Smaller sized drone doesn't automatically mean worse in Winds!
1173 6 2016-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Take a look at this,

I keep hearing people say the bigger the Drone (P3, P4 for example) the better it is against a high Wind.

Are you sure? =)

2016-11-15
Use props
Soulhawk
lvl.1
United States

I disagree personally...I own both the Phantom 3 Advanced and received my Mavic Pro last Thursday and honestly i think the Mavic Pro handles better. I will honestly say the highest winds I've had in my area for the past 5 days have only been around 20-25 mph but it handled very well even at 100 feet up in the air and did not see any drifting while hovering.
2016-11-15
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

How to beat your  drone into submission using a leaf blower,  love it!

2016-11-15
Use props
Vannibombonato
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325778 ft
Italy

I have my fingers very crossed on this...50% of my rationale for buying a Mavic is for filming Kiteboarding, which for its very nature happens only with winds at least of 20kn..ideally the Mavic should be able to fly upwind against winds up to 25kn.
2016-11-15
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

Vannibombonato Posted at 2016-11-15 11:40
I have my fingers very crossed on this...50% of my rationale for buying a Mavic is for filming Kiteb ...

Me too.  Can't wait to try it.  May this weekend as mine will arrive from apple tomorrow and the forecast calls for lots of wind.  Will see how my nerve is!
2016-11-15
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

I can see both sides of it i guess. You'd think something bigger might handle the wind better. But on the other hand. The Mavic is so small there is less of it to blow around.
2016-11-15
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Vannibombonato Posted at 2016-11-16 00:40
I have my fingers very crossed on this...50% of my rationale for buying a Mavic is for filming Kiteb ...

You should be OK with caution. I am also a keen kiter and my local sailing spot is a renowned speed sailing location. So it blows hard here.  Will be a good idea to orgainise things so that you have a landing funk hole down wind of you at all times.  Yesterday it was blowing 15/20kts on the deck here and much harder aloft. At one point when I shot up to about 200' and zeroed the controls to hover, my Mavic not unexpectedly starting drifting downwind at about 15kts. The wind could quite easily have been >40KTs up there. But once I commanded, it was still able progress upwind slowly and descending out of the wind fixed things.
What did amaze me is how rock sold the video is in this situation. When flying 30' about tree tops they were waving around madly and it is sitting there like it bolted to something.   
2016-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules