Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
2212 run backwards?
3250 5 2015-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cfalcon420.yaho
New

United States

So I had a prop strike and it caused the shaft threads to be stripped.  I had ordered an extra pair not long ago due to stupidly stripping the shaft when swapping props and as my luck goes, it is the same one stripped.  So I have the opposite turning one from the replacement set left over.  Can I use that motor and just run it "backwards" so it spins in the direction needed?  Please don't give me grief over this question.  I don't have much experience with anything related to this money sucking hobby.  I also don't have any motor or electrical background to speak of.  Thanks in advance for all the helpful answers.

Chad

2015-2-9
Use props
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

Hi Chad.

I'm surprised you haven't already received any replies to your question.

Are you using the regular red 2212 motors or the newer self tightening motor/prop combos?

As I understand it you say that when you installed the replacement motor it is spinning in the opposite direction to the one you want. If you are using one of the regular red 2212 motors you simply need to swap around two of the three motor connections into the ESC to enable the motor to reverse rotation.  

The motor spins by receiving three separate pulses, hence the three wires going into the motor, from the ESC. These pulses are separated in phase/time. By swapping two of the three motor connections from the ESC you are changing the order in which the pulses are sent to the motor and subsequently reversing the rotation of the motor.

If you are using the newer self tightening props it's unfortunately not as simple as the thread on the motor shaft is specific to the rotation of the prop, swapping the rotation of the motor will only result in very bad things happening as instead of the prop pulling into the air it will now be pushing into the ground.

Regards

Nidge
2015-2-16
Use props
joe
lvl.4

United States

Absolutely no issue if the motor is the old style without self tightening props.  If it is spinning the wrong direction just switch position of any 2 motor to esc wires
If you use a the self locking you can do it but you will have to use locktite to prevent the prop from spinning off just like on non self tightening props.  But you cannot use the stock self tightening prop as mentioned above.  You will need the DJI style props and self tightening nut for that rotation direction. But you will use the correct rotation prop for that motor location.  You would also need to make sure you get the same size / pitch as what you are using now or switch all to the new props. Seeing you would need to buy prop nuts and new props it is probably best to get a new motor in this case.
2015-3-11
Use props
hmoro
New

Mexico

joe@heliflightc Posted at 2015-3-12 01:05
Absolutely no issue if the motor is the old style without self tightening props.  If it is spinning  ...

Hello Joe, I had a problem with two motors from my Phantom 1. I screwed in too much the long screws for the prop guards. They run very erratically. I need to replace them. I want to ask you if the 2212 is de proper replacement for it.  The motors I have installed come in both versions, two in CCW and two in CW rotation config. the same for the shafts and props.
Thanks a lot for your help.
2015-6-18
Use props
joe
lvl.4

United States

hmoro Posted at 2015-6-19 08:28
Hello Joe, I had a problem with two motors from my Phantom 1. I screwed in too much the long screw ...

Yes the 2212 is the correct motors for a Phantom 2.  Very recently some Phantoms have gone to a larger motor but unless you just bought in the last few months the 2212 is the correct motor.  Sorry for the delayed reply.  Real life got in the way!!
2015-6-30
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

Yes, I can confirm the 2212 is the correct motor.
2015-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules