Mavic Pro SD Card How to format
18545 13 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
uQHluxUNYXUj
lvl.1
Australia

Ok so I have a Sandisk Extreme 64gb card, can I format the card using the DJI GO app or do I have to do on my computer?

If on my computer what am I formatting as EX-FAT, MS-DOS?
2016-11-20
Use props
8atU4uGb2cGi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

I heard best to use dji go
2016-11-20
Use props
robble
lvl.2

United States

I didnt format it at all and it worked
2016-11-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You can format the SD card via DJI GO app or computer.
If your SD card less than or equal to 32GB, you need to format it as  FAT 32.
2016-11-20
Use props
Misanthrope47
New
United States

If you allow the DJI Go app to format the card, it will format it as proper type based on the size.  If it's 32GB or less, it will be FAT32 (32kb allocation size).  If it's a 64GB or greater, it will format it as exFAT (128kb allocation size).  Those are based on FAT rules, and nothing to do with which is better.  You can't micromanage the format to give you increased performance.
2017-6-20
Use props
Rich79
New
Flight distance : 47851 ft
United States

The rule I've always followed and had, I think, zero problems is, always format the card in the device you are going to use it in.  You can't go wrong with that.
2017-6-20
Use props
noob
lvl.2

Singapore

Misanthrope47 Posted at 2017-6-20 18:30
If you allow the DJI Go app to format the card, it will format it as proper type based on the size.  If it's 32GB or less, it will be FAT32 (32kb allocation size).  If it's a 64GB or greater, it will format it as exFAT (128kb allocation size).  Those are based on FAT rules, and nothing to do with which is better.  You can't micromanage the format to give you increased performance.

Does that mean that 128GB cards will allow me to record video files larger than 4GB since they are in exFAT format?  I have only used 32GB cards so far, and since I typically record the entire flight, the 4GB limit has caused occasional frustrations where the file got split in the middle of a cool shot.  And if you are wondering if I have missed the obvious solution of simply joining the videos back in editing, I have found that there were always missing frames between the split.  If 128GB cards will solve this, I will be happy to replace my cards!
2017-6-20
Use props
AJ-UK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 903576 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

noob Posted at 2017-6-20 19:46
Does that mean that 128GB cards will allow me to record video files larger than 4GB since they are in exFAT format?  I have only used 32GB cards so far, and since I typically record the entire flight, the 4GB limit has caused occasional frustrations where the file got split in the middle of a cool shot.  And if you are wondering if I have missed the obvious solution of simply joining the videos back in editing, I have found that there were always missing frames between the split.  If 128GB cards will solve this, I will be happy to replace my cards!

Sadly, no. I just checked. My 64Gb card is formatted exFAT and still Mavic split the MP4 recording at the 4Gb boundary (after just 9 minutes of UHD recording).
But the good news: as it happens I was turning the Mavic at the time of the file split. And I can see that (unlike with my P3P) there are no lost frames!!!
I hope that was not just luck with the timing of the GOP frames....
2017-7-1
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same card as you and you can do it in either the phone or your computer, if you do it in the computer put it as MS-DOS.  To format the card in the phone/drone press the 'info' bar in the DJI GO App and at the bottom of the black list there is "Format" button
I was originaly having issues with the Mavic included SD card and purchased this

http://amzn.to/2twWmnL

No problems since and the fastest card available, definetly recommended.
2017-7-1
Use props
noob
lvl.2

Singapore

AJ-UK Posted at 2017-7-1 03:13
Sadly, no. I just checked. My 64Gb card is formatted exFAT and still Mavic split the MP4 recording at the 4Gb boundary (after just 9 minutes of UHD recording).
But the good news: as it happens I was turning the Mavic at the time of the file split. And I can see that (unlike with my P3P) there are no lost frames!!!
I hope that was not just luck with the timing of the GOP frames....

Thanks for confirming this and saving me the expense of replacing my cards.  I haven't examined all of my split files, but where I have tried to join them, I have a noticeable gap in frames.  Maybe it does not happen all the time, or it depends on the cards one uses.  I use Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards.
2017-7-2
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

noob Posted at 2017-7-2 19:01
Thanks for confirming this and saving me the expense of replacing my cards.  I haven't examined all of my split files, but where I have tried to join them, I have a noticeable gap in frames.  Maybe it does not happen all the time, or it depends on the cards one uses.  I use Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards.

Just guessing, but if you use a smaller buffer (2Gb, for  instance), you may lose fewer frames, since it would take less time to write to the SD.
2017-7-3
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I format it just before the first flight of the day with either DJI Go 4 or Litchi, whichever app I plan to fly with.
2017-7-3
Use props
fansb05bb589
lvl.2
Flight distance : 325725 ft
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-7-3 09:30
I format it just before the first flight of the day with either DJI Go 4 or Litchi, whichever app I plan to fly with.

Am I missing something by not formatting my cards?  I erase files after downloading them and have had no issues without ever formatting the cards.
2017-7-4
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansb05bb589 Posted at 2017-7-4 06:10
Am I missing something by not formatting my cards?  I erase files after downloading them and have had no issues without ever formatting the cards.

From what I've read on some photography forums I frequent, erasing the files isn't 100% clean, which is why if you accidentally erase something, there are data recovery programs that will un-erase them. As I understand it, eventually, the card will become too fragmented and fail. So, I always format the ones for my DSLRs and drone.
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules