Mavic loses GPS fix with 15+ satellites [8 reports so far]
21076 115 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anilako
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133698 ft
Russia

Same thing. Got it first 1 month ago, and thought that it was because of cold or something like that. Today again. Now a bit afraid to fly..

2017-1-29
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah from tests I've done deliberately putting in atti with copper foil on the back end, I noticed it does fly backwards in atti mode with no wind. There's no way to trim this in software either, you have to fly it.

Weird it says 18 to 20 sats
2017-1-29
Use props
Ejder Bingül
lvl.2
Turkey

Same issue. https://forum.dji.com/thread-82184-1-1.html Read my thread. My mavic is totally destructed and DJI says it is my fault.
2017-1-29
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Ejder Bingül Posted at 2017-1-29 10:53
Same issue. https://forum.dji.com/thread-82184-1-1.html Read my thread. My mavic is totally destructed and DJI says it is my fault.

Wonder why you couldn't control it though. That's definitely not normal at least from what I've experienced. Even in atti, there is no loss of control ever. I did a lot of testing indoors because of weather, using atti, opti, gps and when out of opti and < 8 sats, it switches to atti and drifts backwards.

I always have control of the ac though. I'm used to flying toy drones though, so I don't have any problem controlling it in any modes. So your issue is going into atti with 18+ sats and locking you out? They have the flight logs, I'm sure they can see what happened on the sticks

Think I saw a video a long time ago on a guy wrecking into a building and he had no control. But that was way way back on early early firmware
2017-1-29
Use props
Anilako
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133698 ft
Russia

checked logs from long flight, I mentioned above. thanks to healthydrones website.

happy that I got drone back, because I lost connection when GPS was laggy
2017-1-30
Use props
pierce
lvl.1
Portugal

It appears that DJI dislike this thread!

I stop flying hopping that a new firmware solve this issue.
i also have a problem with the right stick
i can't afford to see it flying to the moon,
I have DJI Care and it's useless in this cenario.
2017-1-30
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

This has happened to me as well.  Yesterday I had 18-19 satellites throughout and all 5 signal strength bars lit up, when it dropped out of Cinematic mode into ATTI, like a light switch had been flicked and it wasn't possible to hold the position.  As it was rapidly flying away I opted to ground it, rather than try and fly it back to me.  Very very disconcerting.
Incidentally, from the number of people raising this, it's clearly not an isolated issue and at least bears some kind of response from DJI, who've been absent on this thread.  

I'm going to ping some of the regular DJI staff and ask for a response (Ken and Mindy).  For me, until this is corrected, I'm using the MP like my little Hubsan: as a toy that can only be relied upon over very short range.

2017-2-1
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

fansfa72e3a4 Posted at 2017-1-17 02:58
Did anyone found a fix or workaround for this issue? If it's a firmware issue, did anyone try downgrading to previous, more stable, firmware... I just need to understand whether it's a firmware issue, or if there is a problem with my unit and I should ship it back.

The only problem is that in this product's lifecycle, there's no (more) stable releases!  Each firmware has been issued, it seems, in response to significant user issues.
2017-2-1
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

I PM'd Ken and it appears that DJI views this issue as dealt with in a previous FW upgrade. I'm using the latest version, so... Based on the response, below, looks like the Mavic will be going back to DJI for evaluation. The exchange between Ken and I follows...

I've got the latest FW. I'd ask others who've posted about this to have a look and confirm wether they're running the version before v01.03.0000.

------------FEB 02nd-----------
Hi Ken.  There's a growing number of people (as of yesterday, myself included) who are experiencing MPs switching suddenly and without explanation into ATTI mode (in my case from 19 satellites and 5 bars), with the aircraft quickly losing position.  One of the earliest (and growing) threads describing this phenomenon can be found here, but there's no input from DJI http://forum.dji.com/thread-73707-1-1.html .  Could you respond on DJI's behalf.  We're all very curious if this is an acknowledged issue and whether we'll see a firmware update to resolve it.  Thanks!
[Ken's reply---------------
This was addressed in firmware version v01.03.0000. Here are the release notes, if you are still experiencing this then please contact support and send the aircraft in for evaluation.https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... tes_en_20161226.pdf
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I'm think this is prettt much what happened to me but my GPS was good I have a thread over in the tech section been over a week still waiting for answers
2017-2-1
Use props
twh1968
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Something very similar happened to me today , but the mavic just started heading away from me . No stick input had any effect. Everything was showing normal on the app with 15 satellites locked in . If it hadn't been for a tree it was off and away, on only its second flight!
2017-2-1
Use props
DannyForNina
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4281 ft
United States

I sent it back (I wrote about it here earlier) and finally got it back. Different unit (different aircraft serial number).
Will try to fly it tomorrow (today it's snowing).
So far what I noticed that replaced unit also had v01.03.0300 firmware. I just downgraded it to v01.03.0200 immediately. Tomorrow we will see if my replacement unit have the same issue.
2017-2-10
Use props
fans777c4e4d
New

United States

Yes, happened to me Sunday 2/12/17.  Had 16 sat and got the weak GPS signal.  Then it went to the trees at 76.9 MPH with both sticks centered. Flight lasted 3.30 minutes. Damage to MAVIC.  Malcolm Haner
2017-2-14
Use props
fans5b939c3c
New
Flight distance : 79911 ft
United States

Here is another report. 18 fixes, 1 bar followed by warning GPS is off. Fortunately it recovered eventually and I was able to get it back, but super scary. I hope this can get addressed soon.
IMG_0006.PNG
2017-2-14
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mine did this just the other day.  It doesn't fly-away, per se, but drifts with the wind at the point you lose GPS.  It's at that point I'm reassured why I wear diapers when I fly this thing.  ATTI in high winds forces you to remember VERY QUICKLY the good ole days of only a gyro in an nitro R/C chopper.

HD only shows 7+ seconds (doesn't show fractions), but the REAL LIFE nanny outage was more like 9 seconds.  It's an eternity when you're battery is low & the Mavic is over seawater & offshore winds.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=afXiVu
2017-2-15
Use props
user1981787f68
lvl.1

Denmark

This just happened to me too today, straight after updating to the latest firmware. I had 18 satellites and my mavic suddenly switched to atti mode and flew extremely fast back towards me and and I had no control  over the drone. Luckily I regained GPS signal and was able to land the drone safely. The scariest feeling watching it fly away and it not respond. I have flow in the same flight  area for over 20 other flights and had no problems. http://healthydrones.com/main?sh ... ENERALNotifications
2017-2-16
Use props
user1981787f68
lvl.1

Denmark

user1981787f68 Posted at 2017-2-16 07:17
This just happened to me too today, straight after updating to the latest firmware. I had 18 satellites and my mavic suddenly switched to atti mode and flew extremely fast back towards me and and I had no control  over the drone. Luckily I regained GPS signal and was able to land the drone safely. The scariest feeling watching it fly away and it not respond. I have flow in the same flight  area for over 20 other flights and had no problems. http://healthydrones.com/main?share=XcMkxZ&page_id=GENERALNotifications

Just tried to get some advice from DJI, this was the result

Hello, very glad to help you! What can I do for you?
16:21

My drone flew away after updating to the latest firmware. I had 18 satellites and my mavic suddenly switched to atti mode and flew extremely fast back towards me and and I had no control over the drone. Luckily I regained GPS signal and was able to land the drone safely. The scariest feeling watching it fly away and it not respond. I have flow in the same flight area for over 20 other flights and had no problems. http://healthydrones.com/main?sh ... ENERALNotifications

other people having the same issue here http://forum.dji.com/thread-73707-3-1.html

Not sure what to do and if its a firmware issue or something wrong with my drone
16:23

Jeff
Im sorry for that. Can you try to calibrate the IMU and the vision sensors using the DJI assistant 2

ok, I wil try that, do you have instructions for this

why did this happen?
16:24

Jeff
Maybe the sensors are not calibrated.

why would it suddenly switch from 18 satellites into atti mode?

and then fly out of control?
16:29

Jeff
Sometimes it happen when sensors are not calibrated or the firmware is not updated.
16:30

i just updated the firmware to the latest version this was why I am worried

had no isses previously and no warning to update of calibrate on the app

Jeff
No, you dont need to worry about the latest firmware. Is is made to fixe previous bugs if theres any.
16:31

Well my drone just flew out of control

straight after updating

so maybe a bug in the update

Jeff
Maybe.
16:32

Do you fly drones yourself?
16:34

Jeff
I dont have one. Im sorry.

any chance I can talk to someone who actually flies drones and can advise me on this issue
16:35

Jeff
I don't think so. Im sorry.
2017-2-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That's pretty standard for first-level technical support in almost any industry: their job is to answer the phone / email / chat and search a database for solutions to the most common problems / questions. And as frustrating as it can be when you know yours isn't a simple upgrade-or-calibrate issue, it would be prohibitively expensive to have a building full of highly-trained engineers sitting around waiting to chat with customers.
2017-2-16
Use props
user1981787f68
lvl.1

Denmark

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-16 07:45
That's pretty standard for first-level technical support in almost any industry: their job is to answer the phone / email / chat and search a database for solutions to the most common problems / questions. And as frustrating as it can be when you know yours isn't a simple upgrade-or-calibrate issue, it would be prohibitively expensive to have a building full of highly-trained engineers sitting around waiting to chat with customers.

yeah you are right, I did get connected to someone else 10 minutes later but then my computer crashed and I couldn't open an investigation.
2017-2-16
Use props
Teesquar
lvl.1

United States

user1981787f68 Posted at 2017-2-16 07:17
This just happened to me too today, straight after updating to the latest firmware. I had 18 satellites and my mavic suddenly switched to atti mode and flew extremely fast back towards me and and I had no control  over the drone. Luckily I regained GPS signal and was able to land the drone safely. The scariest feeling watching it fly away and it not respond. I have flow in the same flight  area for over 20 other flights and had no problems. http://healthydrones.com/main?share=XcMkxZ&page_id=GENERALNotifications

I see in your log you have a Class D warning. I brought this up in another thread where that person's log showed the same warning. May be nothing, but you never know. Check towards the bottom of the thread. One person said it should not matter and another said he was having issues while flying in Class D.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;page=1#pid697278
2017-2-16
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

subscribed
2017-2-17
Use props
fans14ea4d15
lvl.2
Canada

thehippoz Posted at 2017-1-29 11:02
Wonder why you couldn't control it though. That's definitely not normal at least from what I've experienced. Even in atti, there is no loss of control ever. I did a lot of testing indoors because of weather, using atti, opti, gps and when out of opti and < 8 sats, it switches to atti and drifts backwards.

I always have control of the ac though. I'm used to flying toy drones though, so I don't have any problem controlling it in any modes. So your issue is going into atti with 18+ sats and locking you out? They have the flight logs, I'm sure they can see what happened on the sticks

I had this happen as well where control was lost when it randomly switched to Atti mode in an open field mid flight.

What I found out later was when the Mavic was in Atti mode, the input from the joysticks were DRAMATICALLY reduced, to the point where was almost non-existant.

If this happens, you can move the joystick back and forth a bunch of times and the normal level of control will become closer each time you move the joystick.

Seems obvious to me that there was programming in the Mavic so that if position was lost, the control would be very subtle so maybe user don't freak out and make a drastic maneuver. And I assume the reason you got more control as you move the joystick back and forth to the very ends, is then the programming thinking you want more control then it gave you, and increases.

Unfortunately this happened to me in windy conditions, and when lost position it took off towards a house, and all happened so fast that I BARELY got it to the ground before it slammed in to the side. I mean barely cause i kept the stick down the whole time but it CRAWLED downward with this extremely reduced (and convinced intentional by dji) control.
2017-2-18
Use props
fans14ea4d15
lvl.2
Canada

twh1968 Posted at 2017-2-1 14:28
Something very similar happened to me today , but the mavic just started heading away from me . No stick input had any effect. Everything was showing normal on the app with 15 satellites locked in . If it hadn't been for a tree it was off and away, on only its second flight!

The no control is from bad programming from DJI, where when it is in Atti mode, control is reduced (I assume for maneuverability).

Later i=I realized if you move joysticks back and forth to the very ends, on each cycle, the amount of control increases again, until after several times it is back up to full.

Obviously this SUCKS, as the Phantom 4 has NEVER done this to me, and when in close proximity to objects, there is no time to do things like that!!
2017-2-18
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

These pics are 7 seconds apart and it just dropped into ATTI mode.
Very Dangerous
EC73C7FB-D142-4C0F-B738-A8E41B990200.large.jpg
F5530EBF-6F3C-49EE-BE92-39882C3752F5.large.jpg
2017-2-18
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

As I understand, the GPS-Mode is degraded to ATTI if the compass give sensless Information, even if there are lots of satellites in sight.  So if there is no valid compass-Signal the mavic also ignores GPS, because GPS can't give heading without straight moving and this is impossible without working compass also.

With 1.03.300 they improved that handling, but only if one compass gives wrong values. if both are faulty there is no way to correct that.
I recommend checking the sensors prior every single takeoff in the menu. If there is more that alsmost no interference, try another Place or - if that dosn't help - calibrate the compass.

Today I found, that in a massive plastik outdoor-table is iron embedded. So there I saw strong magnetic interference. 5m(16ft) away there was no such Problem. If you calibrate at the wrong place (near iron or strong electric powerlines, that make the things worse!

But nevertheless: If the mavic switch to ATTI, it should be possible to controll the flight anyway! TBS or no reaction to any input must not occure! DJI need to improve that further more!  And where the logs proove that kind of problem they should not deny help!
2017-2-18
Use props
TLC.SCOT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1509364 ft
Germany

bitboy0 - mavic Posted at 2017-2-18 14:05
As I understand, the GPS-Mode is degraded to ATTI if the compass give sensless Information, even if there are lots of satellites in sight.  So if there is no valid compass-Signal the mavic also ignores GPS, because GPS can't give heading without straight moving and this is impossible without working compass also.

With 1.03.300 they improved that handling, but only if one compass gives wrong values. if both are faulty there is no way to correct that.

Did someone send the MAVIC to DJI and got it repaired without this GPS issue back
2017-3-20
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

TLC.SCOT Posted at 2017-3-20 09:02
Did someone send the MAVIC to DJI and got it repaired without this GPS issue back

Yes, I crashed in a tree. I send it to DJI and after that the MAVIC was fine again and is today.
2017-3-27
Use props
michaeln416
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595157 ft
Canada

I had one fly away like this where I had over a dozen GPS locked with a perfectly strong signal. The Mavic went into ATTI mode shortly after take off and blew away in the wind.

In my case it was due to calibrating the compass without realizing that there was a massive body of metal just 6" beneath the surface of where I was standing. I realised this after the fact.

I was able to get the Mavic most of the way back to me by flying in ATTI using the numbers on the RC to count down. When the battery dropped low enough it automatically switched into RTH and made it back with just a few percent to spare.

Now, I'm super careful about avoiding anything that may interfer with the compass when calibrating. I haven't had a problem since.
2017-3-27
Use props
videosnoken 7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 309144 ft
Norway

Yestereday .... Total loss og GPS signal i several minuts. Some wind made the drone drift allot in Atti mode. I have allot of other GPS based things , drones planes ,and they dont loss GPS like this... Is this a firmware issue ?  I made the Mavic home but I dont think a newbie would. The fligthlog is upploaded.

2017-3-27
Use props
RCkable5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427684 ft
United States

I know this thread is old, but I found it while searching for my issue...seems I am having this issue as well, or at least very close to the same issue. Hoping someone from DJI will see this if they don't catch my other thread.
My Thread
2017-8-11
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It did that to me the other day and with a tad bit over 2.4M ft of flight I did noticed it depends on where I fly some more than other places and some less or non what so ever.  It doesn't bother me since I can just manually take over the flight, but I did notice that happening more and more.  
2017-8-11
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Yup, after months of problem free flying, I've experienced this a few times, usually not long after take off.
2017-8-12
Use props
fansf0a89141
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17470771 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've had two fly away good range...... Oh wait. It wandered fire a bit got control got to 400 get lost gps and... Communication... And.. Gone.  X2 that's right x2  different locations one urban and one in the country zero man made interference. So DJI will you cuff out for the next one?
2018-3-23
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Malaysia

When we were doing diy quads,  we would have this problem of GPS being lost. Cause was usually due to GPS module crashing or glitching(comm bus hanging up or module reporting wrong position suddenly). . Usually it was due to hardware error on the GPS module. This usually resulted in spectacular fly away or crashes.

Now to safe guard out builds we have been using two gps modules either as a backup or for averaging. I guess DJI could consider that.
2018-3-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-23 18:08
When we were doing diy quads,  we would have this problem of GPS being lost. Cause was usually due to GPS module crashing or glitching(comm bus hanging up or module reporting wrong position suddenly). . Usually it was due to hardware error on the GPS module. This usually resulted in spectacular fly away or crashes.

Now to safe guard out builds we have been using two gps modules either as a backup or for averaging. I guess DJI could consider that.

Three GPS modules with Majority Vote!  
2018-3-23
Use props
bgendo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65443 ft
United States

Mine did the exact same thing. It's currently at DJI being repaired under warranty for a faulty gps module
2018-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules