTH, it returned and landed without incident.

We are hypothosizing that the Mavic is mistaking the bright sunlight as an obstacle, but I'd like others to confirm if they've seen similar phenomenon.
2016-11-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please post a screenshot here with the "Obstacle warnings" on the APP? thanks.Because of the strong sunlight, aircraft will consider there is an obstacle, to keep its safety, it will stop going forward.

O.png
2016-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules