Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Focus
2731 35 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

Hi all,

I have noticed that my Mavic footage suffers from some strange focusing issues. Almost like the focal plane is off somehow. Look at this example, all of my footage is soft to the left, both these gates are on the same level yet the one on the right is in focus and the one on the left is completely blurred out. Any ideas on what is going on here?

Kind regards

Sebastian
6.JPG
2016-11-17
Use props
GREY C
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-11-17
Use props
fansbf028272
lvl.1
Flight distance : 569836 ft
United Kingdom

I'm suffering an almost identical issue but in the bottom right section looking very soft compared to the same plane
2016-11-17
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

GREY C Posted at 2016-11-17 12:24
Yikes that is pretty bad, is it the same for Photos/Video mode?

I am definately also suffering in photo mode, same issue!
2016-11-17
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

fansbf028272 Posted at 2016-11-17 12:26
I'm suffering an almost identical issue but in the bottom right section looking very soft compared t ...

It´s really weird and annoying. Would be great if someone from DJI could help guide us in this matter
2016-11-17
Use props
m326
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about these problems.

It's for these reasons that I've just about made my mind up to cancel my order, quality control just isn't as good as it should be.
Not such bad news for DJI though as I'll save my money a bit longer and order a P4P in the spring once the initial teething problems are sorted. I can wait.
2016-11-17
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

There is a video here of a guy who had even worse blurriness with his Mavic (like looking through a coke bottle - centre in focus, everything else blurred).

Surprisingly the problem went away after he:
- updated the Mavic firmware, then:
- re-calibrated the IMU,
- then reset the calibration of the gimbal (Go > menu > gimbal settings > advanced > gimbal autocalibration)
- reset the Mavic camera settings (Go app > settings > reset camera settings)

then the blurriness went away.

You could do what he did and see if it solves your problem.
2016-11-17
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

I am having the similar problem but not as bad as the op.

For some reason it is especially visible  in photo rather then in video. I already raise concern in other thread ( Dirt in the lens post) but still waitting to hear answer back from DJI.
2016-11-17
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-17 13:32
There is a video here of a guy who had even worse blurriness with his Mavic (like looking through a  ...

Hey man thanks a bunch for the link! Will get on it right away and keep you posted if this solves my issue.

Thanks again
2016-11-17
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-17 21:28

For some reason it is especially visible  ...

Same here, re the focus appearing worse in my photos than video. Wondering if his is an illusion of motion. OTOH if I export a still from the video it still seems sharper. Either way the lack of sharpness in my photos is the only thing I am dissappointed about with my Mavic.  Hopefully operator error.  ATM seems little point in using Photo as output is invariably they are worse than a video still for me.   Have activated manual focus toggle and will do some testing to see if I can sort it out.

Also interested to see how OP gets on wtit that reset process descibed above.  To date I have only done a single compass swing since new.
2016-11-17
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.3
Canada

you think DJI will have the guts to address this problem along with the whole slew of other problems, i even see some youtubers saying theirs just stop randomly working. this is a disaster.
2016-11-17
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Australia

I was thinking my soft photo images may have been due to the focus alignment. But it is hard to tell anything other than that they are soft.
Taken with camera in RAW 4:3 Auto exposure ~1/500 ISO100. Prior to each shot carefully aligning crosshair pickle on target stick & presing center auto focus (C1). Then take image. Started at closest cane stick at 1 metre and worked my way out to 4 meters. Repeating focus process ieach time. Aircraft is sitting on bench with motors shut down.  No post processing done other than to downsize and convert to JPG with LR. So in the fist image the focal point is the first cane stick, the second image the second stick and so on out to 4.
Fence shot is airborne at ~ 45 degrees to fence aimed at centre post. Again not obvious visually if focus is short or long. Just overall lack of sharpness.

Thoughts?

1M

1M

2M

2M

3M

3M

4m

4m

focused on post at center

focused on post at center
2016-11-17
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

I suspect some of the problem is that forming an image requires digital input from many systems (sensor, gimbal, lens etc), which are then all heavily processed by the on-board computer(s). It's not just a matter of lens optics + correct focus point = evenly sharp image.

It would be nice to be able to hit a switch on the Mavic and turn off all the image processing, the gimbal etc just to see the 'raw' unprocessed, unstabilised video feed, to help debug some of these problems.

2016-11-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sebastian, may i know have you contacted our tech support to send it in for evaluation? if no, please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, and the subject should be "Forum Support", we'll help you create  a case:
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Logger Posted at 2016-11-18 04:28
Same here, re the focus appearing worse in my photos than video. Wondering if his is an illusion of ...

Logger, please keep us posted and we'd love to help you out if any problems.
2016-11-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-17 21:28

For some reason it is especially visible  ...

I would suggest you to send it in for evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-11-18
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-18 10:17
Sebastian, may i know have you contacted our tech support to send it in for evaluation? if no, pleas ...

Hi DJI Natalia,

Thanks for the info, I have sent an email through to support with all the info you asked for. I have checked that I am running the latest firmware, I have re-calibrated the IMU and reset the Gimbal calibration and lastly reset the camera settings. But as you can see from my footage that I shot after these adjustments the problem is still there. On the second image with the horse it is really obvious that something is completely off in terms of focus. As you can see the entire left side of the footage is completely out of focus whereas the horse in the far background is sharp and even the trees behind that horse is in focus. This is why to me it feels like the focal plane is completely off.
Fingers crossed that this gets solved because as it stands right now, this footage and investment is completely non usable.

Thanks

Sebastian
7.JPG
8.JPG
2016-11-18
Use props
Logger
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-11-18 17:19
Logger, please keep us posted and we'd love to help you out if any problems.

Thanks Natalia. Will do.

@sanuk
I suspect some of the problem is that forming an image requires digital input from many systems (sensor, gimbal, lens etc), which are then all heavily processed by the on-board computer(s). It's not just a matter of lens optics + correct focus point = evenly sharp image.

I am still debating if I should run through the reset/recal procedure detailed in the video above. Apart from this my Mavic is running as good as gold and I dont want to open can of worms.

Here are a 3 more photos.  Again I have done noting too them as I am trying to troubleshoot the lack of overall sharpness.  Are these anbout the quality I shoud be expecting do you gusy think?  Is one sharper tha  the others? One is a video screen grab the other are photos.

@Shedin, sorry to jump inot your thread - just as you reposted. You do indeed have an issue with yours. Hopefully you get if fixed.  If yours is a hardware issue (seemingly) after your torubleshooting then I suppose the reset/recal hasnt helped becuase of this.  

Ocean

Ocean

Vista

Vista

Yards

Yards
2016-11-18
Use props
sanuk
Second Officer
Australia

shedin Posted at 2016-11-19 07:44
Hi DJI Natalia,

Thanks for the info, I have sent an email through to support with all the info you ...

Since you've done all the system checks and re-calibrations, it's pretty clear that your Mavic lens is de-centred. It's a physical problem with the lens that no amount of system tweaks will likely be able to fix.

FWIW, I've had the same problem happen in DSLR lenses, particularly wide angles (and the Mavic is a 24mm equiv wide-angle lens). The only real fix that has worked for me was to send the lens back and get another one.
2016-11-18
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-18 23:19
Since you've done all the system checks and re-calibrations, it's pretty clear that your Mavic len ...

I think you are right, it is a physical problem and the lens needs to be replaced. I have only had it for a little more than a week and the footage has suffered the same problem since day one.
2016-11-18
Use props
shedin
lvl.1
Sweden

Logger Posted at 2016-11-18 21:50
Thanks Natalia. Will do.

@sanuk

Hey Logger, no problem with thread jumping I think overall that the issues with the focus being off is a serious matter and it´s interesting to see what other users are experiencing in that department too. I have re-calibrated everything but still no luck, my entire left side of the footage is still completely out of focus.
2016-11-18
Use props
bluesgeek
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1241486 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have same problem as OP and just as severe. However, it's the right side. Just adding another occurrence.
2016-11-20
Use props
lhmHL5uSRxuJ
United Kingdom

I also share a similar issue. Bottom corners of image.
2016-11-21
Use props
fans3d2c0c91
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391040 ft
United States

I have the same issue as this as well.  Looking straight down and focusing on the right, the left is soft.  Focusing on the left, the right is soft.  I'll post some screenies.

Natalia, what can be done?  I have refresh.
2017-1-3
Use props
fans933c4682
Flight distance : 51598 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem with my Mavic Pro received on the 8th December , soft blurred focus on the right side of the image, when taken from the air - however inside they appear to be fully in focus .  I have had a ticket open with DJI support in the EU for a week now having supplied them with images in a Dropbox folder , I am still waiting for some kind of answer . I have also been on the DJI online chat support and an operator called Bobby has now on two occasions told me that new firmware is being released to sort this issue out , first it was last week and then when I chased he said it would be within this week ??  When I mention this to the DJI EU support they know nothing about this . I really cant understand this - surely all the support is talking to each other ?

I would just like to know what I should be doing with my Mavic Pro - waiting for firmware ? - I do also understand the comments made to say that this may not help a physical issue with a lens or requesting a replacement product , my supplying dealer tells me he cannot help me !

I have been with DJI since the beginning and have had issues with other products but they have always been sorted after some frustrating waiting . DJI have great customers that deserve to be told what the situation is .
2017-1-4
Use props
SBT1979
lvl.1

Spain

i have de same problem in first day buy mavic 30.12, right corner not correct. Please Dji, can you offera solution with this problem seems phisical? thanks
2017-1-4
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I had the same issue (selective focus softness in one area). I worked with DJI support, got an RMA and got it fixed. Had excellent service on the repair. It was less than days at the facility before being returned.
2017-1-4
Use props
SBT1979
lvl.1

Spain

ok, today i do some test, my conclusion...;

Af mode in my case have a right corner bad.

Curiosly, in mf mode, the right corner its possible sharp all area image.

If a try diferent mf, in point concrete go a area blur right corner, but is i move minimal focus, right corner is ok an all image is sharp.

Its possible the problem is a fail af mode? because in af mode its good, seems af mode not calibrate good?

I do imu, gimbal, camera restore before this test.

Dji, any idea or anything solution?
2017-1-5
Use props
SBT1979
lvl.1

Spain

sorry, the parragraf, ...because in af mode....the correct is, because in mf mode its good...
2017-1-5
Use props
Jabeling
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20400 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had the same issue with my Mavic that arrived end of november.
My dealer send it back to DJI. After 4 weeks I got a replacement unit.
Today I found that the replacement unit has the same problem ...
Tomorrow I send that back to the dealer again.
2017-1-5
Use props
MF_FPV
New
United States

Jabeling - My Mavic (arrived 12/12) had this same focal plane problem.  And I sent mine back as well.  Because this isn't the only thread - seems there are different threads talking about same problem on this forum and elsewhere - and I felt like I didn't get a good explanation or expectation that the problem would be corrected to full satisfaction - I asked for a full refund instead of replacement.  After waiting for months for product - just did not want to have to wait on the Mavic to come working correctly.
Have now purchased the PPro4 - in the hopes that the better (bigger) camera & codec won't suffer from the same problems.  I do hope this issue is sorted - my assumption is that is during assembly of the lens itself.
2017-1-6
Use props
Big Daddy Davee
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3963 ft
United Kingdom

That's pretty bad. I'll be honest here, I couldn't quite notice what the problem was in the pictures initially but once I focussed (pun intended) on the issue, it looks terrible. I wonder how many people haven't even noticed that their image quality is poor as they are too busy wrapped up in the hype and technology to notice.
2017-2-12
Use props
joshnl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1738369 ft
Canada

I know this is a bit of an old thread at this point, but let me share my story that I think is quite relevant, and that can hopefully help out others.

I am now on my 5th (that's right, 5th) Mavic unit. 3 of the 5 units I've tried had a blurry right side. 1 of the 5 I never checked because it had physical damage out of the box. The only one that was sharp across the frame had to be replaced for another unrelated problem. So, 3 of the 4 units I've tested for this problem had a blurry right side.

Of note is the fact that the 3 affected ones had the blurriness to varying extents. One of the 3 was extremely blurry (totally unacceptable for me), while the other 2 were definitely noticeable, but not absolutely horrible.

What I've noticed on this most recent unit I'm testing now is that, as you rack the focus, you can clearly see the focal plane is kind of lopsided (it looks like a rectangle that is tilted away from the camera on one side), and the difference in focus between the two sides becomes much more apparent the closer to the camera the focus is set at. It's less apparent across the entire image when you're focused on more distant objects.

I've drawn a few conclusions from my experience so far:

1. This clearly seems to be a hardware problem, in my opinion.

2. What are the chances that 3/4 units would all have this defect, unless it's not really a "defect", but rather a "feature" of the Mavic that falls within the acceptable QC specs. This sucks, and is hugely irresponsible of DJI, but it also suggests that the chances of receiving a Mavic that is sharp across the frame are very low (how can I be SO incredibly unlucky???).

3. A workaround may be to adjust where in the scene you focus. For example, I've been able to get footage that is pretty sharp across the frame if I focus further away than I think I need to. I need to do more testing, but I think there may a sweet spot where the foreground, background, left side and right side are all sufficiently in focus. This may not help for cases where your subject is quite close to the camera, but will hopefully work in most landscape situations.

4. It's been 6 months since I first paid for the Mavic. I got my first unit in early Dec. (about 1.5 months after I was supposed to), and have only just recently received the 5th unit. In other words, I have now spent 4 months going through exchange after exchange, continuously asking DJI to make sure the replacement they were sending did not have the focus issue. They have repeatedly failed. I do not want to wait AT LEAST another 3-5 weeks to be able to use this thing. I've already missed almost the whole winter where I am, which is one of the main reasons I wanted the Mavic in the first place (to get snowy mountain footage). The unit I have now appears to be able to give me good, sharp footage at least sometimes, so I'm hoping I can make it work by using the workaround I described above. Maybe one day, when I'm not so desperate to use the Mavic, I'll send it in to DJI for a proper repair (I do have DJI Care). But right now, I'm simply not willing to deal with this anymore - it's just been far too frustrating.

So anyways, to those thinking of sending their Mavic in for replacement because of this issue, I would think hard about just how bad the problem really is on your unit, because the chances of getting a truly good one are quite slim in my experience, and you'll be without a Mavic for a good chunk of time.
2017-3-28
Use props
WOJO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2458514 ft
  • >>>
United States

that need to be return tat you tuber matt had same problem he got a new one
2017-3-28
Use props
JimmyC
First Officer
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

Mine with center focus is a little bit soft on the lower right. If I tap to focus on the screen a little right and down it looks pretty good. I did notice that if I look real close at the front left side (lens?) as installed on the camera is not pushed in all the way. Meaning the left front (lens?) of the camera where it meets the gold ring has a ever slight gap and the right side it tight. You have to look real close to see this. Again this is just something I found on mine and may have nothing to do with the blurry issue.
2017-3-28
Use props
MassimilianoG
New
Flight distance : 30843 ft
Italy

Same problem, right side of the frame is blurry, got a replacement and the new unit that I got has the same problem.... I'm trying to look for the good manual focus point where all the frame is acceptable but I'm asking me if after I paid a lot of money do I have to do this... very disappointed
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules