Crooked horizon.
3540 16 2016-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Karjar
lvl.1

Canada

so i have calibrated the gimbal but still horizon is always off..Pulling photos into OSX photo app shows corrected horizon is always a 1 degree correction..on videos as well

any suggestions?

crooked horizon

crooked horizon
2016-11-12
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft

Press C2 on your RC and while holding C2, Scroll your Settings dial to adjust Gimbal Roll to correct the Horizon.
Be aware, there is a firmware glitch, that also changes Brightness while correcting the Horizon.
2016-11-12
Use props
1efishinsea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

My mavic has this horrible problem and most of the videos i watch have some of this going onto, I just did a 2.5 mile flight out in the ocean so 5 miles round trip, but im to embarrassed to upload it because the horizon looks beyond terrible !
2016-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Karjar, have you tried to adjust gimbal roll?
2016-11-12
Use props
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft
United States

This needs to be addressed for sure, you shouldn't have to manually adjust the horizon with the controller, that's the job of the gimbal.  This needs to be fixed  Dji Mindy
2016-11-13
Use props
Karjar
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-12 23:57
Hi Karjar, have you tried to adjust gimbal roll?

Not yet, maybe today..But of interest, I recalibrated the gimbel on a surface that was perfectly flat as measured by a level. when done it showed the gimbel was -0.1. So will see today when I fly what that results in.
2016-11-14
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Could calibrating the IMU first and then calibrating the gimball, followed up by resetting the camera help with this  issue?
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-14 23:37
Could calibrating the IMU first and then calibrating the gimball, followed up by resetting the camer ...

Yes, that should help but you must be on a flat surface.
And if correcting the gimbal roll if needed and then it persists to roll again then please contact support and send the aircraft in for evaluation.
2016-11-14
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Hmm, I might have to give this a try too as mine isn't always level. Usually a degree or so out.
2016-11-23
Use props
fans31569033
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47549 ft
United States

My P4 had the drifting issue and required a repair which was painful, the waiting to get a brand new bird with 2 flights on it to come back sucked!

I have a Mavic now and it is showing crooked too. I tried the C2 roll adjustment shortcut and noticed the exposure changing so I assumed the roll wasn't moving. This is the first I've seen anywhere about a firmware issue. I thought the feature was missing or removed (scratching my head in bewilderment). It sucks that there si the firmware bug for that though, adjusting the roll can happen a couple times per flight in my experience. Having to adjust exposure multiple times can make matching clips tough.

I'll have to try the shortcut again and see if it works for me.
2016-12-25
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans31569033 Posted at 2016-12-25 13:22
My P4 had the drifting issue and required a repair which was painful, the waiting to get a brand new bird with 2 flights on it to come back sucked!

I have a Mavic now and it is showing crooked too. I tried the C2 roll adjustment shortcut and noticed the exposure changing so I assumed the roll wasn't moving. This is the first I've seen anywhere about a firmware issue. I thought the feature was missing or removed (scratching my head in bewilderment). It sucks that there si the firmware bug for that though, adjusting the roll can happen a couple times per flight in my experience. Having to adjust exposure multiple times can make matching clips tough.

Since the latest firmware update, the C2 wheel combo no longer works. The only way to currently adjust it is to go into the settings and manually do it.
2016-12-25
Use props
fans31569033
lvl.2
United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-26 08:58
Since the latest firmware update, the C2 wheel combo no longer works. The only way to currently adjust it is to go into the settings and manually do it.

WHAT!!!! I sure hope that this was by mistake and not removed on purpose. Can someone at DJI please confirm that this is going to be restored in the next update?
2016-12-25
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I thought all Mavics end up with a crooked horizon after a bit of flying, especially if flown fast left or right, the gimbal never really recovers. Seems like a very common issue.

I tend to just correct in editing.
2016-12-26
Use props
AGLyons
lvl.2
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-12-26 22:04
I thought all Mavics end up with a crooked horizon after a bit of flying, especially if flown fast left or right, the gimbal never really recovers. Seems like a very common issue.

I tend to just correct in editing.

It's possible, but the issue we are concerned with is the shortcut to correct the gimbal roll. I can't see DJI taking that function out on purpose but it no longer works. Normally, holding down C2 and spinning the exposure wheel would roll the gimbal and let you straighten it out, even while you are in flight. It is a real time saver and super handy to use when compare to where it's buried in the menus.
2016-12-26
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

It didn't work for me after updating to the last firmware (not the very current version), but IIRC it worked before that. It was daft anyway because it also changed the exposure comp. We need more people to request it be fixed. In the DJI GO Apps (both of them). Or actually just fix the bloody gimbal. When doing active track you've got no chance to correct it via the remote, as I found out on my Active Tracking test video.

Come on DJI
2016-12-26
Use props
fansb82a3734
lvl.1
Australia

Just adding to the voices here. Crooked horizon on the mavic is definitely an issue. I've tried perfect calibrations however this doesn't resolve it. Although you can manually adjust the gimbal roll, this is only useful for a straight shot (essentially). Once you turn again, the tilt will be out either in another direction or by X degree's.
It sounds like this is a widespread issue which gives me a level of comfort in that it will be resolved.

DJI Ken - What I'd like to know is if DJI are working to correct this issue if it's as simple as a new firmware update. If so, I'm sure some of us would rather wait a short period for a resolution, rather than having to send it in for warranty repair. Should I kick off a support request, or is there hope on the (tilted) Horizon?
2016-12-26
Use props
SeanOzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612405 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have a similare issue, yesterday it was much worse. i have calibrated the camera using the dji assistant 2 app on my mac.  that seems to have gotten the gimbal to stay in place for the most part. however i think it's at +5 if i recall to have it straight. i do get a weird gimbal roll in flight if i yaw quickly one way or another.  i'll try and get a video together today to show what i mean.

i plan to to do an imu calibration next and then a camera one a 3rd time using the go4 app. hopefully between them all it will help. so far they have seemed to at least make the crazy glight in the camera i was having go away, still need to test more today to be sure.
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules