Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fat Shark FPV question
2809 7 2014-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

When I fly my home made (non GPS equipped) multirotors  I use the one set of Fat Shark FPV gear. To make it easier to transfer from multirotor to multirotor I have made a self contained module which holds camera, transmitter and power supply.
I attached it to my new Phantom 2 today and it took off and hovered no problem - except for one issue. Every time I turned the FPV on the Phantom lost its connection to the GPS. I'm guessing the FPV 5.8 GHZ transmitter interferes with the GPS system? The Phantom will still hold its altitude but just floats off, the same as having the phantom in ALti mode.

My question is. is there any other issues I have not noticed? I didn’t fly it just in case it flew off without me.

Should I switch the Phantom to Alti mode when flying with the FPV goggles.

Unlike my KK2 board fitted multirotors which need to be flown 100% of the time otherwise they will just fall out of the sky, it’s nice to finally have something which will at lease hold the same altitude while I have the goggles on  - the rest I can handle as long as I know it’s not damaging anything.

Herew is the FPV transmitter im using.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fatshard+trasmitter&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=52825BE78F667B96FF8879B060650991CEF2EB52&selectedIndex=25

Thanks for your help.

2014-10-3
Use props
rhesus1
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

Did you try the GPS shielding Mod ?  

A must for V2+ owners using 5.8G Control and 2.4G Video transmitter.

Aluminiumself adhesive foil worked just as well.  Aluminium foil Self adhesive

Im using my Galaxy S3 with a MHL AV converter  to connect to my FAT SHARK Dominator V2 goggles, but its not great.

Cheers

2014-10-10
Use props
Cloud9
New
United States

I was just going to suggest what rhesus1 mentioned above.
There may be an easier solution than taking apart your Phantom too.
Where are you mounting your vtx? Some people mount them on top (above the gps) this is a BAD idea and I will tell them this every time.

I have mine velcroed under the right side of the belly so it stops just at the battery line.
Works great here.
2014-10-10
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

So here is the latest. Did the GPS shielding mod and remounted the vtx and batery underneath and behind the gimbal and mounted the FPV camera on the leg.  Locked onto 10 sats no problem. Sent it up about 12 feet and let it sit just to keep my eye on it. After about 2 minutes it suddenly did an about face and tried to bugger off. Flicked to Atti and landed it. Double checked everything, made sure home point was logged correctly tried again and exactly the same thing happened. Removed all FPV gear tried it again and it sat there until I got bored. I think I'll leave the FPV for the home made KK2 UAV, I'm only going to lose a few bucks if I fly it into a tree.
2014-10-11
Use props
Cloud9
New
United States

dobie123@bigpon Posted at 2014-10-12 15:13
So here is the latest. Did the GPS shielding mod and remounted the vtx and batery underneath and beh ...

May be some compass interference. What's the LEDs doing when it's drifting? Any red blinking green or red? If it's all green, then it's got good satellite lock.

If you decide to try it again, post a pic of your set up. I've done 3 Phantoms with the same Fatshark vtx with no problems.
2014-10-12
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

Thanks will do.
2014-10-12
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.3

China

It seems that there is some interference.Agree with Cloud9's suggestion.A video is also helpful.
2014-10-12
Use props
dobie123
lvl.1

Australia

I'm going to head down the the local park tomorrow and try again. I'll point a caemar straight at it to capture what happens.
2014-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules