Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poll: Google Maps or HERE Maps
123Next >
10032 118 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viridis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For example.
This school I hovered over does not exist any more.
Screenshot_20161202-003926.png
2016-12-1
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Viridis Posted at 2016-12-1 16:40
For example.

You maniac!  What about the children!?!

2016-12-1
Use props
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-2 00:56

The Children?  The maps are so old, the children are all adults now!
2016-12-2
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Viridis Posted at 2016-12-1 19:40
For example.

So the Go app is now a time portal??
2016-12-2
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

trance728- Posted at 2016-11-23 07:23
It'd be great if someone from DJI would step in here with an answer to why they changed it.

It would have been due to cost - I put the details into another thread. Every time someone loads a Google map, rotates, or slides it around on the screen - it's a data request to Google. Up to a certain level (I think it was 25,000 per day), requests are free, but over that level DJI (as it's their app using the APIs to make the requests) need to pay for a licence to use the service.
2016-12-5
Use props
Thaicbr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62546 ft
Thailand

My house was built over 10 years ago. Here maps show it as not even being built yet.. That's BAD, VERY BAD. Google maps please.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans66488b86
lvl.4
Flight distance : 728235 ft
  • >>>
United States

Google maps was the only thing that worked great 100% of the time after every new update. Bring it back!
2016-12-6
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I just got my P4P yesterday and updated it.  I was playing around with it before taking it out and specifically remember asking myself what the heck is wrong with the maps on this thing?  This thread explains it!    Yeah, current maps setup is no bueno.
Sarge
2016-12-6
Use props
Phantomjim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97539 ft
United Kingdom

Hands up who's the numpty that has voted for the useless HERE Maps.  ????????????
2016-12-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2016-12-6 07:35
I just got my P4P yesterday and updated it.  I was playing around with it before taking it out and specifically remember asking myself what the heck is wrong with the maps on this thing?  This thread explains it!    Yeah, current maps setup is no bueno.
Sarge

Yep Sarge, welcome to the HERE maps club now!  Gonna feel like an E1 all-over again.

As if HERE doesn't completely BLOW bad enough - there's a giant H E R E across the center (where the Home Point is)!  Hilariously cheesy!
2016-12-6
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Phantomjim Posted at 2016-12-6 19:48
Hands up who's the numpty that has voted for the useless HERE Maps.  ????????????

I was thinking the same thing hahah like who the hell would vote for HERE Maps, i don't even know if it was a serious vote.
2016-12-6
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-6 19:03
I was thinking the same thing hahah like who the hell would vote for HERE Maps, i don't even know if it was a serious vote.

Kyokushin and Nicola90s voted for Here maps

It's a public vote

Now maybe a silly or lazy question, is this just for P4P owners or is it being rolled out for all the apps / drones. Haven't updated for a while..

Google maps isn't great, there's an empty field on google near me, but it has 30-40 new houses on it. At least 3 years out of date.
2016-12-9
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-9 21:40
Kyokushin and Nicola90s voted for Here maps

It's a public vote

Well, as far as i can tell everyone using DJI Go and Go v4, will be using HERE Maps from now on :s
2016-12-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ange1walk Posted at 2016-12-9 21:06
Well, as far as i can tell everyone using DJI Go and Go v4, will be using HERE Maps from now on :s

Thanks, guess I'll stick with Litchi then, seems to be working well. I'll just fire up DJI go occasionally to check everything is ok.
2016-12-9
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well the Here maps I see are more up to date than google, at least I can see a half built housing estate rather than the empty field google shows me. Maybe 2 years out of date instead of googles 3-4 years.
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-11 01:19
Well the Here maps I see are more up to date than google, at least I can see a half built housing estate rather than the empty field google shows me. Maybe 2 years out of date instead of googles 3-4 years.

Not here in Australia, the view of my farm is approximetely 6 years old.
2016-12-13
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-14 05:27
Not here in Australia, the view of my farm is approximetely 6 years old.

The satellites don't work very well upside down so it's hard to get an up to date image
2016-12-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-12-14 22:15
The satellites don't work very well upside down so it's hard to get an up to date image

Sorry, but they are upside down in your hemisphere, they are the right way up down here. I reckon the Here maps are just old recycled images that Google threw out.
2016-12-14
Use props
Smallblockchevy
lvl.1

United States

And "here" goes the business.
2016-12-21
Use props
gvgeorge
lvl.2
United States

If cost is the big issue with using Google Maps perhaps DJI could offer a subscription service.
2016-12-22
Use props
Smallblockchevy
lvl.1

United States

Anyone know how to get the older DJIgo app back on android?
2016-12-22
Use props
dirtdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

Smallblockchevy Posted at 2016-12-23 05:45
Anyone know how to get the older DJIgo app back on android?

see here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-72769-1-1.html
2016-12-22
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

I think Google just Like DJI is a business and since DJI uses their maps while generating huge revenue from their product, finally google reached out and ask for a small contribution...
ans this is the reason why google pixel is not supported, this makes perfect sense.
I agree though that "Here Maps" are a poor choice, seems like the DJIgo app is going backwards.
2016-12-24
Use props
Inno
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2444449 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't post much, and finally have had the time to get the bird out again, upgrade and fly, but...   have owned and flown my p3a since Oct 2015. I fly and film lakes, rivers and streams in the sierra's and rely a lot on having clear maps of where my bird is. very useful for the unlikely event the bird goes down and navigating the natural mapped route of the stream or river when water levels are too low for visual recognition through FPV. Sorry DJI, I have NOT experienced any issues with my P3A after having over 200 flights/20+hours of successful flights even after upgrades and have been very happy with all including the original price I paid for it. Until now...

can you imagine if Microsoft took away formatting capabilities from their office products on a whim, no warning, knowing you already paid a pretty penny for it's capabilities...
thanks for listening.
2016-12-27
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Inno Posted at 2016-12-27 07:10
I don't post much, and finally have had the time to get the bird out again, upgrade and fly, but...   have owned and flown my p3a since Oct 2015. I fly and film lakes, rivers and streams in the sierra's and rely a lot on having clear maps of where my bird is. very useful for the unlikely event the bird goes down and navigating the natural mapped route of the stream or river when water levels are too low for visual recognition through FPV. Sorry DJI, I have NOT experienced any issues with my P3A after having over 200 flights/20+hours of successful flights even after upgrades and have been very happy with all including the original price I paid for it. Until now...

can you imagine if Microsoft took away formatting capabilities from their office products on a whim, no warning, knowing you already paid a pretty penny for it's capabilities...

Here maps are just a joke right? This is DJI's idea of a prank, they can't be serious about switching to Here.
As above I assume its a cost thing, but DJI you should have warned buyers of your product what you were attempting to do, which is save money for the company, & then give people a choice, HERE maps are free, if you want to use Google only, then there will be a small subscription fee.
At least explain yourself DJI & give users options, rather than go out of your way to alienate your present customers!
Who is running your marketing department- A guy from Yuneec!
2016-12-27
Use props
Devildog9999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73865 ft
United States

I was THRILLED when I first saw a DJI drone in action.  I was so excited that I went out and bought one, read until my eyes started bleeding, watched hour after hour of video on how to fly it and work with it and then started flying.  Since then THREE of my friends have went out and bought them, along with all the add on goodies to the tune of over 3,000 USD.  I take it personally when I am slapped in the face by DJI pushing these garbage maps to save a few pennies after taking my money in good faith.   With that said, I am a nobody to DJI.  We are all nobodies to DJI - right up until sales plummet and the word spreads that DJI just do not give a damn about the customers who purchased their products - especially after they have the cash in pocket.  

The money I had aside for my new P4P has since been reallocated.  The Mavic one of my friends purchased after his P3S was cancelled before the order got processed.  For a couple of nobodies, we just cost DJI a few grand.  When it is 1000, 5000, or even 10000 nobodies, maybe they will start to listen again.  For now I am stuck with older firmware and Go app and still have google maps.  I guess that will do until I decide where to purchase my next UAV from.  DJI can still correct this - but so far not even a peep from them.  Admitting you made a mistake is harder than fixing it I guess.
2016-12-27
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Andrew245 Posted at 2016-12-25 04:27
I think Google just Like DJI is a business and since DJI uses their maps while generating huge revenue from their product, finally google reached out and ask for a small contribution...
ans this is the reason why google pixel is not supported, this makes perfect sense.
I agree though that "Here Maps" are a poor choice, seems like the DJIgo app is going backwards.

Reality is though that the Google "contribution" is not inconsequential. I know a company that pays $30k a month to have them.
2016-12-27
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

AlecW Posted at 2016-12-27 14:58
Not to get too far off topic but what maps do Litchi use?  I ask because their satellite images are newer than google earth for my house.  Google is about 2 years old, litchi seems to be about a year old.

The newest Litchi keeps crashing on my tablet as soon as I select settings the app quits...
the maps on litchi look like google maps
2016-12-27
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

DJI has the BEST Drones!  DJI should have the BEST Maps!  SIMPLE!
2016-12-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

iApple and Google don't play nice together anymore, and since DJI has been joined at the hip with iApple. . .

If you fly over Dodge City at high noon, you can now record actual gun fights. Duals and such... Haha

Just having some fun. Trying to remain in good health and high spirits. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-29
Use props
Magic Mavic Fly
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here map now back after a period of not loading, but they are POOR. Please will someone at DJI please fess- up and explain why you have introduced this awful downgrade?
2016-12-31
Use props
Magic Mavic Fly
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Here map now back after a period of not loading, but they are POOR. Please will someone at DJI please fess- up and explain why you have introduced this awful downgrade?
2016-12-31
Use props
KLT9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46 ft
United Kingdom

Virdis wrote:  This school I hovered over does not exist any more.

But it does show your breaking UK CAA drone laws flying over a built up area.
2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

KLT9 Posted at 2017-1-1 01:44
Virdis wrote:  This school I hovered over does not exist any more.

But it does show your breaking UK CAA drone laws flying over a built up area.

How so? If the school does not exist any more there may not be anything there, hence no rules broken.
2017-1-1
Use props
Viridis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is now an empty field. Where the old school was.
Here Maps does not reflect reality.
2017-1-3
Use props
Devildog9999
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73865 ft
United States

Month and a half later and still not a word from DJI.  SMFH.  
2017-1-6
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-1 16:56

Way to funny with that comment
2017-1-8
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

Phantomjim Posted at 2016-12-6 10:48

I gotta ask....what's a numpty!
2017-1-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2017-1-8 13:10
I gotta ask....what's a numpty!

Its English for dumb-arse.
2017-1-10
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-10 01:45
Its English for dumb-arse.

I am glad I asked.  Thanks for the reply.  I have to write that one into my Websters.
2017-1-10
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules