Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic just bricked mid-flight after several successful
12Next >
6330 46 2016-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

I have browsed these forums for quite some time and I have seen all of the fly-aways, crashes, etc. posts and have always wondered about them because I have never had a single issue with any of my DJI drones. I have owned a Phantom 1, Inspire 1, Phantom 4, and now the Mavic.

I got the Mavic about 3 weeks ago and have been flying it alot. Many successful flights. I've been so amazed by it so far. Today I was doing what I thought was one of the simplest shoots with the Mavic. In my backyard, where I have flown all of my drones many times, hovering around our trampoline as I filmed my kids jumping around. 7-8' off the ground hovering, maybe a slight push forward or backwards for effect. About 10 minutes into the filming the Mavic just dropped. My hands werent even on the sticks at the time. Fortunately not above the trampoline, but outside of it. Even though there isnt much too visible damage to the Mavic from the short fall, it no longer powers up. The battery powers up, the controller powers up, but the drone never powers.

I have sent in a ticket to DJI so now I guess I just wait to hear back. Bummer, as we are heading to Mexico next week and I wanted to take it. On the bright side, I am just happy it happened the way it did and not when it was out away from me and out of my control. No one got hurt, no property damaged, etc. Could have been so much worse.

One thing to note... I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version before the flight. Upgrade said successful just like any other firmware upgrade.

2016-11-13
Use props
Maveric
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you say 'just dropped' what do you mean? Did the props stop spinning? It sounds as though whatever is stopping it from powering up actually happened mid-flight which caused it to stop rather than the impact with the ground causing it not to power on now. Also, what did it hit - grass?

As you said, lucky really but gutted for you that you won't get to take it on your trip.
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Exactly. I'm pretty sure the impact had nothing to do with it not powering up now. Yes, the props stopped spinning. It basically just lost all power and dropped. Yes, it landed in the grass,
2016-11-13
Use props
Maveric
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bummer. It'll be interesting to find out what it was once it's been in under warranty.
2016-11-13
Use props
Crusader
lvl.2

Tuff luck ROROFLIX,

Stupid question maby, but did you try a different batterie after cooldown of the Mavic?
Some batterie issues here to http://forum.dji.com/thread-71909-1-1.html
2016-11-13
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

I could only imagine that it is some kind of internal hardware failure mid-flight. Very fortunate it happened safely in your back yard! I guess now Karma isn't the only new drone falling out of the sky :/
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

haha. I wish I could try another battery. Unfortunately the one is all I have at this moment.
2016-11-13
Use props
Sgt_Throatpunch
lvl.2

United States

You said you were filming, can we see the footage?
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Unfortunately the footage wouldn't show anything but 3 kids flipping around on a trampoline. I wasn't actually recording when it fell.
2016-11-13
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Log maybe. Even just a video of mavic not starting, At least something. Or a say BS...karma fan.
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

SImply sharing an unfortunate event that happened. Didn't come on to bash Mavic or DJI. Bummed yes. Things happen. No reason to have to prove that it happened on a forum. Logs will be sent to DJI and am sure they will be able to figure out what happened.
2016-11-13
Use props
XDfh2UKILeWX
lvl.1

United States

This product was not ready.
2016-11-13
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

ROROFLIX Posted at 2016-11-14 07:22
SImply sharing an unfortunate event that happened. Didn't come on to bash Mavic or DJI. Bummed yes.  ...

Not saying it didn't happen. But lot of people try to post fake problems. So it's easy to post something with a simple proof. At least we know it's genuine. And yes if it's really it sucks and I really feel sorry for you.
2016-11-13
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

It happened. He's not a troll. roroflix, please keep us updated. I am very interested in knowing what the problem is and how well DJI is going to handle this problem. I'll be honest. I really wanted to love the Karma because I've always heard DJI customer support sucks. Karma couldn't hold a candle to the Mavic so here I am waiting on my Mavic. Meanwhile, the various issues I'm hearing about the Mavic are concerning me. As much as I want my Mavic, I hope they aren't rushing the manufacturing process at the cost of quality control.
2016-11-13
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Following.  Agreed that providing flight data logs to DJI will be crucial here.  Karma recalled their drone for bricking mid flight.
2016-11-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash, make sure to download the DAT file and upload to Dropbox and the add the link to your ticket.
What is your email you use with the GO app and I can review your flight log after you sync the flight records to the DJI server.
You can also play back the flight and tap the RC icon and it will overlay the sticks to see what you stick inputs were during the flight.
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Is that all you will need is the .dat file that is in FlightLogs? I uploaded to DB. How do I add link to my ticket? They havent sent me a ticket number yet, just a Support Request Received. Email used is ronnie at schaeferstv dot com

Thanks for your help.
2016-11-13
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

I have synced the flight records from DJI Go to the cloud
2016-11-13
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Just wonder, if it is cause by the hardware failure and fall from the sky, does this cover under normal warranty without DJI care?
2016-11-13
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-13 18:57
Sorry for your crash, make sure to download the DAT file and upload to Dropbox and the add the link  ...

Hey Ken. Would it be possible to follow up on this thread once a reason for the crash is determined?
2016-11-13
Use props
Nomadic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754692 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The aircraft never power up again?
Seems the power cable connector detached to me
2016-11-14
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Nomadic Posted at 2016-11-14 17:21
The aircraft never power up again?
Seems the power cable connector detached to me

Yep. I'd almost be inclined to fix it myself with that Mexico trip on the horizon. I fixed many hardware issues on my Phantom 1. Soldering and all, it's pretty easy if you're good with your hands.
2016-11-14
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Normally I would agree and do this, however I fear it is something above my level on this one. Would feel much more confident having the manufacturer address the issue.
2016-11-14
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2016-11-14
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Mavic is on it's way into service center. Will keep you posted.
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ROROFLIX Posted at 2016-11-15 00:22
@DJI-Ken can you look into this case number: CAS-320695-T9Q3F9 and make sure I have submitted everyt ...

I'm at home now and cannot see your case#. You download the DAT file from the aircraft right, not the flight logs from the GO app?
I reviewed your flight and indeed it looks like it shut off at the 10 minute mark from a few feet up. You didn't have any prior crash or hard landing did you?
Since you've sent it in they will analyze the DAT files from the flight data recorder to determine what happened.
I'm sorry you had that problem, it will get sorted out.
I'll look at your case tomorrow and add the DAT file to my reporting.
2016-11-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-11-14 12:47
Hey Ken. Would it be possible to follow up on this thread once a reason for the crash is determine ...

Since this is the OP's thread, they've already said they would keep everyone posted. As soon as the DAT files are read I will let the OP know and they can post the results.
2016-11-14
Use props
fans86c35b8c
New

United States

Was this issue ever resolved?
2016-11-21
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

fans86c35b8c Posted at 2016-11-22 05:30

+1 Intersted to hear what ended up happening.
2016-11-21
Use props
casman
lvl.1

United States

fans86c35b8c Posted at 2016-11-21 15:30

following this as well
2016-11-21
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

Same Uh HUH :-)
2016-11-21
Use props
SoloPro
lvl.2
Hong Kong

+1 following
2016-11-21
Use props
fansc7fec084
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319055 ft
Vietnam

Hi OP,
You mentioned this was the first flight right after you updated the fw. Did you reboot the Mavic after booting it up for the first time after the fw update? I think the first boot is when the battery got updated too, and it will say "battery error" or "ESC error". I had to put all of my batts into the drone after updating the fw, then reboot the drone to verify that no more error messages showed up before I fly
2016-11-22
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Just got notification that the Mavic has been repaired and has shipped back. Unfortunately no details as to what caused the failure. Unfortunate event, however very impressed with the service process. Very quick w good communication!
2016-11-22
Use props
fans86c35b8c
New

United States

ROROFLIX Posted at 2016-11-22 18:27
Just got notification that the Mavic has been repaired and has shipped back. Unfortunately no detail ...

Thanks for letting us know. Hope all goes well with the new one.
2016-11-23
Use props
Paranoid Jack
lvl.1

United States

Following with the hope that the OP will be told what the cause was.
2016-11-23
Use props
Homerlovesbeer
lvl.2

Australia

So fixed under warranty? No charge to you?

Good to hear if that's the case.
2016-11-23
Use props
ROROFLIX
lvl.2

United States

Yes, fixed under warranty. No charge.
2016-11-25
Use props
fans16019f47
lvl.1

United States

Just got my Mavic yesterday, and had this happen to me today after 4 successful flights.  Unfortunately mine was about 20 ft about the asphalt and there is significant damage to the top of the Mavic.  The drone seemed to lose complete power as I was flying down the street.  Just got in contact with DJI Support and they told me I would have to send it in to the repair center for them to evaluate what happened.  

2016-12-20
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

Any Samsung Note 4 nearby? I heard a report of this can happen if it is close by.
2016-12-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules