Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Pro Controller Fan Noise?
12084 27 2016-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
astolpho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42543 ft
United States

Hi everyone,

I just had a quick question for those who have the Mavic and have been playing with it.

When flying the quad, there's always a noise, like a fan, coming from the controller. Is that normal? I don't remember the P3 Controller having any noise so I'm double-checking..

When you take a video or picture with the App it doesn't matter because sound isn't recorded anyway, but when you do a Live Streaming to either YouTube or Facebook that I tried, you always have this hummmmm from the fan on the background.

Just checking if it's normal.

Thank you,

Rafael
2016-11-11
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft

There's a small fan within the remote controller? I did not know this. Does this fan turn on the moment the remote's turned on? or does the fan turn on after a while? I'm aware that there's obviously a fan in the drone itself, which is probably quieter than the one in the Phantom 4.

Given the smaller size of the remote, less breathing room, and the newer and higher-performance OcuSync transmission tech it uses, I suppose it's important to have the fan in there, so it's normal. The RC also has small heat intake grille-holes on the rear of it's casing, I've noticed that in YouTube videos and pics.
2016-11-11
Use props
astolpho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 42543 ft
United States

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-11-12 05:29
There's a small fan within the remote controller? I did not know this. Does this fan turn on the mom ...

Yep, I can definitely hear it. It's not that loud and it's ok for the fan to be there, I just want to make sure I don't have a defective controller from the fan not turning off at all..
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Not to worry as it's totally normal.
The cooling fan in the aircraft and RC will come on after a few minutes of being powered on.
2016-11-11
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4

I'd say that's a good thing that a fan's even been put in there in the first place. If the fan never switches itself off after the remote controller's been powered off then there may be something wrong. I don't know if the fan stays on for a while after the RC's been powered off, that'd be a good idea just to keep things cool after use. That is if the remote has some sort of temperature sensor somewhere inside of it, but probably not.
2016-11-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

You learn something every day. I've read the manual twice and never came across anything that says there is a fan inside the remote. Guess I'll read it again.
2016-11-11
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4

What happens if the fan in the remote controller fails to work later on down the line while in flight? I highly doubt the remote would just break down within minutes. The fan's probably just been put in there as a small precaution.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-12 05:41
You learn something every day. I've read the manual twice and never came across anything that says t ...

The manual probably doesn't mention it or the fan in the aircraft.
It's an instructional manual on how to operate the aircraft and use it's features, not a manual on how it's built.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-11-12 05:45
What happens if the fan in the remote controller fails to work later on down the line while in fligh ...

If the fan fails (highly unlikely) contact support and it will be repaired, that's what the warranty is for.
2016-11-11
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 16:46
The manual probably doesn't mention it or the fan in the aircraft.
It's an instructional manual on ...

Thanks Ken, I'm still going to read the manual again. In fact while waiting for my Mavic, I'll be re-reading the manual once a week.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-12 05:49
Thanks Ken, I'm still going to read the manual again. In fact while waiting for my Mavic, I'll be  ...

That's awesome, it will make you a much better pilot and I can promise you that.
Also in the Academy of the GO app along with the manual, watch all the tutorial videos as well.
And thanks again for taking the time to try and learn all you can about the Mavic before your first flight.
2016-11-11
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Ken, just curious, does the fan inside the mavic even turn on during flight? Or does it just activate while on the ground not moving?
2016-11-11
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4

Mir Posted at 2016-11-12 06:19
Hey Ken, just curious, does the fan inside the mavic even turn on during flight? Or does it just act ...

I'm fairly sure that the fan within the Mavic Pro switches itself on shortly after the aircraft is powered on.
2016-11-11
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Mir Posted at 2016-11-11 22:19
Hey Ken, just curious, does the fan inside the mavic even turn on during flight? Or does it just act ...

The fan will be like a thermostat in a car etc .. it turns the fan on when a sensor detects the heat to be at a certain range, then will stop when it gets below that range.

it's automatic, and there to cool the components when needed, weather its flying or not.
The controller will be the same, although, you'd hope that the controller never flies ...
2016-11-11
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Only reason I ask is because it sounds like the fan inside the Mavic is a pretty decent air mover. I wonder if it has much effect on battery life. So might be interesting to do a battery life test in hot vs cold weather
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Mir Posted at 2016-11-12 06:19

I'm sure it would in hot weather and hovering for an extended period of time.
It may even turn on in cool weather while flying. I wouldn't worry about it, just go out and fly and enjoy it.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Mir Posted at 2016-11-12 10:46
Only reason I ask is because it sounds like the fan inside the Mavic is a pretty decent air mover. I ...

I don't know what the amp draw is, I'm sure someone will dissect one some day to find out all they can.
2016-11-11
Use props
echoz
lvl.1

Malaysia

I'm curious. Happen to my remote as well.

Is this the sound we are referring to?
2017-1-6
Use props
fans9ce26748
New

United Kingdom

Does everyone else's mavic fan kick in at high speed when sitting on and stationary? (The one in the drone not the controller?) I realise things are warm in there but it seems excessive and draining the battery unnecessarily.
Like most I watched loads of YouTube clips prior to purchase of people with mavics turned on and Never once noticed the fan noise (which is quite loud!)....are they edited?
2017-1-31
Use props
lachyb
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans9ce26748 Posted at 2017-1-31 04:48
Does everyone else's mavic fan kick in at high speed when sitting on and stationary? (The one in the drone not the controller?) I realise things are warm in there but it seems excessive and draining the battery unnecessarily.
Like most I watched loads of YouTube clips prior to purchase of people with mavics turned on and Never once noticed the fan noise (which is quite loud!)....are they edited?

Mines the same. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet but just had someone from the online chat tell me that there is a "subtle fan" inside the mavic that turns on. Mine is definitely more than subtle and I was told to email a helpdesk.
My controller also makes the high pitch noise from the video above so assuming that's a normal fan.
2017-2-4
Use props
Bill.kryzak
New
Flight distance : 390531 ft
United States

My controller fan buzzes like this from the moment the fan starts up... its really annoying.   Go to 5:40 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHQSLgz1hA&feature=youtu.be&t=349
2017-3-25
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

My race drones have tiny standard resolution video transmitters that maybe reach 100 yards or so and they get too hot to hold if powered up and just sitting .The Mavic controller has a radio transmitter that can reach up to 4.3 miles . The Mavic itself has a HD video transmitter than can reach up to 4.3 miles . They need a fan !      
2017-3-25
Use props
Cyrille1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75807 ft
  • >>>
France

Bill.kryzak Posted at 2017-3-25 09:40
My controller fan buzzes like this from the moment the fan starts up... its really annoying.   Go to 5:40 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHQSLgz1hA&feature=youtu.be&t=349

Same "problem". i think all mavic pilots had this, exact ?
2017-4-18
Use props
fans9e78647c
New
Flight distance : 4501 ft
Switzerland

echoz Posted at 2017-1-6 16:07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVoxd8o_2pU

Hi there, i am having the same problem as in the video... as soon as the van inside the controller start to blow, you hear it very clear in the video and thats annoying. is this normal or do i have to send the controller in? can i actully send it in from switzerland?
2017-4-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Yes that noise is the fan in the controller.  However, your video demonstrates one method of stressing that fan more than usual.  Notice when you twist it fore and aft, you get a tinny sound, almost like a grinding.  It sounds like you could have a minor fan blade alignment issue that causes it to get too close to some other component when stressed perpendicular to the axis.
2017-4-30
Use props
FieldPivot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417530 ft
United States

Seems to be quite common,  wondering how long they will last.   here is the fan which is inside, thnking of buying one inthe event it bombs out.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-00B0-00EP8

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.23.45 PM.png
2020-4-25
Use props
FieldPivot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417530 ft
United States

FieldPivot Posted at 4-25 17:22
Seems to be quite common,  wondering how long they will last.   here is the fan which is inside, thnking of buying one inthe event it bombs out.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-00B0-00EP8

Here may be the better route.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Drone/DJI-Mavic-Remote-Controller-Bottom-Cover-Assembly/IF370-060?o=1
2020-4-25
Use props
Mini User
lvl.4
Flight distance : 416854 ft
Germany

Hi guys,

ive just recieved my replaced M2P wich had an gimbal motor issue. And now am very unhappy. it seems that the replaced drone and so the controller has a new fault.

when i turn on the controller the fan starts to ramp up quite fast, thats not an issue for me, but the noise is definitely way louder than on my old controller...
the noise stays the same when i move the controller so the fan does not seem to be very loose, but loose enough to produce a loud high pitched noise...
had someone the same issue ?

@DJI please dont let me send in the whole drone again. 1st one a recieved had the gimbal issue on day 1, waited 6 weeks due to Covid 19 to get an replacement and i realy dont want to wait another 6 weeks for an other replacement. possibly with an other defect... please send me an new controller, i will send in my faulty one as it arrives... will start a ticket tomorrow.

may you all have better luck than me!
2020-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules